2011-2012 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite! One of the last batch of dates in late February. Completed the secondary 10/23.

Thanks to all the posters who gave some insight on the interview approach for this school.
Good luck to all who are waiting, I'll be in the same boat in about a month :)

Be sure to check this out for your MCG interview (click on "View Survey Results"):

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/mcg

MCG actually asks candidates not to report back to this source, apparently preferring arcane mystery(?). There are recent reports of closed-file interviews, which had not been the norm for quite some time. Good luck! MCG has myriad spaces to fill with 230 total, almost all of whom must come from Ga. alone.

Members don't see this ad.

So maybe the November folks will hear back THIS upcoming Friday, lol? We'll see.

I thought they didn't reject applicants until after the interview season.

I believe that they just don't accept or reject many applicants until they have done all of their interviews. Two weeks ago they told me they haven't even accepted half of their class yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong thread.

Last edited:
I believe that they just don't accept or reject many applicants until they have done all of their interviews. Two weeks ago they told me they haven't even accepted half of their class yet.

Based on what I heard at my interview today, this is true. Admissions said about 115 of 230 have been filled, and quite a few of those that remain will be assigned at the same time the waitlist is formed.

Well, I think a few of us should be hearing back this Friday. =)

Lets hope so gabem :) good luck! I hope you get in!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten anything today either. Maybe next week.

Can someone who interviewed this week, or anyone else, comment if the adcom has started meeting on Tuesday nights as well yet? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe tomorrow will be the lucky day for some of us ;)

Maybe tomorrow will be the lucky day for some of us ;)

I called and they said that the next voting day was unknown. Also, the last voting day she spoke of was the one in early January. Back to waiting...

You guys have any questions about MCG? I'll be working my ass off over the next few weeks, so I should have plenty of time to answer some questions. MS3 here.

Does this Thursday seem like it could be an announcement day?

I'm pretty sure it's not. The next one will probably be in late March.

I'm curious, did anyone else interview with Dr. Jack Yu?

More like did anyone else feel like they shouldn't be going to medical school 2/2 to being stupid. Man that is one motivated/smart man.

More like did anyone else feel like they shouldn't be going to medical school 2/2 to being stupid. Man that is one motivated/smart man.

Basically, yeah :laugh:.

He's a very sharp dude. I was just wondering if it was normal for his interviewees to walk out feeling so... uncertain.

Any news today?

Nope. Skylinex may be correct with his assertion that we may not be hearing anything until March. I know just from talking to the office secretary last week that the next voting day is unknown.

Nope. Skylinex may be correct with his assertion that we may not be hearing anything until March. I know just from talking to the office secretary last week that the next voting day is unknown.

I'm not saying that you and skyline are necessarily wrong, but do you have any reason to think this? Do they normally stop voting at the beginning of January and wait until the end of March to vote again?

I wouldn't be too surprised if they are just trying to make a final acceptance/waitlist, but I have no reason to think that is what they are doing (other than you two saying so). I was wondering if you had any reason to think that other than a hunch.

I'm not saying that you and skyline are necessarily wrong, but do you have any reason to think this? Do they normally stop voting at the beginning of January and wait until the end of March to vote again?

I wouldn't be too surprised if they are just trying to make a final acceptance/waitlist, but I have no reason to think that is what they are doing (other than you two saying so). I was wondering if you had any reason to think that other than a hunch.

It's really a combination of things. The fact that there was no end of the month voting for January. Also, when I called the secretary she said she didn't know when the next planned voting day would be. So my guess is that they might not be doing planned meetings anymore and may just be waiting until near the end of this cycle to vote. But to be honest, its all conjecture at this point since my couple of attempts that I have made to contact them have been so uninformative.

I interviewed on Friday and they said that they met on Thursday until 8:30 PM and they have been meeting every week and will continue to do so. However, I don't think they are going to have another voting until either mid march and by the latest the end of march.

For those who interviewed in December, the decision has already been made but they just haven't announced it yet? Is that correct? I was curious as to how they would remember all the interviewers from two and a half months ago, not that we all didn't have stand out interviews.

For those who interviewed in December, the decision has already been made but they just haven't announced it yet? Is that correct? I was curious as to how they would remember all the interviewers from two and a half months ago, not that we all didn't have stand out interviews.
i interviewed in early november and still haven't heard anything...

I believe if they made a decision (accept/reject) then you would have heard already. MCG seems pretty selective about giving out decisions while the interview season is still ongoing.

They'll remember your interview because they wrote down notes.

A friend of mine interviewed last week and they told her that they would be holding voting meetings at the end of February and March. They said that she would definitely not hear anything until after the March meeting. Hopefully those of us that interviewed in Nov/Dec will hear something in a couple of weeks!

Many of my friends are still waiting to here back from MCG! I am kind of surprised they have not met as frequently as I anticipated.

I had a closed-file interview as well. My intended interviewer who had read my personal statement, secondary essays, etc was sick that morning, and so my actual interviewer was a "substitute interviewer." He did not have any of my materials, which is understandable since it was a last minute change.

I interviewed recently and picked up the following information:
All interviewed applicants will hear back by end of March, maybe mid-March, but definitely by end of March.
All interviewers have the option of open file interviews. Some prefer the closed-file approach, so there is the luck of the draw as far as the open/closed option based on the interviewer.
Once the waitlist is announced, the applicants are put in order. This order does not change.

:luck:

Do the applicants on the wait list know their number on the list?

Do the applicants on the wait list know their number on the list?

Nope. Sorry.

Edit: Sorry, that post seemed a little cold. No, they don't tell you where you are on the waitlist. The thinking being if they tell you in March that you're number 20 on the list then you are pretty much expecting a call, but what if the list doesn't move at all...then you got all excited for nothing. The same mentality can be used in July (you call July 15th, they say you're next on the list, but the list doesn't move). I wish they atleast told us a bracket (like which 3rd we're in or something) just so we have idea, but unfortunately they don't. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So I called yesterday and the girl said that they had sent out acceptances this past Friday, but that there had been a huge storm and do there is likely to be a delay in the letters reaching their destination... I checked this morning and nothing- so I'm hoping the delay extends to later and I wasn't just passed up.

So I called yesterday and the girl said that they had sent out acceptances this past Friday, but that there had been a huge storm and do there is likely to be a delay in the letters reaching their destination... I checked this morning and nothing- so I'm hoping the delay extends to later and I wasn't just passed up.

I was under the impression that e-mails would be sent in addition to the letters.

My acceptance notification came via email. I never received a mail copy.

when did you interview? Did your acceptance come today?

So since they sent out acceptances last Friday and there were only 20 spots left, I'm guessing there isn't much to be hopeful about for those of us who haven't heard back

Status
Not open for further replies.