* *2009-2010 "What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...what do you think are the chances of US Osteopathic schools accepting Canadian citizens? I checked out a few schools and couldnt really see any info on whether they differentiate between canadians and american citizens...any thoughts? I am almost done applications but want to know if its worthwhile...my mcat is 27S and my gpa is 3.5...
any help/comments would be highly appreciate!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys...what do you think are the chances of US Osteopathic schools accepting Canadian citizens? I checked out a few schools and couldnt really see any info on whether they differentiate between canadians and american citizens...any thoughts? I am almost done applications but want to know if its worthwhile...my mcat is 27S and my gpa is 3.5...

I would think it would be hard for you because sadly you will be considered an international student. As close as Canada is to the USA, you are still in a different country. And i would think alot of these medical schools will pick students within their borders to fill most if not all of their seats. But you can give it a try. Goodluck.

Last edited:

Check out the CIB in my signature. Under each individual school it says, "Application Information --> Canadian students eligible: Yes/No."

This should be your first line of screening schools. Then check out their websites to see if you can find out how likely you are to be successful at each school. Then contact them individually, and ask to speak with an admissions counselor/advisor or the dean, if necessary.

If you get an idea of which schools seem Canadian-friendly, let us know which ones and why.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Canadian citizen and I went through the application process last year and am now attending KCOM. What I did was eliminated all the schools that I couldn't go to due to prereqs (there was a helpful chart of the AACOMAS website for this) and then emailed each school that I had the prereqs for and simply asked if they admit foreign students. I didn't take Psych, but did take English and the following schools would look at my application: PCOM, NOVA, CCOM (both chicago and arizona campuses), KCOM (Kirksville campus), UNECOM. This is obviously not an exclusive list of every school that takes Canadians, as I did make a couple decisions based on location etc. However, its something to work with. Your stats are actually very similar to mine (I had a slightly lower GPA I think) and I got multiple interviews and acceptances. I also had to defer all my interviews til January as I was travellnig and therefore was jockying for less spots then, i.e. you chances would be even higher than mine early in the application process.

So, the short answer, is absolutely YES it's worthwhile going through the application process. Only thing is you have to be able to figure out where your funding will come from because the US will obviously not give you federal funding. I have a combination of bank loan, OSAP (government funding) and a scholarship....

PM me if you have any more specific questions, but now that I am here it seems worthwhile all the extra hoops I had to jump through to get here...

good luck!!

Those are excellent suggestions!! Thanks guys! I'll email the schools and keep you guys posted :)

This is related to your question. A while ago, probably at least 3 months back I compiled a practice-rights list for American-trained DOs in Canada. Here's a repost of that post:

I'm going to give you all this information and then a link:

British Columbia: You can practice unrestricted by doing a one-year internship in the province and by completing the MCC examination. If you do not wish to do this, you will be restricted to manipulation.

Alberta: You must complete the MCC examination and pass it in order to practice.

Saskatchewan: It appears you can only practice "osteopathy" but the limitations aren't well defined.

Manitoba: As of 2002, osteopathic physicians are recognized and may practice without limitation.

Ontario: You must complete an allopathic residency but can practice as a DO.

Quebec: DO-friendly for 30 years. You have to do one year of an internship in the province and must pass the French-literacy/fluency test.

New Brunswick: Unlimited practice rights as a DO.

Prince Edward Island: Cannot practice and a licensure isn't planned for the future.

Newfoundland: As of 2002 there was a plan to provide a licensure pathway however this may not be fully instated at this current time.

Territories: If you can get licensed in a province you can get licensed in a territory.

Canadian Armed Forces: Unlimited practice rights.

This information comes from the Canadian Osteopathic Association:
http://www.osteopathic.ca/Practice%20Opportunities.2006.doc

All in all, you can be trained as a DO and practice in Canada. You are not extremely limited in practice unless you live on Prince Edward Island or in Saskatchewan. See the above document for all the details.

About me: 3.6 BCPM GPA, 3.23 Cum. MCAT in April. Strong background and interest in preventative medicine. Non-trad 31 YO male. Desire Sports Med specialization via FM or PM&R. Lived in Washington State 28 years. Want more sun in my life. Want a great education and excellent facilities more. BTW - it's DO all the way (if I had a 4.0 and 45T I would still apply exclusively to COM). With that said, here are my Top 7 I am planning on applying to for 2009 (unless you convince me to consider otherwise):

Most Desired to Least:
1) PNWU-COM
2) Western-COM
3) AZCOM
4) NSU-COM
5) TUCOM
6) LECOM-Bradenton
7) ATSU-SOMA

Please slap some sense in me! (I think the sun has blurred my judgement)
:slap:

So it seems the time is upon us again and a new crop of folks wanting to apply is already starting to ask the age old questions. I have taken the liberty of starting this new thread for the eager beavers who want to get a head start before the current application season is over.

You may get some really good advice by reading the prior years' threads. Take your time, do your best, and good luck to y'all.

Last edited:
About me: 3.6 BCPM GPA, 3.23 Cum. MCAT in April. Strong background and interest in preventative medicine. Non-trad 31 YO male. Desire Sports Med specialization via FM or PM&R. Lived in Washington State 28 years. Want more sun in my life. Want a great education and excellent facilities more. BTW - it's DO all the way (if I had a 4.0 and 45T I would still apply exclusively to COM). With that said, here are my Top 7 I am planning on applying to for 2009 (unless you convince me to consider otherwise):

Most Desired to Least:
1) PNWU-COM
2) Western-COM
3) AZCOM
4) NSU-COM
5) TUCOM
6) LECOM-Bradenton
7) ATSU-SOMA

Dude, PNWU all the way. I'm going there next year, so I might be biased. I did also get accepted to DMU and KCOM, but I like PNWU a whole lot more. Everything was very new and high-tech, the staff and students had such a vibe of happiness. Western-COM: California living may be too expensive and hectic for me. I've heard AZCOM has a weird cirriculum and the class size is like 220 (PNWU class size = 75). If you're from Washington, you'll love this school. Just my $0.02.

Most Desired to Least:
1) PNWU-COM
2) Western-COM
3) AZCOM
4) NSU-COM
5) TUCOM
6) LECOM-Bradenton
7) ATSU-SOMA

What about Touro NV? I don't know much about the school, but climate and region fits.

I am working with two residents who graduated from AZCOM and they're very good.

I think you'll be much better off just applying, going to all interviews and looking to see where you'd best fit. A good fit can really make or break your happiness in your pre-clinical years. Med school is hard enough without going somewhere you hate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed ShyRem. Thanks for creating this thread for 2009-10 wannabes like me. It's difficult to get a feel for the schools without actually going there (if I only had TONS O' $$$). The websites are biased and usually don't give you a great visual image of the facilities. I figured my question would be the most efficient way to gather info about each of the schools I am considering from first-hand non-admin sources (I'm sure others are considering a similar list). Hopefully this turns into an excellent discussion, unveiling any new changes/updates that potential applicants need to know about. :xf:

I think you'll be much better off just applying, going to all interviews and looking to see where you'd best fit. A good fit can really make or break your happiness in your pre-clinical years. Med school is hard enough without going somewhere you hate.

This is probably some of the best advice ever. I think most people look strictly at the academic side of a school, which is obviously important, but some discount the personality(ies) of a school which can make for a very miserable (or wonderful) first two years.

Agreed ShyRem. Thanks for creating this thread for 2009-10 wannabes like me. It's difficult to get a feel for the schools without actually going there (if I only had TONS O' $$$). The websites are biased and usually don't give you a great visual image of the facilities. I figured my question would be the most efficient way to gather info about each of the schools I am considering from first-hand non-admin sources (I'm sure others are considering a similar list). Hopefully this turns into an excellent discussion, unveiling any new changes/updates that potential applicants need to know about. :xf:

You can also check with some of the ADCOMs or just school administration and see if they would be willing to put you in contact with a student or two that could maybe give you some insight. I know I've gotten a few questions from potential applications this way in the past.

Question about future.

I'm going to graduate this June with an overall GPA of 3.5, science 3.3 with a significant upward trend (freshman GPA was about 2.6). I'm very interested in osteopathy (more so than allopathy). I'm taking the MCAT in March (28th), and I have good ECs including research, volunteer work, clinical experience, and a month working overseas (India). My GPA is borderline, so I'm wondering what to do with my year off. I've been researching SMPs, and I'm willing to do one if necessary, but they are pretty expensive. Some of my top choices are Western, PCOM, and Nova (btw, how do you choose!). Thanks for your input!

As of now, I have a 3.55 BCPM and 3.51 non-sci and 3.53 overall. Taking my MCAT in April. My question is this: My ochem grades last year were B- and B- for both terms. I retook my first term and raised that to a B+. I think I could pull of a B+/A this term, but is it worth the extra grief? Will the slight increase make any sort of impact on the adcoms?

As of now, I have a 3.55 BCPM and 3.51 non-sci and 3.53 overall. Taking my MCAT in April. My question is this: My ochem grades last year were B- and B- for both terms. I retook my first term and raised that to a B+. I think I could pull of a B+/A this term, but is it worth the extra grief? Will the slight increase make any sort of impact on the adcoms?

I seriously doubt that type of grade increase would have any impact on an admissions decision. My opinion is that one should only retake Cs or below.

Question about future.

I'm going to graduate this June with an overall GPA of 3.5, science 3.3 with a significant upward trend (freshman GPA was about 2.6). I'm very interested in osteopathy (more so than allopathy). I'm taking the MCAT in March (28th), and I have good ECs including research, volunteer work, clinical experience, and a month working overseas (India). My GPA is borderline, so I'm wondering what to do with my year off. I've been researching SMPs, and I'm willing to do one if necessary, but they are pretty expensive. Some of my top choices are Western, PCOM, and Nova (btw, how do you choose!). Thanks for your input!

Your GPA is spot on for DO schools and it is actually very close to mine. Just make sure to score 26+ on the MCAT and you should have a great shot at all of those schools. My only other advice would be to select schools which have a good history and are similar to the environment you fit in best at. For example if you enjoy a large campus with lots of other students Western, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, NSU are all great schools. If you like a more close knit group then places like LECOM-B would be good. Also apply to regions your comfortable with or have a support network to help you through school. It seems like everyone on SDN gets carried away with PCOM, CCOM, and DMU but in reality the best school is the one that fits your personality best and success in med school and going on to specialties is far more dependent on your personal work ethic than it is on your school. Good luck!

YEAAA ITS FINALLY MY TIME.:D Good Luck fellow 09 applicants.

Your GPA is spot on for DO schools and it is actually very close to mine. Just make sure to score 26+ on the MCAT and you should have a great shot at all of those schools. My only other advice would be to select schools which have a good history and are similar to the environment you fit in best at. For example if you enjoy a large campus with lots of other students Western, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, NSU are all great schools. If you like a more close knit group then places like LECOM-B would be good. Also apply to regions your comfortable with or have a support network to help you through school. It seems like everyone on SDN gets carried away with PCOM, CCOM, and DMU but in reality the best school is the one that fits your personality best and success in med school and going on to specialties is far more dependent on your personal work ethic than it is on your school. Good luck!

I have a question about my year off. Would it be helpful to do a Special Masters Program?

I have a question about my year off. Would it be helpful to do a Special Masters Program?

Wait for your MCAT to decide this...it be quite expensive if you're just looking for a nudge on your application. To some, it's really their last shot at med school, so I would avoid that.

It depends, SMP's are generally for students who have poor GPA's. Your gpa is borderline to where it could help but it could also hurt you. They other thing to consider is that SMP's can be quite pricey depending on where you go, so it can take away from the $230K (not sure on this figure) of government loans you can take out. I think you stand a great chance at most DO schools if you apply early and just keep up with your EC's. Also take the time to write a good PS as well as EC descriptions for your applications. Some people don't think this helps that much but when your in the median area this helps but applying early is the key.

Another note, make sure you research what LOR's the different schools require. I was never marked complete at PCOM because they require a letter of good standing from your dean which I didn't have nor did I bother to get.

Last edited:

SMP = high MCAT, low gpa. Most take students with cgpa below 3.3. I really don't think it would be necessary in your case. Like most are saying too, they are super expensive. It's a good tool and has gotten a lot of people into med school, but I'm not sure you'll need it. If you get your MCAT back and it's a 38 and you want to go to Harvard, then sure ... you'd want to bring the 3.5 to a more elevated level by doing an SMP, other than that ... you should be a good candidate for MD and DO.

I've been checking out PNWU at the advice of a D.O I work with, and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. So much so that I've completely forgotten about the minor M.D complex I have(had).

I'm checking out their website though, looking over their numbers/acceptance rate and I'm a bit confused as to where I stand.

2 quarters away from graduation, I've managed to pull together a 3.42/33T with a pretty sorry 3.1 science GPA (Kept > 3.5 for the past 2 yrs, including upper division bio's and some physics)

I've got 1.5 years of volunteering at a hospital, a 4 month medical internship in Sub-Saharan Africa, 6 months shadowing an MD in FM, 1 year of bench research that turned me off to research:sleep::cool:, a second author pub in a forensic nursing journal (work-related, not all that exciting..), and some small-time E.C's with very minor degrees of 'leadership' involved (Board member of one, student senate, Frat philanthropy organizing, clubs I was interested in..)

Their website lists avg stats as 3.42 and a ~25 MCAT
...but then they say that they received "27 applications per seat"...

Are they looking for a particular type of applicant?? Where exactly do I stand?:confused:
I'm also interested in Western's "Northwest track"
(Can you tell where I want to wind up? :rolleyes:) and potentially the school they're opening up in Oregon. Should I even bother applying there? (To Western)

My other concern is about the 'culture' at D.O schools. Ideally I'd like to attend a school without an agenda/complex, i.e hyping OMM/advantages of osteopathy as much as possible while disparaging allopaths (A form of self-vindication I guess? I've heard of this type of atmosphere existing at certain D.O schools).

So...can anybody who attends/has visited the school shed any light on the atmosphere at PNWU?

Oh, and can someone tell me why there are hardly any D.O residencies in Washington or Oregon? (Seriously, there's a whole.....1, count them: 1 Residency programs in Washington)

I've been checking out PNWU at the advice of a D.O I work with, and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. So much so that I've completely forgotten about the minor M.D complex I have(had).

I'm checking out their website though, looking over their numbers/acceptance rate and I'm a bit confused as to where I stand.

2 quarters away from graduation, I've managed to pull together a 3.42/33T with a pretty sorry 3.1 science GPA (Kept > 3.5 for the past 2 yrs, including upper division bio's and some physics)

I've got 1.5 years of volunteering at a hospital, a 4 month medical internship in Sub-Saharan Africa, 6 months shadowing an MD in FM, 1 year of bench research that turned me off to research:sleep::cool:, a second author pub in a forensic nursing journal (work-related, not all that exciting..), and some small-time E.C's with very minor degrees of 'leadership' involved (Board member of one, student senate, Frat philanthropy organizing, clubs I was interested in..)

Their website lists avg stats as 3.42 and a ~25 MCAT
...but then they say that they received "27 applications per seat"...

Are they looking for a particular type of applicant?? Where exactly do I stand?:confused:
I'm also interested in Western's "Northwest track"
(Can you tell where I want to wind up? :rolleyes:) and potentially the school they're opening up in Oregon. Should I even bother applying there? (To Western)

My other concern is about the 'culture' at D.O schools. Ideally I'd like to attend a school without an agenda/complex, i.e hyping OMM/advantages of osteopathy as much as possible while disparaging allopaths (A form of self-vindication I guess? I've heard of this type of atmosphere existing at certain D.O schools).

So...can anybody who attends/has visited the school shed any light on the atmosphere at PNWU?

Oh, and can someone tell me why there are hardly any D.O residencies in Washington or Oregon? (Seriously, there's a whole.....1, count them: 1 Residency programs in Washington)

If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?

Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the Pacific Northwest region (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT) either come from a rural background and/or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved population.

(It was on the FAQ) Sorry, that's all I've got. Hopefully someone else knows more.

I think this is generally the exception not the norm. I don't think many places will speak badly of the allopathic education. They are much much more alike than different.

That being said some schools want to distance themselves by being unique and really push OMM or what not.

Additionally you should know that DO's can participate in the allopathic match which should give you considerably more places for residency if you were to choose that route.

I've actually been looking into the DO v MD match, and from what I've read, it appears that this is only true IF a DO student is unable to obtain a DO match (DOs apparently match a few weeks prior to MD's, so it seems to be a "second chance" sort of thing).

From my understanding, if I wanted to stay in Wa, I'd have to apply to the 1 DO residency program we have, and hope/pray I pick up an allo match...:scared::(

I've actually been looking into the DO v MD match, and from what I've read, it appears that this is only true IF a DO student is unable to obtain a DO match (DOs apparently match a few weeks prior to MD's, so it seems to be a "second chance" sort of thing).

From my understanding, if I wanted to stay in Wa, I'd have to apply to the 1 DO residency program we have, and hope/pray I pick up an allo match...:scared::(

This is correct. Once you match in osteopathic program you are committed to attending that program. Of course its the same for the allopathic, but because the osteopathic one comes first you should only apply to those you absolutely want. This is a big flaw in the program I think, and a reason I'd support a combined match.

This is correct. Once you match in osteopathic program you are committed to attending that program. Of course its the same for the allopathic, but because the osteopathic one comes first you should only apply to those you absolutely want. This is a big flaw in the program I think, and a reason I'd support a combined match.

The bolded part is only true if you choose to enter the DO match. This is optional. You can certainly choose not to apply for the DO match and only apply for the MD match--which is what a lot of DO students choose to do.

It's your choice.

Holy Lordy! Another round is starting?? I remember when I posted here as someone as lost as a headless fly and now with multiple acceptances >.< :laugh::laugh:

thanks folks for the help! :love::thumbup::luck:

Holy Lordy! Another round is starting?? I remember when I posted here as someone as lost as a headless fly and now with multiple acceptances >.< :laugh::laugh:

thanks folks for the help! :love::thumbup::luck:

Ditto, but these multiple acceptances are still hard to figure out. There is no clear. Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, ...

and as CB would say to returning thanks, donate! =)

:luck::luck: to the new cycle

How many schools do you think is best to apply too? I'm just interested in how many people typically apply to?

Thanks

Ditto, but these multiple acceptances are still hard to figure out. There is no clear. Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, ...

and as CB would say to returning thanks, donate! =)

:luck::luck: to the new cycle

ahaha I will donate for sure!!! Right now, I am trying to save up more $$; all the interviews and travel left my pockets many big holes to fill:eek::eek:

How many schools do you think is best to apply too? I'm just interested in how many people typically apply to?

Thanks

I applied to 9 and got 6 interviews. I did not fill out for two out of the remaining three and if you are interested in NYCOM or PCOM apply early early EARLY!!!!! :laugh:

If you are also applying to MD schools this number does not apply at all.... I applied to like 20+ schools and got 4 interview invites...

all the best!!!!! :thumbup::luck:

Hello, all -

I'm hoping some of you might have a bit of insight you could share...

I made a 'career change' just after graduating from college, and am taking pre-req science courses at a local University. My original plan had been to take Physics 1 and 2 during another local University's summer session -- but unfortunately they will only offer it only during the day, when I work.

There is an opportunity for me to take these courses at a local community college, however. Do DO programs generally accept physics courses from state community colleges? Again, all of the other science pre-reqs will be from a university.

Thanks for any insight you might provide.

Yes
Just get an A

Hello, all -

I made a 'career change' just after graduating from college, and am taking pre-req science courses at a local University. My original plan had been to take Physics 1 and 2 during another local University's summer session -- but unfortunately they will only offer it only during the day, when I work.

There is an opportunity for me to take these courses at a local community college, however. Do DO programs generally accept physics courses from state community colleges? Again, all of the other science pre-reqs will be from a university.

I took Physics I in a community college (long story; had to do with engineering), and I got an A-. Pre-med advisor told me that it'll be fine; "just get an A in Physics II". So I got an A in Physics II in my current college. I was never asked about why I took that first semester in the CC, but I'm sure that you don't HAVE to get an A in order for it not to be a problem. I wouldn't worry too much, depending on the rest of your transcript of course.

Also, don't listen to pre-med advisors. :D

Hello, all -

Took physics2 at uni and got a C.
Retook it at community college and made a B.
It came up briefly in one interview but I highly doubt it was an issue.

The bolded part is only true if you choose to enter the DO match. This is optional. You can certainly choose not to apply for the DO match and only apply for the MD match--which is what a lot of DO students choose to do.

It's your choice.

Yeah very true. I failed to mention that. A good chunk of DO's apply only in the ACGME (MD) Match.

My app is still being processed but I submitted it Jan 26th. Did I just throw away a lot of money on applying to schools? Am I screwed? lower gpa ~3.1 26p applied to 16 schools to many probably.

When is the deadline to the schools, and what is the curent processing time for aacomas? For some schools the secondary app deadline is in march where aacomas is somewhere around middle of feb so if you get in under the deadline then you still have a shot.

My app is still being processed but I submitted it Jan 26th. Did I just throw away a lot of money on applying to schools? Am I screwed? lower gpa ~3.1 26p applied to 16 schools to many probably.

Bottom line is that you submitted your application very late in the cycle, so your chances have been considerably diminished. However, you still have a chance, and you shouldn't lose hope; people DO interview and get accepted late in the cycle.

I am a paramedic finishing up a non-traditional (pass/fail) bachlors in health arts and sciences. I realize this does not put me in good stats for med school.
Where could I take my pre-reqs in a post-bacc program that would set me up well for admittance to a DO school in 2 years? In your opnion, if I acheived good grades, had volunteer experience and a good MCAT scores, would I have a chance at American DO schools?
Thank you very much

The woman I talked to said that processing is 4-6 weeks. So even if I catch the 4 weeks then I'll be cutting it very very close for secondary apps. Hope is not lost it is just scarce. The reason I applied so late is because I wanted to wait for my semester grades to come out. :xf:

Hello, all -

This is purely anecdotal, but I don't think you HAVE to get an A -- one of my friends took vector calc at a CC (not one of the pre-reqs but a difficult class nonetheless), made a C and still got into a reputable school (MD, but I'm sure he would have been fine applying DO as well). Good luck.

The woman I talked to said that processing is 4-6 weeks. So even if I catch the 4 weeks then I'll be cutting it very very close for secondary apps. Hope is not lost it is just scarce. The reason I applied so late is because I wanted to wait for my semester grades to come out. :xf:

That wasn't a good choice! You should have applied ASAP; you could have just updated them with your new grades if you wished.

Good luck! :luck: