2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aying something about April 15th... could be wrong, though. I wish I'd been taking notes. :oops:

He was probably talking about LSUHSC-Shreveport, since I think that's when they have their date set. I think they start in the summer, which is why they are earlier.

EDIT: Or just have the option of starting in the summer, IIRC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If anything from what I have heard. They offer spots later than any other schools due to their unique selection process.

He also said that they interview 400 students and accept 200, so the way I look at it you have a 50% or better chance of being accepted for the fall :)

They have to accept more than 200, because some are going to go elsewhere. Waitlist movement has been down a lot compared to a couple of years ago, but all schools still over-accept. They'll accept more than 200, especially if next year's class size is going to increase.

They have to accept more than 200, because some are going to go elsewhere. Waitlist movement has been down a lot compared to a couple of years ago, but all schools still over-accept. They'll accept more than 200, especially if next year's class size is going to increase.

It's class of 2016, that is increasing. Not 2015, I wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's late but I just got an interview for April 13! Anyone else?:)

Does it mean anything if your check was cashed?

is there a certain etiquette in terms of like a thank you card to admissions after being accepted?

Supposedly they sent out acceptances yesterday... mine hasn't shown up yet because of all that rain, yeah, that's the ticket. :xf:

Supposedly they sent out acceptances yesterday... mine hasn't shown up yet because of all that rain, yeah, that's the ticket. :xf:

I didn't get my acceptance letter today either. Hopefully it comes tomorrow

I didn't get a letter today either. I agree with the storm/hail thing :laugh:! Maybe tomorrow? :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell if you get your acceptance letter today! Im so anxious! Goodluck everybody!:thumbup::laugh:

Please tell if you get your acceptance letter today! Im so anxious! Goodluck everybody!:thumbup::laugh:

Don't expect anything today guys for those who are waiting. I was told that both the NFA and acceptance letters are being mailed out today. So, maybe tom. or sat...:confused:

Don't expect anything today guys for those who are waiting. I was told that both the NFA and acceptance letters are being mailed out today. So, maybe tom. or sat...:confused:

Really? Where did u hear that. I wonder y so late?

Really? Where did u hear that. I wonder y so late?

thats happened before with late mail. you may not get it until monday with the big volume of mail. But i'm rooting for you LSU2015!

Ugh... god... every day I've been opening the mailbox, hands trembling, and then it's nothing but junk mail and I have to figure out how to occupy myself for the next 24 hours. :laugh:

been lurking for ages now...

@scarshapedstar I know exactly how you feel. I interviewed a couple weeks ago and have been doing the exact same thing

The accelerated primary care program sounds interesting. I wonder how common this type of program is at other schools...

Last edited:
The accelerated primary care program sounds interesting. I wonder how common this type of program is at other schools...

I know of one DO school that has a similar program. Not aware of anyone else. Doesn't mean it isn't out there though.

Good luck to everyone waiting for news!

This is not true. The acceptance letters were mailed on 03/29/2011 (from 70810). So you guys should get something in the mail today (Of course, it depends on how far you are away from 70810). I got mine yesterday.

Last edited:
hello all - first, i'd just like to congratulate those that got accepted, and wish nothing but luck to those still waiting.

i've been browsing this website since last summer when i took the MCAT. i'd like to make this brief, in an effort not to derail the thread or take away from its purpose, but honestly, i am kind of lost right now. i graduated from LSU last year, took the MCAT last summer and made a 28. my GPA is a 3.4. part of me thinks that if i would have just applied, i could be here in this thread talking about possible acceptance letters with you guys. the other part of me says that my stats simply aren't good enough to warrant an interview. unfortunately, the latter mind set prevailed.

does anyone in here know if i would even get looked at by NO or Shreveport? anyone know of friends with similar stats? just looking for some honest opinions.

anyway, good luck to those still waiting, and congrats again to those who got in. talk about an exciting time. :thumbup:

Actually, it's possible that everyone here is correct, but they're sending out a batch of letters each day. :luck:

@ arlyl

simply looking at a 28 and 3.4 gpa, i know a lot of people that have gotten interviews and gotten in with those stats, below and above! of course, it also matters where those A's are, and what your MCAT subscores are, but it's definitely possible. Obviously the schools look at all the extra stuff... but yeah, it's possible to get interviews at the LSUs with those stats.

@ arlyl

simply looking at a 28 and 3.4 gpa, i know a lot of people that have gotten interviews and gotten in with those stats, below and above! of course, it also matters where those A's are, and what your MCAT subscores are, but it's definitely possible. Obviously the schools look at all the extra stuff... but yeah, it's possible to get interviews at the LSUs with those stats.

wow, thanks for the response. i probably should have mentioned i have extensive research and clinical experience, if that would help in getting an interview. anyway, that's good to hear. still kind of kicking myself that i didn't apply last summer though.

This is not true. The acceptance letters were mailed on 03/29/2011 (from 70810). So you guys should get something in the mail today (Of course, it depends on how far you are away from 70810). I got mine yesterday.

I guess that I wasn't told that this is the first day that they were mailing letters (not something that i questioned specifically),but only informed that both nfa and acceptance letters were being mailed today. Congrats on your acceptance!.... I agree with scarshapedstar's theory :thumbup:

'if'? You sound like a better applicant than me, and I got interviewed... I know how you feel, especially if you've been reading SDN and its genetically engineered OCD hyper achievers, but yes you can totally get in from what you're saying.

hello all - first, i'd just like to congratulate those that got accepted, and wish nothing but luck to those still waiting.

does anyone in here know if i would even get looked at by NO or Shreveport? anyone know of friends with similar stats? just looking for some honest opinions.

anyway, good luck to those still waiting, and congrats again to those who got in. talk about an exciting time. :thumbup:

To look at this more objectively, you should probably have a meeting in early summer with the deans of lsu new orleans, lsu shreveport, or wherever else that you wanted to go. They're much bettter at identifying the areas of weakness in your application and talking about ways in which you can become a stronger candidate. Best of luck..:)

Well, I tore open my envelope with bated breath, and found... an alumni donation request and nothing else. Called up the office and they said there was a labeling error. Looks like a lot of people will be waiting another week.

...:D

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten accepted or interviewed who didn't use a committee letter, and just got letters from 3+ professors?

Is it game changing if you don't use the committee (as in, the difference between an interview / no interview or acceptance / rejection)?

Has anyone gotten accepted or interviewed who didn't use a committee letter, and just got letters from 3+ professors?

Is it game changing if you don't use the committee (as in, the difference between an interview / no interview or acceptance / rejection)?

I wasn't eligible for committee, and that doesn't seem to have been a problem.

What kind of labeling error are you talking about? You have got to be kidding me?

I wasn't eligible for committee, and that doesn't seem to have been a problem.

Saw you were accepted back in October. Did you do the EDP? Also, why weren't you eligible for the committee? I wasn't aware eligibility was really an issue with respect to obtaining a committee letter, other than if you have already used the committee once before...

Saw you were accepted back in October. Did you do the EDP? Also, why weren't you eligible for the committee? I wasn't aware eligibility was really an issue with respect to obtaining a committee letter, other than if you have already used the committee once before...

Regular decision. Simple answer re committee is I'm non-trad

'if'? You sound like a better applicant than me, and I got interviewed... I know how you feel, especially if you've been reading SDN and its genetically engineered OCD hyper achievers, but yes you can totally get in from what you're saying.

This. I feel one can get an unrealistic view of their chances (especially at a state school like LSU) looking at this site, the general feeling seems to be that if you don't have 3 years of research, a 3.95 and a 42S you should immediately go running off to the Caribbean. I got in this round and let's just say I'm doing my part to bring the 'average matriculant GPA' down.

Having said that, you might consider retaking the MCAT, you can certainly get in with a 28, but it'd definitely make your life easier if you think you're capable of jumping a few points.

Well, I tore open my envelope with bated breath, and found... an alumni donation request and nothing else. Called up the office and they said there was a labeling error. Looks like a lot of people will be waiting another week.

...:D

let's hope that admissions doesn't get too caught up with this april fool's stuff...

was this directed at me? i imagine it was, i looked and didn't see anyone else it could have been directed towards. but yes i totally agree with you. i have been browsing this site almost religiously since last summer when i took the MCAT. i do feel that after months of reading threads on pre-allo, that my view of reality on admissions became kind of skewed. unfortunately, it got the best of me as i didn't apply last year because i didn't think my stats were good enough.

Simple answer re committee is I'm non-trad

This is for the committee at LSU in Baton Rouge? Interesting. I'm technically a non-trad - I have been out of school for 1.5 years, but I was planning on using the committee this cycle, which will be my first time applying. I even went to the meeting in the fall to obtain the specific form that we need to turn in by May 2nd. I haven't heard anything mentioning that one still needs to be in pursuit of a degree in order to be eligible to use the premed committee.

I'm another who did not use a committee letter this cycle and was accepted.

let's hope that admissions doesn't get too caught up with this april fool's stuff...

I was kinda half-expecting a 'happy april fool's!' letter.

This is like the chinese water torture, except there's no water.

This is for the committee at LSU in Baton Rouge? Interesting. I'm technically a non-trad - I have been out of school for 1.5 years, but I was planning on using the committee this cycle, which will be my first time applying. I even went to the meeting in the fall to obtain the specific form that we need to turn in by May 2nd. I haven't heard anything mentioning that one still needs to be in pursuit of a degree in order to be eligible to use the premed committee.

I did pre-reqs at LSU-BR. I can't remember the reason but there was some technicality that made use of the committee impossible. But it didn't seem to matter to anyone at med schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.