2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's your backup plans guys?

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at the threads of previous years, there are people rejected pre-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, it just seems like they give out interviews to most people applying. In most schools, when they "shortlist" they truly shortlist. ie. give interviews to 10 percent of all applicants. It just prevents giving people false hopes. I guess the pros of this is that the entering class is diverse and they get to pick people rather than numbers. Idk, there's always gd and bad.

I actually think it's good... and if you re-apply, you don't have to go through this again which costs a lot:)

Yeah I have a feeling they interview as many people as possible, even though we are technically "shortlisted" for interviews. I have yet to hear people being rejected pre-interview.

hey i don't think they interviewed everyone. there are some i know who didn't get a chance to be interviewed at all. :X

hey i don't think they interviewed everyone. there are some i know who didn't get a chance to be interviewed at all. :X

I experienced that last year ... Very depressing but when you know the reason, you learn to move on.

Someone should call I****a from the admissions office and ask her when the next batch of acceptances will be sent out. That way we know when to expect something. I also noticed that alot of people from the first 2 pages of this forum don't post anymore so I'm guessing they are the ones who have already been accepted.

So, totally creeping that duke -nus 2010 page on sdn. Seems like there were a few weeks where no one heard anything. Rejection went out before the last batch of interviews March 17th for them in that year. The first person who got an offer was March 22nd. If we translate it forward to 2012, and it that schedule is still true...

OMG. SOON.

BUt that was just 1 person...and then weeks of silence before a swarm of offers on April 6th. SIGH. QQ. & we're back to the waiting game.

monday has come... and gone. :X anyone interviewed before December apart from nutsie and myself? :X

Members don't see this ad :)
monday has come... and gone. :X anyone interviewed before December apart from nutsie and myself? :X
i had my interview in early november. the reason why i still have hope is because many of applicants in my batch said that duke-nus would not be their first choice. so no matter how many people they have accepted so far, it does not mean that we are losing our spots. well, i guess i'm just trying to be more optimistic haha

I was in the 15th march interview, chances look slim but nevertheless, just sit tight. I guess worrying does not add days to your lives or increase chances of application, patience, time will tell. I guess it's a test of resolve and mettle.

Keep Calm and Carry On

I'm not an engineer either.. Haha so till then, all the best to everyone :)

I was in the 15th march interview, chances look slim but nevertheless, just sit tight. I guess worrying does not add days to your lives or increase chances of application, patience, time will tell. I guess it's a test of resolve and mettle.

Keep Calm and Carry On

I'm not an engineer either.. Haha so till then, all the best to everyone :)

haha. well we all have our own discipline to bring to the table. while engineers can bring in more problem solving skills, some of us are equipped with better critical thinking skills etc. yup. sit tight. :) no news yet is good news, actually.

Keep it up guys! I'm sure what you've done will pay off in the end. At least when I interview next year in Singapore I can meet some of you there :)

Keep it up guys! I'm sure what you've done will pay off in the end. At least when I interview next year in Singapore I can meet some of you there :)

hey doctorflower! that's A GREAT IDEA! we can all have a meetup. :D

Hey guys-- I know you're all very anxious about hearing back from the admissions office, and I totally understand the pain because I went through it last year. Let me share my experience from last year although I don't know whether this will make the waiting any easier... I applied ED in August, had my interview in November, and got the "active review" letter late December. Then didn't hear from them for a loooong time until April 21, when I got my waitlist letter. After that, they told me they would let me know as soon as there was a spot available and that could be as late as July (basically right before school starts). I never heard back from them about this. I only knew I was "rejected" because school started and I still hadn't heard from them. I really want them to keep us in the loop a little more, or at least I would've liked them to let me know formally that I didn't get off the waitlist..Anyways, hope this helps, and good luck to you all!

Hey guys-- I know you're all very anxious about hearing back from the admissions office, and I totally understand the pain because I went through it last year. Let me share my experience from last year although I don't know whether this will make the waiting any easier... I applied ED in August, had my interview in November, and got the "active review" letter late December. Then didn't hear from them for a loooong time until April 21, when I got my waitlist letter. After that, they told me they would let me know as soon as there was a spot available and that could be as late as July (basically right before school starts). I never heard back from them about this. I only knew I was "rejected" because school started and I still hadn't heard from them. I really want them to keep us in the loop a little more, or at least I would've liked them to let me know formally that I didn't get off the waitlist..Anyways, hope this helps, and good luck to you all!

hi panther888, thanks for sharing. :) but congrats on getting in this year.

Hey panther888, when did you apply this year? Any advice for re-applicants?

The part where you got in this year is amazing. But the part about....

I never heard back from them about this. I only knew I was "rejected" because school started and I still hadn't heard from them.

... is quite disheartening. I hope they don't do silent rejections like some US schools do. LOL.

oh man...almost 6 months of wait....hopefully they still remember those of us who interviewed early

Oh man, that has happened to me last year too, at another school. There's absolutely nothing worse. I got waitlisted, then didn't get a formal rejection letter until late August, about a week after I had re-applied. Absolutely ridiculous.

The part where you got in this year is amazing. But the part about....

... is quite disheartening. I hope they don't do silent rejections like some US schools do. LOL.

hey i just made a call to duke-NUS. The class has not been filled up yet. So don't be disheartened guys, cause it was said that many are in the same boat at us. (um.. I take it as that there're still quite a few vacancies) As for silent rejections, i hope not? I do know that they send rejection letters in batches and I think the next one is coming. :X And they said they hope to fill up the class by end of April, but it may stretch to May. So i guess we should sit tight for now and just enjoy interacting with each other. :)

hey i just made a call to duke-NUS. The class has not been filled up yet. So don't be disheartened guys, cause it was said that many are in the same boat at us. (um.. I take it as that there're still quite a few vacancies) As for silent rejections, i hope not? I do know that they send rejection letters in batches and I think the next one is coming. :X And they said they hope to fill up the class by end of April, but it may stretch to May. So i guess we should sit tight for now and just enjoy interacting with each other. :)

Thanks for making the call and updating us. Much appreciated.

Hey panther888, when did you apply this year? Any advice for re-applicants?

This year I applied late August, and had all my additional documents in by mid September. If you're reapplying, they really want to know what you've been doing since you applied last year. When I decided to reapply I was kind of overwhelmed because there really isn't that much time from when you're waitlisted/rejected to when you reapply, and I was a senior in college then so I didn't really have time to do anything but finish my thesis (sigh..). So I was really worried whether I had done enough to prove that my application had improved. But most of the questioning comes during the interview, so I suggest you look at your application and see what you can improve on until then. My "experiences" section in the actual app was mostly the same from last year but I managed to add some more at the interview. In my case, I decided to keep working in the lab at my school and get a paper published, while I re-started a kids' tutoring program I had done back in freshman year but couldn't continue because of all the work during school. Also started some work at a local hospital as a volunteer. In retrospect, I think it was good I ended up taking a gap year because I was able to do more stuff that I would've liked to do during college but didn't have enough time to. The tutoring was especially great because I've always known I liked kids, and from before I was leaning towards becoming a pediatrician, but after taking up tutoring again I was even more determined. Anyways, I think it would be really great if you found something you really like to do, and take advantage of this year to do it. That way, when they ask you during the interview, you'll look really passionate :)

good morning, folks. :) hope you guys had a great week thus far. just curious, what are you guys busy with? haha. working? or still studying? :D

Studying : ( End of year stuff, so much work, yet can't seem to find the motivation. Anyone in the same boat ...

Hey ppanther888: thank you for your advice. Hey sweetsecrets, I've been writing two thesis papers (double major here)...Hoep you all get in! :)

Working too.. Counting down to last day of work and looking forward to holidays!

Working as a sales manager for 4 years now...but I look forward to giving up the comfortable life style and earning less than what I am learning now in the next 10 years because having a pair of healing hands to help people are more fulfilling to me than anything.

working in dementia research....looking forward to going back to school...

sorry, i meant HOPING to go back to school....:) i miss taking exams....

i interviewed in december, still waiting like everyone else

Wondering if any non-singaporeans here!1

Last edited:
hey! I am still waiting for a response as well! So nervewrecking! I had an interview in early January. I was wondering, what does active review mean? I e-mailed them recently and they responded that my app is still under "active review." I hope we all hear good new soon!!! Good luck to everyone!

hey! I am still waiting for a response as well! So nervewrecking! I had an interview in early January. I was wondering, what does active review mean? I e-mailed them recently and they responded that my app is still under "active review." I hope we all hear good new soon!!! Good luck to everyone!

woah so heart-warming to see so many replies! hey fj90, i'm finishing up my final year and doing my honours thesis. HAHA. i feel you!

active review basically means that they are still considering you. it's not a bad thing, i would think. but it certainly means more waiting. :X

I am having a complete nervous breakdown! I have the uncontrollable urge to call and beg them! Haha! I'm not Singaporean either!

Does anyone have a guess when the next set of acceptances and rejections will be out??

Does anyone have a guess when the next set of acceptances and rejections will be out??

i don't think next set of acceptances will be out until may? I was told they hope* to fill the class by end of April, but it may drag to may. Rejections wise... i think the next batch is coming soon. :X

How do they hope to fill the class if they dont send out acceptances?

I got the 500th post, yayy..hopefully it means good news is coming for us all :)