2012-2013 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called admissions today and she said that they were hoping to get the notifications sent out to the remaining applicants today. She said if not today then Monday at the latest.

Did she say if it was only acceptance notifications or waitlist notifications as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted here. anyone get rejected? but then again who going to post they got rejected

I got waitlisted as well, but Im still keeping hope alive!

I was waitlisted as well. Do you guys mind posting your stats? This is my second time on the waitlist. 29 on the mcat, then a 26 two weeks later :/ (it was a bad day and I got one point less on each section), 3.89 post bac/science and 3.47 undergrad. Applied on the deadline and interviewed in late January. Also, does anyone know how they handle multiple MCAT scores as far as rating you?

I was waitlisted as well. Do you guys mind posting your stats? This is my second time on the waitlist. 29 on the mcat, then a 26 two weeks later :/ (it was a bad day and I got one point less on each section), 3.89 post bac/science and 3.47 undergrad. Applied on the deadline and interviewed in late January. Also, does anyone know how they handle multiple MCAT scores as far as rating you?

My stats are on my MDapps.

Sorry to hear about all the waitlists...But at least there's still hope :) Good luck to you all!

34 mcat 3.45 undergrad gpa 18 months nursing assistant experience

Interviewed late January

Of those waitlisted today, did any interview in CA in late January? Also, have any CA interviewees been accepted?

Why do you have to list Augusta state on your fafsa.... I only listed medical college of Georgia!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but there's a code for medical college of Georgia. Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I'm worried my fafsa was never received because I didn't list Augusta state

Yeah but there's a code for medical college of Georgia. Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I'm worried my fafsa was never received because I didn't list Augusta state

It is because of the merger. I would add augusta state as soon as possible. I had a funny feeling that they hadnt received my FAFSA because it was processed almost two weeks ago and I hadn't heard anything so I called the financial aid office and found out that I needed to add augusta state so that I had both school codes. It should get processed quickly for such a minor change. Im not sure how changing it affects meeting the priority deadline, so I will probably phone on Monday and ask since technically it was in ahead of time.

It is because of the merger. I would add augusta state as soon as possible. I had a funny feeling that they hadnt received my FAFSA because it was processed almost two weeks ago and I hadn't heard anything so I called the financial aid office and found out that I needed to add augusta state so that I had both school codes. It should get processed quickly for such a minor change. Im not sure how changing it affects meeting the priority deadline, so I will probably phone on Monday and ask since technically it was in ahead of time.

FML. I just added Augusta State, but I highly doubt my corrected FAFSA will be processed and available by Monday. FML! :(

Have you received your financial aid package?

FML. I just added Augusta State, but I highly doubt my corrected FAFSA will be processed and available by Monday. FML! :(

Have you received your financial aid package?

No, I just added August State today so I am in the same boat. I will let you know what they say on Monday if you want.

I'm going to call first thing Monday too. Let me know what they say, I will report back too. Hopefully they'll mark us as having met the priority deadline. I've had my FAFSA processed since early March, and I thought I wouldn't hear back about my financial aid package until April, so I didn't think the silence was odd. Thank you for posting about what you heard on SDN. You rock. :thumbup:

I just added Augusta State, so thanks for that advice but can someone explain the priority deadline and how meeting it or not meeting it affects us?

Of those waitlisted today, did any interview in CA in late January? Also, have any CA interviewees been accepted?

I'm a waitlister from CA, but I opted to interview at MCG the week before they came out to interview in California.

I just added Augusta State, so thanks for that advice but can someone explain the priority deadline and how meeting it or not meeting it affects us?

I found this on the financial aid page "The Financial Aid application priority deadline for 2013-2014 is April 1, 2013. The office must receive your processed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all other required documents by this date. This will ensure your award is processed before the tuition and fee payment deadline."

Basically I think that meeting the priority deadline means that you are guaranteed to receive your financial aid package before you need to pay any tuition or fees, and if you don't meet it that they are not obligated to get your aid package to you before they are due. However, I think that it is highly unlikely that you will run in to any problems if you are a few days off of meeting the deadline. I will ask when I call on Monday and find out exactly what missing the priority deadline means though.

I found this on the financial aid page "The Financial Aid application priority deadline for 2013-2014 is April 1, 2013. The office must receive your processed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all other required documents by this date. This will ensure your award is processed before the tuition and fee payment deadline."

Basically I think that meeting the priority deadline means that you are guaranteed to receive your financial aid package before you need to pay any tuition or fees, and if you don't meet it that they are not obligated to get your aid package to you before they are due. However, I think that it is highly unlikely that you will run in to any problems if you are a few days off of meeting the deadline. I will ask when I call on Monday and find out exactly what missing the priority deadline means though.

What happens to the 50-100 students who get pulled of the waitlist for acceptance after April 1st? You'll still have plenty of time to fill out FASFA and get your federal Direct Loan package approved. If there's any "deadline," it's to be considered for the 5 scholarships (most are partial) and a few that shouldn't even be mentioned b/c they pay such a low amount. 95% of the students here who need financial assistance rely on federal loans to make ends meet.

Good luck! You'll need it with rising tuition costs :)

I called financial aid but I only got voicemail. Has anyone gotten through to them?

Also have all scholarship announcements gone out?

Another waitlist. Stats on mdapplicants page.

Haven't done fafsa yet as my taxes are not done due to the sheer amount of itemized deductions I have for the businesses I run.

I just got off the phone with the finaid office and they said that I would be fine having just added Augusta State to my FAFSA on Friday since it was processed already and I had selected medical college of georgia. If you havent added augusta state then she said to go ahead and do it right away.

Ditto everything dielle said. Financial aid lady said it was fine that I put just ghsu, and added Augusta state afterwards.

Hey guys,

I was waitlisted too. I was wondering if any had any idea how many people get off the waitlist on average every year off an approximate total number of people on the waitlist?

Does anyone know anything about campus assignments? Like when we find out where we'll be?

I haven't heard anything. Also, how do scholarships work? Are they still being issued?

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Do they release a weekly notification or just send them out as they become available?

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Do they release a weekly notification or just send them out as they become available?

Available with 2 big pushes (Mid May and Early June).

Hey guys,

I was waitlisted too. I was wondering if any had any idea how many people get off the waitlist on average every year off an approximate total number of people on the waitlist?

I don't know how many people go on it, but they say about 50-100 people are usually accepted off of the waitlist.

Any one else get the email about summer research stipend being decreased from $4000 to $3000 :(

Any movement from the waitlist yet? It seems like April would be a busy month since most places have released final decisions.

For those on the waitlist: Keep your head up, I got off the list towards the end of May last year.

Any movement from the waitlist yet? It seems like April would be a busy month since most places have released final decisions.

Many people hold out because they are waiting on financial aid/scholarship info from schools. After May 15 schools are allowed to begin putting ultimatums on students telling them they have a certain amount of time to make a decision on one school. The weeks following this is when most movement occurs. Be patient.

Same here, my parents are paying for a summer in Europe :) pretty sure this is the last time I'll get a present this awesome.

By the way, has anyone received their financial aid?!?!

Same here, my parents are paying for a summer in Europe :) pretty sure this is the last time I'll get a present this awesome.

By the way, has anyone received their financial aid?!?!

Nothing here. Apparently we probably won't receive it until July..?

How does that give us time to apply for extra loans etc?! Ugh this is stressing me out.

How does that give us time to apply for extra loans etc?! Ugh this is stressing me out.

Extra loans? You will most likely be approved for loans up to the cost of attendance, which is set by the university. After that, you will have to request GradPlus loans through the office of Fin Aid, and this step can really be done at any time. It doesn't take long to get money once you are in medical school.

With that said I would be careful taking out anything above the COL. You're already looking at graduating with 250,000 in debt, once the interest capitalizes, if you take out the "cost of attendance" each year.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Thousands of med students across the country make this happen every year--it's not hard.

Also, realize that this isn't an undergrad institution with 20,000 students. You won't just get dropped and lose your spot in the class if there happens to be some issue with financial aid, as long as you are actually working to make it happen. There's always those stories of people that get off the waitlist last minute, and they make this stuff happen just fine.

Extra loans? You will most likely be approved for loans up to the cost of attendance, which is set by the university. After that, you will have to request GradPlus loans through the office of Fin Aid, and this step can really be done at any time. It doesn't take long to get money once you are in medical school.

With that said I would be careful taking out anything above the COL. You're already looking at graduating with 250,000 in debt, once the interest capitalizes, if you take out the "cost of attendance" each year.

That's such a daunting number..I really wish MCG had more money to offer students more scholarships and need based grants..

Status
Not open for further replies.