DisabledVet

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Chicago
Status
Podiatry Student
I'm reposting this from the 2008 chances cycle because I wanted to get the nontrad perspective. How badly will not having any research hurt me? Also, can anyone give me any advice on studying for the BS, I've only taken Bio 1 and Cell Bio and I'm just getting slaughtered on the BS.

Thanks in advance for any input.

University of Utah
Economics Major '01
Biology Major or Minor '09
Chemistry Minor '09

3.1 non-science
3.60 science

Dean's List twice while doing science prereq's

MCAT: 24S 9v, 8p, 7bs

Relevant Employment:

1 yr worked as a clerk for a prominent cancer hospital
several years in the US navy

EC:

300 hours volunteer work (across 3 years) as an officer for a non-medical service organization

I'm 32 now with a family, worked part or full-time all through school.

I was hoping to apply in the 2009 cycle for DO schools, but with the MCAT score I just got back it looks like a retake at least. Also, I dont have any research, how strongly do DO schools want research. I have one year in a non-science masters program, and will have another year of taking upper division science credits, but most of this will be unseen in my primary to the schools.

Would appreciate your evaluation, and advice on improving the bs score for an MCAT retake.

Main schools I am interested in:

LECOM Bradenton
LECOM Erie
DMU
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU
Nova
OSU
OU
Pikeville
VCOM

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
yeah, see if you can get the MCAT up a few points.

re: the BS section - do you have any review materials? do you know anyone who did Kaplan or something similar? the high-yield problem solving guides could help you pinpoint where you are making errors, and will hammer home key information.

nontrdgsbuiucmd

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2008
my own little world
Status
Medical Student
yeah, see if you can get the MCAT up a few points.

re: the BS section - do you have any review materials? do you know anyone who did Kaplan or something similar? the high-yield problem solving guides could help you pinpoint where you are making errors, and will hammer home key information.
The point above is a good one, I had a BAD bio experience on the MCAT due to lack of familiarity with some topics.

What I'm doing & suggest:

1) go to aamc.org, click "mcat" "prepare for the mcat" "bio section" (pdf doc - around 10 pages single spaced). Make sure you know every topic there.

2) read/review (for me it is reading the first time) everything on physiology & human body functioning in a basic biology textbook, in mine that's 200 pages or so, that's what buried me last time. (i.e. renal functioning, endocrine system, prenatal heart functions, etc).

3) buy examkrackers biology book, I've got the basic one + "1001 bio questions" and I'm intending to do every darn one of those.

4) study really hard - I'm adding 2 weeks to my "study for the mcat full-time" schedule, upping it to 6 weeks fulltime, no work or other obligations.

good luck & godspeed

OP
D

DisabledVet

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Chicago
Status
Podiatry Student
Thanks for the replies.

I've got the MCAT EK Bio book, and I'm going to re-read it and do all of the mini tests. I'm also reading several small Mosby physiology books that are very detailed, and Marieb's A&P textbook. I am going to pick up the 1001 questions in MCAT bio also.

Any other advice on getting better in bio? I read that ebola passage several times and I couldn't even correlate the questions and answers, I was totally lost.

Also, can anyone tell me about research? Will my lack of research really hurt my DO application? Should I look for something right now? I'd rather put the time back into the MCAT.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
don't get too bogged down in detailed physio. there isn't even that much physio on the exam. i would use the EK book as your content guide. if you can get more practice elsewhere, great.

re: research - no, i don't think it will hurt your DO app. i had minimal research experience, and i did fine in the MD pool