* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srivatarun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was an engineering major in my undergraduate, and how those of you with the same major entered your engineering courses in for AACOMAS. Did you enter ALL of them as 'Other Science'? Because if I do that, it will really kill my science GPA. Or - did you enter only courses that would be considered premed prereq's (like physiology, engineering chemistry) as 'Other Science.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tarun

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS counts engineering classes as nonscience which makes a whole bunch of ****ing sense, but AACOMAS counts them as science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
I was an engineering major in my undergraduate, and how those of you with the same major entered your engineering courses in for AACOMAS. Did you enter ALL of them as 'Other Science'? Because if I do that, it will really kill my science GPA. Or - did you enter only courses that would be considered premed prereq's (like physiology, engineering chemistry) as 'Other Science.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tarun

Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Probably a stupid question, but what is included in the primary application? It's my understanding that it's transcripts MCAT scores and the personal statement. Are letters of recommendation submitted with each school's secondary applications?

Seems like you got the gist of it, the primary will contain your Grades/Transcripts, personal statement, extracurriculars, volunteering etc.

As far as the LOR's, assuming no changes this year, there are two basic ways to submit them with the secondaries.
1) use a central service such as the one offered by interfolio that runs AACOMAS, the professions can upload copies and you can release the letters to each school for $XX.00.
2). The second way is to send them directly either by gathering enough copies or having your premed office do it if possible (my premed office was great about making a packet of certified copies and sending them all over the place).

Best of Luck
IamAriDO

when does the primary application open? Or has it already?

Hey Guys,

Quick question. If we finish all the application stuff May 3rd, can we get it verified so we can apply right when we're allowed to in June, or do we have to wait till June to verify them.

Thanks,

NPH

Can I submit my transcript before May 3rd? I mean, if I make a transcript request around May 1st, it would probably be ready by May 3rd..But my friend told me when we make a transcript request, we also have to submit a transcript form from AACOMS, is that true? Where can I get that form? Am I able to get the form before May 3rd? Thank you! :)

Can I submit my transcript before May 3rd? I mean, if I make a transcript request around May 1st, it would probably be ready by May 3rd..But my friend told me when we make a transcript request, we also have to submit a transcript form from AACOMS, is that true? Where can I get that form? Am I able to get the form before May 3rd? Thank you! :)

Yes there is a transcript request form that you need to send with the transcript from AACOMAS. The main reason is because it has your AACOMAS ID number on it so they can match the transcript to your application when they get it. You get the form within the AACOMAS application. You'll enter in info about the school(s) you have attended and then click a link and it will generate a custom .pdf form that you print out and give to your registrar's office.

Do all transcripts need to be in before submitting my primary? Spring semester doesn't end until May 15th at my institution (and they are SLOW at updating and sending out transcripts). I will know my grade probably by May 15th, my transcripts probably won't be updated until ~May 25th and then it'll be another week for my institution to send them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! So I'm getting things ready to start filling out my application on May 3rd when it's released. I was just wondering, could anybody give me an idea of what the primary consists of? For instance, i know the AMCAS app allows 15 activities/work, how many does the AACOMAS have?

Thanks.

Please disregard or delete. Found the other thread.

Does anybody know how many EC/work experiences you are allowed to list?

Do all transcripts need to be in before submitting my primary? Spring semester doesn't end until May 15th at my institution (and they are SLOW at updating and sending out transcripts). I will know my grade probably by May 15th, my transcripts probably won't be updated until ~May 25th and then it'll be another week for my institution to send them out.

The transcripts to not need to be received prior to submitting your primary. In fact ...to all of you...once you have completed your primary submit it!! The transcripts will be received and added to your files during processing.

As for the classes that dont finish until middle may..either list them as "in progress" and submit a current transcript... or wait until you have a grade around the 25th and submit them as completed/graded and then request transcripts from your school.

You are mad early in the game so dont worry over a couple days. I think its easier to just submit your app for processing knowing the grade (you dont have to wait for the transcript...AACOMAS will receive that) than have to update your app after its been verified.

IamAriDO

If I already have an app filled out for the 2009 application season will it delete my old application from last year on may 3rd? I am not a reapplicant however I did fill it out and send mmy transcripts in to aacomas as I was going to apply last year but held off. Will I need to send in another copy of my transcripts?

If I already have an app filled out for the 2009 application season will it delete my old application from last year on may 3rd? I am not a reapplicant however I did fill it out and send mmy transcripts in to aacomas as I was going to apply last year but held off. Will I need to send in another copy of my transcripts?

I'm pretty confident you'll have to do it all over again.

It says on the AACOM website that a new feature is that your 2009 application will still be saved and you can copy info from application to another. However, I'm pretty sure you'll have to send in your transcripts again and get re-verified.

Hey everyone, I was wondering how far back do you go into your work experiences, volunteer, and shadowing. i did some pretty amazing things ( like travel out of the country to help malnourshed children) back in high school. Should I include this or is it to far back?

In general, don't include things you did in high school on the primary application. Some schools (i.e. MSU-COM) will ask about high school stuff in the secondary application but that's not the norm. Maybe you could talk about it in your personal statement if it was a defining experience for you. If you published in a journal during high school I might list that...or if you found the cure for AIDS or won the Nobel Prize

I'm pretty confident you'll have to do it all over again.
thats suck but ok. Ill send in my transcripts AGAIN.
It says on the AACOM website that a new feature is that your 2009 application will still be saved and you can copy info from application to another. However, I'm pretty sure you'll have to send in your transcripts again and get re-verified.
i was never verified in the first place?

also if anyone knows, i took the mcat april 10th but can't seem to find the ID number of the test that I took to have aacomas look for my mcat. would I have to contact AAMC direct. I can't seem to find it on the website, however I am registered for the exam again, maybe thats not letting me see the last ID number for the April 10th test?

Quick question. I rushed and took the MCATs in January without properly preparing for it. I got a 22L PS: 6 VR: 7 BS: 9. I've reschuled to take the test in July.

My application is complete without any holes, just the low MCAT score. Should I go ahead and submit my primary application when they open up? Or should I wait for the results?

I thought I've read somewhere that if a school already has my primary and I retake the MCAT they are sent my new score when it's calculated.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Quick question. I rushed and took the MCATs in January without properly preparing for it. I got a 22L PS: 6 VR: 7 BS: 9. I've reschuled to take the test in July.

My application is complete without any holes, just the low MCAT score. Should I go ahead and submit my primary application when they open up? Or should I wait for the results?

I thought I've read somewhere that if a school already has my primary and I retake the MCAT they are sent my new score when it's calculated.

Yeah on the primary app you can indicate that you are planning to take the MCAT again. You can submit now (or whenever it opens up) with the future MCAT indicated on there. That way your transcripts and everything will be verified which is the longest part of the whole process. Once your MCAT scores from the July test are released just have AAMC forward them to AACOMAS and the updated scores will get sent to all the schools you apply to (also let the schools know your scores when you find out in case that takes a while). Good luck!

this might be a dumb question...
i know the AACOMAS opens on May 3rd, but can I submit my application right after I completed all the sections and sent in the transcript? or AACOMAS is similar to AMCAS where one has to wait until Jun 2nd or so to be able to hit submit? In other words, can one submit on May 4th if he or she finishes the app overnight?...highly unlikely situation...but thats my question

I cant find a date on the AACOMAS website that says you CANT submit prior to this 'date'.. I want to submit ASAP since I have all the things I need to complete the app.

can someone please address my concern, thanks!

i know the AACOMAS opens on May 3rd, but can I submit my application right after I completed all the sections and sent in the transcript? or AACOMAS is similar to AMCAS where one has to wait until Jun 2nd or so to be able to hit submit? In other words, can one submit on May 4th if he or she finishes the app overnight?...highly unlikely situation...but thats my question

I cant find a date on the AACOMAS website that says you CANT submit prior to this 'date'.. I want to submit ASAP since I have all the things I need to complete the app.

I would also like to know this

I seriously wouldn't worry about which day within the first few days to submit the primary application. Just submit within the first week, and that should relieve your stress for the time being. You'll still need to wait after your submission (AACOMAS will have to verify your materials), and then you'll need to wait after the verification to receive secondaries from the schools. The main point is - don't stress out about when to submit the primary on the first day; signing up for the MCAT during a certain window is more stressful than submitting your primaries at the earliest possible date. Just submit your primary "as early as possible" (which roughly translates to "don't wait to submit your primary apps until July-Oct when AACOMAS becomes quite busy for verification; early half of May is just fine"). Hope this helps

I agree with Spence. You might need to directly contact the schools so that they can hold onto your application and evaluate you for your August score rather than your January score. Good luck with your MCAT

Thanks Spence and Cardiackid. I'll be ready this time :)

I seriously wouldn't worry about which day within the first few days to submit the primary application. Just submit within the first week, and that should relieve your stress for the time being. You'll still need to wait after your submission (AACOMAS will have to verify your materials), and then you'll need to wait after the verification to receive secondaries from the schools. The main point is - don't stress out about when to submit the primary on the first day; signing up for the MCAT during a certain window is more stressful than submitting your primaries at the earliest possible date. Just submit your primary "as early as possible" (which roughly translates to "don't wait to submit your primary apps until July-Oct when AACOMAS becomes quite busy for verification; early half of May is just fine"). Hope this helps

i think i found the answer in this link from AACOMAS http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-p18.pdf

i guess the earliest one can submit in on June1st, that makes more sense to me..someone please confirm/correct if i am wrong.
but i guess u will know whether u can submit or not once you start the application..haha

i think i found the answer in this link from AACOMAS http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-p18.pdf

i guess the earliest one can submit in on June1st, that makes more sense to me..someone please confirm/correct if i am wrong.
but i guess u will know whether u can submit or not once you start the application..haha

I think you can submit when it opens in May. In the cib page you posted it says the application opens "by June 1" but on the AACOM website it says "Apply Early! Processing begins in May."

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/Instructions.aspx

I attended the VCOM open house this weekend and admissions told us that the app service opens up on May 3rd and we can submit as early as June 1st.

I attended the VCOM open house this weekend and admissions told us that the app service opens up on May 3rd and we can submit as early as June 1st.

Just a guess but just because you have submitted and it has been processed does not mean that AACOMAS has submitted the applications to the schools. It is possible that it opens and processing can begin on May 3rd but the schools won't actually receive the applications submitted until June 1st. Although this is purely speculation on my part and I was late in the game last year.

In general, don't include things you did in high school on the primary application. Some schools (i.e. MSU-COM) will ask about high school stuff in the secondary application but that's not the norm. Maybe you could talk about it in your personal statement if it was a defining experience for you. If you published in a journal during high school I might list that...or if you found the cure for AIDS or won the Nobel Prize

I have a similar question--
I volunteered at Children's hospital for 2 years during HS, and continued with it into my first year at college. Then I stopped bc I got really involved with another club on campus. Should I not include the 3 years at Children's since it was so long ago? I have more current volunteer hours, but it's only about 100 hours.

I volunteered at Children's hospital for 2 years during HS, and continued with it into my first year at college. Then I stopped bc I got really involved with another club on campus. Should I not include the 3 years at Children's since it was so long ago? I have more current volunteer hours, but it's only about 100 hours.

I'd list it, if it bled over into college or lasted for a few years including while you were in college and is relevant than why not? Now if it comes down to the maximum number of ECs and you are deciding between this or a newer relevant experience the more recent one should win out IMO

Just a guess but just because you have submitted and it has been processed does not mean that AACOMAS has submitted the applications to the schools. It is possible that it opens and processing can begin on May 3rd but the schools won't actually receive the applications submitted until June 1st. Although this is purely speculation on my part and I was late in the game last year.

The AACOMAS takes about 2-4 weeks for processing before it is sent to the schools. So you could submit the application in May, but it won't get to the school until later.

SDN just had an article that dealt with "biggest myths of applying" and one of the myths was "you shouldn't include anything prior to College". This seems substantial enough to mention.

I'd list it, if it bled over into college or lasted for a few years including while you were in college and is relevant than why not? Now if it comes down to the maximum number of ECs and you are deciding between this or a newer relevant experience the more recent one should win out IMO

:thumbup: Agreed, I would list that since you kept doing it in college as well.

So... I just ordered all my transcripts for them to be sent to AACOMAS sometime next. My registrar just emailed me and asked if I had an AACOMAS form with a barcode etc... well, I checked the AACOMAS site and there was no such mention of this. Basically, did I make a mistake by sending my transcripts before I opened my application on Monday? and if so, is there a way this can still be salvaged? sending transcripts is expensive and a pain the asssss.

So... I just ordered all my transcripts for them to be sent to AACOMAS sometime next. My registrar just emailed me and asked if I had an AACOMAS form with a barcode etc... well, I checked the AACOMAS site and there was no such mention of this. Basically, did I make a mistake by sending my transcripts before I opened my application on Monday? and if so, is there a way this can still be salvaged? sending transcripts is expensive and a pain the asssss.

This is exactly why I am planning on waiting to send transcripts until after the season opens. That paper says that it has to be sent with the transcripts. I would e-mail back and ask if they would be able to hold the transcript until Monday when you are able to print the form and drop it off.

BTW, how much did your transcripts cost? They are 10 dollars from one of my schools and 13 from the other, its not like they are the price of a secondary.

Yeah, you should have waited until you started your application to send the transcripts. There is a page you need to print off with a barcode/your AACOMAS ID number so they can match the transcript to your file. Like the other person said, see if the registrar can hold your transcript until you start an application so you can give them the proper form.

The AACOMAS takes about 2-4 weeks for processing before it is sent to the schools. So you could submit the application in May, but it won't get to the school until later.

2 weeks from may 3rd is still mid may. The original poster I quoted said VCOM said that they could not submit until June 1st, hence my speculation. I'm aware that it will likely take 2-4 weeks to process.

yeah, about 13 bucks a pop, from 4 different schools. so it is like a secondary.

ok. thanks guys.

edit: i think i contacted everyone soon enough so they'll hold my transcripts and i can send the form in on monday. aacomas should mention this in the application instructions. the only reason i did this today was because i had time to do it.

Last edited:
ok. thanks guys.

edit: i think i contacted everyone soon enough so they'll hold my transcripts and i can send the form in on monday. aacomas should mention this in the application instructions. the only reason i did this today was because i had time to do it.

They probably assume people are going to have to take time to actually write everything up and prepare to submit. Most people aren't prepared to submit right on the first day with something as important as med school applications. Luckily you were able to get them to hold the transcripts. I'm actually going to be ordering 3 transcripts and then a 4th that I am telling them to hold until grades are in come mid June so I hear you on costs though

I'm curious for those of you have applied before/been accepted, etc. How did you fill in your EC descriptions? Last year I used the format of giving a basic description of the activity and explaining how it was relevant. I'm not entirely sure this is the best/most proper format. What do you all think? Did you just give a basic rundown of exactly what the details of the position were or something different?

When they recalculate your grade do they only use A B C D or
do they include +/-