2010-2011 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now officially an M2 here at MCW, just finished my first year. It's so funny and crazy to come back into this forum now and see you guys here just like I was around this time last year. Good luck to you all! Try to stay positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything lately from the wait-list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations klr34!:) That must have been awesome to hear the way you did. Just a few questions: What quartile of the waitlist were you in? How long did they give you to respond to the offer?

Thanks a bunch!

Congratulations klr34!:) That must have been awesome to hear the way you did. Just a few questions: What quartile of the waitlist were you in? How long did they give you to respond to the offer?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks! I was in the first quartile and I have until June 10th to respond. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Thanks! I was in the first quartile and I have until June 10th to respond. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Congrats!! do you roughly know where you were, in the first quartile?

thanks

Hey everyone, I just got the call from Jennifer today! :D I'm so excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone in August!! (I was in the top half of the 1st quartile and am a Canadian applicant -- and I have until June 17th to respond)

Hey everyone, I just got the call from Jennifer today! :D I'm so excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone in August!! (I was in the top half of the 1st quartile and am a Canadian applicant -- and I have until June 17th to respond)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering how you guys found out that you were in the top of the first quartile? I am in the first quartile too but not sure if I am in the top or bottom...should I call and ask?

Hey I was wondering how you guys found out that you were in the top of the first quartile? I am in the first quartile too but not sure if I am in the top or bottom...should I call and ask?

You can call them and find out, a rough idea is possible....

:xf::luck: for all of us.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Quick question for current students (or, well .. anyone who knows haha). We're supposed to order our white coats online, but I'm not entirely sure which size will work best.

Does anyone know if you end up picking something that's too small/large, whether you can change it? Or are you on your own? I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can, but if anyone knows and can remind me, that'd be great!

Thanks!

You can call them and find out, a rough idea is possible....

:xf::luck: for all of us.

Yeah, I think I will do the same. I am in the second quartile, and depending on if I'm first half or second half, I will know my chances for this year :scared:Thanks for the info!

I just gave the office a call and talked to Jennifer Haluzak. I was in the 2nd quartile when they let everyone know. She estimated that 20-25 offers have been made already for this cycle. Offers of deferment are also made in late July, accorrding to Jennifer. :xf:

Wow, thanks for the update. Yeah, I called the office too but I wasn't able to find out what general position I was in in the second quartile.

Since 20-25 offers have been made so far, we still have a long way to go. Also, since offers of deferment are in late July, we still have at least two months to hope for the best :)

Thanks again for the info, Hew.

Yeah, great update. That is pretty decent movement, so far. Do we know the size of each quartile?

250 total waitlisters: 40 in the first, 45 in the second, 165 in the bottom half. Now that there have been offers made, I'm sure there's fewer than 250 - around 220?

Hi guys,

Quick question for current students (or, well .. anyone who knows haha). We're supposed to order our white coats online, but I'm not entirely sure which size will work best.

Does anyone know if you end up picking something that's too small/large, whether you can change it? Or are you on your own? I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can, but if anyone knows and can remind me, that'd be great!

Thanks!

I would advise getting a coat thats a little bigger than normal. You are going to have to put lots of things in the pockets and you want to be able to move with it. You won't be wearing a jacket under the coat (it's way too uncomfortable), so I would say to just get 1 size larger than you normally would. I could be wrong, but I believe that you can order a second one when you are registering for the ceremony. Also, there are coats for sale in the bookstore, so if you need a new one for whatever reason, they are there for you.

250 total waitlisters: 40 in the first, 45 in the second, 165 in the bottom half. Now that there have been offers made, I'm sure there's fewer than 250 - around 220?

Not that I'm questioning your numbers Dazed, but shouldn't the top half be equal to the bottom half? First + Second = 85. Bottom half = 165. Maybe MCW is quirky like that? Did you get those numbers from Jennifer Haluzak? Thanks for the response btw, I'm just a little confused.

Sorry, I double checked the notes I took when I talked to Jennifer last month. Here is the breakdown:

under 200 people total on waitlist

first quartile: #1-40
second quartile: #41-90
bottom half: #91-200

Make sense? I hope I cleared some confusion. You sure cleared some of my mine! lol Thanks for that :D

So she also said they would make 40-50 offers... do you guys think she meant 40-50 offers total, or 40-50 people ACCEPTED from the waitlist?

Hmmm...Good question. I am not sure if I understood her correctly, but she said that on average, 50-60 people are taken off the waitlist each year, based off of the notes I have lol.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hey,

If it's the same as last year, we "ordered" a white coat as part of our pre-school online paperwork, but everyone tries on coats during orientation week to get the correct size. I think they're just trying to get ballpark numbers of each size through this online order you're doing right now. Does that make sense?

Thanks for clearing that up, Dazed.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if you ask me, 40-50 offers means just that. Probably 40-50 total offers to fill whatever seats they have. Obviously, all of this speculation is subject to change. Hopefully, there is still a lot of movement left so that us 2nd quartile people stand a shot. :xf:

Hmmm...Good question. I am not sure if I understood her correctly, but she said that on average, 50-60 people are taken off the waitlist each year, based off of the notes I have lol.

Ok well... if it's 50-60 additional acceptances and not just offers, I feel a little better. lol

Thanks for clearing that up, Dazed.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if you ask me, 40-50 offers means just that. Probably 40-50 total offers to fill whatever seats they have. Obviously, all of this speculation is subject to change. Hopefully, there is still a lot of movement left so that us 2nd quartile people stand a shot. :xf:

Yeah, let's hope so. I'm in the same boat as you, so I know your sentiments!

LakersMD, don't take my word, but let's hope that is the case!

Either way, 50 seems to be the magic number in both cases? lol

Go second quartile! :clap:

I just gave the office a call and talked to Jennifer Haluzak. I was in the 2nd quartile when they let everyone know. She estimated that 20-25 offers have been made already for this cycle. Offers of deferment are also made in late July, accorrding to Jennifer. :xf:

Thanks for sharing!! Everyone....

Go Wait-listers!!

I think we should start a cheerleading team for the waitlisters....:D

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday (first quartile)! I have until June 17th to decide, but it's likely I'll withdraw my application (which is hard on me because I absolutely loved MCW when I interviewed there).

Haha. Count me in, Dazed!

Woot!

amandaeleven said:
Accepted off the waitlist yesterday (first quartile)! I have until June 17th to decide, but it's likely I'll withdraw my application (which is hard on me because I absolutely loved MCW when I interviewed there).

Thanks for letting us know, Amanda. Best of luck!

Hey,

If it's the same as last year, we "ordered" a white coat as part of our pre-school online paperwork, but everyone tries on coats during orientation week to get the correct size. I think they're just trying to get ballpark numbers of each size through this online order you're doing right now. Does that make sense?

Ahh yeah ... that's actually what I'd read somewhere else as well. Great .. thanks so much!

How do you find out if you are in the top or bottom half of your quartile cause the admissions office refused to tell me...

If anyone from 2nd quartile gets a call. Please post :)

How do you find out if you are in the top or bottom half of your quartile cause the admissions office refused to tell me...

well, the waiting is hard for everyone. I feel you. and I think the admission committee knows it too. They will let us know ASAP. :xf::xf:

Would you like to join our team of second quartile awesomeness? After all, there is solidarity in numbers, so come join us! hehe

Believe me, we will definitely post if we got an offer!

I wasn't able to find out either if I was in the top or bottom half, but like skiwty said, we'll know soon enough :)

Jennifer said that I was "not yet in the 1st quartile," which implies that they might shift all the names up after each wave of offers. Maybe we can call every so often to see if that changes! :D

congrats amanda!!! :) best of luck in making your decision.

Jennifer said that I was "not yet in the 1st quartile," which implies that they might shift all the names up after each wave of offers. Maybe we can call every so often to see if that changes! :D

interesting. i wonder how that works exactly.

hopefully, we continue to see some good movement. another batch of acceptances will likely be sent next monday/tuesday, since some offers have a deadline of tomorrow (if i recall correctly).

hopefully, we continue to see some good movement. another batch of acceptances will likely be sent next monday/tuesday, since some offers have a deadline of tomorrow (if i recall correctly).

Yes, you're absolutely right! I think there is another deadline on the 17th as well.

Hewulfff said:

Woot! When did you talk to her? I might have to talk to her to see if I get an idea of where I am. :idea: Thanks for the update!

Just called Jennifer and was told that this years waitlist is moving considerably slower than last years waitlist...o god let's all pray that this is not another 2008....

Just called Jennifer and was told that this years waitlist is moving considerably slower than last years waitlist...o god let's all pray that this is not another 2008....

That is rather unfortunate. Did she happen to mention any specific numbers, in terms of movement so far/predicted movement?

She said so far 25 offers have been made and none have declined so far, so given this situation maybe another 15 will given out this cycle and possibly another handful of offers for deferment

She said so far 25 offers have been made and none have declined so far, so given this situation maybe another 15 will given out this cycle and possibly another handful of offers for deferment

Man. When I interviewed there were some medical students who were accepted from the 3rd quartile. Is that even going to happen this year?:scared:

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to predict how the waitlist will move from one year to another. My year (class of 2013) had a pretty good waitlist movement, as did the year ahead of us. The year after us wasn't nearly was much. You just have to hope for the best and really try to keep patient.

As a side note for anyone interested, the decline in waitlist acceptances has happened at almost every school across the county since the 2008 cycle. The problem is the economy. When the economy tanked and it was harder to find a job, more people started to apply to medical school. (https://www.aamc.org/download/153708/data/charts1982to2011.pdf) If you look at the dates of the upswings, they sync up pretty well with major stock market crashes (88-99 was the fall of the Soviet Union, 02-03 was the Iraq war and 08-09 is the current one). The current swing hasn't been around long enough to really show up on the scale, but it is happening, as I am sure you are all well aware of.

The economy crashing has a two fold effect on the application cycle. The first is that there are more applicants applying, the second is that people are applying to fewer schools. Since money is tighter, people are not applying to as many reach and safety schools as they used to. This means that people who applied to fewer schools are getting fewer acceptances overall (this follows the rule of 3's - if people are applying to only 10 schools instead of 30, they are getting only about 3-4 interviews instead of 10-12 and 1-2 acceptance instead of 4-5). Therefore, there is a decline in waitlist movement as more people are being accepted to only 1 or 2 schools and are not withdrawing from what used to be closer to 4-5 acceptances.

I know that it sucks having to sit and wait for what seems like forever, but you just have to be patient. There is no way to know what will happen.

Best of luck to everyone waiting. Hope to see all of you next year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, cubs. That makes total sense and we just have to hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.