2011-2012 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else interviewing on the 11th (this Friday)? PM me if you would like to meet up, or share a cab, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

those who have been rejected post-interview-was it via snail mail or e-mail?

Not sure anyone has mentioned being outside of NJ and accepted, but I'm from California and was accepted, though I have a very non-traditional path to medicine and about 8 years of life/work/volunteer experiences that have put me on that path. I'm 30, very grateful and very excited about attending Cooper. Like many on this thread, despite acceptances to other schools, I think Cooper is very well worth the 'risk'... whatever that means.

Good luck on your hunts, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure anyone has mentioned being outside of NJ and accepted, but I'm from California and was accepted, though I have a very non-traditional path to medicine and about 8 years of life/work/volunteer experiences that have put me on that path. I'm 30, very grateful and very excited about attending Cooper. Like many on this thread, despite acceptances to other schools, I think Cooper is very well worth the 'risk'... whatever that means.

Good luck on your hunts, everyone!

Dr. Dayton and Dr. McGeehan talked about you when they gave a presentation about CMSRU at Rowan University last week. Just thought you'd like to know that they think VERY highly of you! :)

Any word for those of you who interviewed 10/14? I've tried calling a few times and nobody is answering and I'm going on 4 weeks tomorrow...still nothing. Not sure what to think!

Any word for those of you who interviewed 10/14? I've tried calling a few times and nobody is answering and I'm going on 4 weeks tomorrow...still nothing. Not sure what to think!

Haven't heard anything myself. I think tomorrow makes it 4 weeks for me too.

If I were them, I probably wouldn't answer the phone either, especially since it's only going to be people asking them what's going on with their applications. You do realize at many schools, it takes eight weeks just to get small-pooled, right? Stop panicking, please!

If I were them, I probably wouldn't answer the phone either, especially since it's only going to be people asking them what's going on with their applications. You do realize at many schools, it takes eight weeks just to get small-pooled, right? Stop panicking, please!

Seconded.

A med student at RWJ-Camden: Nice to see the enthusiasm towards cooper. A lot of us decided during our second year to "switch down" to the Camden program from New Brunswick because of the mileu of the hospital, how friendly everyone is (surgery rotation attendings were all nice, etc), and how you only stay at one hospital, so you get to know the system and can form relationships across different rotations -- towards the end you will be saying hi to half the people in the hallway. Also, having easy access to Philadelphia and awesome tapas restaurants (see Amada) is nice too. It's a priviledge caring for the sickest of the sick, poorest of the poor -- and in some scenarios whose only "doctor" is... well, you.

People worried about safety -- don't be. Of all the UMDNJ campuses (New Brunswick, Newark, Stratford, and Camden), Camden has the fewest security incidents. All the system wide emails we get about robberies are from Newark. The area around the hospital is well lit, safe, and across the street from the PATCO (tons of residents and medical students use that to get to and fro). Driving across the Ben Franklin is easy, as well. To my knowledge, I know of no medical student or resident who has been mugged or attacked in many years, but that doesn't absolve you from being smart and always walking in groups at night, etc.

Also, New Brunswick has about one restaurant worth going to. Piscataway is a suburban sprawal with no downtown. Who wants to live in CNJ?

Last edited:
Tantacles - I'm simply asking others if they have heard feedback. This school made a point to specify during the interview that we would hear back within 3 weeks maximum.

I apologize... I am just wondering what it means to not have heard within the time frame.

Yeah. I just interviewed today, and given that Thanksgiving is coming up I'm not really expecting the three week maximum time frame, but that doesn't mean that I won't be agonizing after three weeks. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or stupid or neurotic. Just call. Dean Katz said to please call if you want any information (he said it several times). I generally take people on their word. Good luck with the search.

Tantacles - I'm simply asking others if they have heard feedback. This school made a point to specify during the interview that we would hear back within 3 weeks maximum.

I apologize... I am just wondering what it means to not have heard within the time frame.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I'd like to echo other interviewees sentiments here and say for everyone stressing about the standardized patient encounters PLEASE DON'T. They are extremely low-stress encounters and basically if you've had any experience with human beings in a clinical setting you will be fine. Or if you just have experience talking with human beings.

Second, I'm really dumb, and I've also never interviewed ever. (Even though I've been in the work force for 9 years I've never had one interview) I would really like to email my interviewers thanking them for their time, but I don't really know how to go about doing that. I tried looking them up in the Cooper University Hospital system. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this?

First, I'd like to echo other interviewees sentiments here and say for everyone stressing about the standardized patient encounters PLEASE DON'T. They are extremely low-stress encounters and basically if you've had any experience with human beings in a clinical setting you will be fine. Or if you just have experience talking with human beings.

Second, I'm really dumb, and I've also never interviewed ever. (Even though I've been in the work force for 9 years I've never had one interview) I would really like to email my interviewers thanking them for their time, but I don't really know how to go about doing that. I tried looking them up in the Cooper University Hospital system. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this?

Congrats on your interview! I have been sending hand written thank you notes addressed to the interviewers care of the Department of Admissions. So I used the admissions address but addressed the letter to the interviewer. If you can't find their email, I would suggest emailing the admissions department directly to ask for that information, or sending hard copy thank you notes to the Department of Admissions addressed to the interviewer.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the help!

Congrats on your interview! I have been sending hand written thank you notes addressed to the interviewers care of the Department of Admissions. So I used the admissions address but addressed the letter to the interviewer. If you can't find their email, I would suggest emailing the admissions department directly to ask for that information, or sending hard copy thank you notes to the Department of Admissions addressed to the interviewer.

Best of luck!

Hi,

Just wanted to say I heard back, got waitlisted. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back :D

On the 28th? I interviewed that day too... when did you hear back? Via email?

On the 28th? I interviewed that day too... when did you hear back? Via email?

I heard back today. And yes via email. FYI that was the nicest waitlist email I have ever seen. Like nice...

Well don't forget, I bet there will be sooo much waitlist activity for a school like Cooper... so congrats! I hope they tell me something soon, too.

Well don't forget, I bet there will be sooo much waitlist activity for a school like Cooper... so congrats! I hope they tell me something soon, too.

I def will. Its one of my top choices. I have read the email like 20 times. I love how they make you feel like an individual and not just another number. Kudos to Cooper. :)

Can you tell me where you stayed and how you got to and from interview. Im still looking at options for my interview day

So I interviewed here back in September and I am accepted. Here is my take on a few things.

Accreditation - This is probably a big concern for some folks, if not the biggest concern. I must admit, it is also a concern for me as well, as it would be a horror to be at on the street after two or three years of training through no fault of my own. However, this risk of accreditation loss is small in my opinion. The people who run the place are amazing and talented, and it is a much needed state school. Everyone is behind them and rooting for their success. I think things are going to start of smoothly.

Reputation - I don't see any reason to worry about this at all. In fact, Cooper is really really well known through out South and Central New Jersey and many people's lives have been impacted by the hospital. Whenever I tell folks around here that I might be attending there for medical school they are happy and promptly tell me about 'good' experiences at the hospital. Professionally, they have been teaching all types of health professionals for decades and it is a very good and well connected community. In other words, this is a medical school being built to accompany a well known and reputable hospital, they are not starting out from scratch, so don't worry about if it is going to effect your career.

Location - The location is relatively safe. People need to relax about this. The hospital is in a good part of Camden and you can drive in from a few directions, or take the train in to a station right by campus, without ever having to walk through the 'bad parts' of town. Cooper gets a lot of respect from the townsfolk and, if anything, I'm more worried about the infrastructure of Camden City and funding, but that is a whole different story. The city also has a really rich history. I want to emphasize these points because people make it out to be the case that you have to zig-zag and belly crawl through the streets to dodge flying bullets.

Inaugural Class - Being part of a inaugural class is awesome, because all of the professors and administrators are there for you and you alone. The community at Cooper seems really strong, and everyone seems to know everyone there! I believe that this aspect will be emphasized by the small inaugural class. Not to mention, you have an entire medical school and hospital all to yourselves, and there is also a chance you can get into the portrait that will hang at the door of the admissions office for years to come.

Facilities - Cooper is a modernized hospital and the medical school is going to be amazing. My friend is actually part of the group that is building the school and he always tells me how bitch'n it is going to be. Since it is an entirely new school, everything is being built with 'new age learning' in mind. There is a focus on multipurpose and small group rooms rather than lecture halls. Also, Camden is really close to Philadelphia and all parts of suburban New Jersey, so there are plenty of great places to live.

Curriculum - All academics seem really integrated and I find the clerkship schedules to be totally awesome. Similar clerkships are all bunched together, so you get to follow patients more closely and you get a variety of 'things to do'. For instance, instead of doing 4 weeks of OB/GYN and 6 weeks of pediatrics, you do 10 weeks of integrated work in both departments. This will really work well when it comes to medicine/surgery. You get to see/admit the patients (pregnant, heart attack, whatever) and then actually get to do the work on them instead of, from what I understand, usually doing the work and then seeing just the result.

Okay. I think I typed enough and I have work to do. If anyone has any questions let me know.

P.S. - Dr. McGeehan is the man.

New to this forum!
Submitted Primary: 9/22
Submitted Secondary: 10/10
Interview Invite: 10/11

I set my interview date for Jan. 13. I was wondering if anybody else is going that day and would like to possibly share a hotel.

Congrats! And because I'm nosy... just wondering when you are interviewing? How far out have they scheduled interviews?

Thanks! There was only one date available in Feb, and I think 2 in March. They only interview on Fridays

New to this forum!
Submitted Primary: 9/22
Submitted Secondary: 10/10
Interview Invite: 10/11

I set my interview date for Jan. 13. I was wondering if anybody else is going that day and would like to possibly share a hotel.
PM details

any 10/28ers with news?

No good news, but no bad news. I was notified today that I am waitlisted. I am a little bit confused about what was said in the email: "I expect we will go to our waitlist early in 2012. Our Admissions Committee has chosen to have you in a select small number of applicants that will be the first to be offered a position at that time."
Does this mean I am on some subset of the larger waitlist?
At the end of the email it says: "That means that it will likely be in late March that we will begin pulling from the wait list"

So does March="early 2012"? I tried calling to find out, but no answer. What do the other waitlist emails say?

No good news, but no bad news. I was notified today that I am waitlisted. I am a little bit confused about what was said in the email: "I expect we will go to our waitlist early in 2012. Our Admissions Committee has chosen to have you in a select small number of applicants that will be the first to be offered a position at that time."
At the end of the email it says: "That means that it will likely be in late March that we will begin pulling from the wait list"

So does March="early 2012"? I tried calling to find out, but no answer. What do the other waitlist emails say?

I haven't heard from them yet, but this sounds like you are on the top of their waitlist and will most likely be offered acceptance. Congrats!

i spoke with admissions-they said it is a different wait list they will pull from first. let me know if you hear further info about this!

i spoke with admissions-they said it is a different wait list they will pull from first. let me know if you hear further info about this!

Thanks guys! I've been pretty down about the waitlist because I *REALLY* want to come here. I guess waitlist is better than rejection. But now I know "special waitlist" is even better :)

Thanks guys! I've been pretty down about the waitlist because I *REALLY* want to come here. I guess waitlist is better than rejection. But now I know "special waitlist" is even better :)

If I am not mistaken , the first sentence should clarify what type of waitlist your on. :D Hope that helps!

I'm waitlisted also, but my email didn't say that about the "select group", so lucky you.

interview here in January. I was invited back in October. I hope they aren't just interviewing for the wait list at this point.

Interesting. I wonder why people haven't commented about this from their website

http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/

Important Admissions Update

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University has designed an admission process that allows all who apply the opportunity to be offered an acceptance - regardless of the date of interview.

We continue to screen applicants and offer interviews into 2012 for our charter class. As a new school, we recognize that some applicants have only recently learned about us. It is important to us that all candidates - even those applying late in the cycle - are able to compete for a position in the inaugural class. Our selection committee has planned its process such that acceptance is possible - even for those interviewing on the last day.

The Admissions Office encourages interested students to apply up until the deadline. AMCAS applications must be submitted by 12/15/2011, and full applications must be completed by 1/15/2012.

Interesting. I wonder why people haven't commented about this from their website

http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/

Important Admissions Update

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University has designed an admission process that allows all who apply the opportunity to be offered an acceptance - regardless of the date of interview.

We continue to screen applicants and offer interviews into 2012 for our charter class. As a new school, we recognize that some applicants have only recently learned about us. It is important to us that all candidates - even those applying late in the cycle - are able to compete for a position in the inaugural class. Our selection committee has planned its process such that acceptance is possible - even for those interviewing on the last day.

The Admissions Office encourages interested students to apply up until the deadline. AMCAS applications must be submitted by 12/15/2011, and full applications must be completed by 1/15/2012.

Thank you for this post. I do recall reading this on their site before filling out my secondary. I am so excited about my interview. January cannot come fast enough!

I like everything about this school.

interview on Jan Friday 13th from California. Anyone have suggestions on where to stay or if they want to share a room?

.......Rejected via email

Sadly, the way this school does interviews, I'm expecting rejection as well, especially since I'm OOS. 50 matriculants means an absolute maximum (generously) of 150 acceptances, which means 100-150 people will probably outright rejected post-interview.

With my extreme proclivity for gaffes, it's likely that I'll suffer the same fate.

interview on Jan Friday 13th from California. Anyone have suggestions on where to stay or if they want to share a room?

I am interviewing on the 27th. Would have been up to it otherwise.

I am interviewing on the 27th. Would have been up to it otherwise.

If you're in Harlem you can take NJ Transit into Camden from Penn Station (without staying anywhere overnight)

Sadly, the way this school does interviews, I'm expecting rejection as well, especially since I'm OOS. 50 matriculants means an absolute maximum (generously) of 150 acceptances, which means 100-150 people will probably outright rejected post-interview.

With my extreme proclivity for gaffes, it's likely that I'll suffer the same fate.

From what I have heard I think they are accepting even less....just a thought......idk i could be wrong

Interviewed on 11/18, just got a call and email today from Dr. Dayton saying I was accepted!

congratulations! I interviewed same day, and I hope to get that same good news as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.