2012-2013 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all applicants! The TeamLEAD session was great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck this time!!

What did you do differently this time for apps? It seems like march notice and may application opening doesnt give much time unless you had planned the year already for worst case scenario. If you dont want to elaborate, i wont press you :)
I completely agree. It seems you should plan one year ahead in case you are not successful and wish to apply again in next round. 56/1000+ applicants is no easy fight. I believe some reapplicants had provided some insights in last year's thread.

Thanks! I took MCAT again to boost my grades. That was all I did different this time. Good luck to us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an offer from Duke-NUS!!

Super ecstatic! I'm sure the euphoria will last for a good while :D

Good luck to the rest of the applicants on this thread! Hope to see you all when school begins.

congrats ian :) really happy for you!

/startspanicking

haha yeah the one telling you "stories".

its 12 am and im having a mini (big) panic attack. damnit.

haha yeah the one telling you "stories".

its 12 am and im having a mini (big) panic attack. damnit.

>< dont freak out! it probably means results will be out soon so you wont have to wait until later. Good luck with everything! Let me know if you need help with anything!

CONGRATS Ian! When did you hear from them? :)

I heard yesterday in the evening via email. Got home from work, checked my phone and saw it :)

I just got an offer from Duke-NUS!!

Super ecstatic! I'm sure the euphoria will last for a good while :D

Good luck to the rest of the applicants on this thread! Hope to see you all when school begins.
Really happy for you, your hard work has paid off. I guess they are sending off the acceptance mails to all the early applicants now. The rest of us must hang in tight.

Really happy for you, your hard work has paid off. I guess they are sending off the acceptance mails to all the early applicants now. The rest of us must hang in tight.

Thanks SuperCJT!

Good luck with your apps.

I got an interview. They told me November 8, but they only gave me 5 days notice. They admitted it was very short notice. I asked for a date change and they gave me next available date: January 3

Members don't see this ad :)
you should go for the earlier one i think. Anyone here other than Ian who went for the previous interview and received news?

I thought about that, but I do not feel 100% prepared for it and since I'm flying from Jamaica, i definitely have to consider airfare costs. Also I checked with them and they confirmed what someone had stated earlier: that it is rolling admissions in terms of interviews offered not really in terms of admissions decisions.

The only ones offered admission thus far are the ones who applied ED. I believe the RD ones will start hearing back in Feb-April

I know of one other person from my interview batch that got an offer for the 2013 intake.

good luck with your interview Sunliwes12! are you staying for a couple of days or just in-and-out for interview? seems to have a lot to do around there, although I couldn't tell you which ones are worth going to.

I'm not interviewing in Singapore. Interviewing in Durham at the Duke campus

Ohhh okay lol. I heard the Durham campus is really nice. I've never been tho.

arupaca - no news for me. /sadface

ian - mind revealing who? :)

arupaca - no news for me. /sadface

ian - mind revealing who? :)

haha I don't mind, but I dunno if he'll want his name revealed.

but i can describe what he looks like and should be easy to remember.

He's a tall caucasian guy. and if i remember, he was the only caucasian guy that day.

oh yeah i think i know who. he was in my group. quite a special name too :D what are your plans for the few months before school starts?

oh yeah i think i know who. he was in my group. quite a special name too :D what are your plans for the few months before school starts?

I'm still going to lab mon-fri. hopefully learn some useful stuff for the future. other than that I just chill at home, read some books, maybe last few weeks i'll visit some friends and go have fun.

i started some "preview" of the typical basic/clinical science material. kinda scared that it'll all be in 1 year, that's pretty intense. of course, not hardcore studying...i dont thk i can force myself to go through that pain..haha

hey guys. just wanted to give an update to those who are still waiting.
i went for the interview on oct 16 and have received my offer on oct 31.
good luck for everybody else!

Hello everyone :) Nice to meet all of you! I feel really bad about reading everything and not commenting or updating, especially when previous posts have helped calm some of my own anxiety.

I applied for ED, was interviewed in the first Applicant's Day, and was accepted three weeks later. Preparation for graduate medical school has been a long, tiring journey. Back then, the future seemed really bleak then and I was exhausted many times along the way. Now looking back, the perseverance was well worth it and I'm really grateful that things have worked out in the end. I'm currently looking forward to complete the rest of my degree (I'm an undergraduate at one of our local universities).

Good luck to everybody who's applying to Duke-NUS and stay strong! I sincerely wish you the very best and may the decisions be in your favour :)

Thanks for the updates! :)

I wonder if they sent out the acceptance letters all at once or in a staggered fashion. I applied for ED too. I guess it's a little less than 3 weeks since my interview...

Oh well Good luck everyone and congratulations to those who got in! :)

i'm not sure as to how they give out the acceptance offer but i remember one lady said that we would hear back within 6 weeks after interview and should you are no longer considered for ED, you would be informed that you are now placed in regular cycle pool.
so hang on there!

hey guys. just wanted to give an update to those who are still waiting.
i went for the interview on oct 16 and have received my offer on oct 31.
good luck for everybody else!

Hello everyone :) Nice to meet all of you! I feel really bad about reading everything and not commenting or updating, especially when previous posts have helped calm some of my own anxiety.

I applied for ED, was interviewed in the first Applicant's Day, and was accepted three weeks later. Preparation for graduate medical school has been a long, tiring journey. Back then, the future seemed really bleak then and I was exhausted many times along the way. Now looking back, the perseverance was well worth it and I'm really grateful that things have worked out in the end. I'm currently looking forward to complete the rest of my degree (I'm an undergraduate at one of our local universities).

Good luck to everybody who's applying to Duke-NUS and stay strong! I sincerely wish you the very best and may the decisions be in your favour :)

congrats! did you guys apply MD or MD/PhD?

congrats all :) tt makes 3 from oct 16 applicants day. hmm.

wrote an email to them to check on my transcript status and asked about my status too. "under active review". same as the bunch last year. yay to 6 months of waiting :D

Hi NSKhun, congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Something to share with everyone: I was informed that we'll be told if we are moved to the normal admission pool from ED. That will be made known to us some time in Dec.

Congrats to the people that were accepted already and good luck to the ones waiting. I will be attending the January 5th interview in San Francisco. If anyone will be doing the same, it would be great to meet you on the forum.

Hi guys,

I purchased quite a number of the MCAT books, wanted to apply for Duke-NUS medical school but withdraw application because of financial concerns. Most of them are relatively new, if you are interested in getting any of them, send me an sms at 9 one 9 zero five 2 zero 2.

For the books below, the number in the brackets are the price I bought them for.

MCAT Organic Chemistry 7th Edition (Brand New) $25(40)
1001 questions in MCAT Organic Chemistry (Some writing marks) $20(50)
MCAT Verbal Reasoning (Brand new) $30(50)
MCAT 101 passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning (Brand new) $50(80)
MCAT Biology (Some writing marks) $50(110)
1001 questions in MCAT Biology (Some markings) $30(70)
MCAT Chemistry (Brand new) $45(80)
1001 questions in MCAT Chemistry (Some markings) $20(50)
MCAT physics (brand new) $50(85)
1001 questions in MCAT physics (Some markings) $20(50)

Prices are negotiable and would give a discount if you want multiple titles.

Am I the only one who hasn't submitted yet? Omg.

I have been busy doing a project which would probably give me a poster and two publications. But my MCAT is tanking, which is why I haven't applied yet :oops:

Besides my professor/mentor is trying to lure me into doing more research as a master student.....

Gawd...

I have been busy doing a project which would probably give me a poster and two publications. But my MCAT is tanking, which is why I haven't applied yet :oops:

Besides my professor/mentor is trying to lure me into doing more research as a master student.....

Gawd...

Apply! Im sure they will let you update whatever additional info even after you submit your application. They have rolling interviews so i would think the sooner the better!

Yes. I suggest you apply ASAP. You can bring in your updates during your interview. They are already filling the January interviews of which there are only 2 (36 people total). After January they will offer a bunch of acceptances and then there is the March interview. I emailed them about this and they said the March interview is just to fill the last few spots. The other ~50-52 people are picked during ED and pre-Feb RD.

APPLY NOW!!!

I believe you are in the states right? So, only 2 January dates and 1 March date and the January dates are currently being filled.

Gawd...
Apply now. I haven't submitted either. Gonna do it soon.

sigh. It's disheartening to see your friends get into medical school while you still struggle. You are happy for them, but scared as to what your future holds if you do not get in.

sigh. It's disheartening to see your friends get into medical school while you still struggle. You are happy for them, but scared as to what your future holds if you do not get in.

Don't be distraught! It will merely be a small bump on your road to a successful career in medicine, if you persevere. There's plenty to learn about medicine outside of medical school. Sometimes in medical school you may be overwhelmed with medical knowledge and school stuff, and you may forget about the more intangible qualities of medicine...of life - such as perseverance, keeping an open-mind, planning ahead, learning outside of academics, etc. These are all important to becoming successful in life - and much more valuable than acceptance into medical school (not to take credit away from those who get in).

Not getting into medical school is an opportunity in itself, whether you take advantage of it or not. I was unsuccessful on my first try, but I think it has been a benefit - much greater than if I were accepted on my first try. It has helped me realize medicine is truly what I want to do, and "working harder" is not so much the "hard work" that I had perceived to be. A greater motivation and willingness to work even harder and smarter will carry you a long way, but it doesn't come easily (or maybe it does, but the opposite case was true for me).

In addition, a gap year is definitely a good way to recuperate from 4 years of undergrad and to start out fresh for another 4 years of medical school. I am super happy that I have a year ahead of me to catch up on readings, to spend time with family, to visit friends, to relax, and to do things that I want to do but may not have time for.

But, of course, you must get into medical school eventually, and perhaps that worries you. It's understandable. But if finance and other life circumstances are not hurdles to your eventual medical education, there's nothing to worry about. The formula to application success doesn't change much each year (at least I have been led to believe so)- GPA, MCAT, letter of recs, and extracurricular activities. A carefully planned gap year that focuses on improving these will put you at a clear advantage in your applications.

Thanks ih371990,

it really helped. My friend also posted this on her wall which I believe may have some relevance to everything applying to medical school and life in general:

when you feel bitter ....
when you feel angry...
love those who can't be loved...
forgive those who can't be forgiven...
take a step back...
this is a learning experience...
list all the good things that have happened to you this week...
list all the good things that have happened to you in your entire life...
why are you complaining?
life is so much more than what your eyes are seeing...

Anyone accepted with a retake (MCAT)? :(
Hi, thelullaby99, I believe one guy got accepted after 4 attempts in MCAT. And when I went for the mini open house at Duke-NUS, the admin people told us that they do accept January MCAT score if you are considering retaking. There was one guy who never took MCAT at all and still applied. Don't get discouraged by your MCAT and just do it again.

I definitely agree with SupertCJT; however, do not just take the MCAT if you feel unprepared. You may have gotten a lower score the first time, but if you feel unprepared then taking again may hurt your chances especially if you get a similar or lower score. It's definitely best to take it when fully prepared.

Did the guy get in without a MCAT score? o_O

I recommend Berkeley Review if you still need to study for the MCAT.

Did the guy get in without a MCAT score? o_O

I recommend Berkeley Review if you still need to study for the MCAT.
No, it's just that Duke-NUS allows applicants to submit their applications without a MCAT score since there're no more MCAT tests for this year.

No, it's just that Duke-NUS allows applicants to submit their applications without a MCAT score since there're no more MCAT tests for this year.

Oh, I see. Just send them in later (Jan MCAT's)...that's what they mean.

I took the MCAT twice. Did much better the second time around. Have to say preparation does make a big difference. Definitely had a large impact on my apps.

Hi all, I am new here.
My second MCAT attempt was worse than first test. Should I just apply and submit my first test result? I have been very busy with my job, postgrad study and other personal issues. Anyone work and study for MCAT without strong science background but managed to do well in MCAT? Thanks

Hi all, I am new here.
My second MCAT attempt was worse than first test. Should I just apply and submit my first test result? I have been very busy with my job, postgrad study and other personal issues. Anyone work and study for MCAT without strong science background but managed to do well in MCAT? Thanks

If i am not mistaken, when you report your score they will see both test results. If MCAT is not a strength on your app, you will need something else to help you stand out.

I would suggest examkracker to get the concepts down and if you have time to supplement with berkeley review. Examkracker is good for its brevity and more than enough to get a 30+.