2010-2011 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing the date on which you interviewed? I'm just curious because I interviewed on 1/31. Looking at the acceptances so far, no one has been accepted who interviewed beyond that date, so I am hoping I will still be hearing good news soon!

interviewed 1/26/11 as did a couple other people on this thread if i'm not mistaken.

Members don't see this ad.

interviewed 1/26/11 as did a couple other people on this thread if i'm not mistaken.

Thanks. So it seems the latest date they let know was the week of Jan 26th interviewees, which was 8 weeks until they heard back with a decision...makes me think my interview date missed this cutoff and will hear in the next batch, likely at least a 12 week total wait for me so they can send out another batch while fulfilling their statement of "8-12 weeks" for notification...

So I am trying to prepare myself to wait another 4 weeks minimum for a decision...great. Hopefully I hear back sooner.

Hi all! I still haven't heard anything from this school and was wondering if anyone knows whether 1)they are still interviewing and 2) if they send out rejections before the end of the interview season.

In addition how does NYMC handle updates (grades publications etc.)?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook group for the 2015 class? If so, can anyone provide a link please?
I have been wondering this as well. There doesn't seem to be a group yet (from what I have read here and searching facebook). Post if you find out... and congrats on the acceptance!

My first acceptance!! I thought I had a bad interview too. Guess you never know! super excited! completed: 10/22 interviewed: 1/26 accepted: 3/22

Interesting I interviewed Jan. 19, and I had friend interview Jan 12 and neither of us have heard back yet. Very curious process.

Withdrew today, or rather they withdrew me because they didn't receive my signed Acceptance Form. :rolleyes:

Not only did I originally send one back in December, but upon first notice that they didn't receive it, I e-mailed them to send me another form. They never did. Maybe they just wanted my $100 deposit.

They're kind of disorganized over there. Oh well, one more spot for one of you guys. :)

I have been wondering this as well. There doesn't seem to be a group yet (from what I have read here and searching facebook). Post if you find out... and congrats on the acceptance!

I'm nominating you to make one.

I'm nominating you to make one.
At some schools the admins create a group and use it to share information with incoming students... so do they do that for NYMC or is any FB group just by students?
And now I've been nominated (thanks a lot) I can't create the group if I want to retain any anonymity here....:oops:

Withdrew today, or rather they withdrew me because they didn't receive my signed Acceptance Form. :rolleyes:

Not only did I originally send one back in December, but upon first notice that they didn't receive it, I e-mailed them to send me another form. They never did. Maybe they just wanted my $100 deposit.

They're kind of disorganized over there. Oh well, one more spot for one of you guys. :)

Upon receiving your acceptance e-mail it states that you should reply to the e-mail accepting your offer AND also send the signed acceptance form.. DId you reply via email first??

Upon receiving your acceptance e-mail it states that you should reply to the e-mail accepting your offer AND also send the signed acceptance form.. DId you reply via email first??

I accepted via e-mail followed by actually mailing them the signed acceptance form and whatever other forms were in the envelope back in December.

Everything was fine until February when they e-mailed me saying they never received it. Since it was not my first choice and I was holding on to a spot for purely financial reasons, I only e-mailed them. I told them I did send them the form and on the off chance it was lost in the mail (I've never lost anything in the mail, not that it's in my power) to please mail me another one.

They never did, and just rescinded my acceptance. They did include this line:

"In case you did not receive our acceptance letter or previous e-mail reminder please contact us immediately."

I'm not going to go through the trouble because I was likely to withdraw in May. I'm sure they handle a lot of paperwork, but losing my envelope and disregarding my follow-up e-mail in February is something I don't expect after paying the primary/secondary fee and flying all the way out there.

It was still my first acceptance though, so I'll always be glad to them for that--but they need to stop with the podiatric medicine e-mails. If you accepted me into medical school, why would I be interested in your podiatry school? :p

I accepted via e-mail followed by actually mailing them the signed acceptance form and whatever other forms were in the envelope back in December.

Everything was fine until February when they e-mailed me saying they never received it. Since it was not my first choice and I was holding on to a spot for purely financial reasons, I only e-mailed them. I told them I did send them the form and on the off chance it was lost in the mail (I've never lost anything in the mail, not that it's in my power) to please mail me another one.

They never did, and just rescinded my acceptance. They did include this line:

"In case you did not receive our acceptance letter or previous e-mail reminder please contact us immediately."

I'm not going to go through the trouble because I was likely to withdraw in May. I'm sure they handle a lot of paperwork, but losing my envelope and disregarding my follow-up e-mail in February is something I don't expect after paying the primary/secondary fee and flying all the way out there.

It was still my first acceptance though, so I'll always be glad to them for that--but they need to stop with the podiatric medicine e-mails. If you accepted me into medical school, why would I be interested in your podiatry school? :p

Wow, that's quite shocking that they RESCINDED your acceptance...at least thhey did seem to offer some sort of "if we screwed up, contact us immediately" type message.....but hey, you have somewhere else to go! :)

OMFG &*(&!!! finally got the acceptance letter after a torturous 15 week wait!! Finally know I'm gonna be a doc hell yesssssss

I have not given congrats to anyone on this forum... but you sir, deserve the congrats.

So congrats.

I was accepted as well:

Interview 12/20
Accepted 3/14

Members don't see this ad :)

They don't have a podiatry school. That is a separate entity in Harlem.

Im a 2nd yr at NYMC and I think I can offer you some advice. The difference in price adjusted for the different cost of living in brooklyn vs valhalla is about $15,000 per yr, or at least thats what it was when I was applying. That means that unless you get a scholarship to NYMC you will be saving $60,000 over 4 years. Money obviously isn't the only factor, though. You have to think if you'd rather live in a city or a suburb. Valhalla is nice and the trip to NYC is quick and easy but its obviously a completely different atmosphere. The other thing that you must must think about is where you envision you'd be happier. Unfortunately Medical school is very grueling (as I'm sure you already know) so it is imperative that you attend a school where you will be happiest. Lastly I want to say one thing about the "community" made up of students. At downstate there is a much larger proportion of students who commute/live off campus. At NYMC there is a very close knit community among the students since most live on campus for the first 2 yrs. This is important if you find this to be a positive, and most people I know do. It's not for everyone though and I know many people who prefer to live in NYC and are fine with being separated from the student body.

A couple quick pros about NYMC
-Professors are really helpful
-Very good preparation for the boards
-Facilities are relatively new
-Student body is very close (as I alluded to above)
-good amount of early (before 3rd yr) clinical experience
-Cheap on campus housing
-ability to do most (75%+) of 3rd and 4th yr rotations in NYC

A couple cons
-long academic yr 1st yr (beg of Aug to basically end of Jun)
-Uncertainty about touro (not necessarily a con but It'd be nice to know what will eventually happen)
-Price

This will probably be helpful to anyone interested in attending NYMC. One quick side note, I was very worried I wouldn't be happy here and thus far it has turned out to be a great experience...well as good an experience you could expect in Med school since the commitment and dedication needed to succeed can be overwhelming at times.

Hey...I am actually going to be in the entering class of 2015, and I wanted to know whether or not you lived on campus. If so, did you like it and are they improving anything When i interviewed last year I did an overnight stay and I stayed in the grasslands II apartments.. I didn't like it very much. Do a lot of 1st years live off campus? I lived with pple before and I really dont know if I want to do that again. I really go home to sleep n study soo im not too concerned about being disconnected.
Do you know how the grasslands I is because I wasnt able to look at those.

Thanks!

Did NYMC just send out their acceptances? Im just curious because of all the posts on here.
I've been accepted through a linkage program so i kinda knew i was going to be accepted since mid June of last year lol.
Finally tho the wait is over....well almost...2 more months of grad school

PS....also who's straight outta college?

Can current students of those who have decided to go to NYMC comment on what they like best about the school or why they chose it? Thanks.

Finally rejected pre-interview after being under review since 8/23.

GL everyone!!

I am going to withdraw my acceptance

Good luck to everyone else!

Can current students of those who have decided to go to NYMC comment on what they like best about the school or why they chose it? Thanks.

I’m not a student so I don't know anything you don't already know from interviewing, but here is my opinion of the school:

I was very impressed with the interview day (especially compared to many of the other schools where I interviewed in the area). The financial aid presentation was spectacular and it is comforting to know that they will be helpful in that process (something most schools just gloss over or don't mention at all on interview day).

The facilities (mainly the Medical Education Center for our purposes) are super nice - lecture halls, small group (module) rooms, amazing anatomy lab on the top floor.

The curriculum is a traditional block system (ie. Not systems based). The only thing I don’t like is that histology is still microscope/slide based (instead of digital like most schools).

The school is on the expensive end of the spectrum, but not by much and I think they give out some scholarships/institutional aid.

Students I talked to all seemed happy, driven, and comfortable. My faculty interviewer was extremely friendly and during downtime before my interview I sat in on a small group lecture led by one of the deans who was very welcoming and seemed like a great teacher.

If you like being in the suburbs but close to NYC (35min train), the location is perfect.

Downsides: The class size is large and the school isn’t known for its prestige, but when you’re getting a great education and the students match well, who cares? I’m not worried about Touro – NYMC is an MD school and besides changing the holidays and getting more funding/resources, Touro ownership doesn’t change anything (if the deal even works out in the end).

If choosing between here and other schools, I’d consider cost and fit (location). I’d be interested to hear your opinions (as well as other people’s thoughts) on the school and how they compare.
Any current students care to comment on/correct/add anything? Thanks.

I think you hit on a lot of the highlights.. I thought that microscopes would suck for histology but you get used to it and you really don't have to do too much studying for the histo practicals anyway. Rumor has it that they might be changing to digital images at some point soon but I know our course director loves microscopes.

On campus housing I think is nice. I went to undergrad in a big city and it was a hike to class everyday and I spent a lot of money for a crappy apartment, so it's nice to have something that is reasonably nice right off of campus. I saw that someone asked above about students living off campus... The majority live on campus, but a few do live off. If you live off campus, it means you need a car though.

It might not the the most prestigious school but as the above poster said, that doesn't matter if we match really well every year.

Any other questions feel free to ask

Oh well, no big deal. :)

;):thumbup:

Yup, just waiting for the remaining schools to reject me already so I can finally be done with the admissions process. :p

Are you still going to UB even if you get into NYMC?

Last edited:
Finally rejected pre-interview after being under review since 8/23.

GL everyone!!

sorry but do you mind telling me if you got rejected via email or status change? I'm kind of in the same situation (under review since 8/20) and have yet to hear anything. I'm pretty sure no interview offer by now is likely a "no thanks" but it would be nice to know definitively one way or another.

sorry but do you mind telling me if you got rejected via email or status change? I'm kind of in the same situation (under review since 8/20) and have yet to hear anything. I'm pretty sure no interview offer by now is likely a "no thanks" but it would be nice to know definitively one way or another.

Email. GL!!! :luck:

I'm in the same boat. Under review since 08/11/2010...I've basically given up hope at this point, but I'd rather just hear definitively.

Such a bummer, I was really pulling for NYMC. :(

Waitlisted this morning via email. Interviewed 1/31. Really wanted a straight up acceptance, but hoping this eventually turns into one.

I think you hit on a lot of the highlights.. I thought that microscopes would suck for histology but you get used to it and you really don't have to do too much studying for the histo practicals anyway. Rumor has it that they might be changing to digital images at some point soon but I know our course director loves microscopes.

On campus housing I think is nice. I went to undergrad in a big city and it was a hike to class everyday and I spent a lot of money for a crappy apartment, so it's nice to have something that is reasonably nice right off of campus. I saw that someone asked above about students living off campus... The majority live on campus, but a few do live off. If you live off campus, it means you need a car though.

It might not the the most prestigious school but as the above poster said, that doesn't matter if we match really well every year.

Any other questions feel free to ask
I'm glad to hear that using microscopes for histology isn't a big deal, though it would be a big plus if they switched to digital histo.
Living on campus sounds like the way to go, but unfortunately I'll likely have to be off campus. Thanks for the info.

;):thumbup:

Yup, just waiting for the remaining schools to reject me already so I can finally be done with the admissions process. :p

Are you still going to UB even if you get into NYMC?

Yeah, I'm really set on going to UB, since that was always my first choice.

I still won't have a decision from NYMC for a while, but it will be interesting to see what happens with that. Most likely, I'll end up withdrawing, so I hope it helps someone out here! :)

I was in the same situation as a few of you (complete at the end of August) and total silence... until recently. I just received an interview invite last week for April. So... don't lose hope! I have a friend who interviewed in May last year and was accepted here.

Waitlisted this morning via email. Interviewed 1/31. Really wanted a straight up acceptance, but hoping this eventually turns into one.

For those who interviewed on 1/31, do you have an acceptance yet?

For those who interviewed on 1/31, do you have an acceptance yet?

Do you mean an acceptance to a different med school? If so, no, I do not have any acceptances yet after 4 interviews this cycle. Just waitlists.

I was in the same situation as a few of you (complete at the end of August) and total silence... until recently. I just received an interview invite last week for April. So... don't lose hope! I have a friend who interviewed in May last year and was accepted here.

Wow that's really surprising! I can't believe it took them this long to get back to you. I guess there is still hope to hear back but either way, I'd just like to know one way or another. This endless waiting game is just becoming unbearable. I'm looking forward to Match Day where we all find out at once where we're going.

Do you mean an acceptance to a different med school? If so, no, I do not have any acceptances yet after 4 interviews this cycle. Just waitlists.

Thanks for your reply. For those who interviewed on 1/31, have your received an acceptance from NYMC?

Accepted
Likely going to decline the acceptance. I received acceptance at a school closer to home. I also didn't enjoy my interview there. This will likely open up a position for one of you who are still looking for acceptance.

When waitlisted, they tell you to reply to the email to confirm you would like to remain on the waitlist. Did anyone who was waitlisted get a reply to the email they sent admissions to remain on the waitlist or are we just supposed to assume they received it and they will keep us on the waitlist?

withdrew acceptance; too expensive as an international!
Still, I really liked the school and found the students very friendly.

Good luck to all still waiting! :luck:

When waitlisted, they tell you to reply to the email to confirm you would like to remain on the waitlist. Did anyone who was waitlisted get a reply to the email they sent admissions to remain on the waitlist or are we just supposed to assume they received it and they will keep us on the waitlist?

I sent my reply in on Thursday and didn't get a response on Friday. I was going to call sometime next week if I don't hear anything.

Just got accepted this morning and I interviewed on 2/7.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
Got offered $20,000 per year for four years (assuming satisfactory progress). It would still cost about $50,000 a year to attend. My other option is more affordable, so I'll be withdrawing. Good luck all! :)

@ Esteban, who notified you about the scholarship? Admissions office or fin aid office? Also if you don't mind sharing, where will you be going? :)

Actually, the offer came from "The Scholarship Committee." I believe that's part of admissions? Hmm, maybe I'll wait until I see the complete aid package. I've been accepted to University of Washington and I am waiting on Drew/UCLA to make a decision. It'll most likely be CDU if I get in. Good luck!

Got offered $20,000 per year for four years (assuming satisfactory progress). It would still cost about $50,000 a year to attend. My other option is more affordable, so I'll be withdrawing. Good luck all! :)

Had you completed step 1 of the financial aid application process or did this offer come before all that? Thanks.

I was accepted in Dec but most likely withdrawing. I loved the school during my visit but can't get past the touro affiliation.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

Had you completed step 1 of the financial aid application process or did this offer come before all that? Thanks.

The only thing I've done for financial aid is turn in the FAFSA. To answer your question, I'm not sure if I've completed any of their steps!

The only thing I've done for financial aid is turn in the FAFSA. To answer your question, I'm not sure if I've completed any of their steps!

Thanks. No I don't think you did complete their step 1, which includes a NYMC fin aid application, copies of tax returns, credit score, MPN, (I think that's it). Congrats on getting that offer and hopefully if you turn it down it will be passed along :D

I was accepted in Dec but most likely withdrawing. I loved the school during my visit but can't get past the touro affiliation.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

May I ask why? All I know is that the selection of Board of Trustee members will now be a charge of Touro rather than the Archdiocese but I don't know how much that will affect the program. Would love to learn your thoughts...

I’m also confused by the above quote. What about the tuoro affiliation can’t you get over? They give the school financial security and the holidays have changed to include Jewish holidays. That’s it. The accreditation of NYMC is unchanged. The school is an MD program and will NOT change to DO. And I have read on here that the deal may not even work out. Can current NYMC students give updated comments on Tuoro-NYMC deal and how it has changed/will change future student experiences and reputation/management of the school? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.