2010 MSW Programs Applied/Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DestinyMSW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

This is a Thread for all of us to share our journey to the MSW program of our choice. Where have you applied? Have you been accepted? Are you waiting still? Denied? Share your experience! We're ALL in this together!

Best Wishes:xf:
Destiny MSW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've applied to UIC's MSW program. I'm waiting. :luck::xf::scared: LoL! I'll keep you all updated!

Best Wishes:xf:
DestinyMSW

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to NYU and Columbia. Still waiting...

I've applied all over, but I'm really hoping to get into UCLA, UC Berkeley, or Pitt... :xf:

Just got into NYU's accelerated program at my school, I start taking classes for my MSW this coming semester. Pretty psyched!

I applied in December to several MSW programs in the NYC area. I am still waiting to hear back from all schools. I would love to know when everyone is expecting to hear back from their programs. Thanks and good luck!

Acceptance to NYU MSW program via e-mail :D

Last edited:
New to this forum, so forgive me if I'm gauche. Got accepted into an accredited MSW program for Fall 2010, but am very nervous about the amount this degree is going to cost me vs. income potential! Am an "older" student (42!) with no experience in the field, presently working as a library assistant in a high school. Wondering if there's any comments/support? Has anyone heard of Newman University (based out of Kansas w/ an outreach here in Colorado Springs, CO)? Thanks!

Congratulations to all of you posting your status!!!!

I am still waiting.....and waiting......and waiting........

Let's hope in this case, no news in good news.:xf::oops::luck: And I will keep you all posted!

Best Wishes,
DestinyMSW

Got into MSW at DU w/ a Merit Scholarship... really wanted to get into their Psy.D but seems like it isn't in the cards :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to the MSW program for Fall 2010 at UCBerkeley, UCLA, and USC :) I think I'm going to UCLA

I have applied to several CSU MSW programs for fall 2010, and have yet to hear back from any of them. They say the applications are still under review.Has anyone herd back from a California State University????

The CSU MSW programs are notoriously slow to let applicants know about their status. The year I applied I don't think I got decisions from any until at least April, well after hearing from the UCs and USC.

Sorry, late reply for this thread.

Applied for early deadline and accepted via email end of December for University of Pittsburgh, MSW, Direct Practice Concentration

I have been accepted to the MSW program for Fall 2010 at UCBerkeley, UCLA, and USC :) I think I'm going to UCLA

Can you share which concentration you applied for at Berkeley? Also, how were you notified? Thanks!

I have been accepted to the MSW program for Fall 2010 at Columbia.

Received Acceptance to Smith today via snail mail. Going to try to visit on Friday before my deadline to accept their acceptance two weeks from today.

Accepted to Rutgers and NYU. Waiting on Fordham and Hunter.
Likely will end up going to Rutgers - great program - and can actually afford it!

Could anyone who has been accepted or rejected from Columbia's social work program post their stats? Just trying to assess where I stand.
Thank you and Good luck!

I was notified by mail that I was accepted into the MSW program at UCLA :)

Just heard last week by snail mail that I was accepted to UCLA´s and CSUEB´s MSW programs. I´m still waiting to hear from Berkeley, CSULB and SDSU.
My stats are: 1260 GRE
2.7 GPA
3 years direct experience, including 2 in the Peace Corps
Spanish Fluency

Last edited:
Hey guys - I need some advice as I am have a hard time making a decision. I have been accepted thus far to Rutgers University, NYU, and Fordham and am waiting to hear on Hunter. With the money I have saved - and a little help - I can afford to go to Rutgers full time and not work - or work very little - and barely have to take loans. The thought of that is totally liberating. I love the school overall as a community - and being NJ based I get a big tuition kick back and I dont have to go to the city every day.
Being accepted to NYU was an incredible feeling - being such a prestegious school - but taking a loan to cover that massive tuition bill seems overwhelming and irresponsible.
Fordham is a dream - but also very expensive.
Hunter - still waiting to hear back.

My big question is this - does it REALLY matter where you go to school. Seems that all the curriculums (with the exception of NYU's clinical track) - are quite similar. All prepare you for testing / certification post graduation. All seem to have similar agency relationships. Do employers post grad REALLY care where I went - or do they care more about my agency experience through my placement, good recommendations, and ethics.
I want to save the money - but I also do not want to shut any doors in my face.

Help!

I haven't heard yet. Anybody get in to CSU Long Beach, CSU LA or CSU DH?

Hey Douggie,
The school you attend isn't extremely important as long as it is accredited and some what reputable. I am finishing my first year at Hunter College where I am a clinical major. Hunter is by far the cheapest school you will find and is highly respected. I have heard that the school really doesn't matter, although I believe that if an employer had two resumes and one was Phoenix U (no offense to anybody who attended) and one was Hunter or Columbia, I think it will have some pull, although personal experience and referances plays a large role as well. NYU does look nice however in the field people will look at Hunter, Fordham, NYU, and Columbia pretty much on the same scale. NYU looks nice to the outsider because they generally have a more prestigious name than most programs at Hunter. However, when you come into the realm of social work schools Hunter College has a rather prestigious name (and the price is unbeatable). Hunter will be the last one to get back to you but it would be worth your time to invest in their program.
P.S. I am not being biased because I attend their school. I am by no means a spokes person and have no problem relaying the issues I have faced while in their program. I am simply educating based on the extensive research I did not to long ago when I was applying to MSW programs.

Hey Amosko,
I find your response to be extremely helpful since I'm in the same dilemma at the moment. I've been accepted to the 2-yr program at NYU with a $15,000 scholarship as well as Hunter. As fortunate enough as I feel for being accepted into both of the two schools I applied to, I'm conflicted as to where to attend. As you said, NYU is definitely prestigious in terms of its name and given that I'm not a U.S. citizen, the name will go a long way back home as compared to Hunter. Nevertheless, the difference in tuition amounts to $5,000 and ultimately my question is whether the NYU name is really worth it?
I'm attending Hunter for undergrad and yes, the administrative issues are big downer at the school. Whereas, at NYU registration is smooth and comparatively hassle-free. I wanted to know how the Hunter program is in terms of teacher-student relationships, the education, diversity in field placements and job oppurtunities for graduates. I could ask the reps at the specific schools these questions, but then again, they are trying to sell their school and are obviously biased.

I would appreciate your response as well as any advice from others on this forum. Thanks!
P.S. I'm mainly interested in clinical s.w. Perhaps counseling and (PhD in Psych?)

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately Hunter is the only school I did NOT get accepted to. I turned down NYU and am waiting on a finacial package from Fordham - but I will liekly end up going to Rutgers - I cant actually afford it.

Accepted to Columbia, NYU, and Fordham. I received an email from Hunter telling me to come in for an interview. However, I already made the decision that I will be attending Columbia SSW.

Hey Everyone, what was you GPA, GRE scores, Interships? I am interested in projecting my chances for acceptance?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, wish I would have found this site months ago!

I was accepted into NYU Silver with a $9000 scholarship.
I was rejected from Hunter.
Still awaiting replies from Fordham, Yeshiva, and Adelphi.

My Problem:
I am not sure which school to pick, even though I haven't heard back from the rest, but I am leaning toward just going to NYU since it gave me $. Even with the scholarship, the other schools will still be cheaper. But I am out of time. NYU needs to have my deposit by the 30th of May!!

Do I wait another few days in hopes that I hear back from at least Fordham (which I am also very interested in) or just send my deposit off to NYU and seal my fate?

Which school is better, best? Does Fordham give scholarships too? I didn't ask for a scholarship to NYU, it was just, to my surprise, given to me, Does Fordham do this too?

HELP!!

Hi everyone,

My Problem:
I am not sure which school to pick, even though I haven't heard back from the rest, but I am leaning toward just going to NYU since it gave me $. Even with the scholarship, the other schools will still be cheaper. But I am out of time. NYU needs to have my deposit by the 30th of May!!

Do I wait another few days in hopes that I hear back from at least Fordham (which I am also very interested in) or just send my deposit off to NYU and seal my fate?

Which school is better, best? Does Fordham give scholarships too? I didn't ask for a scholarship to NYU, it was just, to my surprise, given to me, Does Fordham do this too?

HELP!!

My first choice is Fordham and I am waiting to hear back so i hope that you go to NYU:)

On the serious side, when i was at Fordham's Information session they said that they only give need-based aid. NYU, as you found, does academic scholarships.

I would call them and just inquire about your status. At the information session we were told that the director of admissions has been known to say things on the phone like "we are preparing your package and you will be very happy" so you may get a general idea. The money will still be a question you have to answer for yourself.

Hi All,
I am a 43 year old back to school gal! I have over 20 years of experience in social service, case management, alcohol/drug, gang intervention.. etc. done it all.. My goal is to get my LCSW and go into Mental Health. I would like to open a private practice and become a psychotherapist. I know that I will have to put in my hours post MSW and pass the California exams. I was accepted to CSULA, CSULB, and USC. CSU is only $10,000 and I have full scholarship for books and tuition. USC is $82,000 plus books, I don't qualify for work study and I do not have any scholarships. It will be loans. USC is one of the top Social Work Schools in the nation. CSU is top 5 in California but in the 60th ranking nationwide. My last job was that of a Case Management/Analyst Supervisor for a Federal Funded Program. I put in 11 years there directly with department of labor and employment development department. I know for a fact that where the degree did not matter as much as having the degree : ) I however now wondering if I do want to get supervision hours and want to have my own practice if where you go to school makes a big difference. So, my question is does the school make a difference equal to $82,000 plus dollars in the big scheme of it all? CSU LA,LB and USC are all approved programs with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. PLEASE HELP ME! I need to make a decision ASPA. I thought I was done and had made my decision. I thought it was going to be easy! NO DEBT and a FREE MSW is much better than $82,000 plus loans... but now I keep reading so much about the all mighty and prestigious USC. I don't want to make a mistake.. at my age I just can't afford it... : & what do you all think???? THANK YOU!

USC is a great school.Price tag is a little high but if you really want to be a trojan go for it. No one ever said I hated going to USC!

CSU long beach is one of the best msw programs in Los Angeles. It is harder to get into Csu long beach than USC or UCLA. It is strong in all aspects clinical and research.

Cal state los angeles is the worse of the lot.

Just my opinion.

Hi All,
I am a 43 year old back to school gal! I have over 20 years of experience in social service, case management, alcohol/drug, gang intervention.. etc. done it all.. My goal is to get my LCSW and go into Mental Health. I would like to open a private practice and become a psychotherapist. I know that I will have to put in my hours post MSW and pass the California exams. I was accepted to CSULA, CSULB, and USC. CSU is only $10,000 and I have full scholarship for books and tuition. USC is $82,000 plus books, I don't qualify for work study and I do not have any scholarships. It will be loans. USC is one of the top Social Work Schools in the nation. CSU is top 5 in California but in the 60th ranking nationwide. My last job was that of a Case Management/Analyst Supervisor for a Federal Funded Program. I put in 11 years there directly with department of labor and employment development department. I know for a fact that where the degree did not matter as much as having the degree : ) I however now wondering if I do want to get supervision hours and want to have my own practice if where you go to school makes a big difference. So, my question is does the school make a difference equal to $82,000 plus dollars in the big scheme of it all? CSU LA,LB and USC are all approved programs with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. PLEASE HELP ME! I need to make a decision ASPA. I thought I was done and had made my decision. I thought it was going to be easy! NO DEBT and a FREE MSW is much better than $82,000 plus loans... but now I keep reading so much about the all mighty and prestigious USC. I don't want to make a mistake.. at my age I just can't afford it... : & what do you all think???? THANK YOU!

The name is not all that important and $82,000+ for a master’s degree is obscene IMO.

Good to hear you are going Esanford!
I am lined up to go but am experiencing last minute loan jitters!
How are you coping with this??

Hi everyone,

My Problem:

HELP!!

Just got into Fordham. Good thing since it is the only school to which i applied!

Good to hear you are going Esanford!
I am lined up to go but am experiencing last minute loan jitters!
How are you coping with this??

glad to hear you're going and i hope all the financials work out. i wrote you a private message, please respond when you get a chance.

i am new here but congrats and all the best to all of you!

Hi All,

I started this thread, yet I completely forgot to come back and update you all on my status. Nevertheless, I am so happy to see that people are benefiting from my initial post and I wish everyone the best!

Truth be told I've known for quite some time now that........I SO GOT IN!:D Now the real work begins. Fall is approaching and it's time to be a student again. I can't wait to buy my book-bag, lol.

Best Wishes:luck:
DestinyMSW

Hi All,

I started this thread, yet I completely forgot to come back and update you all on my status. Nevertheless, I am so happy to see that people are benefiting from my initial post and I wish everyone the best!

Truth be told I've known for quite some time now that........I SO GOT IN!:D Now the real work begins. Fall is approaching and it's time to be a student again. I can't wait to buy my book-bag, lol.

Best Wishes:luck:
DestinyMSW

Congrats! :) Good luck! :luck:

I am about to apply for Speech Pathology and write my GRE soon, however I am also now considering the field of Social Work, and applying to several Master's programs in New York State or New Jersey. I was just wondering some of the statistics were of those who were successful in applying. I have an Honors degree in Political Science, about a 3.2 GPA, much higher if you exclude first year. I expect my GRE to be somewhere around 1000 combined. I have been a full-time nanny for two years since graduating and I have completed tonnes of volunteer work with Speech Path's, and Big Sisters. Do you feel like this would make me a competitive applicant?
I would love any feedback, or ideas of what else I could do to strengthen my application!!!! Congrats to those who were accepted.

1) Are the California schools generally easy to get accepted to?

2) They (California schools) don't rank very high in the country (besides UCB & UCLA I think). Is this a reflection on the program? I know they have different standards for ranking, but the criteria is pretty general.

3) If a school doesn't require the GRE, can you still send it to the school in order to strengthen your application?

Does anyone know if SDSU does interviews, or do they just accept people based on the application? Also, when might I expect to hear back from them? I turned in my application Nov 2 (they say they have rolling admissions).

Thanks!

I am about to apply for Speech Pathology and write my GRE soon, however I am also now considering the field of Social Work, and applying to several Master's programs in New York State or New Jersey. I was just wondering some of the statistics were of those who were successful in applying. I have an Honors degree in Political Science, about a 3.2 GPA, much higher if you exclude first year. I expect my GRE to be somewhere around 1000 combined. I have been a full-time nanny for two years since graduating and I have completed tonnes of volunteer work with Speech Path's, and Big Sisters. Do you feel like this would make me a competitive applicant?
I would love any feedback, or ideas of what else I could do to strengthen my application!!!! Congrats to those who were accepted.

I think that speech pathologists are in greater demand and have more earning potential than MSWs.

1) Are the California schools generally easy to get accepted to?

2) They (California schools) don't rank very high in the country (besides UCB & UCLA I think). Is this a reflection on the program? I know they have different standards for ranking, but the criteria is pretty general.

3) If a school doesn't require the GRE, can you still send it to the school in order to strengthen your application?

1. One of my MSW classmates couldn't assemble an intelligible paragraph. A steadfast subgroup on my research methods classmates still didn't understand the difference between dependent and independent variables after three weeks of classes. Not everyone was this bad, but it didn't leave me with the impression that the school was only accepting people with 4.0 GPAs either...

2. If you're talking specifically about MSW programs (as opposed to overall institutional reputation), USC is highly ranked as well, I think higher than UCLA. I don't think CSU Long Beach is nationally recognized or anything, but the alums I've talked to have had good experiences, and I think of all the SoCal schools, it probably best embodies the social justice mission of social work, if that is of interest to you (as opposed to going strictly for the clinical training).

3. Depends on the school, but it's probably better just to put together a strong application. Extras might be more of a pain for the admissions folks than anything else.