2010 Duke Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thamsenman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for all us on the waitlist. There was a thread last year called Duke Anonymous, which may or may not be useful in this process.

Duke has a class size of 100. Hope I get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. How many people came off the list last year?

10 last year. 30 the year before (I think thats when they had the lacrosse scandal which affected outcomes for some odd reason). Usually its between 10 and 20 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
10 last year. 30 the year before (I think thats when they had the lacrosse scandal which affected outcomes for some odd reason). Usually its between 10 and 20 though.
The lacrosse scandal was 3 years ago. I think two years ago 7 came off the list.

Subscribe to this thread and post updates!! :D

an insider told me they do rank the wait list and they could find out where I sit....which I don't want to know. They didn't explicitly say it was a numbered list or anything, but they didn't say that is wasn't either. :shrug:

an insider told me they do rank the wait list and they could find out where I sit....which I don't want to know. They didn't explicitly say it was a numbered list or anything, but they didn't say that is wasn't either. :shrug:

Weird, because a student who claims to be an interviewer/on admissions committee told they do not strictly rank, but I dunno. Anyone opine?

MrBurns?

Weird, because a student who claims to be an interviewer/on admissions committee told they do not strictly rank, but I dunno. Anyone opine?

MrBurns?

Yeah, I remember that. not sure what to make of it, but someone also said you get a score for every part of your app. so those scores add up to a ranking. someone also said you get a vote count from the committee, which also resembles a score. who knows?

i'm a part of this, but i'm not gonna get in so good luck to the rest of you

Subscribe to this thread and post updates!! :D

Let's be realistic here. Every school ranks its waitlist, whether or not they're willing to fess up. After all, it's not like they draw names out of a hat to determine who's in and who isn't.

Side note: Since we're talking about hats, can I make a motion for the AAMC to create a Harry Potteresque sorting hat to determine where each med school applicant is headed to med school? It would save me a lot of unneeded stress (and greenbacks).

Hufflepuff: WUSTL
Ravenclaw: Hopkins
Slytherin: ?
Gryffindor:

Anyways, enough Harry Potter analogies. Back to my ongoing fight with senioritis and literature reviews!

The lacrosse scandal was 3 years ago. I think two years ago 7 came off the list.

Sorry, my mistake. Also, just so everyone knows, letters of intent and letters of interest will not help your case at all at this point according to the admissions people at Duke.

Sorry, my mistake. Also, just so everyone knows, letters of intent and letters of interest will not help your case at all at this point according to the admissions people at Duke.

are you just saying that cause you sent one?

Members don't see this ad :)
are you just saying that cause you sent one?
No, he's right, I called the admissions also because I wanted my boss to send in his LOR (he wasn't in the original batch). The woman told me that those were useless and also mentioned that a letter of Intent would also be useless if I was thinking of sending that. Then again, she could just be having a bad day ...

MrBurns?
I think it's fair to say the waitlist is ranked (in that every school's waitlist is ranked in some way). Whether or not your rank can be affected by things such as letters of intent, however, I'm not sure. The way I looked at it is that while a LOI may not help, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd rather send in a LOI and not get in than not send one, not get in, and constantly wonder "what if I have sent one?" But that's just me!

I think it's fair to say the waitlist is ranked (in that every school's waitlist is ranked in some way). Whether or not your rank can be affected by things such as letters of intent, however, I'm not sure. The way I looked at it is that while a LOI may not help, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd rather send in a LOI and not get in than not send one, not get in, and constantly wonder "what if I have sent one?" But that's just me!

Very true MrBurns. I just had heard the same as the other student when I called to check to make sure that they had received mine. However, I don't think she was saying it just because she had a bad day, as she was extremely nice and cordial to me before and after I asked her. All I know is that its tough not being able to affect your status, and just having your future sitting up the air out of your control.

Anyone have an idea of how many people are on the waitlist? If its in the hundreds and there's only 10 people who move off of it typically, then the odds are pretty low.

driftkitty, we seem to both be on the same waitlists...

I've heard that Duke's waitlist is unranked in some sort of way - they try to preserve the diversity they established within the accepted bunch... so essentially, if someone withdraws their acceptance, admissions will pull a waitlister with similar qualifications to take their place. I'm not exactly sure though...just something I've heard through the grapevine

The lacrosse scandal was the year that we got in. Which was 4 years ago (05-06 cycle).

Does Duke send any confirmations for LOIs/Update letters that they receive from waitlistees?

Dean Wallace will confirm your update has been received and added to your file. Not sure about LOIs though.

I got no response from either Dean who I send my LOI to. That's what I was referring to.

Dean Wallace will confirm your update has been received and added to your file. Not sure about LOIs though.

Actually, I sent a post-interview update and he didn't reply. I called the office to confirm that it did get there, though.

Weird. Maybe its because I sent it prior decision (as I said, it was an update, not a letter of intent), and he responded "thanks for the update, I will make sure it is added to your file). Nothing warm and fuzzy, but at least confirmation.

That said, I really do tihnk the secretary was sincere when she said LOIs will not make a difference, but then again, I guess they couldn't hurt? It makes me wonder though...

Actually, I sent a post-interview update and he didn't reply. I called the office to confirm that it did get there, though.

Weird. Maybe its because I sent it prior decision (as I said, it was an update, not a letter of intent), and he responded "thanks for the update, I will make sure it is added to your file). Nothing warm and fuzzy, but at least confirmation.

That said, I really do tihnk the secretary was sincere when she said LOIs will not make a difference, but then again, I guess they couldn't hurt? It makes me wonder though...

I sent mine in the exact same situation. Post-interview prior decision, and it was an update, not an LOI. Maybe he was just tired. =P

Oops...guess I posted on the wrong thread before! Thanks for making this one :) Hi everyone, also on the waitlist....and I was wondering what to do about LOI, as I keep receiving such varied advice. Thanks for your insights - I truly value them!

Oops...guess I posted on the wrong thread before! Thanks for making this one :) Hi everyone, also on the waitlist....and I was wondering what to do about LOI, as I keep receiving such varied advice. Thanks for your insights - I truly value them!

I think the general consensus is that they are not all that helpful. Seems like your chances are more determined by how many ppl withdraw and PERHAPS, if you have similar qualities to them. The people at Duke don't even seem to strongly support sending anything is. Some even discourage it. I think the best course of action is just to :xf:

Good luck :luck:

Hopefully some people will start getting accepted off the waitlist this week? :xf:

Just got an email from Richard Wallace with an offer for a seat in the class! Never thought I would get off this wait list! We get two weeks to decide. Good luck to those still waiting! :)

Just got an email from Richard Wallace with an offer for a seat in the class! Never thought I would get off this wait list! We get two weeks to decide. Good luck to those still waiting! :)
wow congrats! Had you sent a LOI to admissions or anything like that? just curious

Hmmm how much waitlist movement are we expecting guys? And do you think most of the offers will go out this week?

Congratulations gobble! Looks like waitlist movement has begun!

madskillz99, I am also wondering about WL movement... hoping there is much more to come!

wow congrats! Had you sent a LOI to admissions or anything like that? just curious

I didn't send any additional info after I got waitlisted. Judging from info from these forums and directly from other applicants, it seemed like Duke almost frowns upon this extraneous info. But who really knows?

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!

I didn't send any additional info after I got waitlisted. Judging from info from these forums and directly from other applicants, it seemed like Duke almost frowns upon this extraneous info. But who really knows?

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!
Gobble, are you going?

Wow they must not have had very many withdraws this year if thats all the SDNers who got off the waitlist. Maybe college basketball success played a factor?

Wow they must not have had very many withdraws this year if thats all the SDNers who got off the waitlist. Maybe college basketball success played a factor?

A little hasty to imply WL movement has ended. Let's give it some more time (even if it is in vain). :xf::luck::xf:

Has anyone else received word yet? Please post if you do! Thanks :)

anyone want to be brave and call the admissions office to see if they'll tell us anything? it'd be nice to know if the class was full so we could just move on.

anyone want to be brave and call the admissions office to see if they'll tell us anything? it'd be nice to know if the class was full so we could just move on.
That'd be nice if someone brave can do that (anyone? :D) and let us know what the admissions office says.

Status
Not open for further replies.