2012-2013 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any current students comment on what complete financial aid packages typically look like?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry. Hammer-posting...

I have another second-look scheduled for that same weekend at another school in Philly. I'm trying to split my time between the two. Do any current students have any input regarding what Jeff events I should absolutely attend and what I could miss?

Thanks guys!

Just got the call!

Interviewed 4/3
Complete way back in August

Members don't see this ad :)
do they only call between 2 and 3? Also interviewed last week...

I was waitlisted after interviewing on 3/20 and was put in the high priority category. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of when they might start pulling people off of the list.

I was waitlisted after interviewing on 3/20 and was put in the high priority category. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of when they might start pulling people off of the list.

I think people were already pulled off the list, but a majority of the movement will be seen in May.

Accepted today! :) Got the call ~2:40. Interviewed 4/3. Interview offer 3/6. Complete late Aug and I never sent any sort of letter of interest or update letter (did thank my interviewer via email). This was my first acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! If anyone is from the Boston area or interested in living in Boston and hasn't heard back yet, maybe consider applying for Boston Healthcare for the Homeless. I was going to fill out the application tonight if I didn't hear back. The app is due on Friday but you may be able to turn it in later and it seemed like a great gap program / backup plan.

Interviewed here today. This place is an absolute gem. I really hope I get in, the sense of community among the med students and staff was amazing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

anyone that interviewed 4/3 not hear back today? does that mean waitlist most likely or are acceptances next week possible? this is just my top choice and i'm quite nervous. thanks guys

They said today that they still have spots and they're not meeting next week so it won't be until the week after next that more offers will go out.

Does anyone know if there was a dress code mentioned for second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
It says that it's unranked, so how is it the lower portion of the waitlist? Did they need to mention "high priority" in the email?

It says that it's unranked, so how is it the lower portion of the waitlist? Did they need to mention "high priority" in the email?

Lower portion in that there's a high priority portion of the waitlist and then an alternate list. They're more likely to pull off the high priority list, but it's unranked in that a few people do come off of the alternate list before they deplete the high priority list. It's rare though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I interviewed 4/3 and received a high priority wait-list email today. The email requests a response as to indicate whether you want to be considered for a place in the class at a later date. Is this just meant to confirm my place on the wait-list or is it more of a LOI type deal?

I interviewed 4/3 and received a high priority wait-list email today. The email requests a response as to indicate whether you want to be considered for a place in the class at a later date. Is this just meant to confirm my place on the wait-list or is it more of a LOI type deal?

To confirm your place on the wait-list.

Pre-interview rejection just now. complete mid august. Good luck to the rest of you!

Finally got my rejection from them

hadn't heard anything since I submitted my secondary last summer (clearly a silent rejection school)

Finally got my rejection from them

hadn't heard anything since I submitted my secondary last summer (clearly a silent rejection school)

+1. Not a peep since last summer. Luckily I'll be attending a different school in the fall. Good luck to everyone!

So as I mentioned, I interviewed here yesterday. They told me that decisions will be released in two weeks. I was wondering, should I send an update letter now or after the 2 weeks (if I am waitlisted). Recently, I received a grant for research, was published on an abstract, and will be presenting a poster in May. I mentioned this to my interviewer but no formal mention of this is on my application. Should I email now, or save it for if I am waitlisted?

So as I mentioned, I interviewed here yesterday. They told me that decisions will be released in two weeks. I was wondering, should I send an update letter now or after the 2 weeks (if I am waitlisted). Recently, I received a grant for research, was published on an abstract, and will be presenting a poster in May. I mentioned this to my interviewer but no formal mention of this is on my application. Should I email now, or save it for if I am waitlisted?

I'd send it now. That way they can attach your update letter to your file immediately. This will allow all of the committee members to have an opportunity to have it in front of them, rather than just listening to your interviewer (if s/he's) even present at the meeting. Better safe than sorry!

Agreed. Definitely send it in as soon as possible.

Also does anyone know how the high priority wait list works, is it somewhat ranked or is it more luck of the draw within that section?

Interviewed on 4/3
Put on the high priority waitlist on 4/11

I was excited to be put on the high priority category, but from this thread it seems like most of the poeple that interviewed with me were put in the high priorirty category rather than the regular alternate list. Does anyone know how much more being on the high priority list will increase my chacnes? Does anyone know what percentage of the total wait list is high priority?

Regarding the May 15th national deadline, I am currently accepted at one DO school and waitlisted at 4 schools with no response yet from a 5th school. When May 15th rolls around, am I expected to withdraw from all the other wait lists in order to hang on to my DO acceptance? Or does this just apply for multiple acceptances? How long can I stay on the MD wait lists without risking losing my DO acceptance? Thanks!

Regarding the May 15th national deadline, I am currently accepted at one DO school and waitlisted at 4 schools with no response yet from a 5th school. When May 15th rolls around, am I expected to withdraw from all the other wait lists in order to hang on to my DO acceptance? Or does this just apply for multiple acceptances? How long can I stay on the MD wait lists without risking losing my DO acceptance? Thanks!

Stay on as many waitlists as you like. May15 is for multiple acceptances. If you come off a waitlist, you'll have a certain amount of time to choose (not a lot though, have in mind what you'll do in all potential situations).

The DO's are just going to get you with the obscene tuition deposits, so they don't care.

Stay on as many waitlists as you like. May15 is for multiple acceptances. If you come off a waitlist, you'll have a certain amount of time to choose (not a lot though, have in mind what you'll do in all potential situations).

The DO's are just going to get you with the obscene tuition deposits, so they don't care.

Got it! Thanks! I feel better now. I'm on so many waitlists. Hopefully something wlll come thr;ought,

no decisions or calls tomorrow right? i heard the committee isn't meeting

did financial aid packages come out already? how do they look?

Just got mine too. I received a 10k scholarship, not sure if need or merit based, and a 10k interest free during school loan.
Very excited about it! Still a hefty price tag but definitely a step in the right direction.

Edit: Scholarship is need based

Last edited:
What is the meaning of "Outside Resource"? Everything else is a zero.

As much as i liked Jeff it looks like i will be withdrawing. Even with a 12.5k scholarship it will still cost way to much to attend compared to my state school. Best of luck to everyone attending school here :thumbup:

I think people were already pulled off the list, but a majority of the movement will be seen in May.

Do you know for sure that they have already started pulling people off the list?

Do you know for sure that they have already started pulling people off the list?

Edit: I might have gotten things mixed up in my head. I thought I saw someone post they did, but that must have been another thread. Sorry for the confusion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got the acceptance call Wednesday 4/10, but I havn't gotten any letters in the mail with further instruction or an email with an official acceptance. I want to make sure that I confirm my acceptance and send in any deposits to hold my spot. I also want to be able to send in financial aid stuff before I miss deadlines. Did other people who were accepted by phone get an email telling them what to do next and if so when and did it go to your jefferson.edu email? Thanks!

I got the acceptance call Wednesday 4/10, but I havn't gotten any letters in the mail with further instruction or an email with an official acceptance. I want to make sure that I confirm my acceptance and send in any deposits to hold my spot. I also want to be able to send in financial aid stuff before I miss deadlines. Did other people who were accepted by phone get an email telling them what to do next and if so when and did it go to your jefferson.edu email? Thanks!

They will mail you an official card saying you are accepted and another one that you fill out to confirm your acceptance and send in your deposit. Keep celebrating and don't worry. It'll come. In the meantime I think you can fill out financial aid info online.

Status
Not open for further replies.