2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Was this your first time applying?

Members don't see this ad.

If I missed something, please let me know! And is there something we do for registration in the summer, or is it all automatic? I guess we just wait on more e-mails...

Thank you, ruraldocmom for sharing good info. I got in on March, and I have completed almost everything on your list except the MCG financial online stuff. They didn't mention anything about this, and ironically, I clicked the link for PA student of MCG on facebook yesterday, and it seemed like I could fill out the same form.

Did they tell you to do MCG financial online application, or did you figure it out by yourself? I believe you might already have done this, but did you send your transcripts to MCG yet? I think it is the only thing that I can notice, missing from your list. Thanks again!!!

This may seem random, but I'm thinking about applying Early Decision to MCG. I'm still on the waitlist, and I know it's starting to move, but I want to get things done in the meantime. Is Early Decision rolling or can you submit on July 25 and still get the same amount of consideration as someone who submitted June 5? Also, would I have a shot at getting accepted early decision with a 27Q, 3.78, 130hrs shadowing, 3yrs medical research, tons of leadership/service? I'm retaking MCAT on July 16, but I know that's too late for it to count for Early Decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may seem random, but I'm thinking about applying Early Decision to MCG. I'm still on the waitlist, and I know it's starting to move, but I want to get things done in the meantime. Is Early Decision rolling or can you submit on July 25 and still get the same amount of consideration as someone who submitted June 5? Also, would I have a shot at getting accepted early decision with a 27Q, 3.78, 130hrs shadowing, 3yrs medical research, tons of leadership/service? I'm retaking MCAT on July 16, but I know that's too late for it to count for Early Decision.

I applied EDP this cycle. I submitted my secondary on July 26 (primary was submitted a couple days prior), got an interview invite on August 3 (~ a week later), and interviewed during the first week of interviews. So, from my experiences, applying a couple days before the Aug. 1 deadline was no different than submitting when AMCAS first opens. Your GPA and ECs are on par with EDP acceptance stats and I knew a friend from two cycles ago that was accepted EDP with a 27 MCAT. If you don't already get an interview, I wouldn't be surprised for MCG to re-evaluate your file after your July 16th MCAT scores are released (still during EDP).

You never register for classes. The registrar does it for you :)

You never register for classes. The registrar does it for you :)

Yeah, I guess its a good idea to actually read the information online :) I was looking at the generic stuff, instead of the SOM stuff. Makes sense... not like we get to "choose" any classes, right? Although there are these electives I noticed... what is the deal with those?

Thank you, ruraldocmom for sharing good info. I got in on March, and I have completed almost everything on your list except the MCG financial online stuff. They didn't mention anything about this, and ironically, I clicked the link for PA student of MCG on facebook yesterday, and it seemed like I could fill out the same form.

Did they tell you to do MCG financial online application, or did you figure it out by yourself? I believe you might already have done this, but did you send your transcripts to MCG yet? I think it is the only thing that I can notice, missing from your list. Thanks again!!!

Ah yes, transcripts. Yeah-- I think there is some vague allusion to Financial Aid somewhere in one of those e-mails, but not specific. I went by the administration bldg last week and talked to the Financial Aid folks. They kind of walked me through the process like I should have known it... it is on their website, that is true. But unless you know what you are looking for, it is hard to navigate to it! Oh well.

Congrats! Was this your first time applying?
Yes, this was my first time applying. I also had pretty good research, shadowing, volunteer experience. You got this fullset, just stay strong and be persistent. I was planning on applying early early June for the next round of applications. I really think applying as early as possible gives you a huge advantage.

Well I came to the thread to ask a question similar to this, but I am also wondering, how frequently do 27's get in EDP? Also, if MCG is really where I want to be, is it in my best interest to go ahead and apply EDP with my 27 and then retake 7/16 as well, or should I wait it out for a retake and apply regular decision?

Seeing as how this is my second application cycle I figured I would know what to expect by now, but I'm pretty stuck with this recent MCAT score. Here's a background of my situation:

Re-applicant that re-took the MCAT on 4/16 and boosted my score from a 24R (4/09) to a 27R with 9 9 9. GPA of 3.7, BCPM of 3.6 with Bio and Psyc degrees from the state's flagship public institution. Really my only blemish is my MCAT score as I have spent thousands over hours in the clinical setting observing, volunteering, interning and working (currently a scrub in the OR at a local hospital). Torn on what to do from here- Apply EDP to MCG seeing as how it's my dream school, Apply to Mercer because my stats are more competitive, or just do regular decision and apply to both with some others across the SE.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!

I was accepted off of the waitlist on 5/16. Stats: MCAT 27Q, GPA 3.94, 500+ clinical hours, medical internship, clinical research. I applied regular decision, and it was my first time applying. Best of luck to everyone else who is waiting!!

I was accepted off of the waitlist on 5/16. Stats: MCAT 27Q, GPA 3.94, 500+ clinical hours, medical internship, clinical research. I applied regular decision, and it was my first time applying. Best of luck to everyone else who is waiting!!

Congrats! That's awesome, and thanks for your response! I think your GPA is the kicker as that is a helluva GPA to offset the lower the MCAT score. I'm just concerned that my GPA is pretty average and not high enough to compensate for my MCAT. The rest of my file is balanced so I think I'm just going to roll with what I got and go for the EDP.

Well I came to the thread to ask a question similar to this, but I am also wondering, how frequently do 27's get in EDP? Also, if MCG is really where I want to be, is it in my best interest to go ahead and apply EDP with my 27 and then retake 7/16 as well, or should I wait it out for a retake and apply regular decision?

Seeing as how this is my second application cycle I figured I would know what to expect by now, but I'm pretty stuck with this recent MCAT score. Here's a background of my situation:

Re-applicant that re-took the MCAT on 4/16 and boosted my score from a 24R (4/09) to a 27R with 9 9 9. GPA of 3.7, BCPM of 3.6 with Bio and Psyc degrees from the state's flagship public institution. Really my only blemish is my MCAT score as I have spent thousands over hours in the clinical setting observing, volunteering, interning and working (currently a scrub in the OR at a local hospital). Torn on what to do from here- Apply EDP to MCG seeing as how it's my dream school, Apply to Mercer because my stats are more competitive, or just do regular decision and apply to both with some others across the SE.

That's a rock and a hard place, my friend. Statistically, stats of those accepted during EDP mirror those of the entire class (~3.7, ~31)--meaning it isn't "easier" to get accepted if you apply EDP. With that said, the law of averages tells that for every 35 MCAT that gets accepted, there is a 27--so it does happen. It really comes down to whether MCG is so great to you that you'd rather sit out another year than go elsewhere if you aren't accepted. If so, then EDP is for you. If you just want to go to med school, I'd apply broadly and early during the regular cycle.

My financial aid just came in, it was just the federal loans, apparently scholarships happens later. I'm concerned about the difference between my loan amount and the cost of attendance. Apparently it's going to be 13k per year. Does anybody know if this is normal if your expected family contribution is zero? Is the listed COA higher than I should expect to actually need to pay? I really don't want to take out a lot of private loans, and I don't think I'm gonna qualify for scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
My financial aid just came in, it was just the federal loans, apparently scholarships happens later. I'm concerned about the difference between my loan amount and the cost of attendance. Apparently it's going to be 13k per year. Does anybody know if this is normal if your expected family contribution is zero? Is the listed COA higher than I should expect to actually need to pay? I really don't want to take out a lot of private loans, and I don't think I'm gonna qualify for scholarships.

The cost of attendance is exaggerated. My total loan cap for this year is 47,1xx or something like that. It'll be fine for most students.

All you "have to pay" is the tuition and fees. Anything over that is up to you, as it pertains to rent, bills, books (if you buy them), etc.

Yeah, I guess its a good idea to actually read the information online :) I was looking at the generic stuff, instead of the SOM stuff. Makes sense... not like we get to "choose" any classes, right? Although there are these electives I noticed... what is the deal with those?

You'll sign up for that sometime in the fall. Basically you'll meet 1 day/week for 4-5 weeks, and get an introduction to a particular field.

Urology
Radiology
EM
Peds
etc.

It's basically a glorified shadowing experience, with no real interaction with patients (with the exception of ER, which you can go "shadow" in 24/7, and get more exposure than during the elective).

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I will also be attending MCG this fall. I live 13 miles away from campus and my wife and I have been entertaining the idea of renting out one of our bedrooms. If you are interested, please PM me.

Also, the dental school c/o 2015 has their own facebook page and I was wondering if anyone else has found something like that for the medical school c/o 2015.

Does anyone know if you can skip classes first year? I learn a lot better when I teach myself, so was wondering if they record all the classes or is attendance mandatory?

In case anyone is wondering, rumor has it tuition will rise by 10% this year. This means we will be paying about $10,000 more in tuition over 4 years just from this year's increase. Tuition will probably rise again next year and the year after that. I suspect we will see at least a 10% increase every year, so expect to pay at least $30,000 more in tuition than the current graduating class. You can thank our governor and legislature for the budget cuts and tuition increases.

Since tuition isn't set in stone yet, I encourage everyone here attending MCG to write letters and make calls.

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering, rumor has it tuition will rise by 10% this year. This means we will be paying about $10,000 more in tuition over 4 years just from this year's increase. Tuition will probably rise again next year and the year after that. I suspect we will see at least a 10% increase every year, so expect to pay at least $30,000 more in tuition than the current graduating class. You can thank our governor and legislature for the budget cuts and tuition increases.

Since tuition isn't set in stone yet, I encourage everyone here attending MCG to write letters and make calls.

The admission bulletin states that last year's tuition for first year was $22,478. I just received my financial aid package and it listed this coming year's first year tuition as $24,726. Sadly, I would say that rumor is true.

Yes tuition is going up. MCG has had it's state budget basically cut in half since 2008.

First day of class will be mandatory, as will quite a few days after that. Show up to orientation and the first day, and you'll figure it out from there.

PS. There's no reason to take out the 56k that is the "cost of attendance". Most people I know do just fine on a lot less than that.

Yes tuition is going up. MCG has had it's state budget basically cut in half since 2008.

To put this in perspective, tuition in 2008 was only $14892. For 2010-11, it will be $24726. Tuition will have almost doubled in just 4 years....amazing. I should have just gone to a private school, where tuition would be more but at least it wouldn't increase this much. MCG/GHSU needs to address this, there is no reason tuition should grow that fast.

Last edited:
To put this in perspective, tuition in 2008 was only $14892. For 2010-11, it will be $24726. Tuition will have almost doubled in just 4 years....amazing. I should have just gone to a private school, where tuition would be more but at least it wouldn't increase this much. MCG/GHSU needs to address this, there is no reason tuition should grow that fast.

It is what it is. If we went to Emory we'd pay more for tuition in a year than it's going to cost for everything (living included) at MCG. I can't complain too much about the state of GA because thanks to the GA lottery I don't owe anything from undergrad.

I'm curious as to whether or not you could sound more dramatic when you post about this? You haven't even stepped on campus yet, and you're already getting all pissy and talking about "I should have just gone to private school". Feel free to head to Emory and pay another 60k in tuition to get the same degree. MCG is still below the national average in tuition costs.

Listen, MCG's tuition went from 14, 14, 28, 14 to a more balanced 17, 17, 22, 17 (or something like that) when I started a few years ago, as we went to a 12 month calendar and tried to re-distribute the cost across the years.

Either way, your tuition is a small amount of money in comparison to what it costs the school/state to educate you. It's estimated that it costs 150-200k/year to educate a physician, which is significantly less that you're paying now.

If you want to complain, complain about the state giving more funding to Mercer and Emory (medical programs) than they give to their "state medical school"

First day of class will be mandatory, as will quite a few days after that. Show up to orientation and the first day, and you'll figure it out from there.

PS. There's no reason to take out the 56k that is the "cost of attendance". Most people I know do just fine on a lot less than that.

... There's your reason.

Fahimaz7, while you're here, scan my posts on this page and speak to me on whether or not I should apply EDP, RD, or not at all.

Fahimaz7, while you're here, scan my posts on this page and speak to me on whether or not I should apply EDP, RD, or not at all.

If you don't mind, could you please do the same for me also, Fahimaz7?

Personally, I would spend two weeks or something and work out your demons on that MCAT. As for applying EDP, you will have the opportunity to update your file before the admissions committee is even done with their EDP interview, as acceptances don't go out until the end of September. MCG is getting more competitive, and as people already mentioned, our EDP class averages are 3.7/31, with only 40 or something being admitted last year.

Dr. Young will tell you that the earlier you apply the better, as it takes time to get letters of recommendation in and everything completed. I think you're in the same boat as the guy above, meaning that you could really benefit by finding a few more points on that MCAT score.

Out of curiosity, why don't you two just take the MCAT sooner?

Personally, I would spend two weeks or something and work out your demons on that MCAT. As for applying EDP, you will have the opportunity to update your file before the admissions committee is even done with their EDP interview, as acceptances don't go out until the end of September. MCG is getting more competitive, and as people already mentioned, our EDP class averages are 3.7/31, with only 40 or something being admitted last year.

Dr. Young will tell you that the earlier you apply the better, as it takes time to get letters of recommendation in and everything completed. I think you're in the same boat as the guy above, meaning that you could really benefit by finding a few more points on that MCAT score.

Out of curiosity, why don't you two just take the MCAT sooner?

My reason for not taking it earlier is not having enough time to study. I just finished school last week and got back from a conference today, so I would have only had 3 weeks to re-study all of the material if I took it in June, and that didn't seem like enough time to do everything that I need to do to get a better score. It's a lot of material and I didn't want to take it earlier if it meant I'd be unprepared.

I'm working on getting all of my letters of rec and everything in right now, so hopefully, my school can get everything sent out quickly! Thanks for your help!

No worries man. Only you now how much time you need to take to study. Personally though, I think I would need 2 weeks to get it done again (assuming you work quickly and dedicate your life to it). The last time I took it I did so with a week of prep, but I was studying from 7am until I went to sleep for those days.

A lot of medical students spend <3 weeks preparing for Step 1 and 2, but they study just about every waking minute during that time period.

I'm curious as to whether or not you could sound more dramatic when you post about this? You haven't even stepped on campus yet, and you're already getting all pissy and talking about "I should have just gone to private school". Feel free to head to Emory and pay another 60k in tuition to get the same degree. MCG is still below the national average in tuition costs.

Listen, MCG's tuition went from 14, 14, 28, 14 to a more balanced 17, 17, 22, 17 (or something like that) when I started a few years ago, as we went to a 12 month calendar and tried to re-distribute the cost across the years.

If you want to complain, complain about the state giving more funding to Mercer and Emory (medical programs) than they give to their "state medical school"

I'm actually amazed that someone here would defend tuition increases. Oh wait...you have the luxury because you already started and get to avoid the full blunt of the tuition increase. By the way, tuition is now 24, 26, 26, 24. Can you see the difference? If you want to pay more then go ahead but I am paying for tuition and expenses all by myself. My parents can't help me because they are already struggling to get by and it would be wrong to take money from them. Sorry if I sound stingy but if no one complains about tuition increases, it will just keep skyrocketing.

You know what else is amazing? MCG administrators salaries increased 50% in 5 years WITH BUDGET CUTS. The school gives the same BS as Wall Street about wanting to retain employees by giving them raises and bonuses. I would like to see you defend that.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2010-05-02/salaries-mcg-administrators-soar-5-years

MCG's tuition is not below average for a public school. Look at UNC or any school in Texas. Tuition is less than $13,000 a year at those institutions. In fact, MCG's tuition is the fastest growing out of all 133 accredited medical schools in the US.

I'm not telling people not to attend MCG. They can decide for themselves but I am trying to make people aware of a growing issue that will affect future MCG classes. People attacking me are the ones getting pissy when I am just trying to point a legitimate concern.

Last edited:
I'm actually amazed that someone here would defend tuition increases. Oh wait...you have the luxury because you already started and get to avoid the full blunt of the tuition increase. By the way, tuition is now 24, 26, 26, 24. Can you see the difference? If you want to pay more then go ahead but I am paying for tuition and expenses all by myself. My parents can't help me because they are already struggling to get by and it would be wrong to take money from them. Sorry if I sound stingy but if no one complains about tuition increases, it will just keep skyrocketing.

You know what else is amazing? MCG administrators salaries increased 50% in 5 years WITH BUDGET CUTS. The school gives the same BS as Wall Street about wanting to retain employees by giving them raises and bonuses. I would like to see you defend that.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2010-05-02/salaries-mcg-administrators-soar-5-years

MCG's tuition is not below average for a public school. Look at UNC or any school in Texas. Tuition is less than $13,000 a year at those institutions. In fact, MCG's tuition is the fastest growing out of all 133 accredited medical schools in the US.

I'm not telling people not to attend MCG. They can decide for themselves but I am trying to make people aware of a growing issue that will affect future MCG classes. People attacking me are the ones getting pissy when I am just trying to point a legitimate concern.

I agree that the increases to tuition because of budget cuts and increases in administrator salaries are shocking, pretty crappy, and quite ironic. IMO, however, MCG is still the best "bang for your buck" medical school in Georgia--again I stress that this is my sole opinion. I don't see where complaining about it will do any good--there are literally thousands of students each year that would pay twice the current tuition to get an acceptance. College tuition is like any other consumer good... if you don't like the price, then don't buy it. No one is forced you to go to MCG.

College tuition is like any other consumer good... if you don't like the price, then don't buy it. No one is forced you to go to MCG.

You forget one thing. I was not given the full price of all 4 years tuition when I decided to attend MCG. All I had to go by was the current year's tuition. MCG would effectively be pulling a bait and switch scam by raising tuition dramatically each year while I am enrolled as they know I have to choice but to pay it. College tuition is NOT like a consumer good.

People saying private school is more expensive also forget another thing. Private school give tons of grants and scholarships that when accounted for, make tuition less than most public schools. I know at Emory, a few get full-ride scholarships and dozens get at least $10,000 in grants each year. Only in state schools are students expected to pay the "sticker price"

Last edited:
You forget one thing. I was not given the full price of all 4 years tuition when I decided to attend MCG. All I had to go by was the current year's tuition. MCG would effectively be pulling a bait and switch scam by raising tuition dramatically each year while I am enrolled as they know I have to choice but to pay it. College tuition is NOT like a consumer good.

Point accepted. We are talking about less than $10K though (disregard interest over the life of the loan blah blah). Speaking comically, that may mean choosing the BMW 3-series over the 5-series at some point or it may mean one less trip to Paris each fall. $10K is less than 5% of what you and I will eventually owe the government--a drop in the bucket in my opinion. Sounds to me like you are upset about choosing MCG over a private and I hate that you'll feel like your getting ripped off for the next 4 years.

I agree that the increases to tuition because of budget cuts and increases in administrator salaries are shocking, pretty crappy, and quite ironic. IMO, however, MCG is still the best "bang for your buck" medical school in Georgia--again I stress that this is my sole opinion. I don't see where complaining about it will do any good--there are literally thousands of students each year that would pay twice the current tuition to get an acceptance. College tuition is like any other consumer good... if you don't like the price, then don't buy it. No one is forced you to go to MCG.

Will you just go ahead and attend a private school (Directed at TAWS).

People saying private school is more expensive also forget another thing. Private school give tons of grants and scholarships that when accounted for, make tuition less than most public schools. I know at Emory, a few get full-ride scholarships and dozens get at least $10,000 in grants each year. Only in state schools are students expected to pay the "sticker price"

You're not the only person who has to pay tuition, fees, books, living expenses, etc by yourself. My wife is also in school here at MCG, which means that we have zero income and 100% debt at the moment. If you want to link bull**** articles from the Augusta Chronicle about salaries of administrators, feel free to also find evidence that supports the claim that they are over paid for their position.

High ranking administrators at major state universities make money. They're not idiots that want to take a huge salary hit (most are doctors here btw) to sit around in a room and debate how to run a university. The AC journalists also picked on some of our clinical faculty and their salaries, without even acknowledging how much money they bring to the school and hospital. 500k/year is not an extravagant amount of money to pay the chair of ENT, which happens to be one of the top parotid surgeons in the world.

As I already eluded to, you're not even in school here so try not to sound like the sky is already falling. You sound like you are whining about having to pay tuition. Does it suck? It sure does, but not enough to come onto SDN and sound like you do. BTW, it's not a bait and switch. It's a direct product of the states inability to balance a budget and write policies to protect the state of higher education. No one could have predicted what was going to happen in 2008, which almost lead to the closure of multiple programs here at MCG (including nurse anesthetists program!). I'd like to see you balance the school budget, when $100,000,000 of state money has been removed over the past 48 months, without raising tuition/fees/etc

PS. MCG was 30/78 last year for all public medical schools (MD) in the country for tuition (The UC schools are over 30k for tuition, even though they are listed as 0 on that form). Go look for yourself on the AAMC site.

PSS. I can't believe I got lured into the stupid conversation, considering that there's absolutely nothing that can be done about tuition increases. The board of regents approved a vote that says they cannot increase our tuition by more than 10% a year, if that's of any use to you.

Last edited:
Do you guys think that movement on the waitlist is significantly less as compared to last year?

@TAWS:

The budget cuts (and, in turn, tuition increases) that we are seeing within the University System are not hardly the fault of the MCG/GHSU Administrators, as they are alotted a certain amount of funds to "spread around" by the Board of Regents each year. Moreover, it is not the Board's fault, as they (once again) receive a pool of money in which to distribute among the USG's 30+ institutions. And, while I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to say it's not even really the Lawmaker's fault because they have to receive their money from somewhere, too: the Georgia Taxpayer.

It's not 2006 any more, and the economy may never be that obnoxiously healthy again. While I don't have factual numbers in front of me right now, I have sat in on several budget committee meetings and when you look at the numbers it is (painfully) simple to see that tuition costs must go up. It is either that, or we sacrifice the quality of our education. And for me in particular (an M1 in the fall in Augusta), when pursuing such a prestigious degree, I am okay with some tuition increases.

For now, we have to bear with our State and weather this storm. Education has never been so readily available, and we can thank the contributions our great State has offered to making it particularly affordable here in recent decades. But, we also can't sit idly by. My proposition? Come November remind your LEGISLATORS, not your fellow future M1s on the SDN, the importance of higher education in general (as this will supply the BOR with the most funds the State can offer, and in turn keep our tuition low).

If we only increase the # of Georgians that obtain a 4 year degree by 5%, it means an extra $160 Million dollars each year in TAX revenue? Sounds good to me. For other information like this, please look at the research below.

http://www.atlantahighered.org/default.aspx?tabid=627&Report=3&xmid=255
http://www.atlantahighered.org/default.aspx?tabid=627&Report=2&xmid=222

And lastly, for my personal opinion: You're gonna be an MD one day. You'll make your money back. Don't get too worried about our tuition, as we are all but GUARANTEED a job when we graduate with this degree. Worry about others who aren't as lucky and our state as a whole.

Thanks!

Hate to interrupt this great convo, but... I got in off the wait list pretty recently and am looking for a male M1 roommate. PM me if you are interested or have any suggestions for finding a roommate. Later dudes

Fahmiaz (or any other previous first years), can you shed some addition light on some first year expenses? I just reviewed my loan package and I received $42.7k for an estimated $53k cost of attendance. I am single, living with a roommate, and am trying to pay for almost everything without bothering my parents for $$.

How much did you personally spend on books/supplies for year 1?
How much did you spend on equipment/instruments?
I see an estimate of $360 for class notes/printouts, is that relevant? Same question for the $120 microscope rental.
National Boards/Practice Fee and Note-taking/Tutor Svc/Software Fee--are those fees mandatory (collected by the school like technology, fitness center fees, etc)? If not, should they be an important part of my budget?
Lastly, can I live moderately comfortable (~$1000 a month for rent/utilities/food/gas/etc) with the $43k that I was granted?

Fahmiaz (or any other previous first years), can you shed some addition light on some first year expenses? I just reviewed my loan package and I received $42.7k for an estimated $53k cost of attendance. I am single, living with a roommate, and am trying to pay for almost everything without bothering my parents for $$.

How much did you personally spend on books/supplies for year 1?
How much did you spend on equipment/instruments?
I see an estimate of $360 for class notes/printouts, is that relevant? Same question for the $120 microscope rental.
National Boards/Practice Fee and Note-taking/Tutor Svc/Software Fee--are those fees mandatory (collected by the school like technology, fitness center fees, etc)? If not, should they be an important part of my budget?
Lastly, can I live moderately comfortable (~$1000 a month for rent/utilities/food/gas/etc) with the $43k that I was granted?

Books/supplies <200 (used netters atlas, BRS physiology). There are plenty of electronic copies out there as well from your mentor.
Equipment <150
Buy a lazer printer, it's cheaper that way. 2 years of notes gets expensive, vs the cost of just buying it yourself.
Fees are mandatory
If your rent is cheap, you should be fine. You can always bump the loan money up with grad plus loans during the year if needed.

Hey current/future students...any advice/suggestions on what type of laptop to get? I know Mac users swear by Macs and PC users swear by PCs. I actually have both, but I'll need a new one for school. Any ideas on pros/cons or is it really just personal preference? Thanks!
PS. Anyone in my boat - Best Buy is giving away an XBOX 360 with any PC purchase over $699. The special probably ends Sunday.

Hey current/future students...any advice/suggestions on what type of laptop to get? I know Mac users swear by Macs and PC users swear by PCs. I actually have both, but I'll need a new one for school. Any ideas on pros/cons or is it really just personal preference? Thanks!
PS. Anyone in my boat - Best Buy is giving away an XBOX 360 with any PC purchase over $699. The special probably ends Sunday.

Future student here, but my understanding is that both will get you through school equally. Since you have both, then you know first hand the pros/cons of each aside from school-related functionality. Again, I hear both work equally as far as med school software at MCG goes. The XBOX is a sweet incentive, I must admit--however, I am a mac person myself. For those interested in purchasing a mac keep in mind that the "free iPod with mac purchase" education promotion is about a week from starting back up according to macrumors.com.

I did the free ipod + no tax +student discount deal when I matriculated in. 13 inch MBP has served me well, as I use it every day and I haven't ever had a problem with it. Lots of my buddies with PC's have since sold them and bought the MBP's, since they weigh less, have a longer battery life, and just tend to survive better than the PC's.

Anybody heard of any recent waitist movements? Just wondering if it is still moving.

Accepted off the waitlist but withdrew my application. Good luck to the next in line- it's definitely moving!

Will you just go ahead and attend a private school (Directed at TAWS).

Wow, I hope people at MCG don't have the same attitude as you. I complain and you tell me to go to another school? You should stop being so belligerent, as you are making the school look bad on this board.

You're not the only person who has to pay tuition, fees, books, living expenses, etc by yourself. My wife is also in school here at MCG, which means that we have zero income and 100% debt at the moment.

You are in "100% debt" and still don't see tuition increases as that bad? Think about it this way: a $10,000 tuition increase will actually amount to $27,682.64 of debt assuming you pay 8.5% interest over 30 years.

High ranking administrators at major state universities make money. They're not idiots that want to take a huge salary hit (most are doctors here btw) to sit around in a room and debate how to run a university.

Nice job it is being an administrator at MCG. They get raises when the school is doing bad and get even more raises when the school is doing well. How do you think this is doing for employee morale? I am working at MCG right now and can tell you people are upset.

As I already eluded to, you're not even in school here so try not to sound like the sky is already falling. You sound like you are whining about having to pay tuition. Does it suck? It sure does, but not enough to come onto SDN and sound like you do. BTW, it's not a bait and switch. It's a direct product of the states inability to balance a budget and write policies to protect the state of higher education. No one could have predicted what was going to happen in 2008, which almost lead to the closure of multiple programs here at MCG (including nurse anesthetists program!). I'd like to see you balance the school budget, when $100,000,000 of state money has been removed over the past 48 months, without raising tuition/fees/etc

I got an easy solution to solve the budget crisis: raise taxes. Will you see it happen? No, because the Republicans have a strangle-hold of Georgia and don't believe in raising taxes under any circumstances. A courrpt governor also doesn't help as he only appoints campaign contributors to his adminstration. Georgia is starting to become a backwards state like Alabama and Mississippi.

MCG paid $3 million dollars to change their name to GHSU. That money alone could have froze tuition for every student at MCG for years.

PS. MCG was 30/78 last year for all public medical schools (MD) in the country for tuition (The UC schools are over 30k for tuition, even though they are listed as 0 on that form). Go look for yourself on the AAMC site.

I guess you have a point here. We will see where MCG is on the list for 2011-2012.

PSS. I can't believe I got lured into the stupid conversation, considering that there's absolutely nothing that can be done about tuition increases. The board of regents approved a vote that says they cannot increase our tuition by more than 10% a year, if that's of any use to you.

So talking about tuition is a stupid coversation? You just don't get it. Something can be done. Write to your legislators and urge them to invest in more Georgia doctors. Last time I checked, we needed more family doctors. How will med students being in more debt help increase the amount of family doctors?

Last edited:
@TAWS:
And lastly, for my personal opinion: You're gonna be an MD one day. You'll make your money back. Don't get too worried about our tuition, as we are all but GUARANTEED a job when we graduate with this degree. Worry about others who aren't as lucky and our state as a whole.

Thing is, you won't get paid "doctors money" until you are well into your 30s. Ever skip a night out because you wanted to save money? Put off a vacation or trip somewhere to work? Eat fast food because it's cheap? All of these choices you make because of money. It's simple. DEBT=SLAVERY. NO DEBT=FREEDOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.