2011-2012 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 1200 (including spaces).

Narrative:
Briefly describe why you want to study medicine at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University. Be sure to describe your ties (if any) to South Florida and/or Florida Atlantic University. Limit your answer to the space provided. (1200 characters limit)

Life Experiences Beyond Science and Medicine:
Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you've had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)

Re-applicants:
If you are a medical school re-applicant this year, briefly describe how you have strengthened your application since the last time you applied. If you are not a re-applicant leave this space blank. (1200 characters limit)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any word on any secondaries here? I'm trying to work through my essays before summer class starts next week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I'm IS coming from UF and USF for grad school. I've been looking through my MSAR and FAU isn't even in here. Anyone know the stats? Thanks in advance!

Hey all! I'm IS coming from UF and USF for grad school. I've been looking through my MSAR and FAU isn't even in here. Anyone know the stats? Thanks in advance!

So this is what I've found:
2011 profile
New entrants
: 64; 33 women, 31 men
Numerical credentials: cumulative GPA, 3.70, science GPA, 3.61; MCAT composite average, 31.3 (VR, 9.8; PS, 10.4; BS, 10.9);
States represented
: FL, 52; CA, 4; UT, 2; one each from NH, MN, MA, NC, TN and NY;

I go to FAU, in one of my pre-med classes they talked about applying and if everyone had the MSAR. But they also said something to the effect that they wouldn't be in this years edition. At least one of the editions. Kind of surprised that they haven't sent out any secondaries yet, being a new medical school and so late to the game, I would expect it soon, I may call over there to see what is going on this week maybe...

Hey! I graduated from UF in 2010 and just completed grad school at USF also.

Good Luck :luck:

I've been wondering the same thing. But since this will be FAU's 2nd cycle and they got a late start last round, it will be difficult to gauge their rhythm.

Only time will tell... :xf:

Any word on any secondaries here? I'm trying to work through my essays before summer class starts next week :)

Anyone get any e-mails from FAU? I haven't heard back from them yet (primary verified back in mid-June)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get any e-mails from FAU? I haven't heard back from them yet (primary verified back in mid-June)

We are starting orientation on Monday, so I'm sure things will pick up on the application front really soon. The office has been really busy getting everything prepared for the first class so I doubt they're worrying much about starting interviews for next year right now. Application season is a grind so no need to rush things.

Judging from what happened last application cycle, when the secondaries do come out there will be a quick turnaround time for those people whose stats jump off the page. When the time comes we'll all be excited to see new batches of interviewees on campus. Good luck!!

The prompts are as follows:

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 1200 (including spaces).

Narrative:
Briefly describe why you want to study medicine at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University. Be sure to describe your ties (if any) to South Florida and/or Florida Atlantic University. Limit your answer to the space provided. (1200 characters limit)

Life Experiences Beyond Science and Medicine:
Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you've had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)

Re-applicants:
If you are a medical school re-applicant this year, briefly describe how you have strengthened your application since the last time you applied. If you are not a re-applicant leave this space blank. (1200 characters limit)

By the way, I'm currently finishing a grad degree at FAU, and I've been at the school for the past five years. I'm quite familiar with the place, and if anyone has any questions they feel I could answer, then ask away.

Also, I find it amusing to see pictures of people I know adorning the top of the secondary application webpage.

Last edited:
Received Secondary. OOS. Excited for this school!

on the section of the secondary where you enter your coursework, what does "on-line" mean?

Also, there is no room to enter labs, so are you just leaving them out?

on the section of the secondary where you enter your coursework, what does "on-line" mean?

Also, there is no room to enter labs, so are you just leaving them out?

It's asking if it was an online course.

I called them about entering labs, and they told me to add them using the "add quarter credits" (or whatever it is) feature, which makes no sense to me, since I never was on a quarter system. The person didn't seem too familiar with the app. Someone else should call and ask again. I don't want them getting pissed at me.

Do you guys know if the school screens before handing out secondaries?

I have noticed that even though the limits are 1200 characters (including spaces), it will allow you to enter more in the boxes. Are you all limiting your narrative to 1200 characters? That's only around 200 words... which does not seem like much to answer the "Why FAU?" question... thoughts?

Do you guys know if the school screens before handing out secondaries?

I'm pretty sure that they do not screen.

I have noticed that even though the limits are 1200 characters (including spaces), it will allow you to enter more in the boxes. Are you all limiting your narrative to 1200 characters? That's only around 200 words... which does not seem like much to answer the "Why FAU?" question... thoughts?

I'd keep it within their prescribed limits. Emory only allows around 100 words to answer the "Why Emory?" question, so it's totally do-able with 200.

1) While the box states only 1200 and accepts more then 1200, I assure you that it won't let you go to the next screen if you're over 1200 as it happened to me.
2) For the labs, I just submitted and I'm sending an email that they can add to my file. I didn't realize the lab situation till now so whoops on my part but the quarter system thing doesn't make much sense either.

submitted! (.....and subscribing to thread :) )

Does scrapbooking count as a creative endeavor? :laugh:

I emailed them after I submitted and they reiterated the "use the space given for quarter semesters." The option I used was that, post-submission, I submitted an update listing my labs (most of my courses included labs anyway) which the admissions office said was fine.

I emailed them after I submitted and they reiterated the "use the space given for quarter semesters." The option I used was that, post-submission, I submitted an update listing my labs (most of my courses included labs anyway) which the admissions office said was fine.

Thanks! I'll enter them in the quarter system section, even though it makes little sense. Though I thought it was really nice that we could add most of our courses by importing data from AMCAS.

Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it.

Why do they ask to write a "brief statement" but give 1200 characters worth of room?

Which "application year" did you guys select when you signed in?

I completed my secondary last week. anyone know how long it normally takes to get a response on interviews?

^ On that topic, I drove by the campus today and decided to explore the new medical area a little bit. It's so new, it isn't even on the campus map yet :laugh:

^ On that topic, I drove by the campus today and decided to explore the new medical area a little bit. It's so new, it isn't even on the campus map yet :laugh:

I drove by there the other day because I was at Nordstrom Rack across the street :). How beautiful is that football stadium?

The construction of the new dorms, stadium, and the rest of Innovation Village was just in its infancy when I was doing summer sessions there, and it's amazing to see the explosive growth of the campus over the last few years.

10 days for completing their preliminary review is pretty quick! I was just verified a few days ago so I'm just getting started. I also like the option of uploading the AMCAS info. It seems as though they require us to import our info... I did it manually at first and it gave me issues with saving.

As of this morning, my status changed to "Preliminary Review Completed."

Secondary submitted :) So, due to my unique situation, the closest city I would be commuting from if I attend FAU would be Ft. Lauderdale (let's assume I beat the odds and get accepted, of course)... anyone know if tri-rail/bus shuttle to FAU Campus would be a good idea vs. driving from Ft. Lauderdale? I figured it might be good to commute on tri-rail b/c I could study, read, etc rather than sit and be mad in traffic lol Then again I'm all about saving time, so if it would take me 2 hrs public transit vs. 1 hour by car, that's a big deal. I'm just curious.....

Secondary submitted :) So, due to my unique situation, the closest city I would be commuting from if I attend FAU would be Ft. Lauderdale (let's assume I beat the odds and get accepted, of course)... anyone know if tri-rail/bus shuttle to FAU Campus would be a good idea vs. driving from Ft. Lauderdale? I figured it might be good to commute on tri-rail b/c I could study, read, etc rather than sit and be mad in traffic lol Then again I'm all about saving time, so if it would take me 2 hrs public transit vs. 1 hour by car, that's a big deal. I'm just curious.....

Depending on where you're coming from it could be good or bad. If you're one who studies well on a train or bus, then maybe not a bad idea. Having attended FAU for the past 3 years, I personally prefer driving. I've taken classes at the Davie campus a few semesters (I live only a few miles from the boca campus). I opted to drive, and could make it from boca campus to davie in aprox 30 minutes. Downtown FTL isn't to much furthur then that. There is definitely a plan for students who want to use public transit and there is a bus stop from the tri rail not far from the medical building. Definitely doable, maybe not for everyone, but worth a shot for sure

anyone know if tri-rail/bus shuttle to FAU Campus would be a good idea vs. driving from Ft. Lauderdale? I

That's a relatively short trip on the train, so the tri-rail most likely won't slow you down too much more than driving during rush hour would.

I'd recommend trying both, though, and seeing for yourself which you prefer. It might also depend on exactly how far you are from the tri-rail station in Ft. Lauderdale.

I've been riding the Tri-Rail and Palm Tran to FAU for 5 years now, and I MUCH prefer this to driving. It saves me a lot of money, it allows me to use my commute time as study/work time, and it allows me to avoid the always-lovely I-95. As a student, you can ride the train system-wide all month for $50, and with student ID, the bus ride is free. I also don't have to worry about the nearly impossible task of finding a parking spot, though I hear med students get their own, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.