* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email from AACOMAS saying that I didn't sent all my transcripts for "transfer coursework". I was a UCLA student for 4 years and took summer school at UCI for 2 summers...do I need to get transcripts from UCI also? I thought just turning in UCLA's was good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

bump...im in this situation and the question was never answered

i'd been an exec of a student organization in my third year. for some reason, i totally forgot to add it in my aacomas. i'd also not been in contact with its president, or vp, for a while, who cud verify the position i held.. co-incidentally i just came into contact with them.. can i add it into my aacomas now?? after it's been verified and released to the schools...??:oops:
aacomas does mention it sends updated version to the schools periodically..

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from AACOMAS saying that I didn't sent all my transcripts for "transfer coursework". I was a UCLA student for 4 years and took summer school at UCI for 2 summers...do I need to get transcripts from UCI also? I thought just turning in UCLA's was good enough?

No, you need to submit all transcripts from all colleges you've ever taken a class at. Including UCI.

i'd been an exec of a student organization in my third year. for some reason, i totally forgot to add it in my aacomas. i'd also not been in contact with its president, or vp, for a while, who cud verify the position i held.. co-incidentally i just came into contact with them.. can i add it into my aacomas now?? after it's been verified and released to the schools...??:oops:
aacomas does mention it sends updated version to the schools periodically..

Every Tuesday AACOMAS submits a new application on your behalf to the schools.. Add it to your AACOMAS.

Hi, I've already submitted my AACOMAS app but I just decided I want to re-take a class...is there any way I can edit my planned coursework? There doesnt seem to be an option to...

bump

Can you edit anything in the application while you are waiting to be verified? (after you have submitted/paid of course)

Yea, I know I did. The only thing you can't change is your coursework.

What section does Research publications go under? EC?

I have a few AP Courses from high school which my colleges has given me credit for (they show up on my transcript as transferred credit). They show up on my transcript as from 2007-2008 (I took those courses from Sept. 2007-June 2008). I started attending college in Fall 2008 (8/2008). Which semester would I put them in? I would make a Fall 2007 term, but the application only allows me to use 2008 as the earliest date (as I started going to my college in fall 2008).

thanks!

Edit: I just realized that theres a topic dedicated to AACOMAS...........whoops

Last edited:
I have been so busy filling out secondaries for MD schools, I can't remember when i submitted my AACOMAS :D. I checked my email but I can't find any confirmation email for when I submitted. Were we supposed to get one when we submitted or am I just dumb?

I have been so busy filling out secondaries for MD schools, I can't remember when i submitted my AACOMAS :D. I checked my email but I can't find any confirmation email for when I submitted. Were we supposed to get one when we submitted or am I just dumb?

I had the same experience. I can't find a confirmation email, but it says that it is processing when I log in. I ended up looking at my credit card statement to find out when I submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same experience. I can't find a confirmation email, but it says that it is processing when I log in. I ended up looking at my credit card statement to find out when I submitted.

Okay, good to know im not alone. Although I kind of feel AMCAS is outdated, I feel like it is less confusing than aacomas

Okay, good to know im not alone. Although I kind of feel AMCAS is outdated, I feel like it is less confusing than aacomas

AMCAS is a pain in my ass. I can't open the application on my new mac. I've got to dig my 6 year old dell laptop out of the drawer to update anything.

AMCAS is a pain in my ass. I can't open the application on my new mac. I've got to dig my 6 year old dell laptop out of the drawer to update anything.

Yes you can! I have a mac. Just download firefox.

Yes you can! I have a mac. Just download firefox.

Hmm... I'm using firefox 6.0 and AMCAS says it's an unsupported browser, and I need to use version 3.6 or some ancient version of netscape (hahaha... right) or IE.

Hi,
I have a few AP Courses from high school which my colleges has given me credit for (they show up on my transcript as transferred credit). They show up on my transcript as from 2007-2008 (I took those courses from Sept. 2007-June 2008). I started attending college in Fall 2008 (8/2008). Which semester would I put them in? I would make a Fall 2007 term, but the application only allows me to use 2008 as the earliest date (as I started going to my college in fall 2008).

one more question - should I make my academic status follow the credit guidelines given in the instructions (Freshman = 0-32 credits completed, etc), or should I make my academic status follow my years (Freshman = first year, etc)

thanks!

Hmm... I'm using firefox 6.0 and AMCAS says it's an unsupported browser, and I need to use version 3.6 or some ancient version of netscape (hahaha... right) or IE.

Hahaha wooooow. I just realized I'm using version 2.0

I need to make sure a course will be counted as a repeat.

I took a class that I want to repeat (non science) called Intro to Computing. I didn't show up to class, do my job, the works. I ended up with a C. This was basically an easy version (yeah..I let THAT one go :laugh: I was a dumb freshman) of our intro programming class for engineers...

Since then, my university has changed their class numbering system, and as I see it, all engineers "intro" classes are now Intro to Programming, rather than just Intro to Computing.

I am retaking a class via CC (only option, working full time) and it is listed as Intro to Computing as well...same content...programming for the majority of the class, but a good chunk of it is basic stuff and more "discussion" about computers versus the "intro to programming" classes my university now requires (after I had already fulfilled that requirement) which are 100% programming...

Do you think this would fly? Both classes are titled "Intro to Computing" and had the same content....how does AACOMAS handle classes that have been changed around like that? Sorry if this was confusing, I'd be happy to clear anything up.

As long as the course descriptions are relatively similar, should be no problem. Only thing to watch out for is the Semester Hours for both classes. The new class (repeat) has to have equal to or greater Semester Hours than the class that you got a C in.

From some of the post I have read it makes it seem like AACOMAS is pretty liberal when it comes to grade replacement but that has not been my experience. I have had to fight for so many classes to be replaced because of community college vs a regular university even though they were exactly the same class. some of these classes are from so long and are killing my GPA. I have been able to get some changed but still hoping on others. Anybody been very successful at getting these changes?

Where do u see ur sGPA and cGPA??? I was verified last Friday the 26th...I rally want to know my calculated GPA :rolleyes:

Where do u see ur sGPA and cGPA??? I was verified last Friday the 26th...I rally want to know my calculated GPA :rolleyes:

Apps are released on Tuesdays, but you won't see a release date for a few days. Once the release date is visible, click on "view" to see the pdf that was sent to the schools, which will include your verified GPA.

I did my freshman year of college in CA and then transferred to a school in NY. Most of my credits got transferred but the gpa doesn't transfer. I started at the school in NY from scratch bascially. Do I still need to submit my CA school transcript, despite the fact that all the transfer credits are listed on my NY schools' transcript?

This is my first question on this forum!

First off, their customer service sucks. The lady who answered the phone had a horrible attitude. But, I managed to get an answer from her. So, on the "application summary" page the only scores that are listed are the ones you manually put in. However, as long as all your MCAT scores are listed as received on the application status page, the schools will still see it.

Hope this helps!

I just got this message on my AACOMAS account concerning recruitment events around the los Angeles area at various college campuses. Anyone get a similar message?

Opened it, read it, deleted it. Not everyone lives in CA.

I did my freshman year of college in CA and then transferred to a school in NY. Most of my credits got transferred but the gpa doesn't transfer. I started at the school in NY from scratch bascially. Do I still need to submit my CA school transcript, despite the fact that all the transfer credits are listed on my NY schools' transcript?

You've got credit hours, you've got grades, therefore you have a GPA!

Use a GPA calculator to figure out where you stand. This is a simple science GPA calculator (mathematics/computer science aren't calculated as science in AACOMAS)

Remember all coursework counts in the GPA. Send in ALL your transcripts, including your CA one. Good luck!

Short answer: yes.

Is this thing even worth going to as an applicant. Seems more of a pre-applicant event.

im gonna go since im not far from CSU Fullerton...it seems like it might be more of a premed event but since its sooner rather then later itll probably help me get more info on some of the schools pre-interview...it said something about one on one time with admissions staff...so i can only wonder

When i applied thru aacomas and the transcripts from my university went to aacomas, i was registered for organic chemistry 2 for this fall semester. I did not indicate myself that its my planned coursework or anything but since my trancript had the course in it, it was sent.
Now I am planning on dropping it. I actually have to drop it today.
Would it cause any problems?
I mean the schools thinking Im taking it n then Im not?
I still have winter semester to complete any coursework required before matriculation (if i get accepted).

Pleaseeeee let me know asap!!
i hope i can drop it because theres nooo way i wud be able to take it this semester. i dont need to like call each school n let them know i dropped it rite? its just one course :s

When i applied thru aacomas and the transcripts from my university went to aacomas, i was registered for organic chemistry 2 for this fall semester. I did not indicate myself that its my planned coursework or anything but since my trancript had the course in it, it was sent.
I still have winter semester to complete any coursework required before matriculation (if i get accepted).

i hope i can drop it because theres nooo way i wud be able to take it this semester. i dont need to like call each school n let them know i dropped it rite? its just one course :s

Has your primary already been sent? If so look at one of the .pdf files that was sent to the universities to see if it shows on your listed verified coursework... That being said, most if not all schools require two semesters of Organic Chemistry... so I hope you are planning on taking it some time between now and matriculation if you do get accepted.

If there's no way that you can take it, then do what you gotta do. I'm sure it will be fine. I don't see why your school sends transcripts with planned coursework? Mine only sent classes that I actually received a grade for....

If there's no way that you can take it, then do what you gotta do. I'm sure it will be fine. I don't see why your school sends transcripts with planned coursework? Mine only sent classes that I actually received a grade for....

On your transcript it should list your current semester and say that it is IP (in progress)

On your transcript it should list your current semester and say that it is IP (in progress)

Gotcha. Double check the .pdf like ^^ said above to see if it's even listed. I'd just drop the class anyway. I listed some Planned Enrollment courses in my AACOMAS but things didn't work out so I'm not taking those classes this semester either. **** happens. They'll understand

Not that I know if applies to your school or not, but I'd check to make sure they offer Organic Chemistry during the winter session. Most schools don't offer many classes during the winter because it's too short to cover the entire curriculum. My school did not offer ANY science classes in winter. So I'd just double check before dropping organic chemistry.

you're good. just be sure to take orgo2 some time before matriculating next fall 2012.

Do I send all my LORs through my school and Interfolio to the school FIRST and then send out my AACOMAS? Or send my AACOMAS out first?

No. From the AACOMAS Instruction Manual (p.19)
GPA & Credit Hour Computations After Processing
AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules: GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All Coursework. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Is it crazy that my osteopathic gpa would be worse for my allopathic gpa because allopathic doesn't count engineering for science, but osteopathic counts it as non-science. The only C I ever got in college was a Civil Engineering Economics Class. Go figure! I guess allopathic is better for me...

AACOMAS and Lab classes:

hey, i've been verified for a while, but I thought I'd ask this now:

the AACOMAS, unlike the AMCAS, does not ask you to signify which courses are lab courses.

my transcript lists some of my courses that were lab courses as lab courses, but some aren't, and the combined lecture/labs are not listed as such. will this be a problem at all? i have the required number of credit hours in each subject, so it's fairly clear that I have done my science prereqs, but is this something that I would discuss with individual schools if it comes up?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Took my first MCAT and bombed it got the results yesterday. :thumbup: Make a long story short I'm about done with the application processes for AACOMAS ( Need to send in transcript verification).

Should I submit my application and with the with the option of taking the mcats in Jan 2012 and have the schools review my application with out the mcats shown or will the schools be given the grades of my mcats automatically once I pay and have the application processed?

GPA is decent and all that other good stuff.

you are going to have to let us know your MCAT score and subsection scores. When you say bombed, we have no idea if you are talking <10J or SDN style of <30Q.

Low as in 15O.

I honestly thought scanning old textbooks was studying, but at 28 and living on your own in NYC trying to work 60 hours a week, is not ideal for time spent on studying, but no real excuse other than that, just simply drastically underestimated and felt rather cocky due to my strong science background.
( anyone living at home STAY HOME AND TAKE ADVANTAGE and study!! )

Suprisingly, I'm not the least bit discouraged. Actually, going to get less hours at work just ordered the MCAT books and going breaking down the mcat practice from till Jan.

At this point anything is better than a 15. With some real study time, actual practicing ( never took any practice exams either, just had a general idea of what the mcat looked like ) I should in theory be able to get 16-17 point higher.

Last edited:
that is tough. submitting in Jan is way late, but your MCAT is low enough to possibly get instant rejections which you don't want. I would get everything set up like you have, but wait to submit until you have taken the Jan MCAT. if you felt good about it you could submit. you don't want to become a reapplicant if you don't have to.