2010 PHAP (Public Health Apprentice Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beezaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the 2010 CDC Public Health Apprentice Program and was curious if anyone else applied? Anyone hear back from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied as well and did not hear anything back. Hopefully we will hear something very soon :). Best wishes!

You would think we would hear something by now because they are supposed to start interviews next week so I'm a little discouraged.

Compared to the EID application this one was a breeze so I would think you would have to have a kick butt cover letter to go with your resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed them and they said they received an overwhelming amount of applications but in the next two weeks we will find out the status of our applications! Thanks :)

Wow, thanks, good information to know. Bad that they received so many apps, makes the competition that much more fierce. Thanks!

Just received my email today notifying me that I have been selected for telephone interview. To be scheduled at another time. WOOP!

Has anyone heard or asked about new locations for the program? I noticed the website said they'll be placing 50 people, but I'd really like to know where I could possibly be placed before paying for a flight for the second interview. I am hoping for somewhere out West..

They haven't released locations. If it's anything like the EID fellowship you won't know possible locations until you are selected for the second interview.

Again, if it's like the EID I've heard they interview well over 100 people for 30 spots.

Do you guys think they'll take a long time getting back to us for the rest of the application process? I'm sort of in a time crunch. If this program works out, I was planning on finishing my degree right now but if not, I was going to spend some more time working on another undergrad degree. If they keep getting back to us late, I might have to graduate earlier than I'd like to and I don't want to be left with no job and no school next year. What do you guys think they'll do?

How's everybody doing?

I've got an interview scheduled for this week. Any idea what to expect or how to prepare?

How many people do you think they're interviewing in the first round?

Good luck!

I got an email saying that I've been selected for a phone interview, but they still haven't called to schedule... Has everyone else already scheduled theirs?

Got any idea what's going on? I was told I had an interview scheduled today and got no call...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email saying that I've been selected for a phone interview, but they still haven't called to schedule... Has everyone else already scheduled theirs?

I was told that they would call last week to schedule but they didn't call me until this week to schedule.

@ Sonya - I was called on time for my interview. What time was yours for? They might have got held up interviewing the person before you. Make sure you know whether it's PST or east coast time. Also, they said that we would find out about 2nd interviews by mid-May - is that any assurance for the time sched you are looking for? I understand your situation about school - I was in the same boat last year. Try talking to your academic counselor/advisor and see if you can work something out (i know my program required us to file for a graduation application 4 months or so before we intended on graduating).

My interview was supposed to be at 3:30 EST, so 12:30 my time. But the woman who emailed me mentioned 2 different days, I think it was a mistake on her part. She scheduled me for 4/21 and asked me to confirm I'm available for 4/22. I emailed her twice to get a confirmation on the date but got no reply. So I guess I'm just waiting for both days. Today is 4/22 though and I still haven't received a call...

And we find out about second interviews in mid may?! That worries me. I had to apply for graduation last week, and I have to give them my final word on whether or not I will delay graduation by June 8th. Do you think we'll know of final decisions by then?

And we find out about second interviews in mid may?! That worries me. I had to apply for graduation last week, and I have to give them my final word on whether or not I will delay graduation by June 8th. Do you think we'll know of final decisions by then?

I hope you got your call yesterday!! I think final decisions won't come til after June 8th. However, if you're an exceptional candidate, i'm sure that you could call them and ask the first week of June what your chances are.

Best of luck!

I was told that 1200 applied, 300 were selected for phone interviews, and 100 will be selected for in-person interviews. 50 will be selected. How were everyone's interviews? Sonya10, did you ever get a call back?

Hi again. Were you able to find out those stats during your interview? My interview went well . . . Keepin the faith!

Does anyone know when we have to mail in transcripts/LORs?

I found out during my interview. I believe they don't require either of them until a formal job offer is given to a candidate. At least that's what I gleaned from the website.

I got a call! Apparently they overbooked themselves and missed my interview...2 days in a row. I asked about final decisions and I was told second interviews probably wouldn't even be until mid June.

I don't know how that looks for me, if it gets too late it might just open up a spot for someone else. Good luck everyone!

Thanks Jerri! That information is really helpful.
Hi there Sonya, I sent you a private msg but it's my first so i hope it worked!

I got a rejection email! Did anyone get accepted? Good luck to you all!

I'm still waiting to hear back. No rejection email yet, but no acceptance email either. You'd think they'd all come at the same time. Definitely provoking quite a bit of anxiety for me.

They sent out a mass email to those who made it to the second round of interviews last Friday. The didn't bother to bcc so you can see everyone's email they sent it out to! 146 people made it to the second round. I am happy I made it to the second round, but I thought they would have narrowed it down a bit more!

Last edited:
They sent out a mass email to those who made it to the second round of interviews last Friday. The didn't bother to bcc so you can see everyone's email they sent it out to! 146 people made it to the second round. I am happy I made it to the second round, but I thought they would have narrowed it down a bit more!

congrats!! :) I'm glad they were quicker to get back to us than we thought they would be. Good luck ;)

I am wondering what type of questions they would ask in the face-to-face interview?

I still haven't heard back either way, which I'm guessing is not a good thing. I did get the previous emails from them, so that shouldn't be a problem. Should I contact them?

I still haven't heard back either way, which I'm guessing is not a good thing. I did get the previous emails from them, so that shouldn't be a problem. Should I contact them?

I would, especially if others said they have gotten rejection emails already.

I was finally contacted yesterday about my secondary interview, and will be interviewing on Saturday.
Did anyone else notice the secondary interview e-mail wasn't bcc, and that the list wasn't alphabetical? I'm curious if the order might be rankings.
Any word on potential placement sites. They say we must be willing to relocate anywhere, but I'd really prefer some places over others.

I didn't make it to the second interview, but I'd love to hear an update on how they went and what is next for those that made it through. Any word on locations?