2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 character limit.)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying, but I have no idea what's going on on this thread lol

Baylor's secondary is usually up pretty early, so don't be surprised when people start talking about the prompt if you haven't received an email telling you to fill it out yet.

:luck: Everybody!

:luck: to everyone in the application process! let me know if you have any questions as the cycle begins!

---------------------------------------------
Baylor College of Medicine c/o 2014

How do you guys like Baylor? I am applying there.
I like its 1st class facilities and resources, accelarated science curriculum, proximity to both TMC and home (ok, it's just me), and state-school-like tuition.

I failed to get in, but good luck to all prospective students!:luck:

I will be an incoming student and can tell you this school is amazing! The faculty and admissions office actually know who you are and seem to care about you. The school helps anyway they can and really make you feel like you have joined the BCM family.

I will be an incoming student and can tell you this school is amazing! The faculty and admissions office actually know who you are and seem to care about you. The school helps anyway they can and really make you feel like you have joined the BCM family.

+1 for sure

Well I submitted my primary today and am applying to Baylor, so guess I will be spending some time in this thread for the next several months. My GPA is on the low side for Baylor so my hopes aren't too high, but who knows what will happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everybody this year...1 year ago I would have laughed in the face of anyone who told me I'd get an interview at BCM...let alone be accepted. Glad to answer any questions about the application/interview process.

yo baylor students: what is the curriculum like for the basic sciences (aside from being 18 mos)? true pbl?

By true pbl, I mean, "Kids, here a case that we modifed for you. Now, go ahead and learn all of the basics on your own..."

Curriculum website: http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/curriculum.html

Also, who does the mentoring for the "personal guides."

will absolutely be applying, hoping for some Baylor love. best of luck to everyone :thumbup:

+1 :soexcited:

Last edited:
yo baylor students: what is the curriculum like for the basic sciences (aside from being 18 mos)? true pbl?

By true pbl, I mean, "Kids, here a case that we modifed for you. Now, go ahead and learn all of the basics on your own..."

I haven't started yet, so can't give a specific answer...but it's not 100% PBL. There are small-group practical-type discussions though...I guess you could call that a little PBL. The curriculum is something that I loved about Baylor, it's really unique--and effective (Step 1 scores). The don't seem to be afraid of having touches of old school and new school in their approach to teaching medicine.

The mentoring you're speaking of: I believe you're referring to PRN groups...Peer Resource Network. Incoming students are assigned to a group of advisors. Advisors are several 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. There is also faculty mentorship, not sure whether this is directly tied to the PRN groups. I'll see if I can get Go Spurs Go or Rishk on here to answer more accurately.

:luck:

Getting ready to send primary. I have a strong gpa - 3.88, decent mcat - 32, and and not much in the way of ECs. Thinking about getting in all I can before hoped-for interview. Am I screwed?

Did you get an invite to complete the secondary or are you just filling it out?

I just looked at the website, for those who don't know yet ;) good luck everyone!!!

Thanks canjosh. It's hard to believe its already July...

Was just wondering, from past Baylor applicants, is Spanish flunecy weighted heavily? If your a strong applicant will they care or not? Thanks

Sorry it's taken me a while to see this; we had our exams all the last two weeks, and I've been sleeping since the end of it :laugh:

So truthfully, we only have a tiny bit of PBL--one afternoon a week for about an hour and a half to two hours; it's called Integrated Problem Solving. Basically, it's a way for us to step back and look at the things we've been learning in lecture from a different angle, as the cases will almost always correlated with what's going on in lecture (i.e. a neuro case when we're taking Neuro, a case on polypharmacy when we're doing Pharmacology, etc). We definitely aren't supposed to "learn all the basics" on our own; it's really just a small part of our curriculum.

The real meat-and-potatoes is our lecture, which is 8-noon, five days a week; this includes the two hours of anatomy lab (for the first four blcks) and two hours of histology lab (for the first three blocks) each week. I feel like the reason we wind up having fewer in-class hours than most schools is because they're giving us the freedom and responsibility to figure out what study schedule works best for us individually; I'm sure we all make up for the time we're not in class with time we study outside. Additionally, there's plenty of opportunity to get additional instruction outside of class if you're someone who benefits from having someone else there teaching you; usually, one of our anatomy professors will be in the anatomy lab after class, and we have practice practicals for both anatomy and histology on Friday afternoons, in addition to other reviews and other opportunities (anatomy buddies, Big Ass Histology reviews, etc).

In addition to the PBL session, we have one other afternoon session each week, which is Physician, Patient, and Society (PPS). Basically, that's the class where we learn all of the required parts of the physical exam. We'll go in one week to learn one part of the physical exam, and then the following week we go out to our preceptor's office to practice it on a real patient.

Our classes are arranged in 5-8 week blocks, and our curriculum is systems-based (i.e. we learn Cardio/Respiratory/Renal in one block, GI/Metabolism/Endocrine/Reproductive in another, etc). For the first three blocks, you're taking one big mega-course called "Foundations," and you take one big exam each block, including a histology and an anatomy practical. Ultimately your grade for the three blocks are averaged and that's your grade for Foundations. Starting in block 4 we have individual classes with individual grades and you have the more normal "week of exams."

Hope that's helpful. I really thought the curriculum was well-organized this year, and it's one of Baylor's strongest selling points, in my opinion. Let me know, either here or via PM, if you have any other specific questions :)
The mentoring you're speaking of: I believe you're referring to PRN groups...Peer Resource Network. Incoming students are assigned to a group of advisors. Advisors are several 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. There is also faculty mentorship, not sure whether this is directly tied to the PRN groups. I'll see if I can get Go Spurs Go or Rishk on here to answer more accurately.

:luck:
canjosh is right about PRN, but in addition, four PRN groups are grouped together under one faculty mentor, who is supposed to follow us through medical school and give us advice on basically whatever we need at the moment (getting adjusted to medical school, finding a mentor in a field we might be interested in, applying to residency, etc). Basically, they're supposed to be a resource for us within the faculty that we can go to for help advancing our careers.
I just looked at the website, for those who don't know yet ;) good luck everyone!!!
Ooh exciting day. Good luck everyone :soexcited:
Was just wondering, from past Baylor applicants, is Spanish flunecy weighted heavily? If your a strong applicant will they care or not? Thanks
Nah, it certainly never hurts, but is not required; I got in fairly early without being fluent.

Hey does anyone know how to check your status after submitting your secondary? I can't find a link to click on that would let me.

good luck to everyone applying this round!

Has anybody actually received an email invite for the secondary or are you all just filling it in and submitting it?

Just filling it out...

By the way I was thinking about using an essay I have that centers on the role of athletics in my life... does this seem appropriate for the baylor essay? I originally wrote it for a "tell us something more about yourself" question but it seems to fit here to... what do you guys think?

It's a really open essay prompt. I used it to explain 'gaps' in my application, such as my lower course-load (kids, full-time job). I'd say that it's good for explaining those gaps, or for further describing your motivations. If athletics fits into your decision to enter medicine, it's probably fine. I just wouldn't rehash your personal statement. Make sure it complements it somehow.

Like canjosh said, mention something that's important to your life that you haven't mentioned before. I discussed my family life growing up as it has profoundly impacted the person I've become. I wouldn't mention things that you've already discussed on your application unless you're elaborating on them.

Yeah, I didn't really mention it in my primary and certainly not in my PS so I thought this was a good place for it.. And I do go into how athletics reflects my personality and such so it sounds like its ok haha

I can't believe it's already that time again. Best of luck to all of you on your Baylor Med apps and feel free to shoot me any questions if they come up. I'll be interviewing some of you this Fall/Spring, so beware. ;)

Can someone post the question? Or I'll hunt the previous threads.

quick question (or questions), am i a little behind in posting secondaries if i submit them tomorrow?

second question, should i mention in my secondary essays things that I like about BCM and what makes BCM my primary choice or should I concentrate more on myself? or should I just incorporate both ideas? (currently i have an essay about recently becoming an American citizen and how that affects my life as I pursue medicine... is that good?)

thx (crosses fingers~~~~~)

Hey,

When does the Baylor Secondary invitation get sent out? can I get the secondary before I get the actual invitation? Does Baylor screen applicants before they send out secondary invitations or does everybody get one?

gunit: I was verified in early june and i have not received the secondary nor any form of communication (such as amcas received, etc) from baylor. however, the secondary is open on their website: http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/index.cfm?pmid=1776

i haven't submitted it because i wasn't sure if i was supposed to without an invitation. it seems like others on this forum are going ahead with it and i may as well if i don't hear anything in the next week or so.

any anyone heard anything from baylor? if you have submitted the secondary were you sent an acknowledgement?

I can't believe it's already that time again. Best of luck to all of you on your Baylor Med apps and feel free to shoot me any questions if they come up. I'll be interviewing some of you this Fall/Spring, so beware. ;)
do you mind posting your stats? What do you think was the strongest part of your application?

would you guys recommend talking about my many years of playing classical piano, or about my work as a state-employed homecare provider, helping an elderly couple (take them to medical offices, check blood pressure /pacemaker battery, groceries, cleaning, etc.) for the essay? Thank you!

would you guys recommend talking about my many years of playing classical piano, or about my work as a state-employed homecare provider, helping an elderly couple (take them to medical offices, check blood pressure /pacemaker battery, groceries, cleaning, etc.) for the essay? Thank you!

i discussed my many years of classical piano (and provided a little more than text). to say the least, they liked it.

Hey,

When does the Baylor Secondary invitation get sent out? can I get the secondary before I get the actual invitation? Does Baylor screen applicants before they send out secondary invitations or does everybody get one?
There's no need to wait for an invitation; there is no screening.

gunit: I was verified in early june and i have not received the secondary nor any form of communication (such as amcas received, etc) from baylor. however, the secondary is open on their website: http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/index.cfm?pmid=1776

i haven't submitted it because i wasn't sure if i was supposed to without an invitation. it seems like others on this forum are going ahead with it and i may as well if i don't hear anything in the next week or so.

any anyone heard anything from baylor? if you have submitted the secondary were you sent an acknowledgement?

Complete that secondary!!! You'll get detailed instructions about how to check your status once you've sent that in.

It is really surreal to think that I'll be seeing some of you folks at your interviews in just a couple of months...

Complete that secondary!!! You'll get detailed instructions about how to check your status once you've sent that in.

It is really surreal to think that I'll be seeing some of you folks at your interviews in just a couple of months...

THANKS for the advice. I had the response written up for some time now, but was waiting for an invite to complete 2ndary. Little did I know there won't be any. JUST Submitted. Yay. 14 down, 11 more to go.

yah, agreed! thanks for the advice canjosh. i'll get on that asap.

any idea why baylor cares about sat scores/high school class rank?

Does anyone know how to check their application status?

I submitted my secondary application on July 5th, and sent a check via mail the next day. I'm starting to wonder if maybe my check got lost in the mail...

Does anyone know how to check their application status?

I submitted my secondary application on July 5th, and sent a check via mail the next day. I'm starting to wonder if maybe my check got lost in the mail...

I would call and ask. Unless it specifically says somewhere not to call. For my other schools, I called and they were able to confirm right over the phone.

Hey guys! Does anyone know what is the latest date to become complete (primary verified, secondary submitted, MCAT scores, and LORs) at BCM and still be seriously considered for an interview?

yah, agreed! thanks for the advice canjosh. i'll get on that asap.

any idea why baylor cares about sat scores/high school class rank?

I don't think they care. I do remember seeing this on various applications besides Baylor's. It's probably more of a data thing than having an actual impact on the application. I was a terrible high school student in the bottom 3rd of my class, and got into Baylor pretty early--so it obviously doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.