2009 Med School Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormisover87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
although there are plenty of people on SDN that will tell you otherwise, your stats are great and you would probably be competitive anywhere. probably your biggest weakness-- based on just the info you provided-- is your lack of character/uniqueness/personality. in the time before you apply, you might want to devote yourself to something you truly enjoy. do anything you can to not look like a cookie-cutter applicant.

Hey guys I need your advice. What should I do between now and the summer when I start applying to med schools? Here is a brief summary of my resume:

36 MCAT, all 12s
3.7 GPA from Ivy League College
2 1/2 years research experience, 1 publication
3 semesters immunology TA
mentor for local trailer park kids, on the e-board for the school club
shadowed 3 physicians
some volunteering experience in hospital.

What should I being doing to become a better applicant before I apply this summer? What is my biggest weakness?

Also what kinds of schools should I be looking into? Like what would be a reach and a safety?

Thanks a lot.

Above is correct about diversifying yourself. Take up a hobby and post it on your AMCAS. AMCAS is not just about putting things you think sound impressive and what the ADCOMS might find important. Its also for you to put what is important to you, what defines you. Anyways, enough preaching. Your biggest weakness is probably that you have only done "some" hospital volunteering. I don't know what some means, but it doesn't sound like a lot. My advice is to volunteer once a week at a hospital until at least May 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
That "some volunteering experience at a hospital" jumped out at me. Saying it that way usually means you don't have enough. Consider medical volunteerism in another venue, if you do have 150 or so hours in a hospital to show a breadth of experience in various clinical environments. The shadowing is good (with variety). TA and mentor shows good leadership. The research experience is outstanding and gives you a great chance at the high-selectivity research-intense schools (if that's important to you). I agree you have a good shot wherever you care to apply, assuming enthusiastic LORs, an excellent PS, and good interviewing skills.

AMCAS (MD application service) directs you not to list high school experiences on the application, as adcomms will not regard them. The exception is if you continued the experience into the college years. Everyone's experience varies as to what department of a hospital, type of clinic, hospice, or nursing home experience is more fun and interesting. It would be best to ask folks at the school you're at, what their experience has been locally. Since you essentially have NO clinical experience to report, might I suggest you get that going ASAP, assuming you plan to apply in June 09, as this is a major flaw in your application. More hospital volunteering might be a good idea, so you could potentially include the HS experience you mentioned.

Hobbies/arts interests/sports is important to mention, so adcomms won't think you've been nothing but a lab rat for 4 years, never getting out to see the sky or talking to another human. Computer animations don't count. "More hobbies" is less important than having passion and depth of experience in what you've already described.

noob question

so where do you put your hobbies and such in your resume?
another noob question what is adcom? is there a sticky somewhere about this stuff sorry

noob question

another noob question what is adcom? is there a sticky somewhere about this stuff sorry

you can put hobbies in the "work/activities" section on the primary app. part of the idea about hobbies, and EC's more generally, is that you are doing something you are passionate about and contributes something to someone. so, merely playing intramural tennis is not a great EC to include, but starting a tennis club, being team captain on a collegiate team, or giving tennis lessons to high school kids are more ideal activities.

ADCOM = admissions committee
EC = extracurriculars
LOR = letter of recommendation
LOI = letter of intent
there's more and you'll learn as you go.

There is a category called Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations where you can list them.

My personal feeling is that you should list something like tennis if you played regularly for a period of time, like more than a year. Listing sports involvement makes you look well-rounded. And they like to see that you have a stress reliever like that (from what I was asked at interviews). Whatever you write about it in the narrative, should express how important it is for you. If you are passionate about what you do, express that passion. If you were teaching it or playing competitively (even intramurals), I'd definitely say that.

oo i see.. thanks!
yea.. i have no idea whats on the primary app and such lol...... i should ask my prehealth advisors about it