* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that is tough. submitting in Jan is way late, but your MCAT is low enough to possibly get instant rejections which you don't want. I would get everything set up like you have, but wait to submit until you have taken the Jan MCAT. if you felt good about it you could submit. you don't want to become a reapplicant if you don't have to.

So they will receive my MCAT automatically?

Great, kind of what I suspected. I'm just going to spice up my apps and letters anyhow so this will give me time.

So when results come out on say Feb, and I submit on AACOMAS. They applications are held until my schools of interest are accepting applications again, or do they still see the application and then request the secondaries of interested?

Members don't see this ad.

that is tough. submitting in Jan is way late, but your MCAT is low enough to possibly get instant rejections which you don't want. I would get everything set up like you have, but wait to submit until you have taken the Jan MCAT. if you felt good about it you could submit. you don't want to become a reapplicant if you don't have to.

I agree. Best thing for you might be to wait for next cycle so you are competing for the max. number of open seats. However, you have absolutely no shot until you raise your MCAT so that should be all you think about until then. If in January you are consistently scoring 28+ on practice tests, I would think about applying this cycle. Even then, consider you are competing for fewer available seats.

I know it sucks to hear this, but I would wait until the next application cycle. Even with a stellar GPA, a good MCAT score, and and phenomenal ECs, submitting in february is very, very late. It is possible to get in, but...if you're supporting yourself in NYC, chances are, you don't have a lot of money to burn on applying.

I would just spend the next few months studying like mad, get a 27 on your MCAT, and apply in May. That's just my advice. Good luck on your MCAT retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input, highly appreciated. Patience is a virtue in my case. I just recieved the set book from kaplan for mcats, flash cards, and the mcat practice test.

I'm devising a study schedule from what I will study, at what time and the duration.
Looking at the material, I honestly know the majority of it, the issue is the 0 ammount of time spent practicing for the test. I just sunk in :idea: that the mcat needs to be taken the way they want and not what you think the test should be. practice practice practice here we go!

Okay, how long does it take AACOMAS to process?

I submitted all my stuff three weeks ago.

Okay, how long does it take AACOMAS to process?

I submitted all my stuff three weeks ago.

My understanding is that it is currently taking 6+ weeks to get verified at this point in the cycle.

Just so you know, if you apply earlier, it takes less time. I applied near the end of June and was verified within 3 weeks.

Should our personal statement look like a gigantic block of text? There are no indentions for new paragraphs....

Also:

I believe this has been mentioned....

But you can just add ALL your hospital volunteer experience under Hospital volunteer in the description correct? (Put different hospitals you volunteered in the descriptions instead of making a whole new one)

Last edited:
Should our personal statement look like a gigantic block of text? There are no indentions for new paragraphs....

Also:

I believe this has been mentioned....

But you can just add ALL your hospital volunteer experience under Hospital volunteer in the description correct? (Put different hospitals you volunteered in the descriptions instead of making a whole new one)

not sure about the hospital question (i think it should be fine though, as long as you can fit the description for all the hospitals in the description box)

about personal statement, just leave a blank line in between each paragraphs.. you can indent - just press space 5 times.. but most people (i think :$) just add a blank space between the paragraphs to differentiate them.

not sure about the hospital question (i think it should be fine though, as long as you can fit the description for all the hospitals in the description box)

about personal statement, just leave a blank line in between each paragraphs.. you can indent - just press space 5 times.. but most people (i think :$) just add a blank space between the paragraphs to differentiate them.

Thanks! Sounds good.

My PS came it at 4499 characters after days of painful editing. 5 spaces preceding each new paragraph sounds like a waste. I even single-spaced after each period. Just hit enter!

My PS came it at 4499 characters after days of painful editing. 5 spaces preceding each new paragraph sounds like a waste. I even single-spaced after each period. Just hit enter!

Cuttin' it close danny! Mine was around 4490, haha. I agree with the advice though, just use "enter".

while we are on the topic of indentation, i have a question: are we technically required to indent each paragraph in formal essays? for some reason, I always thought indentation was optional, and many times just left some space b/w paragraphs, even for university essays/research proposals.. for the secondaries (specially those like touro, which we need to print on separate sheets and submit), would it be wrong not to indent every new para? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified Monday morning. Any idea when I might see a secondary?

Hey,
When you modify your AACOMAS application AFTER it's been verified and then hit the "submit" button, will your application have to be verified again?

No. The only thing that they verify is your grades/classes. Everything else can be changed on the fly. You could delete your Personal Statement, and the next time it goes out to the schools (every Tuesday), you might get some concerned AdComms.

So schools get updates every week? Do you know if they'll look at the update?
Why "concerned adcom"?

yes they get updates every week. I'm not sure if they will look at the difference between two submissions (all I know is that the new one will say "REVISED" at the top).

'Concerned Adcomm' was making a joke about the Personal Statement being deleted.

I was just looking over my personal statement...just reviewing it for the interviews.. and....i have an ERROR *slaps forehead* AN ERROR! like, a REPEATED WORD! "that is that is" .. CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS!

now, here's my question: when AACOMAS sends an updated version of our primary every week to the schools we have applied to, does it (aacomas) specify any specific sections that have neem updated/editted ?? or does it just send a copy every week, regardless of whether the applicant updates it or not.. ??

the reason I ask this is, I already have 4 interviews scheduled..though I am still waiting for a few more..now, I am not sure if I should go into my personal statement, and correct this error, or let it be...i guess what I mean to really ask is, would correcting this error make it more prominent..

second question: CAN we change our personal statements after they have been received by the school, and are in fact in the "review" process..i personally don't think it would be wise to make any changes at this point.. just wanted to know your views on this (both these questions)???

yes they get updates every week. I'm not sure if they will look at the difference between two submissions (all I know is that the new one will say "REVISED" at the top).

hmm.. this answers part of my question.. so they will know it has been revised.. now I just need to decide if I want my application to say revised, or not...

hmm.. this answers part of my question.. so they will know it has been revised.. now I just need to decide if I want my application to say revised, or not...

I am laughing at the scenario where 7 adcom members are tearing their hair out, frantically shuffling through your paperwork. "WHAT ON EARTH WAS REVISED?!?"

How long does it take AACOMAS to verify and send my application to the schools?

Hi guys
I read that some people have put their publications under the EC section. I have 1 paper submitted and 2 manuscripts currently in prep which I am almost finished writing. Do you guys think I could include that? or it's only published papers only.

Also about about poster presentations at international conferences?

Thanks!

My AACOMAS is verified but not yet released to schools. Is it okay to make changes now and re-submit the app before its released tomorrow?

My AACOMAS is verified but not yet released to schools. Is it okay to make changes now and re-submit the app before its released tomorrow?

'Concerned Adcomm' was making a joke about the Personal Statement being deleted.

Right there.

Hey, for you guys that have already submitted, how long did it take after you submitted to go from "processing" to "verification." I submitted 8/31 but my app is still in the processing stage.. hasn't gone to verification. The aacomas instructions say that processing is just the computer basically sorting all your info electronically, so I don't see why processing would take so long. Should I call them and find out if there's a problem, or is it just that time of year when it's taking longer? Thanks.

EDIT: by the way, I don't know if it matters, but all my transcripts have been there since before I submitted, and my MCAT is there too.

Hey, for you guys that have already submitted, how long did it take after you submitted to go from "processing" to "verification." I submitted 8/31 but my app is still in the processing stage.. hasn't gone to verification. The aacomas instructions say that processing is just the computer basically sorting all your info electronically, so I don't see why processing would take so long. Should I call them and find out if there's a problem, or is it just that time of year when it's taking longer? Thanks.

EDIT: by the way, I don't know if it matters, but all my transcripts have been there since before I submitted, and my MCAT is there too.

There is no "Verification" status.. it's either Processing (which means they are verifying...), Verified (which means it's done verifying), and Released (which means schools have received it). Once you're verified though, you will start to receive secondaries. AACOMAS is slow at moving from the Verified -> Released status.

Typically looking at a 4-6 week wait in the "Processing" stage.

Whew, thanks, I've got nothing to worry about then since it's only been a few weeks :). Just your typical waiting-game anxiety...

If lab grades are separate from the lecture grades, would the lab grade also be included in the sGPA? For example, my chem lab was a 1 credit hr which was given a grade and my lecture was a 3 credit hr class. Would both of it be included in the sGPA or just the lecture?

There is no "Verification" status.. it's either Processing (which means they are verifying...), Verified (which means it's done verifying), and Released (which means schools have received it). Once you're verified though, you will start to receive secondaries. AACOMAS is slow at moving from the Verified -> Released status.

Typically looking at a 4-6 week wait in the "Processing" stage.

I have a quick question. MCAT is 26Q (V:6 P:10 B:10) and cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.91. I am ESL student and a permanent resident from Arizona seven years ago. I want to ask anyone who has any DO school lists that will NOT screen me out based on my verbal score. I applied AZCOM, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, already. I am thinking of adding a couple of more that will NOT cut me off. Let me know if you know any school, please!!

I have a quick question. MCAT is 26Q (V:6 P:10 B:10) and cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.91. I am ESL student and a permanent resident from Arizona seven years ago. I want to ask anyone who has any DO school lists that will NOT screen me out based on my verbal score. I applied AZCOM, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, already. I am thinking of adding a couple of more that will NOT cut me off. Let me know if you know any school, please!!

Here ya go: The 2012 College Information Book put out by AACOMAS for questions just like this! Download the PDF and check it out. Also, get on the phone and do some legwork.

I was verified last weekend ..No release dates appear next to schools, however I started getting secondaries today- is this normal?

New to DO applications; are there any intrinsic differences between the DO personal statement and the MD one? I have a stellar PStatement, but wanted to know if I had to do some serious editing and mention why specifically I want to pursue DO schools, or if this is something I can more aptly touch on by way of the secondary applications. Please do let me know, thanks! :love:

Once we receive our new MCAT scores, do we use the THx link to request the scores to be released to AACOMAS?

Also, what's the time frame of AACOMAS receiving them and then releasing to the schools?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I just want to know how long the verification process usually takes for AACOMAS. I submitted my application on 9/7 and it's been over two weeks already so I am a little worried. They received my last transcript since 8/31. Should I be worried or is it normal? If there is anything wrong, do they contact you or should I just call them and ask? Thank you guys.

my verification took 5 weeks. sorry, but 2 weeks is still very early to be verified.

Hey guys,

I just want to know how long the verification process usually takes for AACOMAS. I submitted my application on 9/7 and it's been over two weeks already so I am a little worried. They received my last transcript since 8/31. Should I be worried or is it normal? If there is anything wrong, do they contact you or should I just call them and ask? Thank you guys.

I would get comfortable.

I submitted in mid-June and it took nearly 6 weeks. Simply put, I would not expect to be verified until mid-Oct which means you won't hear from schools till close to the end of Oct. This is not the end of the world, but it isn't good.

I might suggest you start going through school-specific threads and look for secondary questions. For those you find you can pre-write your essays to save time once you get verified.

I applied 9/24. I reallly hope it gets verified by the end of October.
Do you guys think I have a shot if I interview in November.
my gpa is 3.5 and 34 mcat

I spent WAY TOO LONG stressing over my personal statement. I must have made like 7 different versions. I should've just handed it in in july.

Do they need the MCAT scores to finish verification, or is that completely separate?

Because if that's the case, then I'll apply the same month I take the MCAT, so by the time I get the score, the verification can be finalized around the same time.

If lab grades are separate from the lecture grades, would the lab grade also be included in the sGPA? For example, my chem lab was a 1 credit hr which was given a grade and my lecture was a 3 credit hr class. Would both of it be included in the sGPA or just the lecture?
:confused: duh.

Do they need the MCAT scores to finish verification, or is that completely separate?

Because if that's the case, then I'll apply the same month I take the MCAT, so by the time I get the score, the verification can be finalized around the same time.

So I read the link, and it was helpful.. I have another question though!

If I am taking the MCAT, let's say end of August/early September of next year, would it be stupid to start AACOMAS in June?

So I read the link, and it was helpful.. I have another question though!

If I am taking the MCAT, let's say end of August/early September of next year, would it be stupid to start AACOMAS in June?

Not at all. The sooner you get these things done the better, because it gives you additional time to revise/make improvements to the wording and syntax of your application AND it's just a huge burden that's lifted off your shoulders.

Best thing you can do is actually have all your descriptions and things pre-typed in a word-document BEFORE the application even opens. That way, you can just copy/paste most of your application, and fill out the actual application in a single day. This way you can spend the rest of the time studying for your MCAT without worrying about your app. :)