2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here too guys! :)

Best of luck everyone! I want some of that state love too!

Can any current students talk about the program and what they like about it? Like how is it structured (more lecture time/PBL/independent study), what a typical weekly schedule looks like, etc?

and can someone also talk about residency/match results and placement?

what GPA cum and sci and MCAT score is usually sufficient to get an interview at CMS? Because in the end, it's a numbers game everywhere and subjective stuff plays a minor role but greater role in the interview...

I noticed that UIC and Rush are right next to each other, do the 2 schools share a lot of resources?

No most of the private and state medical schools have their own facilities except many hospitals will be shared I believe in regards to rotations but I know some schools have set hospitals like NorthShore Hospitals throughout the suburbs are affiliated with UChicago and that's how some hospitals are in the city too

because it's a public school and the only public school in IL besides Southern (significant regional bias) so that's why I get some in-state loving:)

Every state offers in-state lower tuition so whatever residence you have will let you know which school and I think CA and NY have multiple public schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what to expect for secondary questions? Anyone know what they were last year?

does UoI screen? I just got an email today about the status page.

Received the same e-mail as well. We should be getting the secondary shortly.

yeah i got the same email. don't really know what the point was if the secondary wasnt even in it

I received the email today. No secondary info as of yet.

I received the email today. No secondary info as of yet.

I inquired about when they would send secondary applications and was told that it would be a few weeks from now--mid to late July would be my guess.

does anyone's status say:

"Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendation(s): * received from AMCAS, expecting a total of *, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-"

obviously the stars (*) represent numbers. should i call or is this pretty standard?

does anyone's status say:

"Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendation(s): * received from AMCAS, expecting a total of *, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-"

obviously the stars (*) represent numbers. should i call or is this pretty standard?

Mine says the same thing. I assume the secondary has not been released yet

Do applicants have any control over assignment to either the Chicago or Urbana campus?
Thanks

omg I didn't know this...I would rather not go to med school than go to the middle of no where.

omg I didn't know this...I would rather not go to med school than go to the middle of no where.

I am familiar with the program, and I graduated from U of I Champaign Urbana. Just to let people know. Champaign-Urbana is a cool place, and not so "middle of no where" as many would guess. Its no chicago, but I think it'll surprise a lot of people. The Champaign and Urbana downtowns offers great night life and 5 star dining. There are always really cool events going on in and around campus, and it offers a lot of city and farm charm.

I would rather go to Chicago also, but if they gave me the Champaign route, I wouldn't think twice.

Do applicants have any control over assignment to either the Chicago or Urbana campus?
Thanks
You get a choice in your placement assignment when you get accepted (they send you a form to fill out asking what campus you would like to be on)-but if you are a late acceptance and Chicago has filled up, you won't have a say.

The sooner you get accepted, the better your chance.

But don't forget in Champaign-Urbana, there is a Jimmy John's on every block!

and hai! I will be attending UIC this fall, and I'll try to answer questions. UIC was not my first choice - but the students seem awesome and well, the financial incentive to go there instead of a more expensive school won out. Oh, and the two physicians that have made a big impact on my life are faculty there. Therefore, I'm assuming that the faculty at UIC is excellent... which makes up for the run-down facilities

Received the secondary a little bit ago

Just got the secondary as well! Just curious - what is the screening for secondaries here? Anyone know? Is it just a low GPA/MCAT screen, or more than that? I remember reading somewhere that they only send secondaries to students they are seriously considering, but I have no idea what that means.

Can someone post the questions please? Thanks!

Got the secondary this morning. Does anyone know if they actually screen?

Got the secondary this morning. Does anyone know if they actually screen?

They have a minimal MCAT/GPA screen.

And if you could post the essay questions, that'd be great!

I got the initial email with the link to check my status on 6/29 if that helps anyone. I'll post the essays (if someone doesn't get to it before me) as soon as I get onto a computer and not my iPod!

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
(Do not exceed 250 words)
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

Pretty easy. Thanks!

Pretty easy. Thanks!

Yup, didn't change from last year. I have these pre-written so I'm just aching to get something in my inbox, but know it won't be until tomorrow. Ah well, it's only the end result that matters, right? lol

i'm flooded with 6 secondaries!!! ahhh!!!!1

Just got the secondary as well! Just curious - what is the screening for secondaries here? Anyone know? Is it just a low GPA/MCAT screen, or more than that? I remember reading somewhere that they only send secondaries to students they are seriously considering, but I have no idea what that means.
I'm pretty sure UIC does NOT screen applicants before sending them secondaries.

I know SIU does... but I'm pretty sure everyone gets a UIC secondary. Atleast, there was no mention of that last year on the SDN thread when I applied.

EDIT: Looking at the site they do say that they don't send secondaries to people that they aren't seriously considering for admissions... but I don't think alot of students get screened out. And I don't know if it is connected to low GPA or MCAT.

For the Employment History section, does that mean paid employment only? Because there is a section for all extra-curriculars... but this summer I work 40 hrs a week as an un-paid intern, so I'd like to include that as employment. What do you all think? :cool:

Why are we listing activities, coursework, and employment again?

Oh redundancy…

For the Employment History section, does that mean paid employment only? Because there is a section for all extra-curriculars... but this summer I work 40 hrs a week as an un-paid intern, so I'd like to include that as employment. What do you all think? :cool:

I interpreted employment as paid and unpaid work as extracurricular/volunteer

does UIC screen or no? Because someone told me they look for 7 or 8 minimum MCAT subsection and composite of 26??

I'm very worried because this was a UIC GPPA student/UIC medical student now.

Status
Not open for further replies.