2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who's actually went from being reviewed, to has been reviewed, to is being reviewed? Everyone seems to have mistaken themselves lol.

For what it's worth, mine did. Not saying that I think it means anything. Two days and counting of being "in review" after having the has been reviewed status, so we'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, mine did. Not saying that I think it means anything. Two days and counting of being "in review" after having the has been reviewed status, so we'll see.

Same here.

So I submitted on the 3rd of July, but hadn't checked my status page 'til today. Thus, I'm not sure what (if any) changes it went through, but mine reads:

"Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available.

Please email the Admissions Office if you have any questions."

OOS, 3.8/42, not sure if this is what everybody else is seeing or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted on the 3rd of July, but hadn't checked my status page 'til today. Thus, I'm not sure what (if any) changes it went through, but mine reads:

"Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available.

Please email the Admissions Office if you have any questions."

OOS, 3.8/42, not sure if this is what everybody else is seeing or not...

Jesus.

Well, I have officially gone from "is being reviewed" to "has been reviewed." Now if the rumors are true, I'm hoping to go back to "is being reviewed."

Anyone know when Baylor usually sends out their first interview invites?

Well, I have officially gone from "is being reviewed" to "has been reviewed." Now if the rumors are true, I'm hoping to go back to "is being reviewed."

I think usually in early August. But someone on this thread said that they are starting to interview in August this year, so in that case I would guess late this week or early next week.

Last year the first invite went out August 3rd.

I'm OOS anyways, so this is a long shot for me regardless, but hope to get my secondary in this week. How early do you need to be in to get a shot at that first round of invites?

I was wondering what y'all thought they were looking for in the essay...I mean are we writing why we want to go to Baylor or are we expanding our personal statement? I seriously despise these open ended essay prompts (every single school I am applying to that has sent a secondary back has a similar prompt).
Or could this potentially be only for people who need to explain something that is flawed in their application like a low grade, etc. and is not actually necessary to complete?

Also, when did everyone submit your AMCAS application?... My adviser told me that it would be best to wait until she sent out our letters of recommendation (which she didn't send out until a week and a half ago) so I'm probably significantly far behind or no?

One last question, does anyone know the interview format that Baylor uses now? (ie. have they switched to the panel type where you go, talk to someone for a few minutes then move on to someone else and repeat for 5-10 interviewers)

I was wondering what y'all thought they were looking for in the essay...I mean are we writing why we want to go to Baylor or are we expanding our personal statement? I seriously despise these open ended essay prompts (every single school I am applying to that has sent a secondary back has a similar prompt).
Or could this potentially be only for people who need to explain something that is flawed in their application like a low grade, etc. and is not actually necessary to complete?

Also, when did everyone submit your AMCAS application?... My adviser told me that it would be best to wait until she sent out our letters of recommendation (which she didn't send out until a week and a half ago) so I'm probably significantly far behind or no?

One last question, does anyone know the interview format that Baylor uses now? (ie. have they switched to the panel type where you go, talk to someone for a few minutes then move on to someone else and repeat for 5-10 interviewers)
Since it was open-ended I just wrote something interesting about myself that wasn't on my primary. I submitted my amcas on 6/18 and I got the secondary invite and submitted on 7/16. Good luck!

you should send out your application as soon as you have completed it. baylor wont even look at your amcas application until you complete your secondary. so submit your primary/amcas one already. once you submit your secondary, then BCM will wait to review your application until it is complete (including having your letters of rec)....so make sure those letters get sent out asap

and baylor has two interviews, each lasting for no more than 30 minutes (they're capped at that). typically, it is one interview with a faculty member and one with a medical student, both of which carry equal weight. it is possible that you interview with two faculty members instead, however.

Since it was open-ended I just wrote something interesting about myself that wasn't on my primary. I submitted my amcas on 6/18 and I got the secondary invite and submitted on 7/16. Good luck!

I guess I'll just write about working for habitat for humanity...as it was the end of the summer when I started, I did not work very long (so I did not include it in my AMCAS) but still have enough to write an experience essay.

Anyway, QQ. How many work/activities did everyone list?...I was told quality over quantity and only put 12 instead of 15 (but I did 3 clubs together).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, QQ. How many work/activities did everyone list?...I was told quality over quantity and only put 12 instead of 15 (but I did 3 clubs together).

I had 15 including a few honors, but only because I felt all of them were significant in how they impacted me and/or strengthened my passions.

I listed 12 as well but grouped some stuff together such as awards and hobbies.

Just tried to login to check my status and got this error:

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

Then it showed me a whole bunch of code where the error occurred...anyone else get this?

EDIT: nevermind, it works now...still on "has been" :(

Last edited:
Just tried to login to check my status and got this error:

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

Then it showed me a whole bunch of code where the error occurred...anyone else get this?

EDIT: nevermind, it works now...still on "has been" :(

I'm sick of feeling like a has been.

I did have the "is being, to has been, to is being reviewed" happen to me.

And the notification was by email.

Best of luck to everybody else!

Me too! just got an interview invite via e-mai!! :)

Congrats to everyone who landed interviews today!!! :thumbup:

Anyone OOS manage to nab one of them? :p

Congrats! When did you guys submit your secondary?

interview invite! 3.7, 36, instate. submitted the secondary 7/11 and my status changed last tuesday!

congrats everyone! did you guys choose your days?

My date is 8/24. They didn't give us a choice but on the confirmation there was an option to have someone from admissions call you to reschedule.

My date is 8/24. They didn't give us a choice but on the confirmation there was an option to have someone from admissions call you to reschedule.

Wow thats early. Good luck!

Looks like all in-staters so far. Any OOS have their profiles changed to "is being reviewed" and/or received IIs?

Looks like all in-staters so far. Any OOS have their profiles changed to "is being reviewed" and/or received IIs?
oos and still in "has been". Hoping for that status change though

Looks like us OOSers are all in the same boat...that's encouraging I guess

I got an interview invite today. OOS, 3.9 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, 34O. Interview confirmed for 8/24!

I got an interview invite today. OOS, 3.9 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, 34O. Interview confirmed for 8/24!
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you get the status change? And when did you submit the secondary?

That throws the oos theory out the window. Anyone know how often interviews will be offered?

congrats to all those who have received interviews!

OOS and got an interview today - sooo excited! Anyways, I had the "is being reviewed" status, so I do actually think you can elucidate your true status from that status.

Interview invite at midnight. So excited. I do have the "is being reviewed" status, but I did not check it regularly enough to know whether it changed from "is being" to "has been" and back to "is being" again or not.

Got my interview invite at 4:54AM!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I'm shocked honestly and super excited. This is awesome

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you get the status change? And when did you submit the secondary?

Thanks! I don't think my status changed; it just says "Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available." And I submitted the secondary on July 9th.

Congrats to everyone else with interviews and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Also got an invite on the 25th! Instate, 3.9/3.9/34Q, Status did change

The invite on the BCM website says a significant other can also attend all general sessions. I'd really like to bring my wife... does anyone know how common it is for an interviewee to actually bring their SO? Would it be awkward?

The invite on the BCM website says a significant other can also attend all general sessions. I'd really like to bring my wife... does anyone know how common it is for an interviewee to actually bring their SO? Would it be awkward?

Most people don't bring anyone, but it wouldn't be bad if you did. Just make sure that when y'all are together you don't ignore everyone around you. Admissions folks are going to be watching, so make sure you appear sociable. It might be a little awkward for her while you're in your interviews, she might not have anything to do but wander around.

Also got an invite on the 25th! Instate, 3.9/3.9/34Q, Status did change

I think my fiancé is going to come so if your interview is 8/24 you won't be the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.