2012-2013 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finally ready to apply this year!

Good luck to all new applicants!:luck:

Applying here as well. Excellent school! Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm confused about the 2 U of A campuses- are either of them OOS friendly? I want to look them up separately but MSAR lists them together...

i'm confused about the 2 U of A campuses- are either of them OOS friendly? I want to look them up separately but MSAR lists them together...

Because the U of A campuses are kind of functioning as the same school at the moment (although you can get accepted to both campuses, and this whole thing will change in the next year or so), both schools are allowed to accept up to 50% OOS. As far as I'm aware, in the past few years, most of the OOS kids have gone to U of A - Phoenix, just because a lot of the kids accepted at both chose Tucson, but that might also be changing. It'd be worth it to apply to both campuses, though. You never know!

Do Arizona med schools accept out of state applicants? CA residents? thanks

Does anyone know when UA secondaries go out?

Does anyone know when UA secondaries go out?

I was told by a member of the ADCOM that they probably won't go out until August. Phoenix should have their's sent out by mid-July.

I hope the UofA secondaries (for both Tucson and Phx) aren't like last year...

Has anyone received or heard any rumors about when they'll be sending out secondaries?

Nevermind, this thread went longer than I realized and I now see that this has already been addressed. Please ignore.

I'd delete this if I knew how to.

What happened last year?

I think they just had quite a few questions about why us, why here, discuss a challenge and how you faced adversity, tell us about a time caring for another person/patient. They just require quite a bit of effort to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
A current student at UACOM-Tucson just asked admissions about secondaries and was told that they have just gotten a new computer system which has delayed them.

I'm trying to get an estimated time of send outs. Will keep posted.

Originally Posted by BigBlueBear
What happened last year?

Last year, as far as I know of, one of two things happened (depending on when you turned your secondary in):

Some people were sent rejection letters shortly after submitting their secondaries, only to have it retracted months later to ask the applicants to schedule an interview.

Others were told that their secondary was incomplete and that they needed to re-submit it.

Originally Posted by BigBlueBear
What happened last year?

Last year, as far as I know of, one of two things happened (depending on when you turned your secondary in):

Some people were sent rejection letters shortly after submitting their secondaries, only to have it retracted months later to ask the applicants to schedule an interview.

Others were told that their secondary was incomplete and that they needed to re-submit it.

Hm lovely. Hopefully they have the bugs figured out :)

IS or OOS?

(Let the question bombardment begin!)

What are the secondary prompts?

Discuss any experiences you have had learning or speaking another language, even if you are not fluent. In what contexts have you used this language? How do you feel this experience contributed to your personal and/or academic growth? (Limit: 350 words)

How has your education, experience, and background prepared you to interact effectively with people who have lives different from yours (cultural, social, religious, educational, etc.)? (Limit: 350 words)

Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health profession. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (If you have little to no clinical experience, please talk about a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well being of someone else.) (Limit: 350 words)

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something. How did this experience impact you? (Limit: 350 words)

We are specifically interested in applicants who demonstrate ties to the UA College of Medicine, the Tucson region or the state of Arizona. To that end, please share with us why you chose to apply to our program. (Limit: 350 words)

Do you believe your MCAT scores or GPA accurately represents your potential to succeed in medical school? Why or why not? (Limit: 350 words)

If you are a returning applicant, please share what you have done since you last applied. (Limit: 350 words)

Discuss any experiences you have had learning or speaking another language, even if you are not fluent. In what contexts have you used this language? How do you feel this experience contributed to your personal and/or academic growth? (Limit: 350 words)

How has your education, experience, and background prepared you to interact effectively with people who have lives different from yours (cultural, social, religious, educational, etc.)? (Limit: 350 words)

Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health profession. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (If you have little to no clinical experience, please talk about a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well being of someone else.) (Limit: 350 words)

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something. How did this experience impact you? (Limit: 350 words)

We are specifically interested in applicants who demonstrate ties to the UA College of Medicine, the Tucson region or the state of Arizona. To that end, please share with us why you chose to apply to our program. (Limit: 350 words)

Do you believe your MCAT scores or GPA accurately represents your potential to succeed in medical school? Why or why not? (Limit: 350 words)

If you are a returning applicant, please share what you have done since you last applied. (Limit: 350 words)

Does that mean they want us to explain why Arizona in terms of "i live in Arizona" or go all out? The "To that end" phrase is worrying me.

I'm pretty sure it means starting your essay with your tie to Arizona, Tucson, or the UA College of Medicine Tucson, explain your reason for wanting to attend.

I'm pretty sure it means starting your essay with your tie to Arizona, Tucson, or the UA College of Medicine Tucson, explain your reason for wanting to attend.

I just don't really see what we could do with that. I like in-state tuition, so I'm applying here? I like the weather? I have friends here? Seems silly that they're tying our hands :oops:

Just to clarify--you guys got U of A, not U of A Phoenix, right?

Last year there was a lot of confusion :p

Just to clarify--you guys got U of A, not U of A Phoenix, right?

Last year there was a lot of confusion :p

yeah, good pt!

"Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson! We are pleased to invite you to complete the secondary application which will help us learn more about you."

Do all secondaries come as email? I would like to stop checking the mail everyday if none of the schools are mailing the secondaries anymore.

Do all secondaries come as email? I would like to stop checking the mail everyday if none of the schools are mailing the secondaries anymore.

All 12 secondaries I've filled out so far have all been via email. Some schools may send an info packet, but they will probably all be online. You may want to watch the mail later on for decisions regarding admission.

Just finished the secondary! Had a question though for those who have already finished it. After I submitted I clicked on a tab that showed document status. In the box that appeared it showed that the transcripts from my university were not received yet. Anybody else get this message? I figured transcripts would have been sent with my primary app.....

Haven't received the secondary! Verified 6/5, 3.9, 34Q. Do they screen?

Haven't received the secondary! Verified 6/5, 3.9, 34Q. Do they screen?

They have a very low screen (22 MCAT I believe?). Oddly enough, it seems like everyone who has received secondaries are OOS, so maybe that's a factor? I'm IS and I haven't gotten a secondary yet either.

Yep, IS here and no secondary yet. They only screen is the 22 MCAT I believe though, so everyone will be getting one. (I hope) :)

Does Arizona Tucson require a letter from someone that has observed you in a clinical setting? I was reading through the Phoenix thread and that was mentioned several times.

Thanks cowboys

Instate and received the secondary yesterday! Don't worry, they're probably just rolling them out in batches :)

Does Arizona Tucson require a letter from someone that has observed you in a clinical setting? I was reading through the Phoenix thread and that was mentioned several times.

Thanks cowboys

According to the website, Arizona Tucson just wants three letters from people who can attest to your ability as a physician. While they encourage you to send in letters from clinical supervisors/community service supervisors/research mentors, they don't say they require it.

And I hope they don't, or else I'm screwed lol.

I haven't received my secondary yet either, (in state) but I really appreciate having the questions posted. I will be working on them sitting on the beach in San Diego this week.:)

Anyone else still not get a secondary?

I still haven't received the secondary. I was verified June 7 with all letters in to AMCAS by July 1.

Secondary received this morning. Verified with AMCAS on 7/5 and OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.