What is your current status (post-interview) at Cornell Weill?

• Accepted, definitely attending

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Accepted, probably attending

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Accepted, probably not attending

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Accepted, withdrawn

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Waitlisted, top choice

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Waitlisted, top 3 choices

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Waitlisted, probably withdrawing

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Waitlisted, withdrew

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Rejected

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thought I would start the inevitable thread. A place to post thoughts, suggestion, tips, and news for those waitlisted at Cornell Weill.

Movement seems to happen in a larger batch around May 15th, and smaller groups in June and July. Good luck all!

OP
mdeast

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone send a letter yet?

Question123

5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Curious MDEast, I'm debating staying on the waitlist (figure no harm), but do you think its worth it given the much higher tuition than Sinai? I am trying to really sit down and consider the financial worth of places...

OP
mdeast

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Curious MDEast, I'm debating staying on the waitlist (figure no harm), but do you think its worth it given the much higher tuition than Sinai? I am trying to really sit down and consider the financial worth of places...
Good question. I'm still interested.

USNews has them both having comparable price tags. I think Cornell does end up being more expensive in the end (especially 2nd-4th year when the housing prices go up). I'm still considering MD-MBA though, and Sinai's program for this is relatively weak. While, Cornell actually has two full scholarships to get your MBA at Cornell (in Ithaca) in 1 year. So, that could end up saving me loads more money.

Just for comparison from US News:

Sinai
Tuition: $35,250
Required fees $4,360
Room and board $16,400

Total: $56,010

Cornell

Tuition: $41,730
Required fees $2,935
Room and board $11,174

Total: $55,839

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Hmm, I don't think you have the right numbers. What goes into "room and board"? My housing is $584 a month (let's say $610 including utilities). That's $7320 for the year. The rest seems about right - required fees includes medical insurance, correct?

OP
mdeast

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hmm, I don't think you have the right numbers. What goes into "room and board"? My housing is $584 a month (let's say $610 including utilities). That's $7320 for the year. The rest seems about right - required fees includes medical insurance, correct?
Not sure. Food and utilities definitely go into room and board. Although, $9,000 more for food seems a bit excessive ;)

I just got these from US News. Point being, financially they're not that much different.

Still excited to visit Sinai btw. Heard anything about second look jbz? :)

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Not sure. Food and utilities definitely go into room and board. Although, $9,000 more for food seems a bit excessive ;)

I just got these from US News. Point being, financially they're not that much different.

Still excited to visit Sinai btw. Heard anything about second look jbz? :)
I don't know, when I compared the price with my friends at Cornell, Sinai ended up being $8-10,000 cheaper per year :)

Our MBA program is weak for sure though. I think it was started this (or last?) year.

I don't know much about second look because I'm not involved in the planning this year. I could find out if there's anything specifically you want to know.

Sorry for hijacking your Cornell thread ;)

OP
mdeast

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know, when I compared the price with my friends at Cornell, Sinai ended up being $8-10,000 cheaper per year :)

Our MBA program is weak for sure though. I think it was started this (or last?) year.

I don't know much about second look because I'm not involved in the planning this year. I could find out if there's anything specifically you want to know.

Sorry for hijacking your Cornell thread ;)
Interesting price difference. I'll reserve my Sinai questions for the Sinai thread :) But, I just hadn't heard anything from Sinai about it for a while and I was thinking about buying some train tickets up to NYC soon (need the 2 weeks window to get them cheaper).

P.S. Thank god for health care reform and being able to go back onto my parent's plan until I'm 26. I at least get a good 2 years of medical school with "free" medical insurance.

Now back to Cornell only....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.