2009-2010 Official Thread for Interviewees with <30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RecyclingBinh

Class of 2014 hopeful!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...if you have <30 on the MCAT and <3.5 GPA, do you mind post which schools you received interview invites from?

This will give the rest of us with low MCAT and GPA some hope. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all...if you have <30 on the MCAT and <3.5 GPA, do you mind post which schools you received interview invites from?

This will give the rest of us with low MCAT and GPA some hope. Thank you.

the silence is deafening.

I think interviewees that fit both those criteria will be few and far between. Usually, people who are on the lower end of one spectrum compensate for it by being on the higher end of the other.

For the record, OP, I'd suggest applying to a whole lot more DO schools. I mean, your chances at MD schools are poor with a 3.4/29, so they're virtually nil with a 3.3/23. It's great to aim high, but there comes a point when you need to be realistic about your chances and work with what you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
the silence is deafening.
While there will be interviews given to these applicants, it will probably be a late interview so give it time. I almost fit into this category and should have a second round interview at my state school this cycle based on pre-med advisor and previous years. But the school doesn't even begin reviewing applicants until September 1.

It's good to know MilkmanAl. I'm still hanging in there.

It can be discouraging when you only hear from people with perfect stats. Rather than listen to applicants...your school pre-med counselor is probably your best bet for advice. If you go to a tough UG a 3.5 might be worth more. The counseling office has probably seen hundreds of students in your situation and can give you a realistic idea of what to expect, you are more than your numbers and they probably know you best.

I think interviewees that fit both those criteria will be few and far between. Usually, people who are on the lower end of one spectrum compensate for it by being on the higher end of the other.

For the record, OP, I'd suggest applying to a whole lot more DO schools. I mean, your chances at MD schools are poor with a 3.4/29, so they're virtually nil with a 3.3/23. It's great to aim high, but there comes a point when you need to be realistic about your chances and work with what you have.

I agree. A 3.3/23 is not competitive at all. You want to retake the MCAT.

It can be discouraging when you only hear from people with perfect stats. Rather than listen to applicants...your school pre-med counselor is probably your best bet for advice. If you go to a tough UG a 3.5 might be worth more. The counseling office has probably seen hundreds of students in your situation and can give you a realistic idea of what to expect, you are more than your numbers and they probably know you best.

Pre-med counselors are not that helpful unless they've gone through the process themselves and are MD's.