2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks musclez! So I should openly admit I am reading Harry Potter if asked?

Absolutely! They asked what was the last book I read, and then followed up by asking about my favorite book. Just know what you like or dislike about it. They probably just want to know that you're human. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone care to comment about the past friday's interview? For all of us on deck :D

Was complete over a month ago...no news yet from them (not even a small pooled email). Is this normal? I tried calling the office today but its an interview day.

Complete for a month and a half... no small pool email either!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone care to comment about the past friday's interview? For all of us on deck :D

I really loved my interview day. I did the get-together on the evening before and stayed with a host. Everyone was really friendly and the students were all so excited about the school. The only bad thing for me was that the curriculum was still up in the air, but they told us that it would be implemented for the 2016 class.

Another good thing was that the turn around seems to be very fast. They told us they would meet on Thursday and send out notifications via snail mail on Friday, but we may get a notification by email or phone on Friday.

I really loved my interview day. I did the get-together on the evening before and stayed with a host. Everyone was really friendly and the students were all so excited about the school. The only bad thing for me was that the curriculum was still up in the air, but they told us that it would be implemented for the 2016 class.

Another good thing was that the turn around seems to be very fast. They told us they would meet on Thursday and send out notifications via snail mail on Friday, but we may get a notification by email or phone on Friday.

I interviewed Friday here too and I have pretty much the same thing to say. One thing that the students and faculty were talking about, and that I noticed too, was the family atmosphere that was present. Everyone is very collaborative and willing to help. Bc the College is a free standing institution, everyone on staff is there for the med students, which makes it really nice. The staff employed by Froedtert and Children's hospitals are employed through mcw too, and someone had mentioned that it comes out to be close to 1,000 physicians/researchers/etc compared to the 816 med students, so you never have trouble finding someone to contact for shadowing or research.

The facilities were very nice, and they even have plans to keep expanding. The actual interviews were laid back and conversational, not stressful at all. Overall, I really enjoyed the interview day and it definitely moved higher on my list after being there.

Sent 2ndary: October 15th
Small Pool: Oct 31st
Stats: 3.78/3.81, 35R

Gl everybody:D

I interviewed Friday here too and I have pretty much the same thing to say. One thing that the students and faculty were talking about, and that I noticed too, was the family atmosphere that was present. Everyone is very collaborative and willing to help. Bc the College is a free standing institution, everyone on staff is there for the med students, which makes it really nice. The staff employed by Froedtert and Children's hospitals are employed through mcw too, and someone had mentioned that it comes out to be close to 1,000 physicians/researchers/etc compared to the 816 med students, so you never have trouble finding someone to contact for shadowing or research.

The facilities were very nice, and they even have plans to keep expanding. The actual interviews were laid back and conversational, not stressful at all. Overall, I really enjoyed the interview day and it definitely moved higher on my list after being there.

Yup, there are actually > 1000 physicians at the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (Froedtert, Children's and a few others), and a large number are faculty at MCW.. not to mention we're pretty close to Wisconsin Heart Hospital and a quick drive to the Milwaukee VA Hospital ... so tons of opportunities to shadow/research (that is, if you can ever find time from the endless onslaught of anatomy, biochem and devo >< )

Invites came out the first Tuesday of November last year. Can't wait to see if this pattern continues. When will tomorrow come? :)

Invites came out the first Tuesday of November last year. Can't wait to see if this pattern continues. When will tomorrow come? :)

I believe so. I called the MSTP office a couple of weeks ago. They informed me that II would be sent out on the 1st of November.

Deposit paid, and seat confirmed. The reality of all of this is starting to set in! I'm very excited! :D

Deposit paid, and seat confirmed. The reality of all of this is starting to set in! I'm very excited! :D

+1. I like to imagine there is actually a big room with one seat for everyone accepted and one of those seats has my name on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. I like to imagine there is actually a big room with one seat for everyone accepted and one of those seats has my name on it.

Yeah, I would also like to receive one! Been pooled since September 6th. Good luck!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed too! I love this school! good luck everyone :xf::luck:

Let's wait till later tonight. If not, then they are really bad at keeping promises. :laugh:

It wasn't exactly a promise; it just seems like they are a little further behind than they were last year. Looks like they are sending them next Tuesday.

It wasn't exactly a promise; it just seems like they are a little further behind than they were last year. Looks like they are sending them next Tuesday.

How do you know they are sending more interview invites next tuesday? do they only go out on tuesdays or something?

How do you know they are sending more interview invites next tuesday? do they only go out on tuesdays or something?

I'm just basing this off patterns they have shown in the past. It is an educated guess. I do believe that they send out large waves of interview invites about once a month on Tuesdays. I am not positive, and I am feeling too lazy to double check it at the moment. If anyone knows for sure that this is wrong please correct me. My basis for "next Tuesday" is that they sent invites on the first Tuesday of November last year. My guess is that they are a little behind and decided to push the next batch of interviews back a week. It is possible that they are further behind, and we are all just twitchy neurotic premeds.

Conclusion: Predicting interview invites is like trying to predict the stock market without insider information.

Last edited:
I looked through the thread and found that II's have been sent out on 9/7, 9/14, 9/28 so far according to SDN (yes I realize that's not all-inclusive haha) and they were all Wednesdays. My roommate was accepted to MCW a few weeks ago, and she says they try to have a 2-week turnaround after the interview on whether you're accepted, waitlisted, etc. I think October has been busy with processing the second batch of applicants for small pool, making decisions after interviews, and deciding who gets the next II.

My guess is that II's will come out tomorrow since it's the first Wednesday of November? Anyway, that's what I'm hoping, I want my first II :p I applied waaayyy too late by SDN standards.

I looked through the thread and found that II's have been sent out on 9/7, 9/14, 9/28 so far according to SDN (yes I realize that's not all-inclusive haha) and they were all Wednesdays. My roommate was accepted to MCW a few weeks ago, and she says they try to have a 2-week turnaround after the interview on whether you're accepted, waitlisted, etc. I think October has been busy with processing the second batch of applicants for small pool, making decisions after interviews, and deciding who gets the next II.

My guess is that II's will come out tomorrow since it's the first Wednesday of November? Anyway, that's what I'm hoping, I want my first II :p I applied waaayyy too late by SDN standards.

Not to throw water on your theory but... To me it seems that they wait about 4 -5 weeks before the interview date to send II. That would put it on the 9th or to me the most likely date Nov 16th. I could be wrong though

Gotcha, maybe they are doing Wednesday's this year instead of Tuesday's? Either way it always seems to be on the same day of the week. Maybe we could expect something later today.

Interview invite just checked my email. Applied in late July and small pooled in mid August. Good luck everyone else.

II Today! Finally got some love from MCW! I love milwaukee, went to school there for two years and am really looking forward to this interview!

IS
3.55/36S

Sorry, forgot to include that. Small pooled on August 31st.

I scheduled my interview for Dec 2nd. Anybody else here pick that day?

Sorry, forgot to include that. Small pooled on August 31st.

I scheduled my interview for Dec 2nd. Anybody else here pick that day?

Interview invite today, small pooled 8/22, stats in mdapps. Very excited to get this interview, especially after the UW hold! I also scheduled my interview for Dec 2, Diggidy, hope to see you there!

Interview invite today, small pooled 8/22, stats in mdapps. Very excited to get this interview, especially after the UW hold! I also scheduled my interview for Dec 2, Diggidy, hope to see you there!

we might meet again! i too just recieved the invite

Complete late June, small pooled August 22, and invited to interview today.

Interview invite! Completed 9/12, Small Pool 10/7. It's funny because I practically gave up on this school after some (mis)information from the admissions' office. I'm so happy it worked out!

Hooray! Interview invite! OOS, small pooled 9/6! Hopefully will get to go to the Dec 2nd interview! Ever since someone predicted they would send out interviews yesterday (and then maybe today...) I have been checking my email every 5 minutes!:D :luck: :xf:

Hooray! Interview invite! OOS, small pooled 9/6! Hopefully will get to go to the Dec 2nd interview! Ever since someone predicted they would send out interviews yesterday (and then maybe today...) I have been checking my email every 5 minutes!:D :luck: :xf:

Dang, I want one too lol. Did you just get yours annexin? It sounds like they're staggering the invites...maybe there's still hope for me today (OOS, small pooled 8/22) :xf:

No II, Small-pooled 8/22.

3.86 / 30 MCAT / OOS

Think I still have a chance, or does the fact they passed me over this round indicate the game might be close to an end?

Last edited:

Lol that was my misprediction then correct prediction :) no invite yet, looks like I am probably in some type of silent hold category or something.

Good luck to you all on December 2nd!

i was hoping since i predicted it correctly i would get a II :p oh well, guess i can't expect much since i was just small pooled 5 days ago haha GL everyone else that got theirs though! Hopefully next Wednesday will bring some good news.

Dang, I want one too lol. Did you just get yours annexin? It sounds like they're staggering the invites...maybe there's still hope for me today (OOS, small pooled 8/22) :xf:

I got my invite late afternoon and I know for sure :) (all the obsessive email checking remember!) that it had not come to my inbox before about 2pm

No II, Small-pooled 8/22.

3.86 / 30 MCAT / OOS

Think I still have a chance, or does the fact they passed me over this round indicate the game might be close to an end?
Don't lose hope Poppa2! It is still relatively early in the game, if they haven't inactivated your user ID you are still have a chance!

can someone help me out? This is what my II said

"Interviews have been scheduled for Friday, November 11, 2011. Your interview day will begin at 11:00 a.m. and run until approximately 5:00 p.m. Please be aware that interview spaces are filled on a first come first serve basis, and reservations are made only by phone. Call (414) 955-8246 to schedule your appointment for one of the above dates. Email confirmations with appropriate information will follow. If you do not make an appointment, you will not be on the interview schedule."

I was not able to schedule an interview today because I didn't find out until now and they are now close. But does this mean that I can only interview that day. I am also a little nervous since their website says "Interview spaces are limited. An invitation does not guarantee an interviewing spot. Call immediately to make your reservation."

Who has had experience with this? Is it really possible that I might miss the interview reservation because I wasn't quick on the trigger? And when your are scheduling an interview do they give you more than one option?

Thanks.

"Interviews have been scheduled for Friday, November 11, 2011. Your interview day will begin at 11:00 a.m. and run until approximately 5:00 p.m. Please be aware that interview spaces are filled on a first come first serve basis, and reservations are made only by phone. Call (414) 955-8246 to schedule your appointment for one of the above dates. Email confirmations with appropriate information will follow. If you do not make an appointment, you will not be on the interview schedule."

I was not able to schedule an interview today because I didn't find out until now and they are now close. But does this mean that I can only interview that day. I am also a little nervous since their website says "Interview spaces are limited. An invitation does not guarantee an interviewing spot. Call immediately to make your reservation."

Who has had experience with this? Is it really possible that I might miss the interview reservation because I wasn't quick on the trigger? And when your are scheduling an interview do they give you more than one option?

Thanks.
Short answer: Call tomorrow and work it out with them.

Thanks.

No worries. You can definitely call tomorrow and get that interview day or the next date. My sense is that they just want people to respond quickly so they know how many to accomodate. Congrats on all the invites!

Status
Not open for further replies.