2010 Official Rad Onc Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaughtyGirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The anesthesiology forum has a great thread to help out current applicants to share things about each program. I thought this would be a great idea to share knowledge to help each other to rank programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=695084

Please feel free to list programs and ask for help to rank those programs. People tend to have different priorities based on family, research, education, feel etc.

Let's all be benevolent and help each other make the best informed rank list based on one's own personal preference.

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, naughtygirl...I will go ahead and start...

I am torn between U Chicago (great city!) and U Mich! Any thoughts?

Any thought about University of Washington?

How about U Maryland and U Florida?

I'd say that Michigan edges out Chicago based on relative program strengths. I spoke with Ted Lawrence at ASTRO and I have to say that I would follow that man to the gates of Hell. However, if you really like Chicago (esp. if you get along well with Weichselbaum/Hellman) then rank it #1.

Don't know too much about U-dub, do they still use their own application? What a pain!

I'd say Maryland = Florida overall which many would consider blasphemous as Florida has a pretty strong rep but recent applicants might agree with me. Also the drive to the proton center in Jax is substantial. I know research at Maryland is definitely up and coming, they had a pretty sweet research-based junior faculty offer this year.

Hope others chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on Michigan vs. Wisconsin. I know both are thought of as strong programs, in similar types of cities. Program size is also fairly similar. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of ranking one higher than the other?

Great idea, naughtygirl...I will go ahead and start...

Any thought about University of Washington?

How about U Maryland and U Florida?

I was also wondering if anybody had thoughts about the University of Washington. All of the reviews on this forum (FWIW) paint a picture of residents that work very long hours, not very happy, poor didactics, etc. Does anybody know about the program first-hand (or are friends with any of the residents)?

Does anybody have any thoughts/information on:

Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center
Mayo-Jacksonville
University of Louisville
University of Miami
University of Minnesota

I have a really good feel for all of the other programs that I interviewed at, but these ones were a little fuzzy. Thanks for any advice or insight.

I would encourage all users on this thread to peruse the "Interview Impressions" and "Rad Onc Rankings" threads if you haven't done so already. Both are stickied to the top of this forum.

Any thoughts on Michigan vs. Wisconsin. I know both are thought of as strong programs, in similar types of cities. Program size is also fairly similar. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of ranking one higher than the other?

If you are into CNS then Wisconsin > Michigan. However, I feel in terms of research opportunities for residents Michigan > Wisconsin. Also, I'm not sure if Michigan still has a mandatory intern year at U Mich IM. If so, it is something to consider if you would otherwise do a Transitional Internship.

Does anybody have any thoughts/information on:

University of Minnesota

I interviewed at U Minn a few years ago, look for my post in the Interview Impressions thread. Overall it was a pretty solid place. The Chief of Physics was one of the nicest interviewers I met on the trail.

Agree w/ GFunk that CNS is stronger at Wisconsin. Brachy is stronger as well. I think we (UW) probably had comparable quality in lung, GU, GYN and h&n, weaker in breast after several departures in all disciplines. I do know that the workload for residents at Michigan is significantly greater than what we saw in Madison. There are quality mentors at both places. Oh, and they're both cold.

You can't go wrong with either of these programs. I'd say it all comes down to best fit for you.

Here is one users' questions I was asked to post anonymously:

I understand that due to personal circumstances, everyone must be different: but I wonder how would you guys compare the generally overrated programs (UF in Florida, UWMC in Seattle, nice cities, etc...blah blah blah) compared to the so-called underrated programs (Colorado, UTSW, etc)? Is it the fame, the reputation? Pedigree (UTSW, e.g., as a young program? UF is an older program?) Job connection to the area locally? Research opportunities? I am an MD candidate, not a MD/PhD (Not crazy about labs) ;p

"How important is it to choose places that are NCI-designated Comprenhensive Cancer Centers? For example, UChicago, UCLA, Mayo are not NCCN sites, but all good programs...what does one gain by being trained at an NCCN-recognized site?"

My answers to these questions are:

1. If any program is considered "overrated" it logically must mean that at some point people thought it was a prestigious place to be. Generally this is a variable combination of strength of faculty, research opportunities during residency, and program leadership. If an applicant goes to a prestigious program and feels that it did not satisfy his/her expectations then it is labeled "overrated," which is obviously highly subjective. Seriously, it sounds like you are private practice bound (like ~80% of us) so don't overthink this. Go to wherever you percieve you will be happiest due to a combination of location, residents, faculty, and program structure. Everything else will work itself out.

2. At the caliber of university you are talking about NCCN status is not very meaningful to you particularly as a Radiation Oncology trainee.

I am having a dilemma as to which program to rank first: UTSA, Cleveland Clinic, or Emory. I think UTSA clearly has a worse reputation, but I like it because of geographic reasons and no preliminary year requirement. I am interested in going into academics after residency.

Is going to UTSA going to hurt my chances of going into academics enough that I should rank Cleveland Clinic or Emory higher? Also, do any of you have insight onto which program provides more solid training and potential for entry into academics, CC or Emory?

Thanks so much!

"preparing you for academics" is a very nebulous term.

Does this mean allow you to have 9-12 months of research time to pump out some papers? Does this mean allowing you to get into resident education early? Does it mean having time to put together a grant? Does it mean getting strong evidence-based didactics? Or does it just mean "making it most easy to get an academic job" after graduating?

My institution was ranked by the Red Journal as a place where residents put out very high quantity of research (per resident), have won the basic science award at ASTRO, etc., etc. We have the protected time, resources, mentorship, clinical volume, and labs to do it. Yet, every single one of us (6 in total, from the beginning of our "new" residency) has chosen private practice.

And what does academic job mean? Does that mean you want to work in a lab 80% of the time, or become a clinical professor at a place like Mayo Clinic or UPMC, where you essentially function as a private practice doctor (and get paid like one), but produce some research and do some teaching?

So figure that out.

Perhaps look at how many current faculty have graduated from that very same program. I think that gives you decent idea of how inclined residents are to choose academics (not that the residency necessarily "prepared" them for academics).

-S