2010-2011 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh I'm so nervous for post May 15th. :eek:

Do you think they will start calling on the Monday or the Tuesday?!?

*fingers crossed for my fellow waitlisters!!!* :xf:

I hope that is what gonna happen!! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck guys!:luck:

Btw fnsweet, you can withdraw by phone or by email to admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused by a deadline in May coming up (or so I've been told). What is the date that you can hold one acceptance? And how does that work out? What about waitlists? Can we still be on the waitlists or do we have to decline those too before the deadline?

I'm a little confused by a deadline in May coming up (or so I've been told). What is the date that you can hold one acceptance? And how does that work out? What about waitlists? Can we still be on the waitlists or do we have to decline those too before the deadline?

You need to only have one acceptance by the end of Monday, May 16th. That means you must pick one school and withdraw from all others (via email or calling the respective admissions offices). You get your money back that you paid for the spot if you withdraw by Monday. If you don't, technically they can rescind your admissions offer unless you talk to them before-hand.

You can continue to be on as many waitlists as possible. Every time you get an acceptance off a wait-list, you will again have to choose one school.

Recently withdrew my acceptance offer. Best of luck to all.

so we have until Monday, May 16? I thought the deadline was May 15?

I saw a correspondence from the admissions director that referenced the 16th. Also, I would hate to be the person who has to work on Sunday & deal with the withdrawal traffic...

so we have until Monday, May 16? I thought the deadline was May 15?

The deadline is normally the 15th, but if it falls on a weekend, then the deadline shifts to the first following business day. From the AAMC's traffic rules for applicants:

9. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.
*If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will begin on the following business day.

Withdrew my acceptance. This was the first school I got into and it was hard to let it go. Good luck to everyone on the WL!

Thanks to all of you who opened up spots on the waitlist! I hope there is lots of movement! Best of luck to all of you! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist yet??

Did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist yet??

it doesn't look like it so far.. did anyone call today to ask about when movement is expected to begin? or how many people are on the waitlist?

EDIT:

I spoke with someone from the admissions office via online chat and they said that there is approx. 200 people on the waitlist and that waitlist movement has not begun as of yet, and to check back later this week or early next week.

Last edited:
I interviewed for a wait list only spot at the end of March. I am OOS (from Minnesota) and was in the first quartile.

I did send an update letter with a research abstract from a project I worked on this past semester, as well as an updated transcript from the fall semester.

Hope you guys hear something soon!

it doesn't look like it so far.. did anyone call today to ask about when movement is expected to begin? or how many people are on the waitlist?

EDIT:

I spoke with someone from the admissions office via online chat and they said that there is approx. 200 people on the waitlist and that waitlist movement has not begun as of yet, and to check back later this week or early next week.

Yeah, I'm on the waitlist (second quartile :() and I called them today. So far, a few offers have been made and there will be more offers made in the following weeks. I talked to Ms. Haluzak last month and she said that 40 people are in the first quartile, then #41-85 are in the second, and the rest in the bottom half. On average, 50-60 offers are given to waitlisters each year. So, depending on where people lie in the second quartile, there could very well be a good chance of getting that call, or not at all.

I'm hoping I'm #41! lol

Best of luck to everyone who is on the waitlist, and thank you to those who have let us know they have withdrawn and are giving us their best wishes. And, congrats, flannel!!!!!

I am under the impression, not as many spots were open this year compare to last year, when I talked to Ms. Haluzak, she pretty much did not tell me anything but to wait. Can someone please tell me that my impression is wrong... lol

Yeah, it very well is. I am a re-applicant and the process lasted until July last year.

Keep up your spirits, my fellow waitlisters. I know how nerve wracking it can be not knowing what will be happening, but we still have time :)

Has anybody heard anything yet? I thought there would have been more movement by now...

It's getting into the first quartile. May dip into the second quartile in early June.

any grad students applying to MCW this past cycle? i'm a grad student now and i emailed them about letters of rec and they wanted a letter from the dean of the grad program (which isn't happening for me b/c my program is more than 1000 people). did you still just apply and turn in grad prof letters? or should i not even bother...

any grad students applying to MCW this past cycle? i'm a grad student now and i emailed them about letters of rec and they wanted a letter from the dean of the grad program (which isn't happening for me b/c my program is more than 1000 people). did you still just apply and turn in grad prof letters? or should i not even bother...

I applied this past cycle as a grad student and did not get a letter from the Dean. I submitted a letter from my advisor and listed one of my other faculty letters as the "dean's letter." I didn't realize one needed a dean's letter til I was submitting my application, so I just went with what I had and called the office of admissions after submitting to see if I need to mail another letter. The director of admissions and he told me he had already approved my letter packet and submitted my application for review.

So probably you don't need the dean's letters if they feel your letter packet indicates you are in good standing in your program. But you should call tomorrow to double check. In the end I was accepted to MCW and I plan to attend.

Good luck!

I applied this past cycle as a grad student and did not get a letter from the Dean. I submitted a letter from my advisor and listed one of my other faculty letters as the "dean's letter." I didn't realize one needed a dean's letter til I was submitting my application, so I just went with what I had and called the office of admissions after submitting to see if I need to mail another letter. The director of admissions and he told me he had already approved my letter packet and submitted my application for review.

So probably you don't need the dean's letters if they feel your letter packet indicates you are in good standing in your program. But you should call tomorrow to double check. In the end I was accepted to MCW and I plan to attend.

Good luck!

Thanks! I hope everything turns out ok b/c I just have two grad prof letters b/c I haven't started my thesis portion yet but hopefully it'll all work out. Congrats on your acceptance!

It's getting into the first quartile. May dip into the second quartile in early June.

Did the admission's office tell you this? I'm in the first quartile--so, I should expect to hear something good this week?!

Thanks! I hope everything turns out ok b/c I just have two grad prof letters b/c I haven't started my thesis portion yet but hopefully it'll all work out. Congrats on your acceptance!

Thank and good luck with your thesis!

They will definitely work with you, perhaps they may want a letter from your department chair stating that they know you are applying to med school and are in good standing. Your graduate secretary should be able to take care of that for you.

MCW has an awesome admissions office, so don't hesitate to call them at anytime. Definitely apply. I even chose this school after getting into my top choice, so you just never know where you will feel like you best fit.

Did the admission's office tell you this? I'm in the first quartile--so, I should expect to hear something good this week?!

u might get accepted today! But the admission told me the second round will come after june 3rd. and at this rate, I anticipate, it will still be somewhere in first quartile by the early june.

u might get accepted today! But the admission told me the second round will come after june 3rd. and at this rate, I anticipate, it will still be somewhere in first quartile by the early june.

Just wondering, who told you that the second round will come after June 3rd? I just spoke with the admissions office and they told me that offers are given throughout the week and did not mention June 3rd specifically. They did however mention that movement has been slow, but is expected to pick up.

does anyone know if our usernames for the ANGEL login is the same as our email addresses?

If so, can we change it? They took the first couple letters of my first name and whole last name and I prefer to have something slightly different .

Not a big deal, just wondering. thanks!

Just wondering, who told you that the second round will come after June 3rd? I just spoke with the admissions office and they told me that offers are given throughout the week and did not mention June 3rd specifically. They did however mention that movement has been slow, but is expected to pick up.

only a few offers through out the week, that's what I have been told. and Ms. Haluzak told me that the first batches of offers has a dead line of june 3rd for the applicants to decide...

What do they mean by picking up speed...lol so arbitrary, how to pick up speed if only so many spots are available? do they expect more spots to open up soon?

only a few offers through out the week, that's what I have been told. and Ms. Haluzak told me that the first batches of offers has a dead line of june 3rd for the applicants to decide...

What do they mean by picking up speed...lol so arbitrary, how to pick up speed if only so many spots are available? do they expect more spots to open up soon?

I got off the waitlist at another school and gave up my acceptance here today. I assume there will be others like me, which will open up some spots. Good luck! :luck:

does anyone know if our usernames for the ANGEL login is the same as our email addresses?

If so, can we change it? They took the first couple letters of my first name and whole last name and I prefer to have something slightly different .

Not a big deal, just wondering. thanks!

Your ANGEL login is your full [email protected]

As far as I know you can't change it. For students its always the first letter of your first name+your last, as long as that isn't already used. Otherwise they'll start using extra letters of your first name. (Ex: the first student named John Smith got [email protected], the next one got josmith, etc)

I am looking for a little advice with regards to financial aid. I was recently accepted to another school and have been offered a 20k scholarship for four years. This makes the school about 14k cheaper than mcw. I haven't received any financial aid information from mcw yet, and was wondering if it would be worth contacting mcw to see if they would be willing to help with costs. I would prefer to matriculate at mcw since it is closer to family and friends, but the price difference is making me question my decision.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Got the pre-interview rejection email this past Monday... finally the application process is officially over for me!!! :D

GL to everyone! :luck:

I was accepted off the waitlist and just sent in my deposit today. It was a hard decision, but I know it was the right one.

Good luck fellow waitlisters!

Do you know who I should call? The Dean? The Office of Financial Aid?

When I talked to the financial aid office (admissions transferred the call to them), I was told that one of the financial adviser can help figure out an estimate. I didn't follow through because I'm going somewhere else... so I can't really tell you how accurate the estimate may be. :)

The staff at MCW are the NICEST! Just give them a call and they will guide you all the way.

I was accepted off the waitlist and just sent in my deposit today. It was a hard decision, but I know it was the right one.

Congrats Venus Neutron! Just wondering were you in the 1st quartile? and did you interview for waitlist only or not? I'm in the first quartile and I really want to go to MCW! I hope I get the call soon too! *fingers crossed*

I too am in the 1st Quartile, really hoping to get a call! I do have an acceptance, but I like this school a lot more..... Any speculation as to when there might be more offers going out?

Congrats Venus Neutron! Just wondering were you in the 1st quartile? and did you interview for waitlist only or not? I'm in the first quartile and I really want to go to MCW! I hope I get the call soon too! *fingers crossed*

Thanks! My fingers are crossed for you! Yes, I was in the first quartile after a waitlist only interview (the very last possible day). So funny how things work out. I sent an update letter right and turned in all the financial aid forms after interviewing. The deadline for accepting my offer was June 3rd, so I can confirm that from earlier posts. I bet there is lots of movement on June 4. I think the odds are in your favor, critter.

I am so excited about this school! Time to start looking for an apartment in Tosa:)

congrats venus! i know im joining the party a little late, but i'm in the 2nd quartile...dying for some WL movement over here. down to a couple waitlists for me and i LOVED the interview day at mcw. would go here in a heartbeat...gluck to everyone who is still waiting! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.