2012-2013 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is MCG still offering free download of microsoft office to accepted students? Does anyone know where to go for the download?

If you have all your login info, then you should be able to download it for free. Go to portal.georgiahealth.edu, login on the left hand side; select "IT and support services" on the left hand side; on the new window select "software available" on the left hand tabs. Then select microsoft office on the left hand tabs and the download links should be in the middle.

I just went through the steps, and it seems to work for me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have all your login info, then you should be able to download it for free. Go to portal.georgiahealth.edu, login on the left hand side; select "IT and support services" on the left hand side; on the new window select "software available" on the left hand tabs. Then select microsoft office on the left hand tabs and the download links should be in the middle.

I just went through the steps, and it seems to work for me.

Got it! Thank you very much!

I spoke with Mrs.DeVaughn yesterday at a pre-health fair my school held and she said that the adcom will be meeting every Tuesday and Thursday in March to make final decisions, and that hopefully all final decisions will be made by the first week of April.
This is definitely true. I received an acceptance today (Wednesday), so I'm guessing they met yesterday. I interviewed in late October, so people still waiting, don't give up hope. I waited 4 months after my interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely true. I received an acceptance today (Wednesday), so I'm guessing they met yesterday. I interviewed in late October, so people still waiting, don't give up hope. I waited 4 months after my interview...

Congratulations!! :) And thanks for letting us know. You've given me hope! Been waiting almost 4 months as well!

Congratulations!! I'm in the same boat. I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything yet. Have you guys been sending updates or letters or anything? I sent one update in December with my fall grades, but I don't want them to think I am not interested but also don't want to pester them.

Congratulations!! I'm in the same boat. I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything yet. Have you guys been sending updates or letters or anything? I sent one update in December with my fall grades, but I don't want them to think I am not interested but also don't want to pester them.

I've sent three updates so far using the document upload tab on the application site. I wouldn't hesitate posting if you have something important to share!

I'd sent 5 updates after my interview up until my acceptance. I think you should share new updates if you feel that they're important/relevant!

I'd sent 5 updates after my interview up until my acceptance. I think you should share new updates if you feel that they're important/relevant!

Man that's a lot of dedication. Glad it worked out :thumbup:

Also, for anyone who knows, are the lecture podcasts only audio recorded or audio + video?

Man that's a lot of dedication. Glad it worked out :thumbup:

Also, for anyone who knows, are the lecture podcasts only audio recorded or audio + video?

Only audio, but you can usually tell which slides they are on if you are following along with the PowerPoint/hand out

Only audio, but you can usually tell which slides they are on if you are following along with the PowerPoint/hand out

Great, thanks.

How often do students plan social events/gatherings to help deal with the stress of med school?

Great, thanks.

How often do students plan social events/gatherings to help deal with the stress of med school?

There is usually a social event after every test and on non-test weeks sometimes too. There is something going on every week that you could go to though if you wanted.

There is usually a social event after every test and on non-test weeks sometimes too. There is something going on every week that you could go to though if you wanted.

Awesome.

Also, I asked this earlier in the cycle, but I think you and the other current student mentioned that you both had just started school and didn't have the best idea yet. But I was wondering if you could comment now on the lectures during the MS1 year. How much of it is pointless minutia that you have to know for the tests, and how much is actual content tested by Step 1? How often do professors teach to the boards/actual clinical correlations as opposed to details from their research, etc.?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Awesome.

Also, I asked this earlier in the cycle, but I think you and the other current student mentioned that you both had just started school and didn't have the best idea yet. But I was wondering if you could comment now on the lectures during the MS1 year. How much of it is pointless minutia that you have to know for the tests, and how much is actual content tested by Step 1? How often do professors teach to the boards/actual clinical correlations as opposed to details from their research, etc.?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Since I haven't taken or started studying for the boards yet I'm not 100% sure. We do have some of the highest step averages in the country though, so we must be doing something right.

There will be things asked that you feel are not important at times, but for the most part the faculty does a good job at asking fair and relevant questions from the material.

There are relevant clinical applications of the material in just about every lecture actually lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I haven't taken or started studying for the boards yet I'm not 100% sure. We do have some of the highest step averages in the country though, so we must be doing something right.

There will be things asked that you feel are not important at times, but for the most part the faculty does a good job at asking fair and relevant questions from the material.

There are relevant clinical applications of the material in just about every lecture actually lol

Someone using SDN to pass the time before the test grades are out? :p

oh wait. the moment I type that, I get the email.... :scared: There is never a longer moment than waiting for your computer to load the darn document...

I've been using some board study books as a guide when I study, and I think there's very little that they teach us that isn't in these books, so if I use that as a measurement, they're doing well with sticking to board-tested material and not extraneous stuff. I mean, there is some, but it's not a significant amount that I would consider it a problem. They do a good job of integrating clinical and basic science. In fact, our whole test this morning was basically "a 45 year old patient walks into your clinic with these symptoms. What is the most likely diagnosis?"

Even if I don't go to lectures (I usually do though), I still relisten to them because I find it helpful to hear it explained than to just read the notes. Some teachers' notes are better than others - some you have to listen to the lecture for (or at least that's how I feel). I think the faculty know better than to waste your time with pointless stuff - I think most of what we're learning is relevant...if not for the boards, then for actual practice.

People from October are still waiting? When I interviewed in Jan they were saying at the latest 8 weeks after interview. You are giving me some hope!

Haha, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what the step 1 averages have been the past couple of years?

Someone using SDN to pass the time before the test grades are out? :p

oh wait. the moment I type that, I get the email.... :scared: There is never a longer moment than waiting for your computer to load the darn document...

I've been using some board study books as a guide when I study, and I think there's very little that they teach us that isn't in these books, so if I use that as a measurement, they're doing well with sticking to board-tested material and not extraneous stuff. I mean, there is some, but it's not a significant amount that I would consider it a problem. They do a good job of integrating clinical and basic science. In fact, our whole test this morning was basically "a 45 year old patient walks into your clinic with these symptoms. What is the most likely diagnosis?"

Even if I don't go to lectures (I usually do though), I still relisten to them because I find it helpful to hear it explained than to just read the notes. Some teachers' notes are better than others - some you have to listen to the lecture for (or at least that's how I feel). I think the faculty know better than to waste your time with pointless stuff - I think most of what we're learning is relevant...if not for the boards, then for actual practice.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

(and sorry for asking so many questions)

Haha, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what the step 1 averages have been the past couple of years?

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

(and sorry for asking so many questions)

They don't release the average score to the students. With that said, I personally know of 7 people over a 255 on step 1 and 3 over a 270 on step 2. Our curriculum is excellent and prepares you very well for step 1/2.

If I had to guess, I would say we are in the neighborhood of the low 230's on step 1.

They don't release the average score to the students. With that said, I personally know of 7 people over a 255 on step 1 and 3 over a 270 on step 2. Our curriculum is excellent and prepares you very well for step 1/2.

If I had to guess, I would say we are in the neighborhood of the low 230's on step 1.

Cool, thanks for the info!

On the same topic, I saw on last year's exam schedule that the Phase 2 Comprehensive NBME was May 6 and that rotations started July 2nd. So would it be safe for me to assume that students get ~7 weeks to prepare for Step 1? If not, can someone please correct me?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of elective courses offered to students during MS1/2? I can find the clerkship electives on their website, but not the preclinical ones..

Cool, thanks for the info!

On the same topic, I saw on last year's exam schedule that the Phase 2 Comprehensive NBME was May 6 and that rotations started July 2nd. So would it be safe for me to assume that students get ~7 weeks to prepare for Step 1? If not, can someone please correct me?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of elective courses offered to students during MS1/2? I can find the clerkship electives on their website, but not the preclinical ones..

You get till the first day of MS3 to take step 1.

Electives that I know of:
Emergency medicine
Urology
Anesthesia
Plastic surgery
Pediatrics- Neonate
OBGYN
Eating Disorders
Forensics
Wilderness Medicine
Global health
Emergency response
Sleep
Gen Surg
Child Psych
Radiology

This was ours in 2010. With that said, it's really not that exciting. You don't even have to take one if you don't want to.

You get till the first day of MS3 to take step 1.

Electives that I know of:
Emergency medicine
Urology
Anesthesia
Plastic surgery
Pediatrics- Neonate
OBGYN
Eating Disorders
Forensics
Wilderness Medicine
Global health
Emergency response
Sleep
Gen Surg
Child Psych
Radiology

This was ours in 2010. With that said, it's really not that exciting. You don't even have to take one if you don't want to.

Sorry to be a bit picky, but what is considered the first day of MS3? The first day of rotations? Or another day?

And thanks for the list!

Sorry to be a bit picky, but what is considered the first day of MS3? The first day of rotations? Or another day?

And thanks for the list!

By definition it is the first day of class, which changes each year as july 4th may affect the start date. It's really not that important man. 7 weeks (or whatever you have) is plenty of time to prepare for step 1. Most people recommend no more than 5 weeks of dedicated study time, which is plenty to do very well on step 1 (assuming you are capable of really great scores).

Step 1 is a hard test. But, it would be very adventitious of you to just focus on class and let step 2 come into the picture about two years from today. There's absolutely no reason to worry about it right now or during your first year in medical school

By definition it is the first day of class, which changes each year as july 4th may affect the start date. It's really not that important man. 7 weeks (or whatever you have) is plenty of time to prepare for step 1. Most people recommend no more than 5 weeks of dedicated study time, which is plenty to do very well on step 1 (assuming you are capable of really great scores).

Step 1 is a hard test. But, it would be very adventitious of you to just focus on class and let step 2 come into the picture about two years from today. There's absolutely no reason to worry about it right now or during your first year in medical school

No, you're right. I was just curious since 7 weeks seems like a lot of time for Step 1 prep, given what I've read on here. So I just wanted to make sure I didn't have the wrong idea. And I realize different people will want different vacation time after Step 1 and before rotations, which would also change the amount of time they have to study. But thanks for the info.

No, you're right. I was just curious since 7 weeks seems like a lot of time for Step 1 prep, given what I've read on here. So I just wanted to make sure I didn't have the wrong idea. And I realize different people will want different vacation time after Step 1 and before rotations, which would also change the amount of time they have to study. But thanks for the info.

I took it June 13th or something a few years back and I had 40 days of dedicated step prep. That left me with >2 weeks of vacation prior to starting the clinical years.

Have people already submitted their immunization forms? It says 3 months prior to the start of classes. I can't find the 2013 start date, so i'm assuming its the first week of August. But how strict is the "if you don't turn in the paperwork 3 months prior, you'll be disenrolled" thing? I'm behind on my vaccinations (I know, I'm a terrible person, and my previous school let it pass believe it or not), and its going to take at least 2 months to finish my vaccinations!

Have people already submitted their immunization forms? It says 3 months prior to the start of classes. I can't find the 2013 start date, so i'm assuming its the first week of August. But how strict is the "if you don't turn in the paperwork 3 months prior, you'll be disenrolled" thing? I'm behind on my vaccinations (I know, I'm a terrible person, and my previous school let it pass believe it or not), and its going to take at least 2 months to finish my vaccinations!

I'm right there with you. But I want to try to get them done by end of April

It's not strict at all. You should get it done as soon as possible because you don't want it looming over your head, but I didn't get mine done until orientation week last year and I didn't have any problems other than getting a few emails.

Thanks guys! my vaccinations + titer timeframe stretches into June. The health clinic people were like, "why in the world do you need a hep c titer? Oh, are you going to med school?" Haha.

The separate financial aid form for GRU is not up yet due to the merger.

Has anyone interviewed in December and heard anything? I interviewed in December.....seems hopeless

Has anyone interviewed in December and heard anything? I interviewed in December.....seems hopeless

Hang in there. I like to think that they're behind in making their decisions. This week might be the week for many of us. :xf:

1. Do they take Individual Research credit grades into account when calculating Science GPA? I have done research credit in Chemistry and was wondering if it will be taken into account.

2. I also have some course grades in Nueroscience…will it be taken into account for science GPA – or do they take only Bio, Chem, Phy and Math grades?

1. Do they take Individual Research credit grades into account when calculating Science GPA? I have done research credit in Chemistry and was wondering if it will be taken into account.

2. I also have some course grades in Nueroscience…will it be taken into account for science GPA – or do they take only Bio, Chem, Phy and Math grades?

You should ask this question in the pre-med allopathic forum, not here.

But from what I understand, schools don't calculate your gpa, AMCAS does.

If your research credit was through the chemistry department, I think it should be calculated into your sgpa. Same thing with neuroscience. If your transcript lists them under neuroscience, they'll count toward bcpm. If not, then no.

2.I also have some course grades in Nueroscience…will it be taken into account for science GPA – or do they take only Bio, Chem, Phy and Math grades?

Did you actually get a grade for research (I.e. A,B,C....not S or U)? you can classify a course based on the content. AMCAS will change the course classification as they see fit.

what are you all doing this summer, before we dive into our medical studies?!

i'm wondering whether I should get a job to save up some money (not much)

Does anyone have any information on when the waitlist will be released? Or if there will be any more acceptances before then? I don't want to bother the admissions office if someone has already spoken to them about it. Thanks guys!

Does anyone have any information on when the waitlist will be released? Or if there will be any more acceptances before then? I don't want to bother the admissions office if someone has already spoken to them about it. Thanks guys!

They usually release a massive acceptance/waitlist sometime around mid March, but it looks like they obviously haven't done so yet. I know they said they received a lot more apps this year than previously so I guess it is taking longer to sort through things. March 30th is the AAMC recommendation for schools to finalize their initial acceptances, so I would be surprised if they don't release info this week.

If I was you, I would try to relax this week, and I would call the admissions office next week if I still hadn't heard anything.

They usually release a massive acceptance/waitlist sometime around mid March, but it looks like they obviously haven't done so yet. I know they said they received a lot more apps this year than previously so I guess it is taking longer to sort through things. March 30th is the AAMC recommendation for schools to finalize their initial acceptances, so I would be surprised if they don't release info this week.

If I was you, I would try to relax this week, and I would call the admissions office next week if I still hadn't heard anything.

Great, thanks for the info!!

I called the admissions office last week and she said that since there was such a large increase in applicants and interviews that they will be meeting every T/R but we could still not find out until between now and mid-april, it will probably not be by the March 30 deadline that AAMC recommends

When I contacted admissions two weeks ago they said they were only meeting once a week. I wonder which is the real story, once a week or twice? I am a January person who has still not heard from anyone at all. They said end of march at the latest.

When I contacted admissions two weeks ago they said they were only meeting once a week. I wonder which is the real story, once a week or twice? I am a January person who has still not heard from anyone at all. They said end of march at the latest.

Does it matter? lol. Everyone will know something in the next week or two.

Anyone hear about campus assignments recently?

Hey, I just got off the phone with the financial aid department and there isn't going to be an institutional aid form this year, just the fafsa. Also you need to select medical college of georgia and augusta state on your fafsa.

I called admissions today and she said that they were hoping to get the notifications sent out to the remaining applicants today. She said if not today then Monday at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.