2010 abim pass percentage!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see the results??? First-takers ABIM exam pass rate was 87% in 2010.

This is the LOWEST score in the last 5 years!!!!

Are they trying to limit who is boarded now?

Total group pass rate (first time/repeaters) for 2010 was only 77%.

Any thoughts....?

Members don't see this ad.

Where you get the numbers from??? IS there a link??

Members don't see this ad :)
well hey it was a hard exam with many more esoteric questions than in years prior. The reactions afterwards from the test-takers sort of foreshadowed this....

holy cow!!!! what happened to the 93-94% success rate?? Im getting nervous now, taking it next year. Didnt take it this year for personnal reasons but now getting anxious!!!

the funny thing is that in the next couple of years they will let nurses do the same thing that we physicians do especially IM and we are getting worried about being board certified!! LOL, the irony!!!

I don't think the pass rate was 94% for all comers before/in past years, was it? I think the 93-94% was for 1st time test takers, right?
The repeaters always have a lower overall pass rate and drag down the average.

If the overall pass rate is indeed lower, it could be for multiple reasons.
1) harder test (probably most likely)
2) weaker med students (academically speaking) going into IM versus previous years
3) if there are more and more foreign grads each year, there may be more with problems reading and comprehending quickly enough to get through the test without missing a lot of questions.

I don't think the pass rate was 94% for all comers before/in past years, was it? I think the 93-94% was for 1st time test takers, right?
The repeaters always have a lower overall pass rate and drag down the average.

If the overall pass rate is indeed lower, it could be for multiple reasons.
1) harder test (probably most likely)
2) weaker med students (academically speaking) going into IM versus previous years
3) if there are more and more foreign grads each year, there may be more with problems reading and comprehending quickly enough to get through the test without missing a lot of questions.

Well it's 87% for first timers as of this year, significantly lower!

As far as I know, competition for med school admission has been stiffer every year since I started med school in 2001 (and it wasn't easy my year either) and the med students come with higher and higher credentials.

Dont know about the foreign grads, could be I guess.

I personally (and a lot of my classmates) felt the test wasn't as easy as the residents in the years ahead of me thought. I also found at least a handful of questions (that I could remember off hand after the exam) that were not covered at all in MKSAP or Medstudy, and had a hard time finding the answer even using sources such as Harrison's and Google. So my personal take on this is the test was harder.

Last edited:
What is the raw score equivalent that you need to score in order to pass? I know what the standardized score is but how much out of the 205 items did you need to get correct to pass? Anyone know? ABIM is tight lipped about it.

What is the raw score equivalent that you need to score in order to pass? I know what the standardized score is but how much out of the 205 items did you need to get correct to pass? Anyone know? ABIM is tight lipped about it.

I dont know, but on my subject breakdown I scored between 67 and 90%, with most being in the 70s-80% (one subject was 90%). My score was 414.

I dont know, but on my subject breakdown I scored between 67 and 90%, with most being in the 70s-80% (one subject was 90%). My score was 414.

Besides passing, what's a good score on the ABIM exam? What's the range? Just curious.