2010-2011 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

woo thanks ksmi,
here we go! Lots of information in the 09/10 thread for those seeking info. I visited USUHS in March and fell in love with the campus, Bethesda area, etc. Looking to move to the DC area this summer for a year before school starts.

Hey everyone,

Quick question... I am seriously considering Uniformed Services but, because of the obvious service commitment, it is taking a little more time for me to decide for sure if I want to include it. If I selected the school on the AMCAS, for sure other schools do not see I applied?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Quick question... I am seriously considering Uniformed Services but, because of the obvious service commitment, it is taking a little more time for me to decide for sure if I want to include it. If I selected the school on the AMCAS, for sure other schools do not see I applied?

Thanks

Now I am curious, too. Do other schools get to see where else you've sent your AMCAS application?

But SevenSummits--why do you not want other schools to see that you've applied here?

From what I've been reading the schools won't see your amcas list until around March/February that's when they can see whether you're accepted or rejected to other schools.

EN

From what I've been reading the schools won't see your amcas list until around March/February that's when they can see whether you're accepted or rejected to other schools.

EN

Correct. They'll never see all the schools you've applied to, just the ones that have accepted you - and I think it's March 15 that they can see that data. I remember thinking it was exactly a month before the May 15 deadline.

just received the supplemental application

just received the supplemental application

me too! Is it just me, or did one form indicate that if you didn't do ROTC that you needed to explain why on a 'continuation sheet?'

interesting. I wonder if they'll accept that I didn't intend on rejoining (prior enlisted) or going to med school until late in the game?

And do you think their 3-week turnaround deadline is set in stone? I have everything in and ready to go except for my clinical letter. Waiting on others is frustrating.

Is it just me, or did one form indicate that if you didn't do ROTC that you needed to explain why on a 'continuation sheet?'

Where does it say that?

EDIT: If you're talking about the "Note: If you did not complete the ROTC program or the Service Academy, please attach the explanation to this form," I interpreted that as meaning "If you were enrolled in an ROTC program or the Service Academy and did not complete the program, please attach an explanation." I could be wrong, but I think my interpretation makes sense because under part 2.d.(1) and 2.d.(2) it says in parentheses under the line "Indicate [which ROTC unit or Service Academy you enrolled in] even if you did not complete the ROTC/Academy." So I think that applies to people who were enrolled in the Service Academy or an ROTC program and then dropped out or transferred.

Last edited:
Three week turn-around....well I better start writing this weekend. From my experience when a military institution issues a no later than date....they usually don't allow for any wiggle room. I would try your best to have it complete before their deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too! Is it just me, or did one form indicate that if you didn't do ROTC that you needed to explain why on a 'continuation sheet?'

I don't remember having this. I think Suncrusher is correct in his interpretation - that it's only for people who started ROTC and didn't complete it. The only thing I remember explaining is why I didn't have a clinical letter (my clinical experience came during/after turning in secondaries).

Is everyone filling the supplemental application by hand? What about the personal statement?

gonna fill in the small parts but ill type and paste physically the personal statement

If you use Acrobat pro, you can type on the actual pdf, but I'm only doing that for the personal statement.
Any guide lines on how many words the PS should be?

If you use Acrobat pro, you can type on the actual pdf, but I'm only doing that for the personal statement.
Any guide lines on how many words the PS should be?

My ps last year was 500 words.

Anyone else find the whole "Need your SAT and ACT Scores" from (for me) 7+ years back a little ridiculous? Figure the MCAT should be more than enough for 'em! Ah gotta love Uncle Sam....

Anyone else find the whole "Need your SAT and ACT Scores" from (for me) 7+ years back a little ridiculous? Figure the MCAT should be more than enough for 'em! Ah gotta love Uncle Sam....

haha yeah i was just gonna post about this. i know my composite but i dont know the date taken or individual scores... ughs

ill try to call collegeboard.

haha yeah i was just gonna post about this. i know my composite but i dont know the date taken or individual scores... ughs

ill try to call collegeboard.

I'm in the same situation, it's been over 10 years since I took the ACT. I called admissions and they told me it wasn't necessary and not to worry about it.

Do you have to have all your prereq courses completed before applying? Or is it ok if you just finish before matriculation?

Three week turn-around....well I better start writing this weekend. From my experience when a military institution issues a no later than date....they usually don't allow for any wiggle room. I would try your best to have it complete before their deadline.

Last year I was granted an extension beyond the three weeks. Interviewed and currently waitlisted. With that being said (and it's been said several times before) just get it finished and turned in!

Where does it say that?

EDIT: If you're talking about the "Note: If you did not complete the ROTC program or the Service Academy, please attach the explanation to this form," I interpreted that as meaning "If you were enrolled in an ROTC program or the Service Academy and did not complete the program, please attach an explanation." I could be wrong, but I think my interpretation makes sense because under part 2.d.(1) and 2.d.(2) it says in parentheses under the line "Indicate [which ROTC unit or Service Academy you enrolled in] even if you did not complete the ROTC/Academy." So I think that applies to people who were enrolled in the Service Academy or an ROTC program and then dropped out or transferred.

I don't remember having this. I think Suncrusher is correct in his interpretation - that it's only for people who started ROTC and didn't complete it. The only thing I remember explaining is why I didn't have a clinical letter (my clinical experience came during/after turning in secondaries).

thanks for the replies. i definitely was reading that one wrong :)

This might be a stupid question, but I never met with a premedical advisor. I did things on my own. Should I just ignore that section on the secondary?

This might be a stupid question, but I never met with a premedical advisor. I did things on my own. Should I just ignore that section on the secondary?

same here dude. i never talked to one, but i just put down a predmed advisor from my school.

same here dude. i never talked to one, but i just put down a predmed advisor from my school.
Then you're both screwed and inelligeble for admission. Sorry. :p

On a serious note, I e-mailed them about it on the exact same reason (my school did not have one) and they said to not worry about it. As long as you got your 3+ LoR's you're good. Just like the SAT/ACT. If you got it cool, if not, its cool too.

Does anybody know if they wait to review applications for interviews until after the LORs are received? Or are they the type of school that doesn't request LORs until an interview has been granted?

Also, anybody know what kind of effects the "Disqualifying Conditions" section has on the initial review process? Unfortunately, I had to mark that I was "Unsure" if I had a condition that would disqualify me because I injured my knee in June and tore some ligaments. It's a non-surgical injury and the ortho doc says my knee should return to pre-injury levels, but based on the description in the secondary instructions, I felt obligated to mark it as I did... makes me a bit nervous, though. Especially considering I'm confident my knee will NOT be an issue later. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

Does anybody know if they wait to review applications for interviews until after the LORs are received? Or are they the type of school that doesn't request LORs until an interview has been granted?

Also, anybody know what kind of effects the "Disqualifying Conditions" section has on the initial review process? Unfortunately, I had to mark that I was "Unsure" if I had a condition that would disqualify me because I injured my knee in June and tore some ligaments. It's a non-surgical injury and the ortho doc says my knee should return to pre-injury levels, but based on the description in the secondary instructions, I felt obligated to mark it as I did... makes me a bit nervous, though. Especially considering I'm confident my knee will NOT be an issue later. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

they want the LORs in order for you to be complete and considered for an invitation to interview

dont know about the knee thing but if you just explain it you should be ok

On a serious note, I e-mailed them about it on the exact same reason (my school did not have one) and they said to not worry about it. As long as you got your 3+ LoR's you're good. Just like the SAT/ACT. If you got it cool, if not, its cool too.
Ok, I'm going to have to retract that a bit. In the checklist they ask that if you do not have a committee letter to write a brief explanation why not and include it with your secondary.

Re: DavisStudent: From my experience with MEPS, they will do a fairly good job of checking that injury site out and making their own assessment, coupled with medical records. If, as you say, it'll be 100% in a few weeks/month and offers no significant long term problem, you should be OK. Bad-come-worst, you can always churn through for a medical waiver (actually surprisingly easy to get, you ought to have it literally same day if needed) for the injury.

"e. Briefly describe the types of active duty or Reserves component assignments you have had and any special military schooling you have completed (use continuation page, if necessary)__"

I get the schooling part, but is this also basically asking what you did in your rate (i.e. which commands you were assigned to and what your job was)?

I'm probably over thinking this again, but I'm anxious to get this puppy mailed out asap!

thanks!

So I got a letter from USUHS saying that my file is deactivated because I have not completed Calculus yet....

Then in the letter it said that if I can complete Calc before June 15th 2010, they can reactivate my file

I thought we didn't have to have all the prereq completed. And then the letter said June of 2010. Do you think that its a typo and they meant to say 2011. Anyone get this letter and then get their file reactivated (after telling them when you plan on taking the class)

Your file was deactivated?! Oh crap, I added Calculas to my AMCAS as a future class to be taken in the Fall. I hope they don't deactivate our files for that. It says on their website that the pre-reqs have to completed before matriculation, or at least I thought so. Why would that deactivate someone file?? Now I'm freaking out, I really want to go there!!

I know...I was freaking out too. I emailed them and said I was planning on taking it next spring, or in the fall if they preferred. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Can someone send me the letter of recommendation form?

Nevermind, called the admissions office and it's the same as last year.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Application packet must be complete before the ADCOM reviews your file. I made the mistake of assuming that my LORs were recieved last year. I called a few months later to find out that they had been waiting on 1 LOR and that my application had been "sitting" there for months. Get your LORs in and call to make sure that your packet is complete!

Hey everyone,

Thanks
First of all, schools do not see the other schools you applied to. In April, however, each school receives a list of students holding more than one acceptance and I believe to which schools that you are holding acceptances.

Second, if schools had said knowledge, how would applying to USUHS reflect poorly on your qualifications as a candidate (commitment to medicine and altruism). On the other hand, by applying to USUHS, wouldn't that show that your motivations for entering the field of medicine are not for many of the wrong reasons (ie money/status).

If you are hesitant because of the service commitment then you should not bother applying. Seven years of service (not including residency) and an additional commitment in the Inactive Ready Reserves (might want to look up how many Dr's have been called out of the IRR to support current conflicts) is quite a commitment. When all is said and done you are looking at 10+ years service (7+residency). And yes, the education is free and you get paid handsomly while in school, but if you think it is a better decision because of the money, you are mistaken. Scholarships through HPSP and USUHS do not outweigh your earning potential if you pay for school through loans, etc.

But you get the privilege of serving in the Armed Forces and providing care to Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen of the United States has its own rewards. Not to mention invaluable experiences your peers are not entitled to.

So I got a letter from USUHS saying that my file is deactivated because I have not completed Calculus yet....

Then in the letter it said that if I can complete Calc before June 15th 2010, they can reactivate my file

I thought we didn't have to have all the prereq completed. And then the letter said June of 2010. Do you think that its a typo and they meant to say 2011. Anyone get this letter and then get their file reactivated (after telling them when you plan on taking the class)

Find out what the deal was with this yet??

I talked to them and they reactivated my file. Thank goodness.

I emailed them about a week ago to see if my letters of recommendation had arrived and that my application was complete and they said yes.

I guess they're just trying to get this class in before they start trying to fill next year's.

Status
Not open for further replies.