2009-2010 Pathology applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseGollam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other applicants this cycle? I realize there's been quite a bit of negativity on this board, but hope it hasn't turned everyone away. I figured we needed a thread to talk about our applications/interview experiences and share some info on the programs.

good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this! I definitely haven't been swayed and I am super excited about going into Path and about the application process. Applied to way too many but oh well. :)

Good Luck too!

Thanks for starting this! I definitely haven't been swayed and I am super excited about going into Path and about the application process. Applied to way too many but oh well. :)

Good Luck too!

I hear ya... I saw the average was 20 programs, but I went waaaay over that!

Anyone get invites yet? Kind of exciting to see programs are downloading my app!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going for it this cycle too, though I haven't submitted yet. The stupid personal statement is making me gun shy :scared: I'm also a little nervous b/c I'm only applying to 8 programs d/t geographic restrictions. Yikes!

I wish you guys all the best of luck, and hopefully we'll get to meet up on the interview trail! Take care and I'll be excited to see what everyone has to say! :):xf::luck:

Staring at that big submit button now... Also nervous about my personal statement. Good luck to everyone on the path to becoming a pathologist. (See what i did there?).

I submitted my application first thing in the AM on Sept 1. Still waiting on 2 of my letter writers to get their letters in, but otherwise all the materials that depend on any action by me are already in. It was amazing to see some of the programs (I applied to 8) download my info from ERAS later that same morning! It's starting to get a little exciting. I guess we should start hearing about interviews in the next month or so. Good luck everyone, and have fun!

I applied to 26 programs, all within the southeast US and Ohio. I've not gotten any formal interviews yet. Seems like most programs will start reviewing applications around Oct 1.

Went ahead and submitted .Have all my letters except for the pathology one. Applied very broadly across the entire US.

I am also applying for pathology.
My LORs are not yet scanned so I haven't applied yet.
I think it takes 10 more days for scanning shall I wait till that time or apply now itself?

I too am excited. Applied to 29 schools mostly in the Northeast. Submitted the ERAS but still waiting on a few LORs.

Apply now. The programs can upload the letters when they get them. If your institution is anything like mine, who knows how long it will take them to upload them. Good luck.

Had another letter get delivered and scanned in yesterday. I'm just waiting on my last letter writer to deliver! I'll give them a couple more weeks before I send a reminder email.

Now, I just have to make sure I pass Step 2 CS next week;)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and also applying for path. I just wanted to wish everyone good luck in the match this year.

I've applied to 38 programs spread across the USA. Maybe I will run into some of you on the interview trail :D

Alright, I feel so much better now for applying to 30+ programs too when my friends are applying to well under that. I think the average # for path is 20 programs.

I'm assuming most here are applying AP/CP. Anyone applying to just AP or CP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm new to SDN (kind of sad since I'm an MSIV...) but I just submitted my ERAS for path ignoring the advice of well meaning friends! Good luck to all :)

Hello everybody. I'm new as well (as far as actually posting). I decided to submit tonight despite missing my 3rd letter.:xf:

I'm applying AP/CP to about 20 programs all over. I'm really excited!!
Best of luck to everyone :)

yeah, I too am applying for path in this round, and am new to sdn.
mstly applying in the northeast (18 or so total) and have heard from einstein and case.
wish you all the best.

Good luck to all of you applying for residency training in pathology. It is a great, intellectually rewarding career. Most pathologists I know clearly defy the stereotype of a boorish, macbre personality. At many medical schools, pathologists are frequently considered the best teachers, in addition to being valued colleagues. I am on a personal mission to attract the very best students into our field.

Dan Remick, M.D.
Professor and Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

I'm applying this year, too. Excited/nervous and also getting negative feedback from peers and friends who don't really seem to know anything about the field. Applied to 20 programs, submitted Sept. 1st with 1 LOR in, heard from Mich and Penn.

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

I'm applying now too. Submitted last week and got 4 interviews so far. definitely excited!

Do you mind telling us which programs are sending formal invites for interviews?

Thank you, Dr. Remick! I applied to 40 programs in the Northeast and, although I completed residency back in Europe and have a PhD from US and postdoctoral experience, I'm still nervous about getting interviews and matching. Any words of advice?

Best of luck to all applicants!!!
Joan

I'm excited to be in this round of app's as well! Good luck to everyone on this forum. Applied to 30 programs. So far, I've rec'd interviews for Utah, Case, and Emory.

Wow, congrats on the interviews everyone. Silly question here, but anyone get interviews with no LORs uploaded yet?

Just got my first interview today (from Scott & White). As far as LORs: Still waiting on my third letter writer to turn in my last letter.

ok dumb question -but do interview invites come via e-mail or snail mail?

ok dumb question -but do interview invites come via e-mail or snail mail?

I've been getting invites via the ERAS message system (forwarded to email) and straight to email (from Yale and Emory). If you look at past posts, I think some of them come via snail mail, but not sure which ones.

i got one. what tissue dye do you find work the best all around?

Last edited:
On a different note..

Just submitted. Did anyone else feel like they were going to have a panic attack after submitting? :scared:

Congrats to all on the interview invites :) Here's hoping I join those ranks soon!!

On a different note..

Just submitted. Did anyone else feel like they were going to have a panic attack after submitting? :scared:

Congrats to all on the interview invites :) Here's hoping I join those ranks soon!!

congrats on submitting. after submitting I felt a huge wave of relief! it's out of my hands at that point.

...has anyone else gotten an invite and then gotten the message recalled? Ouch.

Do programs send out invites in waves? So far I have Case, Metrohealth, and Einstein, but I know people have heard from a few I applied to.

I am an IMG, I guess Im going to start feeling the sting, hopefully not so bad though. I check my email compulsively, its a bad habit.

Interesting the quick replies to your residency applications. As an IMG I expect to be ECFMG certified within two weeks. The quick interview responses makes me worry that I should now actually wait for that certification before applying to places that require it. I wasn't expecting them to get around to looking at them so soon and was going to apply on the assumption that I would have my certificate by the time they actually got around to it. Now it looks like I could have my application tossed out because I applied to quickly.

Thoughts??

Just got Medical College of Wisc today :)

Do you guys want to try and assemble a list of places that have sent out some invites at this point, or do you think that's jumping the gun?

Continued wishes of good luck to all!:luck:

Do you guys want to try and assemble a list of places that have sent out some invites at this point, or do you think that's jumping the gun?

We were all once neurotic pre-meds - might as well become neurotic pre-grads too! Congrats on the invite. So far we have...

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White (Texas A&M)
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist

feel free to add programs you or your colleagues have received invites from.

Last edited:
Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU

TF, are the bolded ones all you? Strong work!! And thanks NG (and everyone else) for the support. It sounds cheezy, but it's really nice to come here and have a bunch of people who are kind and supportive, especially as we all go through this exciting but nervewracking process!

TF, are the bolded ones all you? Strong work!! And thanks NG (and everyone else) for the support. It sounds cheezy, but it's really nice to come here and have a bunch of people who are kind and supportive, especially as we all go through this exciting but nervewracking process!

You guys think its still early or should I think of a backup? I have no interviews yet.....

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU

I'm going to add University of Vermont. Got a letter in the mail from them yesterday.

The bolded ones are me, I've been extremely lucky.

You guys think its still early or should I think of a backup? I have no interviews yet.....

It's definitely still early! What has it been, a few weeks? No discouragement! :luck:

This is really exciting, I'm glad to see people excited. I'm kind of a huge nerd and I love studying path, and I don't care what anyone says. The pathologists at my instution are some of the nicest and smartest individuals I have met, and I would consider myself fortunate to work with them (and with you guys!).

It's still very early. Many schools (most are not yet listed) have not started sending out invitations yet - and the liisted schools hopefully will not finish sending invitations for at least another month - and hardly anyone has a complete application. I only have one LOR in. Still waiting on the others to come in. In my non expert opinion, I would not use timing as a criterion on which to see if you need a backup (at least not in September). I know I hope to get more invitations than I have at present (2/29 applied); I have yet to hear back from my home school - they usually send letters Oct- Nov.

That said, I still neurotically check my email and SDN to check for news. But I know its neurotic and done more as a nervous tic at a time when everything at this point is out of our hands.

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU
UVM
Univ of MN

strong work everyone!

Add Vanderbilt and MCV/Virginia Commonwealth

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU
UVM
Univ of MN
Vanderbilt
MCV/Virginia Commonwealth
UNM (Albuquerque)

Do interviews go out in batches? I am an american IMG, with good scores on step 1 and 2. People are now getting invites I am not, so naturally I am becoming Neurotic.

All I got so far, which was in the first like 3 days after submitting, was Einstein, Case, and Metrohealth... and I applied to a bunch.

I don't want to sound repetitive, about programs, but,
How would you classify or rate AECOM path program??
top, or middle tier?
I'm very interested especially bcos they are sabbath keepers...
Are there any other hospitals which offer this religious day outside NY??
Thanks a lot

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist