2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. The 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum, big fan or not? Seems like a good route to me

Big fan. Baylor has had the 1.5 curriculum for a long time and I think they do it well. Lots of flexibility.

3. Any advice on the secondary or interview? Things that we should look out for, things to be sure to mention?

You will most likely have 2 interviews--probably one with a student and one with a faculty (MD or PhD). It's a little odd, but you have these score sheets that they literally check off as soon as you have left the room. You will probably get to see the sheets earlier in the day, so you can use that as a chance to see what the interviewers are "grading" you on.

Members don't see this ad.

Big fan. Baylor has had the 1.5 curriculum for a long time and I think they do it well. Lots of flexibility.

You will most likely have 2 interviews--probably one with a student and one with a faculty (MD or PhD). It's a little odd, but you have these score sheets that they literally check off as soon as you have left the room. You will probably get to see the sheets earlier in the day, so you can use that as a chance to see what the interviewers are "grading" you on.

Do you remember any of the categories that are scored off the top of your head? Just curious

Do you remember any of the categories that are scored off the top of your head? Just curious

If I remember correctly it's on a scale of 1-10 or 1-5 and then they mark each category and maybe add comments.

I don't remember the categories specifically but I think they were pretty standard like "ability to communicate" etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lucky you. Mine's still the same :(

Would you mind sharing your stats and whether you're IS or OOS?

I am in state, 36M and 3.74sgpa 3.72cgpa. AMCAS transmitted on 7/20 and I submitted the secondary about a week prior to that.

If I remember correctly it's on a scale of 1-10 or 1-5 and then they mark each category and maybe add comments.

I don't remember the categories specifically but I think they were pretty standard like "ability to communicate" etc.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Mine just got switched back from "has been reviewed" to "is being reviewed". This follows the same trend as the first round of invites where one person said they were switched the Tuesday before getting an invite.

i hope you're right! Mine is "is being reviewed" now. I'm getting so nervous about all of this.

The school does indeed look incredible! I do have a few questions, could PM you if you like but figure others wouldn't mind the insight as well

1. Do you live within the "Texas Medical Campus"? I only know the area by reputation as I am from OOS, but it seems like a large area with few housing options....

2. The 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum, big fan or not? Seems like a good route to me

3. Any advice on the secondary or interview? Things that we should look out for, things to be sure to mention?

1) Texas Medical Campus? eh...I live JUST outside the medical center...close enough to where i'll say i live in the medical center (it's like a 5 minute drive or 5-8 minute metro rail ride in). I mean, I could see my apartment complex from the OR today at TCH...does that count? lol

2) HUGE fan. 6 months less of pre-clinicals/basic sciences/lectures and potentially more months spent seeing patients/on clinics! Not to mention, you get to do a whole year of rotations prior to taking the STEP 1, which I hear is a huge advantage. Also, with those 6 months, there is more flexibility with taking months off for whatever you want down the road (research, going abroad, electives,...sitting on your cough and recovering from your surgery rotation lol)

3) Secondary and interview.....do you secondary in a timely fashion. it's important to apply early to ALL schools, not just baylor. the earlier you can get it out the better. no real trick to the BCM one. the interviews are very chill. 2 interviews, generally 1 medical student and 1 faculty member (MD, PhD, other) with each lasting no more than 30 minutes and carrying EQUAL weight. very chill though. be yourself :)

Yeah, I can't remember the exact numerical scale but the categories were something like ability to communicate, motivation for going into medicine, community service involvement, etc. They will give you the rubric sheet in your interview folder when you arrive, and then you hand a copy to your interviewer to fill out. So you can look over everything before the interview.

Question to the current students at BCM.
How is BCM with internationals?
I just submitted my supplemental app, and I am worried I just wasted time and money, because apparently they give the supplemental to everyone, and they love instate more than out of state or even worse INTERNATIONAL!! hahaha...

help please?? :)

PS. good luck to everyone applying here!

Submitted! Baylor is a long shot for me, but I would absolutely go here if i get accepted. Does Baylor place a huge importance on research like Pritzker or Duke?

1) Texas Medical Campus? eh...I live JUST outside the medical center...close enough to where i'll say i live in the medical center (it's like a 5 minute drive or 5-8 minute metro rail ride in). I mean, I could see my apartment complex from the OR today at TCH...does that count? lol

2) HUGE fan. 6 months less of pre-clinicals/basic sciences/lectures and potentially more months spent seeing patients/on clinics! Not to mention, you get to do a whole year of rotations prior to taking the STEP 1, which I hear is a huge advantage. Also, with those 6 months, there is more flexibility with taking months off for whatever you want down the road (research, going abroad, electives,...sitting on your cough and recovering from your surgery rotation lol)

3) Secondary and interview.....do you secondary in a timely fashion. it's important to apply early to ALL schools, not just baylor. the earlier you can get it out the better. no real trick to the BCM one. the interviews are very chill. 2 interviews, generally 1 medical student and 1 faculty member (MD, PhD, other) with each lasting no more than 30 minutes and carrying EQUAL weight. very chill though. be yourself :)

Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it! Got the interview coming up in Septemeber and could not be more excited for it!

Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it! Got the interview coming up in Septemeber and could not be more excited for it!

when did you submit the secondary if you don't mind me asking

Members don't see this ad :)
On the secondary, will it look weird if we don't put the ACT/SAT scores?

I only took the ACT and scored a "meh" 31. I'm thinking about not including it at all. Thoughts?

On the secondary, will it look weird if we don't put the ACT/SAT scores?

I only took the ACT and scored a "meh" 31. I'm thinking about not including it at all. Thoughts?

I don't believe it even appears on your application. It's entirely for survey purposes. That's why it's not required.

The SAT/ACT do appear on your app in fine print. I've never seen it used by the adcom. It basically can't hold any weight, because the way those tests are scaled has changed. I took the SAT when the max score was 1600...

Received the interview invite this afternoon for 9/7! I changed back to the "is being reviewed" status sometime on Monday, and was complete around the third week of July. I really like this school, so looking forward to it!

Received the interview invite this afternoon for 9/7! I changed back to the "is being reviewed" status sometime on Monday, and was complete around the third week of July. I really like this school, so looking forward to it!

Same!

Was a little disappointed that they didn't give any interview date options, though :lame:

Anyone know about how many people interview on each day?

Also, this isn't a Baylor-specific question, but their interview page says: "Tours are extensive with considerable walking. Plan to dress comfortably after interviews or bring comfortable shoes." Are you guys planning on taking a spare pair of shoes with you to interviews with long tours?

Also, this isn't a Baylor-specific question, but their interview page says: "Tours are extensive with considerable walking. Plan to dress comfortably after interviews or bring comfortable shoes." Are you guys planning on taking a spare pair of shoes with you to interviews with long tours?

My dress shoes are relatively comfortable so I was just planing on wearing them for all the tours. Unless we end up having to jog five miles I think I will be ok.

Anyone know about how many people interview on each day?

about 50 per day

and if you're a girl and wear heals, i'd bring some walking shoes b/c you're gonna be do some decent walking through the medical center (remember, this is the largest medical center in the world).

Does anyone know what percentage of people manage to get to stay with a student overnight on their interview date? I know they say book a hotel anyways but then do you just cancel like a week before if you get the deal?

just switched to "is being reviewed". Fingers crossed!

My status is now has been reviewed. i dunno what to expect now.

Does anyone know what percentage of people manage to get to stay with a student overnight on their interview date? I know they say book a hotel anyways but then do you just cancel like a week before if you get the deal?

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know how good the public busing system is from Hobby to campus (like the 73 or something)? I'm hoping to minimize costs, and a taxi/shuttle wouldn't be a good place to start.

My status is now has been reviewed. i dunno what to expect now.
It changed on Saturday or Friday?

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know how good the public busing system is from Hobby to campus (like the 73 or something)? I'm hoping to minimize costs, and a taxi/shuttle wouldn't be a good place to start.
I would not take the Bus. It's pretty good, but you would most certainly get either lost or overly stressed out trying to figure it out if you're not familiar with it.

Taxi would be your best/safest bet, although not the cheapest option.

Have you seen this:http://www.fly2houston.com/hou-Ground-Transportation

It changed on Saturday or Friday?

I would not take the Bus. It's pretty good, but you would most certainly get either lost or overly stressed out trying to figure it out if you're not familiar with it.

Taxi would be your best/safest bet, although not the cheapest option.

Have you seen this:http://www.fly2houston.com/hou-Ground-Transportation

not sure. It had to have changed some time between wednesday and saturday because wednesday was the last time I checked it.

Thanks for the link! I've seen it, but I'll give it some more consideration.

Hey neurologic I'm trying to find a bus too, the 73 seems fairly simple...you just get on at the 73 stop at Baylor and get off at the Airport.
Are you planning to book hotels beforehand and then cancel or wait until you hear back from the student host program and then book if you need to?

Yeah that had been the bus I was looking at, and after looking at those shuttle prices, it seems like the best thing to do.

As for hotels, I know BCM recommends reserving a hotel room just in case, but I don't think I'm going to unless I find out a Baylor student can't take me. I assume there'll still be vacancy at that time, so that's not something I'm terribly worried about.

I stayed at Extended Stay Deluxe when I interviewed. They have a free shuttle with a stop right in front of Baylor. It was reasonably priced and very close, if anyone winds up needing a hotel.

Also, BCM is awesome! I hope to meet some of you on your interview days. :)

I stayed at Extended Stay Deluxe when I interviewed. They have a free shuttle with a stop right in front of Baylor. It was reasonably priced and very close, if anyone winds up needing a hotel.

Also, BCM is awesome! I hope to meet some of you on your interview days. :)

Thanks for the hotel suggestion, will look into that one!

I received an interview invite to Baylor for September 7th. I plan on flying in that morning as it is the cheapest flight. I have a question for anyone familiar with the Houston area. If my flight arrives at Hobby at 9:50am will that leave me with enough time to reach Baylor by 11 or 11:30 via taxi? Thank you,

I received an interview invite to Baylor for September 7th. I plan on flying in that morning as it is the cheapest flight. I have a question for anyone familiar with the Houston area. If my flight arrives at Hobby at 9:50am will that leave me with enough time to reach Baylor by 11 or 11:30 via taxi? Thank you,

It depends, if you take a regular taxi yes. If you try the super shuttle you may not get there on time. It's only about a 30 min drive though.

Agree with "tonguetalker's" answer...you would arrive post rush hour. Oddly, it can take a bit longer to get back to Hobby because an exit toward Hobby backs up sometimes, but if your flight is on time, allowing an hour+ on arrival is fine. Expect 1 student and 1 M.D. interview, which count equally...low pressure. Good luck! BCM is the BoMb! :luck:

status changed to "has been reviewed" today. now the waiting game begins :xf:

My status has been "has been reviewed" for weeks. Isn't the "is being reviewed" status the one that means something is happening?

My status has been "has been reviewed" for weeks. Isn't the "is being reviewed" status the one that means something is happening?

"is being reviewed" would probably mean they were currently looking at it. "Has been reviewed" probably means someone has already looked at it, and if you haven't gotten an invite, is either pending further review or a rejection. That's what I would assume. I'm also stuck at:

tHlnb.png

"is being reviewed" would probably mean they were currently looking at it. "Has been reviewed" probably means someone has already looked at it, and if you haven't gotten an invite, is either pending further review or a rejection. That's what I would assume. I'm also stuck at:

But if it goes back to "is being reviewed" it means you are about to get an II. That's what you really want!

^^ I sure hope you are right. Mine changed back to "is being reviewed" on Saturday after having the "has been" status for almost 2 weeks... Please show some interview love this week, Baylor! I would love to go to BCM.

Depressing! My status hasn't changed for a month.

^^ I sure hope you are right. Mine changed back to "is being reviewed" on Saturday after having the "has been" status for almost 2 weeks... Please show some interview love this week, Baylor! I would love to go to BCM.

So jealous!

Depressing! My status hasn't changed for a month.

Me too :(

What are your stats, if you don't mind telling?

I would love to go to BCM too, but this is probably the least likely of all schools to accept me, which is impressive, but mostly since I'm OOS. However, I couldn't talk myself out of applying here! I think I would love it.

FWIW, I am also at "Has Been Reviewed"

Status
Not open for further replies.