2010 ABA Pain Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxtrot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, I need some help on what references I should use to knock this exam out. There really are not a whole lot of reputable resources out there. I bought the question book by Abdi and Chopra. I also know there is a website called Painexam.com. Does anyone who recently took the exam know of any other good resources available? I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I also used the Abdi question book. I passed, but didn't feel the book was very relevant to the test. Not aware of any good resources...

I also used the Abdi question book. I passed, but didn't feel the book was very relevant to the test. Not aware of any good resources...

dannemiller course stuff is good

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recertified, but I didn't find the exam covered in any of the books or courses so I can't recommend anything, but Dannemiller is a good course. I passed anyway, might as well have studied CSI

Any similarities between ABA and ASIPP board exams?

Any similarities between ABA and ASIPP board exams?

As a follow up to this. Would anyone recommend ONLY being certified by ASIPP for Pain and by the ABA for anesthesia?

I agree and will be taking the ABA pain exam. Trying to figure out what to study.

Anyone pass the ABA exam by studying ASIPP's board review?

I agree and will be taking the ABA pain exam. Trying to figure out what to study.

Anyone pass the ABA exam by studying ASIPP's board review?

did four years ago, seemed OK

Has anyone tried Pain Med. & Mgmt: Just the Facts?

The Jensen review (Big Yeller) seems a little randomly put together at times, and is very expensive but was recommended to me by someone that passed the exam last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, Big Yeller is fit only for lining the bottom of bird cages. It is disorganized and hideously inaccurate.

However, it is very thought-provoking. While reading it you will be constantly thinking, "I can't believe I paid $500 for this POS".

Go on eBay and find a used copy of Dannemiller. Things don't change very fast so anything in the past few years is ok.

i used Big Yeller/Yellow.... it was sooo full of errors it was astounding.... surprisingly, they covered a lot of topics as a good refresher for the test

when i took the exam i was surprised by the number of questions on fetal/neonatal effects of narcotics/etc... did they think i was going to practice pain in the NICU???

i used Big Yeller/Yellow.... it was sooo full of errors it was astounding.... surprisingly, they covered a lot of topics as a good refresher for the test

when i took the exam i was surprised by the number of questions on fetal/neonatal effects of narcotics/etc... did they think i was going to practice pain in the NICU???

No, they knew you'd be seeing a lot of young fibros who get pregnant while on 80 mg Oxycontin QID.

:eek:

Any one planning to attend dannemiller course course in August. Taking Pain boards in October 2010.

Any one considering ASIPP course ?

The pain board pass rate is exceedingly high (high 90's). Might want to consider that before you shell out $1500 for a review course. Those courses might be best for a practitioner that hasn't studied pain medicine testable material in many years.

Just my first thoughts.

Thanks Christopher, for the information. I agree that they are very expensive and total expense may go beyond 2K. I did not know that Pain pass percentage is so good.

Got an email from DM. it says that after the course, 100's of questions will be available on the interne for practice for board preparariont. Any comments on these questions ? Are they available with out attending the course?

anyone have old dannemiller set they want to get off their hands?
please msg me as im looking..

Anyone heard when the results are going to be out? Dec 23rd was the 2 month mark...apparently the anesthesia critical care results (test same day) were released...hopefully no news is good news....

Anyone heard when the results are going to be out? Dec 23rd was the 2 month mark...apparently the anesthesia critical care results (test same day) were released...hopefully no news is good news....
I called them last week, they said the result will be available sometime during the first half of January

I called them last week, they said the result will be available sometime during the first half of January

Thanks for the update.

As noted in another string, ABA portal access is available and will apparently be the only way to access your results. The diplomate directory will be down until Monday.

On another note...I wanted to post what was my study approach for the aba pain boards. I passed the first time and did not do any board review course and honestly felt like I had to do a second "academic" fellowship (board prep time) as my fellowship was very strong in procedures and clinic time and wanting in the strong academic department.

Although I am in no way endorsing big yeller, I did use this as a last minute review (read through it once)...I actually had audio yeller that I listened to throughout fellowship during my 25 minute commute. As has been noted in other posts it does possess quiet a few inaccuracies, yet it brings up most of the topics that appear in some form on the test. The bulk of my review was spent taking test questions from painexam.com and from the book Pain Medicine by Abdi et al. It took a while, but I got through all the questions and I feel that by doing those (which all had explanations) and reviewing my problem areas in Melzack's handbook of pain management and Raja's essentials of pain medicine that I did all I could do. Fortunately it worked. None of the attendings I worked with during fellowship took or recommended a board review course.

:)

As noted in another string, ABA portal access is available and will apparently be the only way to access your results. The diplomate directory will be down until Monday.

On another note...I wanted to post what was my study approach for the aba pain boards. I passed the first time and did not do any board review course and honestly felt like I had to do a second "academic" fellowship (board prep time) as my fellowship was very strong in procedures and clinic time and wanting in the strong academic department.

Although I am in no way endorsing big yeller, I did use this as a last minute review (read through it once)...I actually had audio yeller that I listened to throughout fellowship during my 25 minute commute. As has been noted in other posts it does possess quiet a few inaccuracies, yet it brings up most of the topics that appear in some form on the test. The bulk of my review was spent taking test questions from painexam.com and from the book Pain Medicine by Abdi et al. It took a while, but I got through all the questions and I feel that by doing those (which all had explanations) and reviewing my problem areas in Melzack's handbook of pain management and Raja's essentials of pain medicine that I did all I could do. Fortunately it worked. None of the attendings I worked with during fellowship took or recommended a board review course.

:)

dannemiller is a great course, tons of CME. lots of good info...none on the test.

Great to finally be done with testing for a decade or so!

I used Dannemiller months prior to the test when I had some free time...agree it is not high yield enough to feel confident on the test itself but great pain education. After that I used the Abdi questions and Painexam.com. Even though nothing is perfect, these resources were pretty darn good and did the job for me.

You got your results then? From ABA? PMR? Neurology? I'm still waiting!

No results for PMR people till mid/end of week. This is BS. What was the 1800 for? Almost 3 months for results!

You got your results then? From ABA? PMR? Neurology? I'm still waiting!
I spent the day on the phone arguing with ABPN to give me my result without success, cause the responsible person is on vacation, so I returned back from work to find the result ( pass) in my mail box. :thumbup:

I just recertified, but I didn't find the exam covered in any of the books or courses so I can't recommend anything, but Dannemiller is a good course. I passed anyway, might as well have studied CSI
I am up for recert this year (it's been 10 years already??!). Did you find the recert exam any different or easier than the exam you remember taking for initial ABA pain board certification?