2010 Couples Match Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whats_up_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your experiences , stats and helpful information for those who will be couples matching next year.

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Please post your experiences , stats and helpful information for those who will be couples matching next year.

Thank you! :)

Well, we don't know where yet, but I matched anesthesia and my wife matched radiology. You can PM me for stats/etc if you want.

Same story, don't know where yet but I matched anesthesia and my girlfriend matched IM. Both DOs doing allopathic match. Feel free to PM.

Good luck, it was fun. We were lucky and able to travel to over half of our interviews together.

Couples matched EM and Anesthesia with my wife. While we spent a lot of $$$, we actually had a lot of fun on the interview trail. PM me for stats.

Couples matched - IM for me, OB for my girl. Spent a ton of $$$, but it was worth it. No clue yet whether we end up in the same place, however...

Neurology for me and family medicine for her. Echo the insane $$$ spent on the interview trail. We structured our ROL so that we would be together no matter what, and we matched. We couldn't even imagine spending our first year of marriage apart, so we made sure all of our ROL pairs were in the same city. We were both very competitive in terms of stats, etc. Some of our eventual choices kind of surprised us - we wound up ranking Pittsburgh #1 over some bigger-name Ivy League places, and would have never predicted that going into interview season (Pittsburgh? Really? Who goes there?) Sometimes you just get a good feeling, and luckily we shared that feeling about UPMC. More details to come post-match.

Matched into peds for me and IM for my BF. We ended up ranking 9 spots 8 of which were same program combos and one was same city combo of different programs. We interviewed in the southeast. Compromise on the order was a little difficult but in the end we ranked my #2 and his #3 choice #1.

Update: We got our number #1 at MUSC :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers, please keep them coming! :luck:

Neurology for me and family medicine for her. Echo the insane $$$ spent on the interview trail. We structured our ROL so that we would be together no matter what, and we matched. We couldn't even imagine spending our first year of marriage apart, so we made sure all of our ROL pairs were in the same city. We were both very competitive in terms of stats, etc. Some of our eventual choices kind of surprised us - we wound up ranking Pittsburgh #1 over some bigger-name Ivy League places, and would have never predicted that going into interview season (Pittsburgh? Really? Who goes there?) Sometimes you just get a good feeling, and luckily we shared that feeling about UPMC. More details to come post-match.

UPMC is a fantastic medical school and in some regards considered higher/better than many of the ivy league schools... atleast that is my impression of them for surgery (did not apply to them b/c geography, but have heard great things)...

Couples matched internal medicine and anesthesia. We were able to schedule virtually all of our interviews and travel together which made the process a lot of fun. Yes it was quite expensive. Will update tomorrow.

UPMC is a fantastic medical school and in some regards considered higher/better than many of the ivy league schools... atleast that is my impression of them for surgery (did not apply to them b/c geography, but have heard great things)...

I wonder which ivyleague school would you consider worse than UPMC ?

I wonder which ivyleague school would you consider worse than UPMC ?

Brown and Dartmouth are probably at the same level as (Dartmouth probably a notch below) UPMC - at least for Internal Medicine IMHO.

Please try to stick to the topic. Thank you!

My husband and I couples matched into Psych (him) and IM (me). We are both DO students in the ACGME match.

My fiancee and I couples matched. Im at Harbor-UCLA for gen surg and she's at USC for rads, doing her Transitional Year at Harbor with me! can't be happier!

My fiance and I, both from SGU, matched at our number one choice which is an absolutely amazing program. Myself for Internal Medicine, and her for Pediatrics. We both have very good stats (99's on both steps), but you never know with couples match and being foreign grads. We are super psyched and congrats to everyone else who made it work today!

Good luck to all of you

My fiancee and I couples matched. Im at Harbor-UCLA for gen surg and she's at USC for rads, doing her Transitional Year at Harbor with me! can't be happier!
haha, I know exactly who your fiancee is. I posted on her FB status this afternoon! Ask her about spilling water on someone at a rads pre-interview dinner...she'll know who you're referring to :)

Oh, and big congrats to you both!

Really happy for both of you! Its a long journey, and to live in the same city for all those years will be awesome.

We matched in Neurology and Family Medicine at our top choice!

Last edited:
We matched in Neurology and Family Medicine at UPMC! Go Pittsburgh! We ranked it above Harvard and Yale, as far as ivy leagues go.
Congrats, RS! I'm so glad to hear everything went great for you both. We've come a long way since the Couples Match Support Group thread, huh?

My husband (Wholelottagame7) and I matched at Duke, also our #1. We're very excited :)

Congrats to all the couples out there!

So happy for all you couples!! :D Will be doing the couples match next year. Hope we have similar results! :xf:

haha, I know exactly who your fiancee is. I posted on her FB status this afternoon! Ask her about spilling water on someone at a rads pre-interview dinner...she'll know who you're referring to :)

Oh, and big congrats to you both!

How funny. Asked her about it and she laughed her ass off. Congrats to you guys too!

i applied in pediatrics, my boyfriend in internal medicine. we matched together at yale, which was our #2 rank, and we couldn't be happier!! the whole process was pretty nerve-wracking but it can be done, folks! send me a message if you have questions!

Successful couples match here too. I'm doing Emergency Medicine and she is doing OB/GYN at a place we are both stoked to be at. Great match day!

Congrats, RS! I'm so glad to hear everything went great for you both. We've come a long way since the Couples Match Support Group thread, huh?

My husband (Wholelottagame7) and I matched at Duke, also our #1. We're very excited :)
Congratulations! Duke is awesome! Remind me what specialties you matched in? One of you is radiology, right?

A friend of mine (Anesthesiology) and his fiancee (Radiology) couples matched at Northwestern.

Sorry I can't give any more advice or their "numbers", but I do know that he was AOA and she is a very intelligent woman. Best of luck.

did anyone couple match into the same field, same program?

planning on doing it for 2011

My school had a couple match into the same diagnostic radiology program.

We also had another couple match into OB and orthopedic surgery.

did anyone couple match into the same field, same program?

planning on doing it for 2011
We had a married couple match into the same program for general surgery. Kind of heartbreaking case where one always wanted neurosurg and the other always wanted ortho but they both realized how hard it would be to successfully couples match into those fields and so they decided to just go for gen surg together.

Just browsing this year and found this interesting topic, would've helped to see it one year ago. My wife and I both matched into general surgery at the University of Colorado last year. Couples match is challenging but can be done and even nearing the end of our first year we couldn't be happier with our choice.

haha, a future rads residency-mate of mine couples matched radiology-dermatology. We didn't have it nearly so bad... :)

my old lady and i are trying to do this next year. it's gonna be a dumpster fire.

i applied in pediatrics, my boyfriend in internal medicine. we matched together at yale, which was our #2 rank, and we couldn't be happier!! the whole process was pretty nerve-wracking but it can be done, folks! send me a message if you have questions!

We're headed to Yale as well! See y'all there! :)

BMN - I saw you on match day. :laugh:

My SO and I "couples matched" derm and rads, but we ranked every possible combination of all of our interviews (77). We matched together for TY but will be 5 hours apart for three years during residency. We're pretty sad about it, but one of us may try to transfer. Otherwise we're just hoping for the best and shooting for seeing each other 2x/month.

my husband and i unsuccessfully couples matched in 2007. we both matched prelim medicine, and he matched anesthesia. but i failed to match a derm position. finally got a spot and am continuing on after having a beautiful baby! i can't wait!! it can all work out in the end :thumbup:

Couples did very well at my school this year. We had a couple match anesthesia at same place, rads at same place and one matched path and EM in same city

The posters of this thread should come back in 20 years to let us know how spoiled their children are (double MD income). I KID

What if a couple enters a couple's match, but they match different places? Does this happen? I've heard stories of couples matching different places, and trying to get (nag) the PD to pull some strings to get into the same hospital, and being successful. Anyone ever hear of something like this?

just saw this thread.Any IMG's who were successful in couple match?

Figured I would update everyone after our successful match a few short years ago -> my wife and I are nearing the home stretch in General Surgery Residency and ended up both matching to to fellowships. For those couples in a similar situation: FYI, there is no "couples" match for fellowship. We used the staggered match dates to our advantage: she matched in Critical Care and I only ranked a single program for Minimally Invasive and we had success (otherwise it would've been locum tenems for a year)!
Then we did something even crazier - had a baby during our Chief year. I think that this speaks to choosing the right program and ignoring the top 10 lists/prestige that many people search out: if you don't like the residents when you interview and the faculty in the program then working with them everyday (and night) will make you miserable. Because we fit so nicely into our program our co-residents are more than happy to cover/help out and the faculty have been amazing. I will admit that taking care of said baby after delivery has been a little bit of challenge as we are technically allowed several weeks of maternity/paternity leave by the Federal Governemtn BUT the American Board of Surgery still requires their specific number of days/weeks/rotations be completed in order to graduate. (so if we were to take all of the leave, we would've had to make up extra weeks after everyone else graduated). Fortunately our baby came right on time and without complications allowing us to survive by just using up all of our vacation time in consecutive chunks (4 wks + 4 wks) giving us 8 weeks at home with her.
Finally: for those of you who plan to have babies during residency: DO IT! But please make sure you check into the specific board requirements because staying extra after everyone else graduates is difficult not only on Mom and Dad but also the program and your (potential) future fellowship.