2009 western university..anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdmax

Accepted PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone already sent thier applications to pharmcas for western university, can you mention your stats, i am wrapping up my personal essay and i should be done by next week...anyone else..dude this is frustrating :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

still working on it...soo many questions....

Members don't see this ad :)
guys what are you talking about..am i missing these questions?:scared:

thanks..i just checked it and it seems long ,,,is it considered early to submit the application by sept or its late?

thanks..i just checked it and it seems long ,,,is it considered early to submit the application by sept or its late?

As long as you meet the deadline, it's never too late. Late means submitting after the deadline. ;)

Taking into account rolling admissions and a November 3rd deadline, being complete by September isn't going to be considered early.

I know its optional, but did anyone attach a 2x2 photo to their Western Supplemental?

I gave up on Western's Supplemental because there is just way too much effort for that app compared to most schools. And I also found out that they don't accept AP credit which is lame. There goes $40 down the drain. But I am replacing Western on my list with USN. :)

yeah i HATE the evaluation forms. why can't they just go by eLORs on pharmcas? they have eval questions too.

I know its optional, but did anyone attach a 2x2 photo to their Western Supplemental?

I have so many copies of my mugshot left from last year that I think I'm planning to attach one anyways for the supplemental app.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i HATE the evaluation forms. why can't they just go by eLORs on pharmcas? they have eval questions too.

I agree. That's why I feel so bad asking my evaluators to fill one out separately by paper.

so submitting the application in sept is not early, i am still working on my essay, anyone is done with that part and feel confident about it

I called the admissions office and talked to a lady there..and she said that they dont review on a rolling basis. So when you send them in..just make sure to send them a few weeks before Nov 3rd just to make sure they recieve it and if there are any delays in the mail

my friend sent hers in on the last week of oct, AFTER i sent mine...and she got faster response than me. So it pretty much is based on if you are a good candidate or not.

another good thing is that when they look at your GPA they recalculate it based on your repeated classes. i remember I got a two c's and a b in g-chem and they wanted me to repeat those for this application cycle, and they said that they would use my new grades because they were a gazillion times better!

good luck with the western supp! hang in there....dont let western weed you out!!

plus if you are a cali resident, your chances are better than non residents

Hey guys. I am p1 student at western. The school is really underrated. The professors and faculty really try to teach you the material and always available to help you. We don't use any books. The exams are spaced out nicely. Everything on the exams come from lectures. We are also on the modified block schedule, so we have 2-3 classes at a time. The exam averages have been 86-90 percent. The nearby cities, Claremont and Laverne are really nice to live in. I am really happy that I chose this school.

Good luck to everyone applying and i really hope to see you guys here.

If you have any questions, i can try to answer them. The interview questions/advice is posted in the interview section.

hi, did anyone not use the space provided by western in the pdf file and type it up on Microsoft word? do you know how long the answers to each question should be?

hi, did anyone not use the space provided by western in the pdf file and type it up on Microsoft word? do you know how long the answers to each question should be?
Straight from the application questionnaire page:
"Please use only the space provided. Do not attach continuation pages or write answers on the back. This form may be reproduced on a computer, but the same format and spacing must be used."

Western was the first Supplemental Application that I did and it took me a while. I finished it back in Early August and mailed it in Mid August. For the photo's, I believe it is required but by law they can not force you to put the picture, there for it's optional.

I called the admissions office and talked to a lady there..and she said that they dont review on a rolling basis. So when you send them in..just make sure to send them a few weeks before Nov 3rd just to make sure they recieve it and if there are any delays in the mail

my friend sent hers in on the last week of oct, AFTER i sent mine...and she got faster response than me. So it pretty much is based on if you are a good candidate or not.

another good thing is that when they look at your GPA they recalculate it based on your repeated classes. i remember I got a two c's and a b in g-chem and they wanted me to repeat those for this application cycle, and they said that they would use my new grades because they were a gazillion times better!

good luck with the western supp! hang in there....dont let western weed you out!!

plus if you are a cali resident, your chances are better than non residents

wow is that true? no rolling? so doesn't benefit me to send it in earlier? man i was stressing out trying to finish it quickly. problem is i have 15 schools and many of them have long supps, so its taking me a while to get to some schools and i would love to have a few i can procrastinate on.

Western was the first Supplemental Application that I did and it took me a while. I finished it back in Early August and mailed it in Mid August. For the photo's, I believe it is required but by law they can not force you to put the picture, there for it's optional.

I sent mine out on 9/8. I thought the school is on rolling admission, so I tried to get the app out asap and since it states that photo is optional, I did not include one. Do you think that would negatively affect my application?

Dont know. How I see is that, If the admission asked for something, there's a reason for it. So, generally when ur in a competition, you want to give the judge WATEVER they're asking for. It only took me 15 min of my life to get that picture and paste it on my application. U R SPENDING $50 supplemental + $40 Pharmcas on this. why not go all the way.

People debate whether to include optional photos, but I decided to include one. As long as you're submitting a clean, professional photo it can't hurt your application. If anything, I think having a face which which to associate the application should help them remember you when it comes time to decide on admits. :thumbup:

wow is that true? no rolling? so doesn't benefit me to send it in earlier? man i was stressing out trying to finish it quickly. problem is i have 15 schools and many of them have long supps, so its taking me a while to get to some schools and i would love to have a few i can procrastinate on.

Just make sure to answer your questions concisely and not have any crap in it. But try to send in your app soon because you want to make sure they receive everyhting.

and i am not sure if i said this...when they take the higher grade of a repeated course..it is only done if it is reported on pharmcas when you e-submitted your application...if you have anymore questions about western...just PM me...i have constantly been emailing admissions counselors about things like this..

you are aware that most schools that are rolling admissions never admit that they are.

Unless WesternU decided to do something different this year, they are a rolling admissions school whether they want to admit it or not.

Btw, I applied to WesternU last year, and their supplimental application is the most time consuming application i've ever done. I have to admit though, if you do Western's application first, you will find all the other applications easy as pie to fill out (because you've already answered every inconceivable question out there).

you are aware that most schools that are rolling admissions never admit that they are.

Unless WesternU decided to do something different this year, they are a rolling admissions school whether they want to admit it or not.

Btw, I applied to WesternU last year, and their supplimental application is the most time consuming application i've ever done. I have to admit though, if you do Western's application first, you will find all the other applications easy as pie to fill out (because you've already answered every inconceivable question out there).

hahhaa....this is absolutely true....lol...their 12 question supplemental is the king of supplementals lol

I always thought Western is a rolling admissions school because they tell you to submit your application early. But I also don't recall it saying anywhere that they are a rolling admissions school.

Since someone with the same PCHK date as me has received an interview invite, if I don't receive one by the end of this week I think I'm out of the running :(

I think you are talking about UOP, this is a thread for Western...:thumbup:

I always thought Western is a rolling admissions school because they tell you to submit your application early. But I also don't recall it saying anywhere that they are a rolling admissions school.
From http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/apply:
"Depending upon the number of applications received, interviews may be conducted on a rolling basis. The College of Pharmacy will review completed applications, conduct interviews and make admissions decisions throughout the admissions cycle, so complete your primary as soon as it's available!"

I just mailed out my supplemental...even though it's already pretty late in the rolling cycle.

Good Luck to those whose applied for FALL 2009 Cycle!!!!

(including myself :))

I just mailed out my supplemental...even though it's already pretty late in the rolling cycle.

its not to late. I kept in touch with Valerie Valle in the Admissions office. She said they are not on rolling admissions. I asked her a few times because I honestly thought it was too. But they review apps after the deadline. That is why the first interview is scheduled on dec 6th.

Also there is this girl i worked with and she sent her app at the end of october and still got an interview..where i sent mine in early sept and didnt get one....so still have hope you guys!

i feel way more confident this year...than last!!

I just went to the Info Session on Saturday and the lady said it's not on rolling admission because they evaluate all applicants. I heard the adcom give points on certain criteria (i.e. GPA, essay, community service, etc) and those with higher number of points tend to get interviewed first on a rolling basis.

Yeah, I guess then I was confused by what the counselor said. Here is what an e-mail said:

Western E-mail said:
Our admissions process is not considered a rolling basis, however, the interview process is. It is definitely best to turn in your application as soon as possible. We have received over 400 apps already.

Thank you,
Mrs. Daniell Mendoza

Admissions Counselor

I'm still confused. :confused:

Last edited:
Here is what I think they are saying...

They have 400 completed apps and are looking over all of them till close to December and the ones that have the highest point totals get interviews first which depends on how many they get done by time they start sending out interview acceptance. If you send an app at the last minute then its likely you will be in like 800th or more in line (assuming they get like 1000 or so total don't know what the actual number will be) and they won't get to you by probably January or later which puts you at a disadvantage since now they have less interview spots and your competing with lots more applicants than the earlier ones who were reviewed before the first interview acceptance. What they are saying about not being rolling is that you aren't at a disadvantage if you sent it out early September(still considered sort of early) compared to someone who was super early and sent it out late June.

I just mailed today. phuz. Still working on UCSF.

Hey everyone,

Why does Western want separate LORs? Does this mean that the ones on Pharmcas are not looked at by them? And so means that letter writers can use the same letter for both Western and Pharmcas? I think this is a big hassle for letter writers. Please let us know if you know the answer to this

Hey everyone,

Why does Western want separate LORs? Does this mean that the ones on Pharmcas are not looked at by them? And so means that letter writers can use the same letter for both Western and Pharmcas? I think this is a big hassle for letter writers. Please let us know if you know the answer to this

letters or rec on pharmcas are not forwarded to western. you may use the same letters to your choosing...

WOW i barely found out about the separate evals you gotta have filled out by the people who wrote your LoRs
This is so dumbbbbb one of the people who wrote mine isn't even in the same state anymore!!!!

does anyone know how long it takes them to send you an email saying they received your secondary supplementary application? Thanks.

does anyone know how long it takes them to send you an email saying they received your secondary supplementary application? Thanks.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing too. I sumbitted mine about 3 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard anything. kinda scared since the deadline's this Monday. Might have to give them a call.

If you have received a confirmation regarding your supp apps, could you please indicate the date you submitted the supp and the time you received your confirmation. Just wondering if it take a while. Thanks in advance! Good luck!:luck:

mmm i send my secondary app. on oct. 18th, got an email saying they received it on oct. 24th....

sent august 20th got acknowledgment letter on sep 2

ThankS! I gotta give them a call....

i did not even submit my pharmcas yet, i will do it tomorrow, everything else is ready to go..i will send tomorrow..guys what are your stats and how confident you guys think of getting interview..?