2011-2012 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on when (or if) there will be a second look day?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like they couldn't reject me fast enough.

Interviewed 2/29 got the rejection letter today, dated 3/26.

I really thought I had this, my interview went so well. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on my letter of intent and I have a few questions for you guys.

1. Does it make a difference if I email or fax this letter?

2. Should I send it to the director of admissions, the dean, or both? (I've heard that sending a letter of intent to the dean can work in your favor)

P.S. To those interested, I found out that NYMC accepts students off the waitlist before May 15th as well. I was told to send my LOI as soon as I can.

:xf::xf:

I'm working on my letter of intent and I have a few questions for you guys.

1. Does it make a difference if I email or fax this letter?

I would email it. Easier and faster.

2. Should I send it to the director of admissions, the dean, or both? (I've heard that sending a letter of intent to the dean can work in your favor)

You should call admission and ask who to address it to. But it is usually the dean.

P.S. To those interested, I found out that NYMC accepts students off the waitlist before May 15th as well. I was told to send my LOI as soon as I can.

:xf::xf:

answers in bold.

I've heard that all schools have to send out all their acceptances and rejections by March 31st and that waitlists don't really have a deadline. Is this true?

I've heard that all schools have to send out all their acceptances and rejections by March 31st and that waitlists don't really have a deadline. Is this true?

i heard it was a recommendation and not necessarily a requirement...

Definitely not a standard rule.

Waitlists can move up until the day of orientation at schools (if someone decides not come for some reason). Acceptances are school by school, they have their own dates.

For those who interviewed in March at NYMC, try not to panic as May 15th approaches. I know admissions will say you will hear before then (and you should) but it wouldn't be the first time if you don't and get an acceptance sans waitlist after May 15th. Just if May 15th is approaching and you haven't heard anything, get on the phone and let them know you're interested, and excited to hear from them. Be entirely cordial but be heard; the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Something a mentor told me is a program isn't going to penalize you for being excited about them, so don't be afraid to call if it gets to that point and you already wrote letters, just be positive when you speak to whomever answers the phone.

Wait listed yesterday!! The torture continues. Interviewed 2/14

I know this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find the answer after searching through a few pages. I just got the official acceptance letter in the mail today and I'm ready to send in my deposit. Can I send it together with the signed checklist or is it best to send both the deposit and checklist separately? If I should send them separately is it to the same address?

Hi all! Withdrew today. I hope my spot goes to one of you! Good luck!

I know this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find the answer after searching through a few pages. I just got the official acceptance letter in the mail today and I'm ready to send in my deposit. Can I send it together with the signed checklist or is it best to send both the deposit and checklist separately? If I should send them separately is it to the same address?

I sent both together and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Waitlisted here and BU... Any idea on how this list moves?

Members don't see this ad :)

apparently they look at people that are in a similar demographic to the person that left
but it's not a ranked list, they look at all of the applications

Definitely know the wait list is not ranked. From looking at previous threads on SDN, it seems that there is a little bit of movement before May 15 as people give up their spots, and then it moves in chunks mostly from the end of May to the end of June. I've heard from several sources that they end up taking about half their class off of the wait list. I'm in the same boat as you... waiting on the wait list. :(

I'm also currently studying to re-take the MCAT and working on a new personal statement just in case. Un-fun times.

Same. Is the class full yet? Or are the interviews this late actually for spots in the class?
At my interview 2 weeks ago they were very adamant that everyone interviews for a seat in the class no matter when you interview. The admissions director told a story about how the last interviewee on the last day of interviews was given an outright acceptance a few years back. That said, I don't know if us late interviewees have exactly the same chance of outright acceptance as someone who interviewed in September.

they leave spots open for every interview date.

Has anyone gotten a health form or request to send in transcripts?
What about acknowledgment for receiving terms&conditions or deposit?

I'm likely going to be out of the country in May and was hoping to get all these documentations ready. I sent an e-mail to admissions, but no reply. thanks again all!

Is lecture attendance mandatory? I heard NYMC has longer than average lecture times. I never went to lecture during undergrad and hopefully wont have to go during medical school.

Is lecture attendance mandatory? I heard NYMC has longer than average lecture times. I never went to lecture during undergrad and hopefully wont have to go during medical school.

Lecture is not mandatory. A few are though, but that's rather rare. Of course certain activities such as small group and labs are mandatory. Lecture time is really dependent on the block, but a lecture is typically an hour long. First block seems like a century ago, so I'll give you my experience of the second and current third block:

For biochem & physio block there were three classes in the morning and two in the afternoon. So 9-12 and then 1-3. Those were long days. I'm a 50/50 class goer, it depends on the subject matter. Physio, being more conceptual and have excellent professors, I would attend those lectures. Biochem - it's too much material to soak in during lecture and you'll have to memorize it anyway so I would utilize that time to study at home.

For the neuro and behavioral science block now, we're done every day at noon (days alternate between neuro or behavioral science) so two or three lectures in the morning; except if you have a mandatory group activity in the afternoon. I think first block was similar, just the biggest time sink was anatomy lab which is 3-4 hours every other day.

I wouldn't dismiss going to class so hastily. Check it out first and see how you like it. It's med school, so what worked in undergrad or grad school typically doesn't work anymore. If it did, I would be honoring everything without breaking a sweat. It's a new ball game, and there is definitely a learning curve to figuring out what works for you. Only a handful of people don't experience that learning curve and hit the ground running, but for most, that first month or two is trial and error, and for some it continues for a block or two.

Did anyone receive the scholarship email?

yes I received the scholarship email too. This just made my decision btw this school and my other acceptance that much tougher. 80K over four years will be insane for me to pass up.

20k, renewable (80k over the 4yrs). Looking at last years thread this is pretty typical.

yes I received the scholarship email too. This just made my decision btw this school and my other acceptance that much tougher. 80K over four years will be insane for me to pass up.

when did you guys submit your financial aid forms?

:thumbup: Did you try using the contact # in the email...its the Hampton Hotel... :laugh:

when did you guys submit your financial aid forms?

*The scholarship came from the office of admissions...it's not based on financial aid info. I haven't submitted anything.

I did receive the same email. This was actually the second school to offer me something. Percentage wise it was similar to another school, but total was higher here. I'm hoping for similar offers from other schools. If so, I sure will have a tough decision come May 15th. Being close to NYMC and receive this aid sure will be hard to pass up. I went to work with a Joker like smile today.

I could be wrong but looking at previous posts from those that got the scholarship emails it seems like it might be a URM scholarship

I could be wrong but looking at previous posts from those that got the scholarship emails it seems like it might be a URM scholarship

It would be interesting if I qualified as a URM :confused: ...don:t think so.

Went for the second interview yesterday and interviewed with one of the assistant deans. This time it didn't go as well as the first. So, not that surprised when I got the waitlist email this morning. (Although, I'm pleasantly surprised at how fast a decision was made).

They may not talk about them, but there are also performance based scholarships. Wish I knew that going into first block... would've gave me some more motivation. But if you honor both classes during first block you'll get money, just need to keep up some level of performance for that, but it's another way to get money if you didn't get any scholarship funds coming into the school.

They may not talk about them, but there are also performance based scholarships. Wish I knew that going into first block... would've gave me some more motivation. But if you honor both classes during first block you'll get money, just need to keep up some level of performance for that, but it's another way to get money if you didn't get any scholarship funds coming into the school.

thanks for this!

Thanks for the heads up! Truly appreciated.

Went for the second interview yesterday and interviewed with one of the assistant deans. This time it didn't go as well as the first. So, not that surprised when I got the waitlist email this morning. (Although, I'm pleasantly surprised at how fast a decision was made).

Wait listed this morning as well. I didn't feel very confident about the interview so I am pleased to still be in the running. Good luck everyone!

Hey y'all, I'm interviewing here in a couple weeks... about how long does it take for final decisions to come out after the interview? If it's really 8-12 weeks, that means I won't hear back until June-ish? :(

Hey y'all, I'm interviewing here in a couple weeks... about how long does it take for final decisions to come out after the interview? If it's really 8-12 weeks, that means I won't hear back until June-ish? :(

I interviewed Feb 7th and heard back March 27th, so 7 weeks exactly. Some people have waited up to 9 or 10 weeks, but hopefully it goes a bit quicker since the season is winding down. I would think that they would try to get you a decision before May 15th, but you should call the office and ask. Good luck!

I interviewed Feb 7th and heard back March 27th, so 7 weeks exactly. Some people have waited up to 9 or 10 weeks, but hopefully it goes a bit quicker since the season is winding down. I would think that they would try to get you a decision before May 15th, but you should call the office and ask. Good luck!

Thanks!! :)

I heard in just under 6 weeks. They told us to expect itt hear in 6-8 weeks

Sorry for the opened ended question but for those that have interviewed here/visited the campus, how was the atmosphere? Im currently sitting on an acceptance somewhere else and Im debating whether or not to go to my interview here. The whole med school in the suburbs away from any university thing sounds so strange to me. The cost of flights booking so late along with the timing the week before finals makes it a tough call. Any advice/opinions really help. Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for the opened ended question but for those that have interviewed here/visited the campus, how was the atmosphere? Im currently sitting on an acceptance somewhere else and Im debating whether or not to go to my interview here. The whole med school in the suburbs away from any university thing sounds so strange to me. Any advice/opinions really help. Thanks

The atmosphere is nice. Students are super friendly, and the campus is gorgeous. I was also worried about it being so isolated, but it turned out to be a great place. I realized that it's probably better to be isolated in a "suburban" area for studying, but being close enough to go out to NYC if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.