2011-2012 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to apply. I think the language requirments keep more people for apply.

My Spanish is rusty as I live in Cleveland, but I think I can pull this off.

Hope to get an interview as my cGPA is craptastic.

Last edited:
My Spanish is rusty as I live in Cleveland, but I think I can pull this off.

Hope to get an interview as my cGPA is craptastic.

Ponce sent me an email saying they receive my application today. Hopefully I get an interview too as my in gpa sucks as well. Are you a Dartmouth 05? I actually graduated as a Dartmouth 10, and Dartmouth killed my GPA.

Cheers

Ponce sent me an email saying they receive my application today. Hopefully I get an interview too as my in gpa sucks as well. Are you a Dartmouth 05? I actually graduated as a Dartmouth 10, and Dartmouth killed my GPA.

Cheers

I graduated in '05. I wish I had know how awesome biochem is. I wouldn't have wasted my time at Dartmouth studying econ and history. Consequently, my GPA is just garbage. It would take a crap ton of hours to get my GPA up to 3.5 range. Did your GPA from Dartmouth come out all weird when the AMCAS folks verified you?

Anyways, hopefully there will be a minireunion at the interview.

I graduated in '05. I wish I had know how awesome biochem is. I wouldn't have wasted my time at Dartmouth studying econ and history. Consequently, my GPA is just garbage. It would take a crap ton of hours to get my GPA up to 3.5 range. Did your GPA from Dartmouth come out all weird when the AMCAS folks verified you?

Anyways, hopefully there will be a minireunion at the interview.

After verification my gpa was not weird, it just sucked. But yeah hopefully land some interviews.

I am also applying to Ponce...and have yet to recieve anything!

Yo también estoy aplicando a Ponce...pero todavía no he recibido algo!

I received a few emails from them requesting transcripts of current classes, and money order for 100 dollars.

Last email received on 9/15/11

"Hi:

Your file is complete and ready for review.

The evaluation process will begin in late November.

We’ll keep you informed.

Have a nice day,

Ponce School of Medicine
Admissions Office"

So the waiting is longer for PR med schools :sleep:

Does anyone know if a lot of classes are really taught in just Spanish? Are tests in Spanish too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last email received on 9/15/11

"Hi:

Your file is complete and ready for review.

The evaluation process will begin in late November.

We’ll keep you informed.

Have a nice day,

Ponce School of Medicine
Admissions Office"

So the waiting is longer for PR med schools :sleep:

They've cashed my check, but I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. Anyways, good luck.

Does anyone know if a lot of classes are really taught in just Spanish? Are tests in Spanish too?

Most classes are taught in Spanish but there is always a power point presentation in english... ALL tests are in English!

Hola Amigos!

I am about submit my application to PSM. I am bilingual and interpret at a hospital I work in in the States.

a few question for you.

I saw in the FAQ, that 85% of those admitted are PR residents. Does anyone know if the other 15% are considered based on their nationality etc? Im from South America, and I'm wondering if applicants with Puerto Rican roots fill most of those 15%.

if anyone can Chyme in. I would love to go to school in PR!:D

Anyone with interviews here yet?? Also did you submit a background check or do they do that for you automatically?

Thanksss

Anyone with interviews here yet?? Also did you submit a background check or do they do that for you automatically?

Thanksss

NADA, NOPE, NO INTERVIEWS YET. you need to submit your own background check.

good luck!

shoot really?!?! how do you do that?! no directions on that e-mail :(

how sure are you on this??? their website says that you need to complete it only after you are accepted and that PDF that they sent me saying what they needed in order to open my file says taht we need to do the AAMC certifi but absolutely no directions with it. Can anyone else chime in on what Ponce's requirements are RE: submitting a background check??

I e-mailed the admissions committee and have confirmed that you do not need to do the background check.

"An AMCAS CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK (Certiphi Screening) will be conducted once the applicant is accepted. If felonies/misdemeanors appear in the results of the background check, the acceptance may be revoked."

They have a couple of inconsistencies in these letters, for example; This one that I was just sent says they need my official transcripts, however in the other one that I received it says nothing of this.

Ugh confused....I just want to go to this school!!

has any one heard from ponce yet or know if they started their interview process? when i called before i was told they would start in mid November but i haven't heard anything in a while.

Also i'm a mainlander and was wondering if any one knows if they make exceptions to traveling to PR for an interview? (and whether or not this would hurt ones chances)

I think this med school (Ponce) is on probation by the LCME? similar situation as San Juan Bautista....anyone know anything about this?. I applied to both...... bad luck :thumbdown:

I think this med school (Ponce) is on probation by the LCME? similar situation as San Juan Bautista....anyone know anything about this?. I applied to both...... bad luck :thumbdown:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/12/05/prsa1205.htm

Ponce is indeed on probation, but it is a serious statement to say it is a similar situation as SJB. Many schools have been put on probation (look at the other few on the probation list as well right now), only SJB and one other school in history have lost accreditation. That being said, I have no knowledge regarding the specific situation surrounding Ponce's probation, either good or bad. I'd look into it before I commit (anyone else with better knowledge is free to chime in).

I know of two people who have already gone to Ponce for an interview about 2 weeks ago(both of them are from PR) :)

good luck ;-)

Has anyone heard of any recent interview invitations??

hola,

Acabo de obtener una invitacion para una entrevista y soy aplicante fuera del estado. Al parecer las entrevistas para aplicantes fuera de puerto rico acaban de iniciar almenos eso fue lo que me dijeron cuando llame a Ponce.

hola,

Acabo de obtener una invitacion para una entrevista y soy aplicante fuera del estado. Al parecer las entrevistas para aplicantes fuera de puerto rico acaban de iniciar almenos eso fue lo que me dijeron cuando llame a Ponce.

Éxito en Su entrevista, para cuando es

gracias, es para finales de este mes...

Hi guys,

has anybody been accepted?

accepted!! received the e-mail today, good luck to everyone!

Congratulations md1489 and makeupnmedicine !!!! How exciting :)

I just notified PSM that I will be going.. what about you makeupnmedicine?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I received an interview scheduled for the end of the month. I have a few questions about the interview itself if anyone who recently interviewed could answer them for me.

1. Was the interview predominantly in Spanish or English?
2. Was it a group interview? One-on-one?
3. What types of questions did they ask?
4. Did they try to intimidate by focusing on the bad areas of your application?
5. Whichever parts of the interview were in Spanish, did they try to use uncommon words and phrases, which normally one wouldn't use, but used here just to test your knowledge of the language?
6. How did you prepare for the interview?
7. Any suggestions or info you'd think I'll need to know?

I find myself having a hard time understanding the Caribbean accent (mainly because I'm used to Spain Spanish), do you think this will really hurt me?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I received an interview scheduled for the end of the month. I have a few questions about the interview itself if anyone who recently interviewed could answer them for me.

1. Was the interview predominantly in Spanish or English?
2. Was it a group interview? One-on-one?
3. What types of questions did they ask?
4. Did they try to intimidate by focusing on the bad areas of your application?
5. Whichever parts of the interview were in Spanish, did they try to use uncommon words and phrases, which normally one wouldn't use, but used here just to test your knowledge of the language?
6. How did you prepare for the interview?
7. Any suggestions or info you'd think I'll need to know?

I find myself having a hard time understanding the Caribbean accent (mainly because I'm used to Spain Spanish), do you think this will really hurt me?

I had two one-on-one interviews, the first one was in english, the other one in spanish.. each interview lasted approximately 30-45min.. Some of the questions that I remember were the following: What do you think about the US healthcare reform? what do you think of the new law in Arizona about immigration? Why do you want to come to Puerto rico and not stay in your state where the cost for medical school its probably cheaper (i'm from texas)? What science courses did you take, and which classes did you like the most? Tell me about yourself? tell about your family? .. these are some of the questions, not all... To be honest the interviewers were very kind and more than an interview was a conversation where we would exchange our opinions on certain subjects... I did not feel they tried to intimidate me at any moment; however, they did asked me if I dropped any courses during college... I tried to answer most of these questions orally, http://www.medschoolcoach.com/admissionstipsblog/2010/07/sample-medical-school-interview-questions/ in english and spanish and then i woud do mock interviews with a friend, obviously you won't be asked most of these questions but i think that if you are able to answer them all you will be more than prepared.. Don't stress too much, just be sure to show your interest for this medical school and always be professional... hope this info helps.. good luck!!

i just recieved an interview invite for 3-29. But i am a main lander and it will cost me close to a thousand dollars to fly and stay there. I was wondering if any one knows if they make exceptions and allow me to meet with an alumni or someone in the mainland?

I bought my ticket on delta and it cost me $484 and I'm from Detroit, which is in the middle of their flight routes to PR. I'm also going to stay in Hostels, which is more affordable. It will not cost you a thousand man, if you shop right. Private message me if you need more details. oh ya, congrats on your interview, I have mine on the 27th. hope it goes well for the both of us.

I did on Monday! Have you started to look at housing? I have tried but can't seem to find much on the internet.

Hey, did you receive the email today from PSM about the housing list? There a couple of good choices there for housing.
Also, if you go to this website: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Rentals.asp and search for rentals in Ponce, there are some other choices that aren't on the list sent by the school. That's where I found the apartment where I'm going to stay.

BTW, I have been to a couple of the places on the list sent by the school when I was searching for apartments so I'd be more than happy to give info about those, just PM me.

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.