2009-2010 University of Southern California (USC - Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied (250 word limit)

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine (250 word limit)

Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:
(A) the educational environment (250 word limit)
(B) the diversity of the entering class (250 word limit)

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences. (250 word limit)

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine. (250 word limt)

LOR Reqs

You should have a current Pre-Medical Advisory Committee evaluation OR two current letters of recommendation from science faculty who have instructed you, sent to the AMCAS Letter of Recommendation Service.

Additional letters of recommendation are optional. If you would like to provide additional letters for consideration, please submit them as part of a letter packet. The number of additional letters you submit will be at your discretion, however please be mindful of the fact that the Admissions Committee will be reading letters from 6,000 other applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is my dream school... course my grades needs to be pulled up to fit the average accepted applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top choices as well, after UC's.

I transferred from USC to Northwestern University as an undergraduate. Does having been a student at USC matter in admissions at all?

im also excited for USC :xf:

hopefully USC is just as excited for me!

The more I read about this school, the more I like it. I've applied but might be a long shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a secondary from USC yet? If so, can you please post the essay and the character/word limits? If not, do you know when USC usually sends out their secondary?

Thank you for your help!:oops:

Has anyone received a secondary from USC yet? If so, can you please post the essay and the character/word limits? If not, do you know when USC usually sends out their secondary?

Thank you for your help!:oops:
last year it seems like it was out on 7-11...so id guess sometime this week or next it would be coming out. Its not screened at least so we dont have to worry about that! :)

this is my dream school... course my grades needs to be pulled up to fit the average accepted applicant.
Don't think that you need to have stats similar to the "average accepted applicant" to get in. I got in with an MCAT 3pts below and a gpa that was just slightly above their average. I thought it would be a reach for me but I was offered one of the first interview spots and was one of the first people accepted (I am oos btw). As long as your stats are decent enough so that they know you will have no trouble in medical school...they will give you a fair shake. The interview is closed and all they really want to know is what your motivation for going into medicine is and whether or not you would be able to fit in at the school. My biggest advice would be to come across "chill" person who has interests outside of medicine. If anybody needs more info on the interview in a couple months when they start doing them just PM me. I will be starting at the school Aug 10th.

I transferred from USC to Northwestern University as an undergraduate. Does having been a student at USC matter in admissions at all?

I think it would give you a very slight advantage...I say this because USC really likes to take care of their own. Also when we met for 2nd look back in May. Someone asked how many people went to USC for undergrad and like 20%-25% raised their hands.

Good luck everybody!!
if anybody needs advice from someone who was accepted last cycle PM me. (Although I don't know if I will get to everything right away after when class starts...so dont be mad if it takes 3-4 days)

Late.

Last edited:
just got mine
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Questions 1-7 for both MD and MD/Ph.D. Program Application [/SIZE]
    1. Have you applied to any medical school in the past? Yes or No
    2. Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? Yes or No
  1. Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine.
  2. Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to: (A) the educational environment and (B) the diversity of the entering class.
  3. Please provide a summary of your most relevant and recent leadership experiences.
  4. Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activities (volunteer, research, serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc…) related to your interest in medicine.
  5. Are you planning on taking the August 2009 MCAT?. Yes or No
    *Please note: The Keck School of Medicine’s Office of MD Admissions cannot guarantee that results from September 2009 MCAT Exam Administrations will be included on your AMCAS Application by the November 1, 2009 deadline for submission of AMCAS Primary Applications. Please make sure that you confirm receipt of all MCAT scores directly with the AAMC.​

ahha on their fee payment form which you have to mail in if not paying by credit card it says "Instructions: Please print this form and mail it with a check or money order in the amount of $9,000.00, payable to the Keck School of Medicine. Please include your AAMC ID on your check, and refrain from stapling your check to the form. This non-refundable application fee is required to process your application. Without an application fee or approved fee-waiver, your application will not be processed."

most expensive 2ndary ever? :laugh::laugh:

Anyone know wth we are supposed to put for question 11 where it asks, to give a name of a faculty member wed like to meet with @ interviews? I mean seriously I didnt go to USC for undergrad how do i know:confused:. I guess just research for a random faculty member who does interesting research you like?

i was scared of this, i still have crap load of unsent secondaries that are gonna be delayed :scared:

just got it. they have the strictest pre-requisites of any school i've looked at so far :( i haven't taken molecular biology

just got it. they have the strictest pre-requisites of any school i've looked at so far :( i haven't taken molecular biology
yah its a pain, i dont meet their 30 semesters of humanities req:(...i have like 28. In cali the UC schools all but make you take bio chem, cell and molecular bio, so i never worried about that.

Does anyone know if they accept AP credit? That 30 semester hours of non-science is strict...

yah its a pain, i dont meet their 30 semesters of humanities req:(...i have like 28. In cali the UC schools all but make you take bio chem, cell and molecular bio, so i never worried about that.

i think i've got that, i was a philosophy major. are you still applying here? would you just take an extra humanities class if need be?

i'm sort of wondering how this works... can i be like "no, i haven't taken molecular biology...but i totally will take it if you accept me"

Anyone know wth we are supposed to put for question 11 where it asks, to give a name of a faculty member wed like to meet with @ interviews? I mean seriously I didnt go to USC for undergrad how do i know:confused:. I guess just research for a random faculty member who does interesting research you like?
I didn't see this question. Their payment screen froze Firefox too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've only taken 25 credits of non-sci and that's including 6 from AP. I don't see myself taking another 5 or 11 just to apply here. Is it even worth sending my application?

i think i've got that, i was a philosophy major. are you still applying here? would you just take an extra humanities class if need be?

i'm sort of wondering how this works... can i be like "no, i haven't taken molecular biology...but i totally will take it if you accept me"
I asked them about this a few months back, as long as you complete everything before matriculation it is fine. Im just going to take one easy community college psych class or something so i can be over 30.

Yeah, I've only taken 25 credits of non-sci and that's including 6 from AP. I don't see myself taking another 5 or 11 just to apply here. Is it even worth sending my application?
No, unless you are going to actually take the required classes.

OH man I just received it and realized the lengthiness of their prompts.

Does anyone know if I were to be accepted that I could just complete biochem in summer 2010?
yes

Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied (250 words)

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine (250 words)

Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:
(A) the educational environment (250 words)
(B) the diversity of the entering class (250 words)

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences. (250 words)

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine. (250 words)

I asked them about this a few months back, as long as you complete everything before matriculation it is fine. Im just going to take one easy community college psych class or something so i can be over 30.

how should i designate this on the secondary? should i put molecular biology as "in progress"?

ahhhh these requirements! its like if ur not a bio major ur screwed cause i definately have not taken molecular bio, nor did i plan to (who was it that told me it would be a good idea to be an anthropology major?)

question: I have taken genetics and advanced topics in biology - do either of those qualify for this molecular biology requirement?

Thanks

do AP credits apply towards the 30 hour humanities/english/etc crap? i'm on a quarter system and 30 semester hours is equivalent to 45 quarter hours, which is equivalent to FIFTEEN humanities courses at my school. i have definitely not taken 15 of those type of courses cuz i came into college with a ton of AP credit.

i called today and found out that ap credits can't satisfy the 30 humanities requirement :( Looks like I wont be submitting this secondary... At least I saved some money

i called today and found out that ap credits can't satisfy the 30 humanities requirement :( Looks like I wont be submitting this secondary... At least I saved some money

are you serious? wtf!

damn, thats ridiculous. welp, me too. there goes my chances at any cali schools. taking classes like pchem and analytical chem, i dont need busy-work classes like history 101 to waste my time. ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.