2012-2013 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?
Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.

Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is another one of my top choices. I hope Cornell loves me back!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to about 5 schools in NY and Cornell is going to be a long stretch for me, but I might as well try :p

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Anyone have any idea what's the naxmimum number of LOR's they take? On their site, they said 2 letter writers that know you well, but additional letters in research are also encouraged to be submitted. So what is the maximum #'s of LORs?

Anyone have any idea what's the naxmimum number of LOR's they take? On their site, they said 2 letter writers that know you well, but additional letters in research are also encouraged to be submitted. So what is the maximum #'s of LORs?

Per the MSAR.

Minimum LORs = 2
Maximum LORs = 10

Cornell is a great school. My sister is currently there trying to finish up her undergrad. It would be cool if I got into their med school and if she did too. However, I am not going to lie, my GPA is struggling quite a bit. I am hoping to get good scores on my MCAT to offset my GPA a bit. Actually I am kind of nervous about my scores since I am going to be getting them some time today :scared: haha so wish me luck. But if worse comes to worse, I have braced myself for possibly re-taking the MCAT some time in July or August. Anyways, medical students who attend Cornell's medical school or any other school haha give me some advice pretty please :) haha please and thank you. Take care everyone and good luck!

Long shot for me, too. You never know unless you try!

Cornell requires "two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature."

Anyone know if an English and a writing class would fulfill this requirement? I have taken social science and humanities courses but I did not list any of these on my AMCAS as ENGL (and not sure if any of them would count as writing-intensive)

Just received Cornell's secondary! Pretty long shot for me, but never hurts to try.

Sent from my iPhone

Can anyone post the latest MSAR admission stats for this school? Long shot here as well, just wana see how long :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell requires "two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature."

Anyone know if an English and a writing class would fulfill this requirement? I have taken social science and humanities courses but I did not list any of these on my AMCAS as ENGL (and not sure if any of them would count as writing-intensive)

Lol if they were Humanties or Social Science courses, then you shouldn't have listed them as English! If you did a great amount of writing for a course in the Humanities other than English, then you list it, I believe. At least that's what I'm doing. I'm using an English course which was very writing-intensive and a Psychology course in which we also did a lot of writing. In my University, they define "Writing intensive" to mean at least 15 pages or more of writing--exclusive of exams.

I have not taken the 2nd semester of organic chemistry yet since I will be taking it during the upcoming semester. I know their website states that we have to finish the requirements before January 31 of the year in which we seek admissions. But does anyone (maybe any current or recently accepted students) know whether it will hurt my chances that I haven't taken ochem 2nd semester? Once I have taken it, should I send them an update letter with my grade?

Submitted! Pretty straight forward secondary, although the added question that wasnt there last year threw me off a bit. Good thing i had a similar answer pre-written for another school. 3 out of 19 done phew!

Can anyone post the latest MSAR admission stats for this school? Long shot here as well, just wana see how long :D

Overall GPA: 10%: 3.56, Median: 3.83, 90%: 3.97
Science GPA: 10%: 3.53, Median: 3.83, 90%: 4.00
MCAT: 10%: 32, Median: 36, 90%: 39
Non-medical Community Service: 67%
Medical Community Service: 90%
Research: 96%

They ask for letters from 2-3 most relevant sources...... If I send a letter packet to Cornell, should I make it a maximum of 3 letters, and not send them a packet with 4-5 letters?

What was 10% for the BS score if you don't mind?

Overall GPA: 10%: 3.56, Median: 3.83, 90%: 3.97
Science GPA: 10%: 3.53, Median: 3.83, 90%: 4.00
MCAT: 10%: 32, Median: 36, 90%: 39
Non-medical Community Service: 67%
Medical Community Service: 90%
Research: 96%

Does anyone else have the problem where they can't fit in the full course name or course number?

Should I just put in the number and leave out the BIOS/PHYS/CHEM part of it?

argh. and how should one put in AP credit? (leave the course number blank? and I'm pretty sure the whole name i put in amcas won't fit. should I split it into 3?)

and.. this may only apply to me, but I got credit for AP bio (2 quarters worth), which placed me in a more advanced intro bio course. I've just been ignoring it and putting down the courses that I took in college, since most universities just want one year of bio (and I also have upper level bio). But the other intro bio path for bio majors at my college has 5 quarters.

anyway. Is that I'm doing fine? I just feel like it goes: nothing < AP credit < real courses with grades.

Does anyone else have the problem where they can't fit in the full course name or course number?

Should I just put in the number and leave out the BIOS/PHYS/CHEM part of it?

Yup. The instructions on the first page state that if you can't fit the entire course number then don't worry about it. I just put the number in and left out the subject prefixes.

If you cannot fit the entire course number in the space provided, do not worry. We have access to the complete academic record you entered on your AMCAS application; therefore it is not necessary to list all of your courses.

I applied despite only a 32R on the MCAT. I was a bit disappointed with the grade since I did better on practice tests but I chose not to retake. Knowing that the 10th percentile on BS was an 11 upsets me since I got a 10. I feel like I'm wasting my money on this secondary =[

I applied despite only a 32R on the MCAT. I was a bit disappointed with the grade since I did better on practice tests but I chose not to retake. Knowing that the 10th percentile on BS was an 11 upsets me since I got a 10. I feel like I'm wasting my money on this secondary =[

Never hurts to apply. You'll never know if you had a chance until you get that interview/rejection. And the money that you lose if you receive a rejection is minuscule in comparison to the money that you will dish out for the rest of the season lol. Oh and their 10th percentile for VR is a 9 and I score a 7, so I'm well below the 10th percentile. :(

Is it true that Cornell does not have rolling admissions.

I heard they don't hand out any acceptances until after they have interviewed everyone, around January or February. Can any current students or people who interviewed last year confirm. I'm getting lazy on my secondaries and feel like i can put this one off for a few weeks :p

Is it true that Cornell does not have rolling admissions.

I heard they don't hand out any acceptances until after they have interviewed everyone, around January or February. Can any current students or people who interviewed last year confirm. I'm getting lazy on my secondaries and feel like i can put this one off for a few weeks :p

The information page you read before starting the Secondary confirms this. They say they are non-rolling and make decisions in March.

I'm in pretty much the same situation! So much of this process is a crapshoot...therefore, it's worth a shot, as long as you are also applying to some schools with averages more in line with yours!

I'm in pretty much the same situation! So much of this process is a crapshoot...therefore, it's worth a shot, as long as you are also applying to some schools with averages more in line with yours!

Yeah I definitely am! Also, is everyone submitting secondaries to schools with rolling apps first, and putting schools like this one on hold? And does anyone want to offer their insight on how they answered the questions?

I know how you guys are feeling. I am in love with this school, but it is a huge reach for me. I have a low verbal too, and my overall MCAT doesn't meet their average either.

Alas...one can dream. :oops:

Hi guys, I have a question about this

If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

If i'm going to be a senior in college, I don't have to answer this question?

I did a literal face palm when I read that Cornell does not do rolling submissions. Not only do I feel it makes my chances weaker since my stats (GPA) are below the average, I realized I've been "wasting" my time with the app when I could've been working on secondaries from schools that are rolling. SMH @ myself for not doing research.

I did a literal face palm when I read that Cornell does not do rolling submissions. Not only do I feel it makes my chances weaker since my stats (GPA) are below the average, I realized I've been "wasting" my time with the app when I could've been working on secondaries from schools that are rolling. SMH @ myself for not doing research.

This is probably one of the easiest secondaries I've seen. How much time have you really wasted on it?

This is probably one of the easiest secondaries I've seen. How much time have you really wasted on it?

Touche, still I could've used those three-four hours on other apps! I think I'm madder that if I had realized it wasn't rolling I would not have picked Cornell to be one of my reach schools.

From some other thread: Many of the top tier institutions extend acceptances at around the mid-March mark including Columbia, Yale, Penn, Cornell. Other schools such as BU also do this.

That said there is no such thing as true non-rolling, all of these schools still review applications as they come and dish out interviews on a rolling basis. It is always better to submit early than late.

Just a quick question... does this school send out a secondary once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?

Just a quick question... does this school send out a secondary once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?

no screen

Awesome, do they send the secondaries prior to AMCAS primary verification?... I am still waiting to be verified and just wondering if I should have already received a secondary?

Not sure. I was verified on June 6th.

anyone having any luck formatting paragraphs? I have a couple of lines of space between mine, but the separation is not showing up on the summary page, which is how I am assuming adcoms view it

It should work, I had something similar and they accepted it. You have to send them an email telling them you want that class to be considered for the English requirement. The admissions people at Cornell are actually really nice, so don't be afraid to give them a call!:)

They ask for letters from 2-3 most relevant sources...... If I send a letter packet to Cornell, should I make it a maximum of 3 letters, and not send them a packet with 4-5 letters?

You should be ok with 4-5. My packet had 6 letters, and it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.