2012-2013 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I saw nothing in either of the two emails I got yesterday about notifying them within 24 hours about whether or not I accept the position. However, I just looked back at the email that I got asking whether or not I wanted to be on the alternate list and it said that I had to let them know within 24 hours? I just sent them an email, but it's more like 28-29 hours. Do you think this is a big deal? From the acceptance letter packet the impression I got was that I just needed to send the signed acceptance letter within a week. Ugh, now I'm worried.

Well, called this morning and she said I was fine. Phew, praise the Lord!
A couple of questions, does anyone know when I will get an Outlook ID and to be able to logon? Also, when should I get an email notifying me about the Certiphi background check?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You had to respond to the alternate list request in a week, the acceptance list you have to respond within 24 hours. At least that is what my email said.

So far I am still sitting here on the MCG waiting list. I wish they would let me know. I know MCG does not say anything (and will not officially say how far down) but does anyone have even the most remote clue of how far down they have gotten on the waiting list?

I just was accepted into a rabbinical school with a history of students being in multiple programs at once (medical or law) and we need to know what I am doing next semester in order to help set up my assignments. My seminary knows and encourages medical school to come first and will allow me to withdraw or defer or adjust my schedule if medical school is going to happen.

Well, called this morning and she said I was fine. Phew, praise the Lord!
A couple of questions, does anyone know when I will get an Outlook ID and to be able to logon? Also, when should I get an email notifying me about the Certiphi background check?
Thanks!

Congrats on the acceptance, I think you should get your outlook id in about a week or two. I had to call the help line before I could be logged in because of password difficulties. As far as the background check, mine took a few days ~ 6.

Hi guys!

Has anyone tried to log on to the student health website to complete the Medical Record Information Sheet? I received my NetID today and can log into pounce, outlook, etc. but for some reason am unable to log on to the student health website.

IT told me to call Student Health and they told me to call IT, so I was wondering if any of you were having this problem. Thanks!!

Hi guys!

Has anyone tried to log on to the student health website to complete the Medical Record Information Sheet? I received my NetID today and can log into pounce, outlook, etc. but for some reason am unable to log on to the student health website.

IT told me to call Student Health and they told me to call IT, so I was wondering if any of you were having this problem. Thanks!!

Where exactly is this Student Health website of which you speak?

I was able to login and I just got my NetID yesterday.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of exam schedule form last year for the Athens campus like there is for the Augusta campus? Like on the main MCG website you can go to the curriculum office and get all sorts of information, but it is all for the Augusta campus. The curriculum part of the site for the Athens campus is not nearly as informative.

So far I am still sitting here on the MCG waiting list. I wish they would let me know. I know MCG does not say anything (and will not officially say how far down) but does anyone have even the most remote clue of how far down they have gotten on the waiting list?

Sorry, nobody will know that. I would distrust anybody who claims to. All you can do is be patient, flexible, and keep your fingers crossed.

Before the expansion they would typically go 50-75 deep in an average year. The reason they don't tell you how far down you are is that it doesn't make any difference. Each year is different. If you haven't heard by now the chance that you will get the call is very, very slim. Sorry to bring the bad news! God knows I'm all too familiar with that news myself.

I was able to login and I just got my NetID yesterday.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of exam schedule form last year for the Athens campus like there is for the Augusta campus? Like on the main MCG website you can go to the curriculum office and get all sorts of information, but it is all for the Augusta campus. The curriculum part of the site for the Athens campus is not nearly as informative.

It's also nothing like the Augusta campus. Those two faculty groups haven't talked since 2010. I'd expect lots of changes at the Athens campus for each starting class.

Before the expansion they would typically go 50-75 deep in an average year. The reason they don't tell you how far down you are is that it doesn't make any difference. Each year is different. If you haven't heard by now the chance that you will get the call is very, very slim. Sorry to bring the bad news! God knows I'm all too familiar with that news myself.

Don't lose hope! I got taken off the alternate list this past week and know at least 2 other people who have also heard good news! People have also told me stories about a couple of people who got off just several weeks before orientation...you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope! I got taken off the alternate list this past week and know at least 2 other people who have also heard good news! People have also told me stories about a couple of people who got off just several weeks before orientation...you never know.

250 or so get waitlisted
75 come off by June 14th
<5 come off by orientation.

Why not just move to Augusta if you're still waitlisted, as the odds of getting off at this point in time are what... 1:100?

Congrats on getting off. When I was there I was told that there are typically two very busy periods for movement, with the first being in mid May and the second being the first week or two in June (which is when pressure is put on accepted students to narrow down their acceptances to a single institution). After that, it's slim pickings.

Thank you. I actually heard at least 100 are routinely contacted in May to get off the waiting list and I've heard that from a few people. And I heard (no names were mentioned but I have a VERY unique application) that were talking to friends of mine at the college and someone was singing my praises. I just wish that would turn into an acceptance or something.

In the past week or so, I was told about several people who got in just a few DAYS before orientation!

how long does it take for them to approve immunization records? do we get a confirmation email saying that the information has been approved? thanks!!

You can check the status at the student health site. osh.gru.edu. I had the hepB test fine, but I was given a qualitative value and the school needs a quantitative value.

The Secrets of Success guide came in the mail yesterday. Under printing for lecture notes, it says to buy "lots of paper (at least 5000 sheets a week)"...can't tell if that's a joke or if they're being serious...Can any current students provide some insight on this?

Same, but I think it was mentioned earlier that we probably won't get it until July..

Yup I remember reading that just wanted to know if anybody got an early taste of loans :smuggrin:. Have you found housing yet? I'm confused on the areas and what not, think I might attempt to stay on campus.

Yup I remember reading that just wanted to know if anybody got an early taste of loans :smuggrin:. Have you found housing yet? I'm confused on the areas and what not, think I might attempt to stay on campus.

Haha, I've looked up a few places online but that's it. I'll hopefully confirm a place with my roommate in the coming weeks

The Secrets of Success guide came in the mail yesterday. Under printing for lecture notes, it says to buy "lots of paper (at least 5000 sheets a week)"...can't tell if that's a joke or if they're being serious...Can any current students provide some insight on this?

Most students use their computers/tablets to read the class notes and annotate directly from there. MCG stopped their printing service to medical students with the c/o 2013, but from my personal experience we had about 2000 slides on each test, which if you print 2x2 and front/back you can get away with 250 pages/two week period.

It's a ton of notes. I recycled 5 feet of notes (most were 6 slides/page and double sided) when I graduated in May.

If you print, invest in a nice laser printer that can do two-sided stuff in a quick manner.

Please forgive me for making this post into a pseudo what-are-my-chances. Feeling low and I'm looking for straight answers from successful applicants.

I took the MCAT today and it was God-awful. :scared: So much guessing... and not just "educated" guessing, but BLIND guessing.

MCG is my dream school and I'll be applying this cycle, but once scores come in early August, how can I gauge my competitiveness?

I know that people are accepted with scores like 28, but do they filter out any applicant who are 6 or below in a subject? 7 or below? Or is there a specific composite score I can probably point to and say "no chance for MCG"?

I have a 3.54 GPA with 3.25 sGPA because I made a C in orgo I and an F in orgo II my sophomore year, but I retook them senior year and made an A and A-, respectively. That being said, I have a strong upward trend, lots of clinical stuff/shadowing, great EC, and great recs, but in the academia department, I wanted to at least be average by MCG MCAT standards (30).

I know I have to wait and see and that everyone feels crappy after their MCAT, but what wiggle-room do I have in regard to MCG and MCAT, GPA, etc?

I just contacted financial aid. They told me that any one person's financial aid should be updated some day during this month, so just check it on Pounce periodically. Secondly, I was told that we shouldn't expect a loan dispersal until August.

Please forgive me for making this post into a pseudo what-are-my-chances. Feeling low and I'm looking for straight answers from successful applicants.

I took the MCAT today and it was God-awful. :scared: So much guessing... and not just "educated" guessing, but BLIND guessing.

MCG is my dream school and I'll be applying this cycle, but once scores come in early August, how can I gauge my competitiveness?

I know that people are accepted with scores like 28, but do they filter out any applicant who are 6 or below in a subject? 7 or below? Or is there a specific composite score I can probably point to and say "no chance for MCG"?

I have a 3.54 GPA with 3.25 sGPA because I made a C in orgo I and an F in orgo II my sophomore year, but I retook them senior year and made an A and A-, respectively. That being said, I have a strong upward trend, lots of clinical stuff/shadowing, great EC, and great recs, but in the academia department, I wanted to at least be average by MCG MCAT standards (30).

I know I have to wait and see and that everyone feels crappy after their MCAT, but what wiggle-room do I have in regard to MCG and MCAT, GPA, etc?

If it's what you want then you will find a way to eventually get there. For me, that route had me spend a few years in graduate school and then retake the MCAT. After 4 times of applying I finally got in via EDP.

Graduated this spring near the top of the class. Wouldn't have had it any other way tbh. The years that I spent out of medical school were some of the best that I will have in my life. Funny how things always seem t work out in the end....

Good luck man. Cheer up. God knows I didn't like the 3x waitlist when it was happening...

The online application website isn't opening for me (the one with the secondary, interview, and alternate list tabs). Is anyone else having the same problem?

I wouldn't be too thrilled. My advice is...DO NOT GO HERE. Our tuition started at 23k or something first year, and has been going up more and more every year. Now it is like 27k. AND, this year they added a 6900 dollar fee. So...34k tuition and fees. This school is absolutely NOT worth this much money! We aren't private, not ranked too highly, etc. etc. AVOID AVOID

I wouldn't be too thrilled. My advice is...DO NOT GO HERE. Our tuition started at 23k or something first year, and has been going up more and more every year. Now it is like 27k. AND, this year they added a 6900 dollar fee. So...34k tuition and fees. This school is absolutely NOT worth this much money! We aren't private, not ranked too highly, etc. etc. AVOID AVOID

Medical education is equivalent across the different institutions in the country. It is relatively standardized by the accreditation committee and re-visited every few years. Even at 33k/year, MCG is still below the national average for in-state tuition.

MCG is, and will continue to be, a very good medical school that is known nationally for producing quality medical students and residents. While I too have experienced frustration over the tuition hikes (we went from 14k/year to 25k/year in my 4 year stint in Augusta), your rant here makes you look immature, bratty, and downright unhappy with your decision to even attend medical school in the first place. As for the rankings, we aren't ranked "highly," but we di currently sit about 60th out of 120 MD granting institutions in the country, because we have barely any NIH funding and very little purely research faculty members to bring in that kind of cash. It has nothing to do with the quality of our pre-clinical or clinical education experiences, or how competitive we are on the national scene when it comes to residency selection.

Medical school is a privilege, not a right, and the gift that we get with matriculation is something that far exceeds the price that we pay in tuition.

This is coming from a former graduate of MCG and a current resident at a different institution.

Last edited:
does any previous athens campus people have any suggestion in regards to what books to get for the first year? or should i wait until classes start to decide which ones to buy?

Still in shock about this, but I actually received a phone call last night and was accepted off the wait list! After June 15th came and went, not hearing anything, I figured I was not attending medical school this fall. Just goes to show you anything can happen and one 5-minute phone call can change your life.

Super excited (but also nervous) to be a part of the MCG Class of 2017!

Still in shock about this, but I actually received a phone call last night and was accepted off the wait list! After June 15th came and went, not hearing anything, I figured I was not attending medical school this fall. Just goes to show you anything can happen and one 5-minute phone call can change your life.

Wow, congrats! Make sure to join the fb group :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MCGSOM2017/

Congrats!!!!! if this is who I think it is, I told you at the Saac months ago you would get in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.