2011 & 2012 OMFS Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello to all,

Just posting my stats to get an evaluation from the pros:

NBDE 1: 90
Class Rank: 15/86
Externship Experience: 2 completed, 2 planned for August.
Extracurricular: Tutoring, several academic spots, community service, several works authored.
Research: 2 projects completed (1 to be published soon), and a 3rd scheduled
Work experience: DAT instructor, private practice OS assistant
Undergrad: Valedictorian (4.0 gpa)

I posted my undergrad academics not to brag, but to ask: Does a very strong undergrad record make me a stronger applicant for the 6 year (For which the Medical school evaluates College grades) than the 4th year? How in depth to 4/6 year programs look at College grades, and do they help?

Still deciding: 4 year vs. 6. Im not convinced of the superiority of the MD program, that is unless you wish to pursue academic endeavors, research, or plastics. Cant 4 year graduates still do plastics? What are your takes on 4 vs 6?

Any advice as to how many programs one should apply to? Program directors at my school advise to hit around 25-30 programs.

When is the best time to begin applying? I know that Pass/Match opens this coming week, however some professors have not written their letters for me yet. Is it detrimental to wait till the end of the summer (aka end of August)?

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Hopeful OMFS.

As long as you are not socially inept during your interview, I think you will have smooth sailing 4 or 6 year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone..would really love some feedback on how screwed my chances are of getting in somewhere for OMFS. Because I could definitely see going into academics, I was originally leaning to 6 year programs but frankly I don't think my board scores and class rank are really in that ballpark, so I'm probably going to have to stick to 4 year programs (maybe that have more emphasis on academia)

NBDE Part I: 86
Class Ranking: 21/96
Externship(s): None yet but will try to do at least 2.
Research: Good amount currently going on and should have at least a few published papers before applying.
Extracurriculars: Not too much, member of ASDA, ADEA, etc., go to OMFS grand rounds periodically, been to some research conferences...

What do you think? What can I do to improve?

Thanks!

I would consider doing more than 2 externships, I met few guys on the interview trail who only did 2. Plus, this is a pre-interview opportunity for programs that you may be interested in. Work hard, be impressive, get along with the residents, and you will only help your cause.

Is your research in OMS field? Will you be lead author? Peer reviewed journals? Peer reviewed journals that actually pertain to the field, ie JOMS? Are you going to present your research, even better at a National scale like AAOMS meeting?
These are the things that will increase/decrease the importance of the research you've done.

Hopefully you have a great relationship with OS faculty and can get glowing LOR's. Also, hang out and take call with the residents at your program as much as possible. Faculty will notice. Oral Surgery is a big commitment and faculty/attendings want to see you have the required dedication to be successful.

If I were you, I would approach the program director of the post-graduate program at your school with your current CV and ask him/her what can be improved before the application cycle.

good luck

Hey Friends... just became an SDN member and thought I would jump in the conversation!

Part I: 93
GPA: 3.77
Research: Notta!!!! I absolutely hate it!:D (much to my demise!)
Externships: 1 down, 1 planned for MGH, another in Sept = 3 total
Extracurricular: Class treasurer, ASDA, local state dental association
Want a 4 yr program

I post because I am concerned about an aspect of my application that I am slightly worried about.... I got into the game late (just recently decided that I was going for OS) and I haven't been too in to the OS scene. I am not sure I can get great letters from an oral surgeon. Any advice on how I can quickly get my name out there and maybe get a nice letter or two? Thanks

want em real bad... lets take off some buccal bone

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.
I was hoping to get feedback on my chances for matching into either 4 or 6 yr programs.

NBDE1: 94
Rank/ GPA: 3.75 (my school doesnt rank anyone past top 10 students)
Externship: 2 oms completed
Extracurrics: class president, countless other clubs, and more community service
Research: none in dental, 1 yr for undergrad in neuroscience
Work Experience: dental assisting for gp

I just have a few questions:

1) Would I be more competitive for a 4 yr or a 6 yr program
2) Do OMFS directors look at transcripts throughly? My first year at dental school was rough, and took a hit in biochem (C+), and got a few B's here and there. Other than a few B's and a C+, I had straight A's on my other classes.
3) Do OMFS directors look at certain classes heavier? IE. Restorative dentistry lab classes/ didactic classes, or oral surgery didactic classes? Or do they just look at ur overall, and Boards?
4) If anyone can also add what I might do to add to my competitveness?
5) What are my overall chances?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Hello. Also another long time reader, first time poster.

NBDE1: 88
Rank/ GPA: around Top 15-20%.
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Externship: 3 completed, 2 more scheduled.
Extracurrics: Student government, ADEA, Multiple TA'ing, and many more.
Research: 1 Done w/ local & national presentation. 1 elbow deep in, & 1 scheduled to start.

Will be applying widely and hoping for a 6 year, as I believe I will do full time teaching sometime in my life.
Do I even have a good chance for interviews?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey Friends... just became an SDN member and thought I would jump in the conversation!

Want a 4 yr program

I post because I am concerned about an aspect of my application that I am slightly worried about.... I got into the game late (just recently decided that I was going for OS) and I haven't been too in to the OS scene. I am not sure I can get great letters from an oral surgeon. Any advice on how I can quickly get my name out there and maybe get a nice letter or two? Thanks

Hi wantchurwizzys. I'm a little confused. It says you want to do a 4yr program but you have plans to do MGH which is only 6 yr. What made you decide to do MGH?

Hi wantchurwizzys. I'm a little confused. It says you want to do a 4yr program but you have plans to do MGH which is only 6 yr. What made you decide to do MGH?

I hear it doesn't hurt to have at least one 2 week externship under your belt... this was the only one I could find in short notice plus i hear you get a lot of hands on here. I don't want to go to residency there, just an externship

Trying to evaluate the possibility of me getting into OMFS Residency....

Stats:
Part 1: 91
School: BU
Gpa: 3.67 (Cumulative)
Externship: One planned for this month and one observership in July
Graduation: 2008 and since then working as a General Dentist and in Army reserves
Extracurriculars: class officer, some community service....

So... is someone in my situation.... please advice

Trying to evaluate the possibility of me getting into OMFS Residency....

Stats:
Part 1: 91
School: BU
Gpa: 3.67 (Cumulative)
Externship: One planned for this month and one observership in July
Graduation: 2008 and since then working as a General Dentist and in Army reserves
Extracurriculars: class officer, some community service....

So... is someone in my situation.... please advice

You have similar stats to me, (92,11/89,3.6,2 externships). I graduated 2002, and applied first time this past cycle and got in. You should be competitive. Apply to lots of programs as early as possible, get good LOR's, do well on your interviews and you should be fine. Good luck!

Hi there,
First time poster and thought I would share to see what those who have been through the process think...

GPA: 3.5 - My school does not rank.
NBDE I - Writing this month
Externships: 7
Research: M.Sc. in Cancer Biology and 3 publications in OMFS related topics.
Extracurriculars: Class President all 4 years of dental school, Dental school admissions committee and research committee. Executive committee of student run community healthcare outreach program.
I know the boards hold alot of weight so I'm hoping I can achieve a decent score.

Any feedback and/or perspectives are welcomed. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Want a 4 yr program

Stats look good. Some programs like research, some don't care. Apply to a bunch. I am not sure if just graduated or you are still in school. If you are still in school, you have time to kiss a lot of butt and spend a lot of time in your dept and hopefully you have a few OMFS faculty so that you can get good LOR's. If you just graduated, it will be more difficult. You just have to spend as much time at a program as you can so that faculty can get to know you and see that you are hard working. Be honest with them, tell them you are late getting into the game. They shouldn't fault you for that. Not everyone picks OMFS right away. Good luck!

Hi there,
First time poster and thought I would share to see what those who have been through the process think...

GPA: 3.5 - My school does not rank.
NBDE I - Writing this month
Externships: 7
Research: M.Sc. in Cancer Biology and 3 publications in OMFS related topics.
Extracurriculars: Class President all 4 years of dental school, Dental school admissions committee and research committee. Executive committee of student run community healthcare outreach program.
I know the boards hold alot of weight so I'm hoping I can achieve a decent score.

Any feedback and/or perspectives are welcomed. Thanks

You have been president for all four yrs in dental school and not taken NBDE 1? Did you graduate from a school outside of the US? GPA of 3.5 is fine but with no ranking, it is hard to say. 3.5 in some dental schools is a top 10-15% ranking, others it is a top 30-40% ranking. Most programs know based on what school you went to how good that is. Impressive research. 7 externships is a crazy amount. Should be plenty. You are correct in saying the board scores are important. Best of luck taking the boards.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am just finishing up my 3rd year of dental school and writing the boards this month and I've already been elected class president for next year. I am from Canada and although I cannot speak for the other Canadian schools, mine does not rank so I have no way of knowing where my GPA stands in terms of ranking. I know for the NBDE's, the higher the score the better, but what would you say is the number you need to ensure getting some interviews? Is it 90 or would be 88-89 be adequate? Thanks in advance.

Hello. Also another long time reader, first time poster.

NBDE1: 88
Rank/ GPA: around Top 15-20%.
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Externship: 3 completed, 2 more scheduled.
Extracurrics: Student government, ADEA, Multiple TA'ing, and many more.
Research: 1 Done w/ local & national presentation. 1 elbow deep in, & 1 scheduled to start.

Will be applying widely and hoping for a 6 year, as I believe I will do full time teaching sometime in my life.
Do I even have a good chance for interviews?

Thanks in advance

Since nobody replied to you, I will give it a go with the advice. Going to be a little difficult applying to 6 yr but not impossible. Externships and research look good. GPA and ranking probably good enough to get a few 4 yr program interviews. My advice is to apply to lots of programs, even some 4 yr ones if you are serious about OMFS as a career. There are plenty of full time faculty that are single degree. 6 yr programs historically want top 10% and 90 or above on part I. If one is slightly off, it is not too bad, if both aren't in that cut off, it will be more difficult from what I hear. Get good LOR's. Good luck!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am just finishing up my 3rd year of dental school and writing the boards this month and I've already been elected class president for next year. I am from Canada and although I cannot speak for the other Canadian schools, mine does not rank so I have no way of knowing where my GPA stands in terms of ranking. I know for the NBDE's, the higher the score the better, but what would you say is the number you need to ensure getting some interviews? Is it 90 or would be 88-89 be adequate? Thanks in advance.

I understand now. I should have guessed when you said you were "writing" your boards that you were Canadian :) 90+ is the magic number. 88-89 would be adequate, but you would be sweating a little bit and wishing you scored 90+. Canadians have it a little rougher as far as a smaller pool of schools to apply to since some require you to graduate from a US school so board scores are going to be even more important. Kick butt on the boards. Studying for it should consume your life :)

Good luck on the board. And as for canadians, studying in a US dental school or not, you will be restricted in the number of schools you can apply to due to your citizenship status. So make sure you double check if the residency you are applying to accepts non-US residents.

Useful information. Perhaps we should make a thread for 2012, or just continue this one?

good idea... i think a new thread would be the way to go

Excellent idea. I always think that we should start another thread.

I'm just going to throw this out here to give you guys a laugh...being a single mom I doubt I could ever pull this off but here goes -

NDBE I - 91
NDBE II - 89
Clinical Boards (SRTA) - 95
GPA (don't laugh see below) 3.03
Class rank - middle-ish (11 years ago...dont recall)
Residency - currently doing very well in 2 year AGPR that's heavy on OMS/pedo/perio, 1-2 days/week OR time, weekly IV sedation management, 7 days on/7 off ER call for dental and trauma, cleft team
Experience - 8 years private practice doing esthetics, implant restorations, soft/hard tissue lasers, etc. 3 years USPHS service.
Extracurricular - volunteer deployment for Navy humanitarian mission to Central/South America, volunteer service with Remote Area Medical and Mission Of Mercy projects, volunteer adjunct clinical faculty 1 yr, plus other assorted organized dentistry fluff.

Reason the GPA sucks - husband was in and out of hospital during dental school with aggressive SLE (died 4 1/2 years after graduation). You can tell which semesters he was in the hospital - grades look like a sine wave.

I really enjoy oral surgery, and AGPR faculty has suggested several times applying in a couple of years when my son is a teenager. I don't think I would be the office bound wizzies and implants only type. My passion is reconstructive, especially pediatric craniofacial anomalies. Having lived through my own child's cleft surgeries I have a deep appreciation of the powerful effect an empathic competent provider can have on the lives of these kids and their families. I probably wouldn't get rich doing that, but I know I would enjoy the heck out of it. :)

So flame away if you want, but know that any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm just going to throw this out here to give you guys a laugh...being a single mom I doubt I could ever pull this off but here goes -

NDBE I - 91
NDBE II - 89
Residency - currently doing very well in 2 year AGPR that's heavy on OMS/pedo/perio, 1-2 days/week OR time, weekly IV sedation management, 7 days on/7 off ER call for dental and trauma, cleft team
Experience - 8 years private practice doing esthetics, implant restorations, soft/hard tissue lasers, etc. 3 years USPHS service.
Extracurricular - volunteer deployment for Navy humanitarian mission to Central/South America, volunteer service with Remote Area Medical and Mission Of Mercy projects, volunteer adjunct clinical faculty 1 yr, plus other assorted organized dentistry fluff.

Reason the GPA sucks - husband was in and out of hospital during dental school with aggressive SLE (died 4 1/2 years after graduation). You can tell which semesters he was in the hospital - grades look like a sine wave.

I really enjoy oral surgery, and AGPR faculty has suggested several times applying in a couple of years when my son is a teenager. I don't think I would be the office bound wizzies and implants only type. My passion is reconstructive, especially pediatric craniofacial anomalies. Having lived through my own child's cleft surgeries I have a deep appreciation of the powerful effect an empathic competent provider can have on the lives of these kids and their families. I probably wouldn't get rich doing that, but I know I would enjoy the heck out of it. :)

So flame away if you want, but know that any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

DT... I wouldn't be discouraged. You seem like you have a compelling story. I think your part I is high enough to get you noticed. GPA is a bit low but all you have to do is get the interviews and I think you will be lights out from there. How do your letters of rec. look?

NDBE I - 91
NDBE II - 89

Programs would be crazy to not look at the whole picture here and instead single you out for a mediocre GPA - the rest of your stats are strong and your story is pretty amazing. I think that being driven and determined - such as in your case - is a far more worthy attribute.

Letters of recommendation would likely come from AGPR attendings who have all talked about the possibility of me staying on as faculty either before or after a specialty residency. I guess if they want to keep me they must like me a little bit at least... ;)

I won't finish here until Sept 2012 (we start a little off cycle...long story) so I have a while to decide. In the meantime, I'm prepping for both the AAHD and the ABGD exams. Being boarded in either or both of those probably wouldn't hurt my application either I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback!

Letters of recommendation would likely come from AGPR attendings who have all talked about the possibility of me staying on as faculty either before or after a specialty residency. I guess if they want to keep me they must like me a little bit at least... ;)

I won't finish here until Sept 2012 (we start a little off cycle...long story) so I have a while to decide. In the meantime, I'm prepping for both the AAHD and the ABGD exams. Being boarded in either or both of those probably wouldn't hurt my application either I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, with a 90+ boards and a CV like that there aren't too many places you're going to be held back from. Some programs seem to strongly prefer new grads regardless of their situation, but you'll be a strong applicant for the next cycle IMO.

As of Jan 2010, applicants who pass can no longer retake the boards in attempt to make higher scores. Will this cause the average boards scores of OMS applicants to be lower? And therefore, if an applicant makes a high 80, such as an 87, would they possibly be considered a little more than in the past even though not a 90?

As of Jan 2010, applicants who pass can no longer retake the boards in attempt to make higher scores. Will this cause the average boards scores of OMS applicants to be lower? And therefore, if an applicant makes a high 80, such as an 87, would they possibly be considered a little more than in the past even though not a 90?

IMO the average NBDE score will probably see a ever so slight dip due to the unavailability of retakes, though only time will tell.

Hey, I'm not sure if people are still posting on this thread, but I thought I'd air my stats and see what you guys thought. I am a second year at a newer school, so I really hope the whole "name" thing doesn't come into play when schools look at my application. Also, like I said, I have just started so I have no externships:

GPA/Class Rank: 3.82/10 of 110
Research: ZERO (did a year in undergrad and hated it)
Extracurriculars: Founded a club on campus dealing with practice management and professionalism, involved in student counsel, random volunteering, etc.
Externships: again, zero right now, but hopefully during my 3rd and 4th year I can do a handful. I want to know when you guys get time to do this? Do you do it over breaks (I only ask because I'm pretty sure we don't get any breaks that would allow for a full 2 weeks of externship)

Thanks in advance for any advice