2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone's so anxious. Do we only have 2 sdners here accepted? Where are the 20 people who were accepted already.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...I really don't think last year's thread is reliable since every year they seem to have different timelines for admission...

Just a quick question ....did any of the accepted candidates till now receive the Merit scholarship yes!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick question ....did any of the accepted candidates till now receive the Merit scholarship yes!!!

I thought the scholarship offered will be make known together at the point of an offer of admission?

Did you receive the merit scholarship?

Well...I was told by the admissions that the scholarship decisions will be made later....!!

Hey Smurfedmcat, when you accepted your offer, was there a deposit to put down and if so, how long did they give you to put that deposit down. When do you start paying full fees for August entry?

Hey Fj...there is no deposit or anything of that sort...and I was told that details about fees and tuition would be sent out in July...hope that helps...:-D

Hey everyone, I know this isn't helping your anxiety and all BUT is the interview difficult? How was the style?

Hey everyone, I know this isn't helping your anxiety and all BUT is the interview difficult? How was the style?
It depends on your interviewer. You can check the threads of the last few years and get some information there. Basically you have a teamlead session to have a feel how the lessons are conducted (which I don't think will be "graded" and considered for the admission, but if you prepare well and actively participate, definitely it will leave a better impression). After that you will have two rounds of 1 to 1 intereview, 1 with a physician and 1 with a clinical scientist. Generally the physician will ask you questions more related to clinical care, patient care etc and the scientist will ask you questions about research (your experience etc).

Based on my perception, the interviews are less difficult compared to a typical US Medical school's (I mean, the good ones) as the purpose is really to get to know you better rather than to kick you out of the many thousand applicants. But I never went through a interview in a US medical school so I am not sure how true it is. For my own interview, it was okay as both interviewers were very nice people although I do get a tough questions asking "how would you draw the line between you and your patients?" because I wrote something like "a doctor should be a friend to the patient" which I meant so that the patients can feel free to talk to the doctor his concerns...

Are you attending an interveiw soon?

The school is starting its next round of admission publicity, recieved an email abt an introductory session to MCAT on 8th Mar.. is this a forewarning of the bad news to come? You guys recieved the email?

yeah, i also received the email. but i don't think it means a bad news though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the same email. Someone should attend and bug them :p haha.

I hope 1st Mar will bring us news to break this one month of silence...

The school is starting its next round of admission publicity, recieved an email abt an introductory session to MCAT on 8th Mar.. is this a forewarning of the bad news to come? You guys recieved the email?

Could it be because you all are on the mailing list for general updates from the school? I also received it, just unsubscribe if you don't want/need it I guess...

Last edited:
I never received this email...where do you sign up for this mailing list?

I did not receive this email but I am in their mailing lists and have received similar emails last year. Although, I don't think this means anything. I spoke to admissions last week and they are waiting on the last applicant day for jan mcaters before deciding on the whole class.

Does anyone know the dates for the last applicant days, one held in Singapore and one held in USA. I think acceptances will be sent out 2 weeks after these applicant days.

i was told in an email back in december that decisions won't be made until March, and possibly as late as April/May

Well...I was told by the admissions that the scholarship decisions will be made later....!!

So do you mean one has to make a decision whether to accept the offer without knowing the financial aid that is offered?

Does anyone know the dates for the last applicant days, one held in Singapore and one held in USA. I think acceptances will be sent out 2 weeks after these applicant days.
The 2 weeks is no longer valid. During my applicant day in Dec they specifically mentioned that it used to be 2 weeks for applicants they surely want, but now it takes at least 1 month because they need more time. I attended applicant day on 6 Dec and received my acceptance email on 10 Jan, which was quite consistent with what they said.

So do you mean one has to make a decision whether to accept the offer without knowing the financial aid that is offered?
Probably. But since there is no deposit, you can accept the offer and withdraw later if you find you FA not sufficient. I have not received my FA outcome till now! I asked them and they said it is still under review...... I accepted my offer anyway...

Does anyone know how much they give for scholarship, range-wise? And how much for bursary?

Just wanted to point out how its funny how some people post only at nights or days (because of opposing time zones)

Got my Jan.mcat score today and was happy with it...any news of recent acceptances?

Doctor Flower, do you know for applicants who took MCAT in Jan, when would the shortlisted ones be called up for an interview?

Last edited:
I really don't know...I've already been interviewed in early nov.

Can't believe they'd keep us waiting this long. For those who've interviewed in November / December, this is crazy. 3-4 months wait for a decision?? ....

Doctor Flower, do you know for applicants who took MCAT in Jan, when would the shortlisted ones be called up for an interview?

I retook my MCAT in Jan, submitted my score ytrday, and got an interview today!

Congrats on getting the interview. When and where is your interview being held?

Congrats!

Lol, does that mean another month of waiting ?

Thanks! 15 March, Singapore.

Congrats!!! Good luck on your interview. May you ask them how many acceptances they've already sent? I just want to see how good my chances are...

I still think that so far they've only accepted some really strong applicants. I know someone from my interview batchhas also been accepted by Johns Hopkins...

And is this person really going to reject Johns Hopkins over duke-NUS????

I still think that so far they've only accepted some really strong applicants. I know someone from my interview batchhas also been accepted by Johns Hopkins...

What are the interview/offer statistics for this year's admission?

Well he/she might, because for Singaporeans to study in the US like for e.g. in john hopkins, the estimated cost for 4 years is about $400,000 USD. And that's a huge reason why i've only applied to Duke-NUS. :(

He has been asking for help from some friends regarding the money issue for JHU, that's how I know he got into the school...but it seems that he really does not want to give up the JHU offer. He also applied to other us schools. Really hope he got in somewhere he can afford!

Isn't tuition 42,000 and because it's a private institution, it's the same for Americans and International students. So wouldn't it be 42000 x 4, approx 200,000? That's similar to Duke-NUS (Duke-NUS is less obv. because it's Sing dollars and it's 12,000 less per year for Singaporeans).

The reason he's hesitating is because he does not have the financial statement for the whole four years... And bank loans should be borrowed year by year...but I'm pretty sure he'll get accepted somewhere:) providing he holds a PhD from JHU and have perfect GPA and MCAT...anyone heard anything recently?

Hi, is the interview conducted one-to-one or by a panel?

Do they ask more on the stuff that you have written in your application or other things?

They don't let us reveal the interview questions...but it was pretty laid back...I'm sure you will do great:)

I'm curious what north american applicants here think of osteopathic medicine (DO) programs in the U.S.? If you only had a choice of attending a DO school (with good match history) or attending Duke-NUS, which would you choose?

I'm curious what north american applicants here think of osteopathic medicine (DO) programs in the U.S.? If you only had a choice of attending a DO school (with good match history) or attending Duke-NUS, which would you choose?

I think it really depends on where you want to settle down. If you want to practice in the states, the DO school probably is a good choice. Have you been accepted?