**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will have a science G.P.A. 3.3 and overall 3.3 haven't taken the MCAT and volunteer at a free medical clinic where I shadow various pcps (MDs, NPs). I also have a number of other misc. volunteering. I was dismissed from a dental school for a low pre clinic gpa (I couldn't cut the damn teeth to "ideal.") my scigpa from dental school was 3.4. I am aiming to get into any program (preferablly TUCOM-NY,NV, or CA). Please give me some gudance as to how realistic my chances are.

I'll throw my numbers out too, at least on what I am counting on them being so long as nothing outrageous happens.

Science GPA - 3.4, strong upward trend
Cumulative - 3.4
Mcat will be taken in may
Various EC
A D.O. will write for me
I also grew up in a rural area, am a first gen college student, and would prefer to go into family practice if possible.

LECOM erie and OU are a few hours from home (ohio resident) and will be my top choices. I prefer a more rural setting to an urban one, but would be willing to go almost anywhere. Where would be my best bets?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cum. GPA 3.29
S.GPA 3.09

MCAT in May

work exp:
ER 5 yrs
Business owner 5 yr

If i retake a one science class that was a C and get an A the GPA for science will go to 3.19 S.GPA and CUM 3.35. TOP choice school is NOVA.

Cum gpa: 3.29
sci Gpa: 2.86
Sgpa over summer hopefully (retaking physics): 3.14

applying this cycle, taking mcat in april, would really like Tucom-ny or NYCOM, i'm o.o.s for those schools

I guess if this cycles anything like the last cycle, we should be on par with numbers granted we recieve 27's and up.

Hey guys,

So Im Canadian, graduated with a degree in Pharmacology and Physiology.
1st year at college: 2.68cgpa
2nd year at University: 2.88gpa
3rd year at University: 2.44 cgpa (YES horrible, but i switched programs cuz i hated the Biochem program)
4th year at University: 3.3gpa
5th year at University 3.95 cgpa

I think thats accurate off the top of my head. It should end up being cGPA of 3.03 and sGPA of 3.04? I am retaking a first year bio and Org Chem II. If I get an A in both of them which should be possible with my study ethic last 2 years...my cgpa goes up to 3.14

My 4th and 5th year is all heavy duty science courses (Microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, physiology, biology etc).

30Q MCAT

EC: 3 years at a Childrens hospital, 1 year in a Diabetes Lab (300+ hours, yes i know i was grinded into ground), 1 year in another Lab, 3 years in St John Ambulance (first aid), 2 years Ski Patrol, Social Fraternity, Professional pre-med Fraternity as well, sports every single semester atleast 2 teams, 1 year at University hospital, one month in Ecuador shadowing ER doctors and rebuilding an orphanage, various other leadership stuff on campus.....etc

I am hoping that my EC will make up for my gpa. Thoughts??

Should I bother with DO or try SMP??

Thanks guys!!!

Hey guys,

3rd year at University: 2.44 cgpa (YES horrible, but i switched programs cuz i hated the Biochem program)

I think thats accurate off the top of my head. It should end up being cGPA of 3.03 and sGPA of 3.04? I am retaking a first year bio and Org Chem II. If I get an A in both of them which should be possible with my study ethic last 2 years...my cgpa goes up to 3.14

My 4th and 5th year is all heavy duty science courses (Microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, physiology, biology etc).

30Q MCAT

EC: 3 years at a Childrens hospital, 1 year in a Diabetes Lab (300+ hours, yes i know i was grinded into ground), 1 year in another Lab, 3 years in St John Ambulance (first aid), 2 years Ski Patrol, Social Fraternity, Professional pre-med Fraternity as well, sports every single semester atleast 2 teams, 1 year at University hospital, one month in Ecuador shadowing ER doctors and rebuilding an orphanage, various other leadership stuff on campus.....etc

Thanks guys!!!

Apply to both simultaneously.

MCAT: unknown.. will take in May

GPA: Currently retaking some classes so also not sure, but estimating both cGPA and sGPA to be around 3.1
Undergrad major: Philosophy

Graduate school: MPH
graduate GPA: 3.85

~800 hours clinical volunteer

-Supervisor of clinical volunteer program at UCLA for 2 years

Extensive research in public health (secondhand smoking, cervical cancer)
Other research for 2 years, lab assistant

Assistant director of student music group at UCLA for 2 years (perform music solely for underserved patients and communities)

Want to go to any of the established schools.. dont care which, although would prefer Western.

Hey guys,

30Q MCAT

Thanks guys!!!

Your EC's are really good. Yeah rock those retakes and apply early. You have come a long way, so hang in there. SMP would also be good option.

I'd also say to retake the mcat and aim to get higher. You current mcat is really good but with your gpa the higher your mcat the more it'll improve your chances.
good luck

Last edited:
3.8 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
24 MCAT (9P, 8B, 7V)
Caucasian female
I graduate this year and hope to apply next cycle.

Shadowed 3 different doctors over past 2 years (including a surgeon), Involved in many extracurricular and leadership activities, volunteer in a hospital and with sick children on a regular basis. I am from the Rockford area.

Top 5 choices for DO are 1) CCOM, 2) ATSU, 3) DMU, 4) LECOM-Erie, 5) PCOM.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
24 MCAT (9P, 8B, 7V)
Caucasian female

Shadowed 3 different doctors over past 2 years (including a surgeon), Involved in many extracurricular and leadership activities, volunteer in a hospital and with sick children on a regular basis. I am from the Rockford area.

What are my chances?

why not apply this year? If you apply early and broadly, you have a good chance at being accepted somewhere.

If I were you, I would re-take MCAT, because that's the only weakness I see in your application, get that up a few points and you should get into midwestern.

Thanks Jaywalk! Ya I am probably going to apply to UofCin, EVMS, and Georgetown for SMP, although I am not sure if my stats are high enough.

For DO I was thinking DMU, LECOM-E, AT-Kirksville, TOURO-NY, Pacific Western, PCOM, GA-PCOM, PCSOM (although havent read much good about it on SDN), U of New England, and TCOM (texas). I chose these schools well....because they have accepted Canadians in the past lol I dont really have much of a choice.

My Pref is 1)DMU 2) Pacific Western 3) LECOM-E 4) UNE and this is based off of reading on SDN and checking out their websites.

I dont know if my stats are competitive enough for DMU and Pacific Western? On MedApplicants website I saw a few people who got into both schools with lower MCAT than mine (30Q) and only slightly higher GPA

Thoughts? I really appreciate the feedback on SDN and I am very appreciative of it

Your EC's are really good. Yeah rock those retakes and apply early. You have come a long way, so hang in there. SMP would also be good option.

I'd also say to retake the mcat and aim to get higher. You current mcat is really good but with your gpa the higher your mcat the more it'll improve your chances.
good luck

3.8 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
24 MCAT (9P, 8B, 7V)
Caucasian female

What are my chances?

Your chances are really good. agree with with the above poster, retake the mcat and i dont see why you won't have a good chance to get into at least 4 of the 5. And please save yourself a year and apply this cycle

I would love to apply this cycle but I cant because I dont have a DO reference letter yet. In Canada DO's are pretty much unheard of so finding one to shadow is super hard. This summer I found one and I am gonna see if I can shadow him for the summer.

By this cycle you mean the 2010-2011 cycle, as in starting NEXT sept right? Or the one that is still ongoing as we speak?

ps. I mean Western U, not PNWU sorry I got the initials mixed up. Canadians cant apply to PNWU.

Your chances are really good. agree with with the above poster, retake the mcat and i dont see why you won't have a good chance to get into at least 4 of the 5. And please save yourself a year and apply this cycle

whoa, just saw that you are from Calgary! haha I grew up there!

Where are you gonna be applying as a Canadian?

I would love to apply this cycle but I cant because I dont have a DO reference letter yet. In Canada DO's are pretty much unheard of so finding one to shadow is super hard. This summer I found one and I am gonna see if I can shadow him for the summer.

By this cycle you mean the 2010-2011 cycle, as in starting NEXT sept right? Or the one that is still ongoing as we speak?

ps. I mean Western U, not PNWU sorry I got the initials mixed up. Canadians cant apply to PNWU.

I know man. its hard to find DO's here. there is only one in calgary. he seems interested in letting me shadow him for a few days, so i am pumped to say the least :D

Yes i meant the 2010-2011 cycle

whoa, just saw that you are from Calgary! haha I grew up there!

Where are you gonna be applying as a Canadian?

Yep the lovely calgary. I'm going to miss this place when i leave. But staying on topic....there are 19 schools so far where us canadians can apply to. I'm applying to all except MSUCOM, WVSOM. The OOS tuition is way too high for me for those schools, unless i can assure my self of 325000 in loans, which is highly unlikely

Also, look into the tufts and BU smp programs, since you said UNE is one of your top choices, i'd apply to those master's too. I'm applying to tufts for sure. UCin, EVMS are small but really really good smp's but quite competitive as well.

Why's there a whole forum for the MD section but only one WAMC for the DO section?

Why's there a whole forum for the MD section but only one WAMC for the DO section?

I'm guessing its a simple matter of logistics. Pre-allo has however many thousand posters whereas pre-osteo has maybe a couple hundred. My numbers may be way off, but the idea is the same. It's all about traffic.

mcat=29
gpa=3.7

ECs are good but could use some more work with leadership involvement. GPA is good though. Any thoughts?

My MCAT score is pretty low. I got a 24, so I'm really worried about that. My prehealth adviser told me to to retake it and suggested taking a year off and apply. I'm trying to to matriculate to medical school right after I graduate from undergrad (2011). I'm kind of on the fence about retaking though. I'd really rather not if I have a choice....I wouldn't mind never looking at formal physics problems ever again or reading some random VR passage :). To be honest, I got kind of overwhelmed with school and did not have as much time to devote to the MCAT as I had anticipated...very, very little time...:(

Sorry to go on about my MCAT. My other stats are as follows based on AACOMAS.

Non Sci- 3.73
Sci- 3.49
Cum. - 3.61

My ECs are pretty good. There's nothing extraordinary there, like multiple publications in prestigious journals or building hospitals in developing countries, but yeah...pretty good in general.

Everyone I talk with says it's primarily the MCAT which really weakens my app and to really rethink about applying this upcoming cycle, but I'm wondering how much it really weakens it?

Thanks for your time to everyone who read this :D.

My MCAT score is pretty low. I got a 24, so I'm really worried about that. My prehealth adviser told me to to retake it and suggested taking a year off and apply. I'm trying to to matriculate to medical school right after I graduate from undergrad (2011). I'm kind of on the fence about retaking though. I'd really rather not if I have a choice....I wouldn't mind never looking at formal physics problems ever again or reading some random VR passage :). To be honest, I got kind of overwhelmed with school and did not have as much time to devote to the MCAT as I had anticipated...very, very little time...:(

Non Sci- 3.73
Sci- 3.49
Cum. - 3.61

My ECs are pretty good. There's nothing extraordinary there, like multiple publications in prestigious journals or building hospitals in developing countries, but yeah...pretty good in general.

Everyone I talk with says it's primarily the MCAT which really weakens my app and to really rethink about applying this upcoming cycle, but I'm wondering how much it really weakens it?

I would apply early and broadly (+10 schools) and I think you have a chance to land some interviews. A DO letter helps to open some doors, and a really good PS will get you in to more interviews. Good luck and keep us posted

mcat=29
gpa=3.7

ECs are good but could use some more work with leadership involvement. GPA is good though. Any thoughts?

Is that gpa c/s/ns ? Regardless, your MCAT is strong and gpa looks good. I would say you have a really good shot at DO. Moreover, if you apply early and broadly, I think you would land a few MD interviews, as well. Good luck and keep us posted

I have a 3.58 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, and I scored a 35 (11/11/13) on June 09 MCAT. What do you guys think my chances are for DO schools? I would like to stay close to Pacific Northwest, but DMU is my #1, although I feel DMU is a long shot because my GPA is pretty low compared to that school's average. I would like to attend DMU though, do I have a decent chance or would I just be wasting my money? Thanks.

Very strong MCAT - good job! I would be suprised if you didn't receive mulitple acceptances from the very well known DO schools. Also, MD is still a viable option, but that depends on what you want. Your sGPA may get you screened for some MD schools, but I think for DO schools you would be average (in the context of sGPA). Good luck and keep us posted

Non Sci- 3.73
Sci- 3.49
Cum. - 3.61

Hey CMV, when I applied, I had 25 on the MCAT. Yes, I bombed it and I did not want to retake it again. However, I did have a 3.89/3.88 GPA +/-.01 I actually can't remember the exact numbers. I think your okay with a 24, but if you really do get a chance to take it, I highly recommend it. I think my higher than average GPA saved my MCAT score. A 26 or so will put you in a good spot. I had okay ECs, the normal letters, and a DO letter.

I got into 3 schools, PCOM (interviewed in Jan), DMU (interviewed in Dec), and KCUMB(interviewed in Nov) with no waitlists. I also received interviews to AZCOM, LECOM, and KCOM but turned never went because I already had an acceptance to DMU, my number 2 school.

So don't lose hope on that 24, but your chances will greatly increase with a 26 or so.

I have a 3.58 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, and I scored a 35 (11/11/13) on June 09 MCAT. What do you guys think my chances are for DO schools? I would like to stay close to Pacific Northwest, but DMU is my #1, although I feel DMU is a long shot because my GPA is pretty low compared to that school's average. I would like to attend DMU though, do I have a decent chance or would I just be wasting my money? Thanks.

I'm pretty confident you'll get in to DMU. And the school was beautiful btw.

I got a 24, so I'm really worried about that.

To be honest, I got kind of overwhelmed with school and did not have as much time to devote to the MCAT as I had anticipated...very, very little time...:(

Based on your description, it sounds like you took it when you were not prepared. Therefore if you do prepare well, I would think your score should improve.

If you take it in June/Early July 2010, and resubmit your AACOMAS if necessary, you wouldn't be behind in the cycle. An improvement on your MCAT would help a lot. A modest improvement to 27 would make a difference. 30+ would obviously be ideal but I have a feeling you could at least improve on the 24.

Hey guys,

Canadian student here with a 3.5 GPA and a hypothetical 29-31 MCAT (taking it May 22, but so far all signs point to that grade.) Obviously I know most DO schools aren't Canadian friendly, but to those who are am I a competitive international applicant?

My EC's are decent. Strong leadership for 8 years, Ongoing clinical volunteering, shadowed one MD for 20 hours, hoping to shadow another for 20 hours. Maintained a 15-20 hour work week throughout years 1, 2 and 3 of school.

Is there anything I should be looking at doing to improve my chances? Sadly I don't think raising my GPA is an option before it comes time to apply (this semester we were transitioning at work at I didn't focus nearly enough on the first round of midterms).

Hey,

Im in the same boat (being Canadian). Although my gpa is definitely quite a bit lower. Im retaking two pre-reqs this summer (both I got C- in) which is BIO 1 and Org Chem 2. After retaking those, assuming I get an A in both and DO schools i apply to replace the grades...my sGPA goes up to like 3.14 and cGPA i think 3.06? 2nd last year i Had 3.2, and final year 3.95 with all advanced sciences. Hopefully that looks good. I got a 30Q on MCAT. Although I do have quite a bit more EC than you, I dont know if that makes up for my lower GPA.

We can apply to 19 schools that have been known to accept Canadians....13 of which do not have the "C-" rule which means you can apply with a C- in a pre-req.

I have the list if you want it

Also, what school did you go to? I have a feeling certain Canadian schools are less heard of than others, not to hate on some of them

Hey guys,

Canadian student here with a 3.5 GPA and a hypothetical 29-31 MCAT (taking it May 22, but so far all signs point to that grade.) Obviously I know most DO schools aren't Canadian friendly, but to those who are am I a competitive international applicant?

My EC's are decent. Strong leadership for 8 years, Ongoing clinical volunteering, shadowed one MD for 20 hours, hoping to shadow another for 20 hours. Maintained a 15-20 hour work week throughout years 1, 2 and 3 of school.

Is there anything I should be looking at doing to improve my chances? Sadly I don't think raising my GPA is an option before it comes time to apply (this semester we were transitioning at work at I didn't focus nearly enough on the first round of midterms).

Hey guys,

Mind if i ask your sgpa? overall is good. 29-31, two months out is very impressive (acc. to me at least)

Seems like you focus more on work than school. Dont want to come across as harsh but why and i mean why would you put work during your midterms especially during 4th where everyone is trying to keep their gpa trend up. I know you probably have to work but a few days off to study for midterms wont really hurt that much imo. I work too but when it comes to my future work takes a backseat. Please do not do this for your second round of midterms or finals.

good luck from a fellow canadian :)

Thanks for the replys guys.

I go to the University of Alberta so it's not too unknown thank goodness.

drctother - I would love your list if you don't mind PM'ing it to me (I have a list too but I want to make sure I didn't leave any off). And your upward trend should look really good from what I've seen others say. And with extensive EC's I don't think you will have an issue getting in.

My sGPA and my overall GPA are both 3.5, I'm nothing if not consistent lol.

Yah a lot of people tell me I'm crazy for working. I actually started the job in high school in grade 12 as a lackie and had every intention of quitting when starting university. But then I met the owner of the business and the two of us hit it off and I was given a huge amount of responsibility and grew with the company (we grew at 35%/annum even through the recession) so it was just too awesome to pass up. And then over Christmas he decided he wanted to sell the business so I had to do a bunch of work to make sure that all transitioned properly, hence ignoring school for the first month of the semester. So if I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing, I learned so much from it.

I go to the University of Alberta so it's not too unknown thank goodness.

drctother - I would love your list if you don't mind PM'ing it to me (I have a list too but I want to make sure I didn't leave any off). And your upward trend should look really good from what I've seen others say. And with extensive EC's I don't think you will have an issue getting in.

My sGPA and my overall GPA are both 3.5, I'm nothing if not consistent lol.

Yah a lot of people tell me I'm crazy for working. I actually started the job in high school in grade 12 as a lackie and had every intention of quitting when starting university. But then I met the owner of the business and the two of us hit it off and I was given a huge amount of responsibility and grew with the company (we grew at 35%/annum even through the recession) so it was just too awesome to pass up. And then over Christmas he decided he wanted to sell the business so I had to do a bunch of work to make sure that all transitioned properly, hence ignoring school for the first month of the semester. So if I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing, I learned so much from it.

and you still managed to pull off a solid gpa...

Congrats

Cum. GPA 3.29
S.GPA 3.09

MCAT in June

work exp:
ER employee 5 yrs
Business owner 5 yr

If i retake a one science class that was a C and get an A the GPA for science will go to 3.19 S.GPA and CUM 3.35. TOP choice school is NOVA.

my pre req grades are not showing labs

bio 1/2 C C
chem 1/2 CC
Orgo A B-
Phy A A

have had a strong upward trend with upper div bio classes.

Not for sure how to figure out GPA the best I can figure is my sGPA is a 3.3 and my over all for all the college classes I have takeen is a 3.25.

Broken down from first college stint of 120 credit hours with a 3.23 gpa

baccalaureate at 42 hours a 3.46

master degree at 39 hours a 3.61

I have a masters in nursing ( ARNP) and am a CNM ( certified nurse midwife)

EC/Leadership:

multiple mom roles: team mom; coach;
adjunct faculty at state college
preceptorship for PA and ARNP students. I have also had several third year med students shadow me
initation of sign language club at university
mission trip

Work Experience:

I have worked myself up through the ranks. I was in the Navy at age 17. I worked as a nurses aide, RN for 10 years and now a ARNP x 4 years

Shadowing Experience:

minimal. don't exactly know how much is needed with working in the health field. working on scheduling time with anesethia and family doc.

MCAT:

not taking until Aug because I am taking Orgo 1 an 2 over the summer.

Planning on applying to LECOM-B and NOVA

Is there anything I am missing? Or need to focus on other than studing for a really good MCAT score?

Use this site...http://osteopathic.ca/index.htm. Under documents look for the document saying 'american schools accepting canadian applicants'

this is where the list of 19 schools are

Thats actually where i got my list. Sorry I didnt PM it to you, I couldnt find it last night and couldnt find it online. But ya thats the list I used:)

Use this site...http://osteopathic.ca/index.htm. Under documents look for the document saying 'american schools accepting canadian applicants'

this is where the list of 19 schools are

Not for sure how to figure out GPA the best I can figure is my sGPA is a 3.3 and my over all for all the college classes I have takeen is a 3.25.

Broken down from first college stint of 120 credit hours with a 3.23 gpa

baccalaureate at 42 hours a 3.46

master degree at 39 hours a 3.61

I have a masters in nursing ( ARNP) and am a CNM ( certified nurse midwife)

EC/Leadership:

multiple mom roles: team mom; coach;
adjunct faculty at state college
preceptorship for PA and ARNP students. I have also had several third year med students shadow me
initation of sign language club at university
mission trip

Work Experience:

I have worked myself up through the ranks. I was in the Navy at age 17. I worked as a nurses aide, RN for 10 years and now a ARNP x 4 years

Shadowing Experience:

minimal. don't exactly know how much is needed with working in the health field. working on scheduling time with anesethia and family doc.

MCAT:

not taking until Aug because I am taking Orgo 1 an 2 over the summer.

Planning on applying to LECOM-B and NOVA

Is there anything I am missing? Or need to focus on other than studing for a really good MCAT score?
Without an MCAT score, it is hard to comment on your chances. However, if you get a 26+ MCAT, your chances are good. The healthcare experience you have is a plus. The other parts of your application are average.

Aug 2009 MCAT
11 BS
11PS
6VR
writing S

going to retake 3/27/10

top 20 undergrad university
cGPA 3.86
sGPA 3.9

extensive clinical volunteering experience in state and abroad, research at ucsf for 3+ years, recent publication and more coming, teaching/tutoring biology and organic chem for 4 years

applying this upcoming june

chances?

Good stats. Since you're retaking the MCAT, I'd just really focus on getting your VR up. Other than that you have a great shot. Are you applying to MD as well?

Aug 2009 MCAT
11 BS
11PS
6VR
writing S

going to retake 3/27/10

top 20 undergrad university
cGPA 3.86
sGPA 3.9

extensive clinical volunteering experience in state and abroad, research at ucsf for 3+ years, recent publication and more coming, teaching/tutoring biology and organic chem for 4 years

applying this upcoming june

chances?

hey guys,

So im planning on applying to this coming cycle.
-I will have a cGPA anywhere between a 3.4 and 3.45 by the end of this semester and a sGPA of about 3.3.
-I got a 31 Q on my mcats.
-I have 5 LORs, 1 from a science prof, 2 from science TAs, 1 from a religion prof and 1 from an MD.
-I have 75 hours of shadowing MDs and I am gonna start shadowing a DO next week so it should reach >100.
-I also have over 100 hours of volunteering.
-a few clubs here and there too

I guess i just wanna know what my chances look like, a DO LOR is possible but I havent asked the physician yet.

Good stats. Since you're retaking the MCAT, I'd just really focus on getting your VR up. Other than that you have a great shot. Are you applying to MD as well?

yes, i am applying to both, but i am worry that my chances in allopathic med school is rather slim...due to a lower than average mcat score

yes, i am applying to both, but i am worry that my chances in allopathic med school is rather slim...due to a lower than average mcat score

I agree with the other poster, you gotta get that VR score up. It'll be touch and go for a DO school as well with only a 6.

New guy on board, long time reader, new poster.

I was wondering what my chances look like for the upcoming cycle:

Undergrad GPA: 3.47 overall (Good Upward trend)
3.24 Math/Sci

MCAT: 22S (Taken almost 2 years ago with minimal prep; planning on retaking in coming months)

EC: Huge
On-Campus Museum Tour guide (3 yrs)
Pre Med Club (3 years) (2 as an officer)
Undergrad Psych Research (1 year)
Undergrad Cancer Research (1 year)
School newspaper writer (2 years)
Cadaver Prosectioning assistant ( 1 year)
Alumni relations club (2 years)
Omicron Delta Kappa Member (2 years to present)
Ultimate frisbee team member and VP (3 Years)
American Red Cross Volunteer (active 3 years)
Cardio/Pulm. Rehab Volunteer (3 years + Mucho hours)
Peer Mentor (2 years)
Student Ambassador (2 years)
Tutor (2 years)
Church activities/choir (3 years)
Habitat for Humanity (3 years)
"Drunk Bus" Volunteer (3 years)

Many Scholarships and Awards

Good Work History (Many jobs since early teens)

Graduated in 3 years with B.S.

Worked in a Large State School research lab for a summer.

Presently working on my MS in Biology (Physiology)
Grad GPA 3.83

Graduate Teaching Assistant (20+ hrs/week)

Currently Shadowing D.O. -- Good Relationship, Great Letter of Ref.

Have 3 other very good letters (Former Boss & Sci. Prof; Former Paper Editor & Prof; Current Major Advisor)

Working on Studying for MCAT for retake in a couple months; Looking to Apply in May/June '10. Present plan is to apply far and wide to DO schools. Only caveat is that I am only 21yrs old presently.

So, factoring all of this in, what are my chances for getting in?

I know that my Undergrad GPA is slightly low (major family issues 2nd year of school) and my MCAT needs to be bumped by at least 4-5 points.

Aim for an MCAT within 28-31, apply broadly and you should recieve multiple interviews. Your uGPA is slightly under average osteopathic matriculant numbers but your grad GPA should cover for most Adcom's questions. Get a strong MCAT and there should be no issue.

I'm so frusterated, I messed up my first two years of uni and right now my cgpa is 2.9 In the last two years my gpa went from 2.4 to a 3.5 consistant. My mcat is a 24S, but I'm going to write it again this summer. Oh and lets not forget that I'm Canadian. I want to be a DO so bad, but I don't think I will get in. Should I even bother applying?

I have tons of EC's, volunteering at the hospital 4+years, working throughout my uni career, shadowing a MD, many student clubs, working as a TA, and I'm waiting to see if I get accepted into working in a lab this summer

I have letters of recommendation ready 3 from professors, 1 from work, 1 from my volunteer organization and 1 from an MD.

I'm just frustrated at myself, and any help would be much appreciated.

I'm so frusterated, I messed up my first two years of uni and right now my cgpa is 2.9 In the last two years my gpa went from 2.4 to a 3.5 consistant. My mcat is a 24S, but I'm going to write it again this summer. Oh and lets not forget that I'm Canadian. I want to be a DO so bad, but I don't think I will get in. Should I even bother applying?

I have tons of EC's, volunteering at the hospital 4+years, working throughout my uni career, shadowing a MD, many student clubs, working as a TA, and I'm waiting to see if I get accepted into working in a lab this summer

I have letters of recommendation ready 3 from professors, 1 from work, 1 from my volunteer organization and 1 from an MD.

I'm just frustrated at myself, and any help would be much appreciated.

I know Canadian students have a harder time finding DOs to shadow, but I think it would help your app. You are definitely going to want to look at a 30+ MCAT, with your GPA about the only thing you can do (unless you have D/F to retake) is smash the MCAT

Hey guys im just wondering what my chances are at the upcoming 2011 cycle. My stats are as follows:

Bio I/II: D/D retaken for A/A-
Bio Lab I/II: A/A
Chem I/II: C/C going to retake this summer hopefully A/A
Chem Lab: C+
Orgo I/II: C/C
Orgo Lab: currently taking
Physics I/II: B/B+
Physics Lab I/II: A/A

My GPA after this summer will be 3.15 sGPA and 3.17 cGPA. I am planning on taking the MCAT this Aug after my Kaplan course is complete. What score would I need to get into DO school. What are my chances with my current grades.