2009-2010 Pathology applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh? And where might I find that ratio? I can't believe I didn't know this was widely available.

I don't think this information is available. You can look up how may spots are available in a program and if they filled via the NRMP statistics. I've interviewed at what I would imagine to be the top 10 pathology programs and it seems as though 10 people are interviewed for every 1 position.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone scheduled their Tufts Medical Center interview? I got an invite almost 2 weeks ago. Still no response to my email.

And why would you wait that long for an e-mail reply rather than just calling and asking if they received your e-mail or perhaps committed some clerical error? Maybe they are weeding out people without common sense.

bump.

So I haven't gotten any post-interview correspondence from programs yet. Should I be worried? Are everyone else's mailboxes overflowing with "We love you" letters?

I'm mostly being facetious, but I am curious if/when programs have sent or will send the ever confounding letters and make the phone calls. Anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten one generic "we'll rank you highly" letter that I suspect the program sent to many applicants, two fairly personal emails from smaller programs that I think I made a good impression at (one of which I rotated at), and another letter to invite me for a second look.

I interviewed at quite a few places, however, so it seems that many programs haven't been contacting applicants post-interview. I don't think I would be overly worried if I were you.

I remember reading in past years' threads that Duke invites a subset of interviewees to a 'Second Look.' Has anyone gotten or heard of anyone getting correspondence from Duke regarding this?

I got an email from most of the programs that I interviewed at, some beating me to my thank you email. I got invited like... 3 days ago, to a second look at one program. Most of the thank you emails were generic.

AM IMG
89/85/pass all on first attempt. Worked and working on several research projects.

Eighteen invites, 25 rejects and interviewed at fourteen programs. My last interview was January 20th. Two days later I received a pre-match offer from a university program that I visited in October.

Maybe the key to getting the pre-match was doing two months of visiting student electives.

I am so grateful for the offer and so happy that this process is over.

Last edited:
Congrats dangrr. Ill post mine too.

American IMG
95/99/Pass all on first attempt
Did electives at US programs and got LORs

13 invites, and 29 rejections (13 notified me). 8 Interviews. Last interview was Dec 17th, had 3 more scheduled in January but was offered prematch from an earlier interview at a place I really liked.

Matched. Awaiting the 18th !
Looking at the posts, I would be surpirsed if too many people that post here scrambled today. That must have been horrendous - 15 spots

GME people say the match is bad this year - too many applicants for number of spots, and lots of AMGs will go without a spot. Kind of sad.

Matched (thankfully). As stated by PathMD2010, anxiously awaiting Thursday. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Matched! And I hope everyone else here did. Haven't posted much on this forum, but wishing folks the best of luck in two days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did match, but where oh where I do not yet know.;) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Match Day. Good luck to everyone. May everything work you well for you all.

Let's say a program does not fill a spot dedicated for CP only applicants. Does anyone know whether that position is added to the AP/CP pool of spots to fill? Or does the spot remain unfilled until the next match cycle?

Matched! And only one more day to wait before I find out where.

Let's say a program does not fill a spot dedicated for CP only applicants. Does anyone know whether that position is added to the AP/CP pool of spots to fill? Or does the spot remain unfilled until the next match cycle?

Don't think those will be "added" to the pool. They'll just be unfilled and available for scramble if needed.

GME people say the match is bad this year - too many applicants for number of spots, and lots of AMGs will go without a spot. Kind of sad.

For the match in general, pathology specifically, or both?

YAY, I matched at a place I'm really happy with. Hope that's the case with everyone else too!!

Congrats Lifehouse!

Thrilled to report I matched at my #1 :D

I hope everyone fared well!

For the match in general, pathology specifically, or both?

That was a general statement. Pathology currently has fewer AMG applicants by far than number of spots (something like 350 AMGs and 500+ spots). Of course, a lot of those 500 spots are not really quality programs.