alm69

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
Status
Hello everyone. I recently graduated from D-school 2010. I applied to GPR programs but did not match to any of the ones that interested me. Since July, I have been working in a rural town at a primarily medicaid practice. My boss has been very helpful and mentors me, but I find that some things he is having me do may not be in the best interest of the patients, i.e. no crown lengthening when crown margin almost on bone, alginate/stock tray as final impression for dentures, old instruments/equipment. I find myself constantly anxious about work and dread going in the morning. I have recently begun therapy sessions and Rx. so we'll see how that works as far as my anxiety goes.

I am being paid as an independent contractor at 30% production with no benefits and have found that I am barely making enough to pay my loans, insurances, etc. (I am also living at home). A big reason for this is that I average 2 cancellations/no shows per day and also the low fees of the medicaid insurances that we accept. Some days I produce $2500 and most others others $400-1000. In 4 months, I am averaging roughly $325 per day and it has not been getting much better.

I have been keeping an eye out for other associateships, preferably ones with employee status and benefits, with little luck in the region that I'm currently in.

I'm considering re-applying to a few of the GPRs in my area that I originally did not apply to. I feel like my current situation is not the type of dentistry that I want to be doing for the rest of my career. I would like to be able to provide my patients more options as far as treatment (implants, molar RCT, wisdom exts) rather than exts+RPDs/dentures.

My boss has recently added an operatory for me and wants me to eventually buy his practice, although no purchase price was determined prior to me working (I Know I know). This kind of puts me in an awkward situation as far as giving notice as I've read a lot of the time the owner may just let you go the same day and most GPR do not start until July. I suppose if I were to be fired I could work locum tenens or at a corp. until then.

I just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do and to get a gameplan for how to approach my situation.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Some days I produce $2500 and most others others $400-1000. In 4 months, I am averaging roughly $325 per day and it has not been getting much better.
Terrible. I'm surprised you've lasted that long.

1) You don't want to buy into this practice. How much is the owner producing?

2) Medicaid can be an issue, but you can still make it work if the practice is run the proper way. You cannot make ANY practice work if there are no patients on the schedule.

3) The owner is gouging you twice, because while you are getting 30% you are also paying your own payroll taxes (and he is saving money by not doing so!).

Make plans to move on. It sounds like you have already made up your mind that is what you need to do. The environment you are in is not good for you financially OR emotionally.

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
We don't go through 4 years of dental school and all those loans to get paid **** by Medicaid. There is no way I will ever take that crap. And Obama wants more people covered by Medicaid. Good luck finding a doctor that takes it.

You need 40% productions. He needs to pay your insurance, medical, etc.. Not as a corp. Thats a joke. You do not want to ever buy that practice. As I said we do not go through 4 years to be a Medicaid dentist. All you will do is extractions and dentures. You can only make money if your quick at extractions and do lots of them with high turnover daily. Otherwise one tooth here and there and your dead broke.

Get out my friend. Interview now.

Jan 30, 2010
Arizona
Status
Dentist
I'm considering re-applying to a few of the GPRs in my area that I originally did not apply to.

.....most GPR do not start until July. I suppose if I were to be fired I could work locum tenens or at a corp. until then.

I just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do and to get a gameplan for how to approach my situation.
Honestly, GPRs vary widely and they are expensive investments. If you want to make more money and you can't find a job, you're going to still have that problem the day you graduate from your GPR. A GPR isn't a ticket to an awesome associateship, its a learning experience that pays off slowly over your career. Just move on from this job.

yojimbo53

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Indiana
Status
Dentist
For this reason alone, you should GET OUT of there NOW. You worked too hard in dental school to have to subject yourself to this kind of crap. Who cares if the owner added an operatory for you. You have to stop caring about him and care about yourself first. When he decides it time to negotiate the buy-out, your medications are going to double and you'll end up in a mental institution. It's not worth it. I have worked with a very good locum tenen agent in the past. Send me a PM if you want to get in touch with him.

I have recently begun therapy sessions and Rx.