* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe your committee adviser adds your letters to virtualevals and at some point you have to let your adviser know which DO schools to release your LORs to...in other words the schools that you are sending secondaries to. Most DO schools request LORs at the same time you send in secondaries. If I am not correct, someone please respond but I was under the impression that this is how it works from my adviser. For AMCAS though, does AMCAS automatically send your uploaded LORs to schools or do we have control over that through the application?

once your letter is uploaded to AMCAS you have no control over it...all the schools can download it

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad somebody posted this because I had the same question. VE uses some sort of login so I think the advisor must choose all of the schools to send the letter to? I really wish my school used interfolio which would make things a lot easier, but you gotta work with what you got I guess. If anyone that has already used VirtualEvals sees this, can you please post as to whether you get a login and have to send them to schools yourself or if your advisor will send them to all of your schools automatically for you. Thanks!

I'm glad this topic came up, but I am not very familiar with the process and I was wondering if anyone could help me out at my specific stage in the game. I looked in other places on the forum but it's hard to find the correct wording to put in Google.

Anyway, I am about to land a DO letter of recommendation. I plan on applying next cycle. My physician mentor knows that he is writing a letter for medical school and I know that my pre-med advisor keeps a file cabinet with my name on a folder and keeps all my LOR's inside. My question is: what should I do to make sure that this letter goes to the proper place so that I can send it to the appropriate schools next year during the app cycle?

My main worries are losing it and having to ask my mentor to retype, resend, etc. Do I have the letter sent to my pre-med advisor at my school? Do I sign up for one of these letter-handling services? Am I not supposed to personally handle the letter in any way?

As a sidenote, I plan on applying to mostly, if not all DO schools, with the exception of 1 in-state MD school. I hope to figure out the proper channels to pursue for the AACOMAS specifically.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school utilizes VE, you should have all of your letters (on letterhead) sent directly to your pre-med advisor (this way you can sign the "I did not read my letter" form). Once your advisor has all your letters, they create an account for you, scan all your letters in and then you notify them which schools you want them released to.
I was told it is impossible or near impossible to add or subtract any letters after they have been scanned in, but adding additional schools is easy peasy.

Lastly, some schools will find your VE evals themselves others you may have to notify that they need to look in VE to get your LORs, it has been about 50:50 for me.

If your school utilizes VE, you should have all of your letters (on letterhead) sent directly to your pre-med advisor (this way you can sign the "I did not read my letter" form). Once your advisor has all your letters, they create an account for you, scan all your letters in and then you notify them which schools you want them released to.
I was told it is impossible or near impossible to add or subtract any letters after they have been scanned in, but adding additional schools is easy peasy.

Lastly, some schools will find your VE evals themselves others you may have to notify that they need to look in VE to get your LORs, it has been about 50:50 for me.

Awesome, thanks! :thumbup:

Wow, AACOMAS verified my app in a week! :thumbup:

Anyone know where I can check my GPA? I can't seem to find it in the application.

Wow, AACOMAS verified my app in a week! :thumbup:

Anyone know where I can check my GPA? I can't seem to find it in the application.

Same here. They verified in a little over one week!!! Pretty solid considering that I was hearing word of 3-6 weeks. Does it take a bit longer for the GPA to show up on the application?

ya mine got verified in 4 days! but its been exactly a week since then and my gpa still has not showed up yet, i asked aacomas and they said that it will show up on the first page of the pdf once our applications are released to the schools, until then its all hidden!

My application was verified a few days ago, does this mean that the apps have been submitted? When does the status next to the schools change?

so i just recieved my second mcat score yesterday and it has since been released to aacomas.

aacomas has recieved it as well, so i'm wondering how long will it be until aacomas releases my second score to my schools and for them to recieve it so i can be complete for my secondaries?

Hey guys. just wondering. I've been checking on the update on my app and next to one of my schools, it says that my transcript is "logged". it doesn't say that it was "received". what does that mean? in my home page, it's still not counting that school so my app is still incomplete.

so i just recieved my second mcat score yesterday and it has since been released to aacomas.

aacomas has recieved it as well, so i'm wondering how long will it be until aacomas releases my second score to my schools and for them to recieve it so i can be complete for my secondaries?

From the email sent to me after verification:

" Applications/Updates are sent once a week from data received by Monday morning and made available on Tuesday."

I received two emails today, 8 minutes apart:
1. Your AACOMAS application has been undelivered (3:38 pm)
2. Your AACOMAS application has been verified (3:46 pm)

I apparently entered the course work for my PhD incorrectly, from OSU, but I don't know what.

help..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone here also having trouble transferring your AMCAS information to AACOMAS? I noticed how the AACOMAS applications shortens the character space for the personal statement and work/activity description space ALOT. Now, I'm going to have to find a way of cutting out a lot the important info I listed on AMCAS, just for AACOMAS, wonderful.

So I am a re-applicant and my app was verified last cycle. AACOMAS said something on the application like that if I don't change my coursework info, verification will not be necessary again. My question is if I will have to send the same transcripts after I submit if I haven't changed my coursework? Also, since I was already verified last year and nothing has changed, will my app be processed immediately after I submit or will I have to wait with those who are being verified? Thanks for your help.

So I am a re-applicant and my app was verified last cycle. AACOMAS said something on the application like that if I don't change my coursework info, verification will not be necessary again. My question is if I will have to send the same transcripts after I submit if I haven't changed my coursework? Also, since I was already verified last year and nothing has changed, will my app be processed immediately after I submit or will I have to wait with those who are being verified? Thanks for your help.

From the AACOMAS pdf:

"
Q: I applied last year and am reapplying. My login and password don’t work any longer. Can you use my application or transcripts from last year?
A:
[FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std][FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std]Unfortunately no. Each year that you apply, you must complete that year’s application, pay the appropriate processing fee and have transcripts sent from each institution you have attended. AACOMAS is not able to use applications or transcripts submitted in a previous year. "..
[FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std][FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std]..
[FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std][FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std]It doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is. Get on it though; the clock is ticking! Good luck...
[FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std][FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std]..
[FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std][FONT=Utopia Std,Utopia Std]-D

So, I just check out my credit card statement and there was an extra charge of $50 from AACOM. I did at one point add another school after I submitted the application, which was a charge of an extra $35. However, I am not sure what this extra $50 is about.
I kind of figured the $434 for the 9 schools I applied to was enough. The charge of $50 came a few days after this though.
Anyone know what this is about?

Ooops!!! Just read the AACOM pdf and realized that they charge an extra $50 processing fee (+ $32 per school) if you add a school after initial submission. Oh well, guess I should have read that beforehand.
My bad...

2 quick questions..

1. I was verified today 8/23 Monday afternoon will my application release tomm to the schools ?

2. also where can i find my verified gpa ?

2 quick questions..

1. I was verified today 8/23 Monday afternoon will my application release tomm to the schools ?

2. also where can i find my verified gpa ?

Apps will be released tomorrow, but you won't see a release date for a few days. Once the release date is visible, click on "view" to see the pdf that was sent to the schools, which will include your verified gpa.

So, I just went back into AACOMAS to change my permanent address and phone number (set up PO Box for "current address" field before applying because I knew I would be moving) and clicked "Save." It didn't say it was resending anything to the schools, so I guess I have to also contact each school I've applied to (good excuse to contact them, anyway :))?
Has anyone else had to do this?

quick question, How long does it take the AACOMAS to get the mcat from THx, I submitted the request through THx yesterday. I was really hoping it would get to them before monday since every tuesday they send application updates to schools! all my secondaries are waiting the mcat to be completed!

quick question, How long does it take the AACOMAS to get the mcat from THx, I submitted the request through THx yesterday. I was really hoping it would get to them before monday since every tuesday they send application updates to schools! all my secondaries are waiting the mcat to be completed!

mine took a day. So anywhere from a day or two would be the time it will take.

Did you guys put the Dean's List info under extracurricular, volunteer, and community service section or the awards section? It makes more sense to me to put under awards, but you have to enter each date seperately which the handbook tells you not to.

I was verified today. Does that mean I will be released today or do I have to wait until next week.

Last edited:
Hey guys....So i am currently finishing up a 6 credit retake to improve my mark in a course. So i did the whole r01 for the original and repeat to be completed for the one i am enrolled in rite now. Before i submitted the app the old mark was not included in the GPA but then once my app was released my gpa was lower and i noticed that they were including the old mark in the gpa

I understand the mark will remain there on record, but i thought that they won't include the old mark in the gpa?

I will be done that course soon but still it wont be a month or so before i can update aacomas after my final and stuff.

Hey guys....So i am currently finishing up a 6 credit retake to improve my mark in a course. So i did the whole r01 for the original and repeat to be completed for the one i am enrolled in rite now. Before i submitted the app the old mark was not included in the GPA but then once my app was released my gpa was lower and i noticed that they were including the old mark in the gpa

I understand the mark will remain there on record, but i thought that they won't include the old mark in the gpa?

I will be done that course soon but still it wont be a month or so before i can update aacomas after my final and stuff.

I noticed the same thing.

I'm assuming the old grade is included in your GPA until you have a new grade to replace it with.

I noticed the same thing.

I'm assuming the old grade is included in your GPA until you have a new grade to replace it with.

i see. But i thought that regardless of weather a high or low mark, i get they will be counting the most recent one right? So why count the old one!

I submitted my application and it was verified. I looked at the pdf that shows up after it is released to schools and noticed one of my classes was missing. I guess I forgot to put it in and they didn't notice it either. I got a B- in the non-science class that is missing so for that semester it says I took 4 classes instead of the 5 I took. I still have enough credits and meet all requirements so should I try to get and addition/get it fixed or just leave it alone?

Hi everyone,

I do have a few basic questions I'd like to ask about the application itself, as I am still in the process of filling it out (late I know)

1. Where would I put the work I did for research? I wasn't paid, so would it be under volunteer or work experience?
2. Likewise for being a resident assistant, while I was compensated with free housing, which category would it fall under?
3. If I wanted to add Dean's List to my application, would I be putting it under awards? If so, how would I state the different semesters I received them in, if they fell under several years?

My college was on trimesters and gave me 1 credit for each course I completed. Labs were worth 0.2 credits and appear on my transcript. I am confused as to how to represent this on the AACOMAS application.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Hey everybody,

First of all, I have used the search and done a bunch of research on calculating GPA. So please don't say I am just a lazy person who comes onto a forum and uses my first post to ask a dumb question that has been answered a hundred times.

Anyways, I was just wondering if a Food Science ("Introduction to Food Science") course counts towards my science GPA. I realize that science GPA includes Chem, Bio, and Physics classes, but I am unsure how the "other science" courses are figured. Lastly, the Food Science department is within the college of agriculture, if that helps at all.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

I took a few similar courses and I dont believe they counted it towards my science GPA. I say this because I did very very well in these courses and my sGPA is a lot lower than my non-science GPA which is evident that they put these courses as non-science

I was a computer science major before I switch to nursing ( had my nursing degree); now I am a premed major and my cGPA is 3.17 and my sGPA is 3.4 with computer science classes not counted as science classes. Are the following classes going to be included in my sGPA by AACOMAS? If they are, my sGPA will take a big hit. It will be around 3.0 or less.

1) Structured programming
2) Intro to programming in C
3) Foundation of computer science
3) Data structured and Analysis of Algorithm
4) Intro to Logic Design
5) Microprocessor
6) Intro to Formal Languages and Automata Theory

Can anyone share what they know about my issues? I am so scared right now because I was counting in my sGPA so I can have a decent chance at DO schools. Please Help.....

Last edited:
My college was on trimesters and gave me 1 credit for each course I completed. Labs were worth 0.2 credits and appear on my transcript. I am confused as to how to represent this on the AACOMAS application.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Wow... never heard of that. Did you go to school in the US?

I was a computer science major before I switch to nursing ( had my nursing degree); now I am a premed major and my cGPA is 3.17 and my sGPA is 3.4 with computer science classes not counted as science classes. Are the following classes going to be included in my sGPA by AACOMAS? If they are, my sGPA will take a big hit. It will be around 3.0 or less.

1) Structured programming
2) Intro to programming in C
3) Foundation of computer science
3) Data structured and Analysis of Algorithm
4) Intro to Logic Design
5) Microprocessor
6) Intro to Formal Languages and Automata Theory

Can anyone share what they know about my issues? I am so scared right now because I was counting in my sGPA so I can have a decent chance at DO schools. Please Help.....
Bump
I need more feedback...I wanna be 100% sure.

When entering work information did you put a brief description such as what you would have on a resume or did you go into depth and talk about what you got out of each experience?

Are they quick with saying when your transcripts were received? I just called the school that sent it and they said they mailed it out the 28th of September but still no updates on the aacomas server.

does anyone know how long its taking to verify at this time?

I'm trying to match up classes that I took at a previous school with the school I'm at now to replace the grades. I searched the AACOMAS website but I could not find a webpage.
There is one course I'm having a hard matching up.

EUH 1000 - G(W) Freshman Core I
First part of a two-term interdisciplinary survey course that combines Western civilization lectures with discussions of major works of Western culture. Students are encouraged to take both EUH 1000 and EUH 1001 but only one of the two courses is required of all freshmen. Gordon Rule Additional Writing credit.

HIS 101 - West Civ I (Antiquity To 1648)
Examines the development of Western society from antiquity to the conclusion of the Thirty Years' War. Special consideration given to the ideas, individuals, and institutions that shaped the development of the Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance world.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

My application has been verified for several months now. If I've already released previous scores, will my new scores from a recent re-take automatically upload to AACOMAS or do I need to re-release my scores?

Thanks!

My application has been verified for several months now. If I've already released previous scores, will my new scores from a recent re-take automatically upload to AACOMAS or do I need to re-release my scores?

Thanks!

rerelease. You can also try making the process faster by emailing the score report to the schools you applied to.

I finally figured out where you find your AACOMAS gpas (which is another vent session on its own) and I noticed that they messed up my science calculation. I took a random chem class and received an A. They entered only the credits I received for it. So they have my sGPA as going down! I'm so frustrated now that I have to deal with them after they didn't realize all my transcripts were in to begin with.

Sorry for the "late" bump on this. Just venting and sharing my frustrations.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if AACOMAS will replace a 3 quarter course sequence with a 2 semester course sequence? The total credit breakdown is as follows: 12 quarter hours and 8 semester hours. Thanks

if you shadow multiple doctors, do you enter them as one entry on AACOMAS under activities, or do you list them separately? The specialties range.

I'm applying really late and was wondering how exactly the due dates for the primary works. I am applying to schools that are due February 1st. I know my transcripts were sent to AACOMAS on the 20th of January. Is it the post mark date that counts, the date that AACOMAS says they received everything, or the finalized date that has to be before February 1st?