2012-2013 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Well here we go everyone! Really looking forward to applying with all of you! I know its early summer so is everyone studying for the MCAT? I'm looking at taking in late June or early July ready to get it out of the way its kind of overwhelming really.

I really like what I have seen from UAMS when I visited the campus about a month ago, any new news on the new curriculum being implemented? Also I know the university has not yet finalized the last class but any idea when some stats from their class get released?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

applying here as well, dunno why this thread is sooo dead!

does anyone know what are the stats for people chosen from Little Rock, adn surrounding areas?

Thanks.

I don't know how you'd go about finding area-specific numbers...but their total mean for last year is like 29 and ~3.7. Class size of ~170, and about 90% of their class is from in-state so that helps you out.

Thanks for the info, but I have heard about seats given out on the basis of quota for congressional districts. So I was just worried about that, I just became a resident of Arkansas, and the fact that I am in the Little Rock surrounding area scares me (people say that the highest stats are from this area).

does anyone know if its helpful to sign up for the rural prog. that UAMS has?

Oh dang didn't know about that. Definitely post it if you get that info.

Thanks for the info, but I have heard about seats given out on the basis of quota for congressional districts. So I was just worried about that, I just became a resident of Arkansas, and the fact that I am in the Little Rock surrounding area scares me (people say that the highest stats are from this area).
All of that is true. The current policy is that 70% of the first 150 enrolled students must be equally distributed between the 4 congressional districts (ignoring that 105 isn't divisible by 4...*sigh*). The other spots, including the 151-174th spots, can basically be anyone the school wants, as long as the OOS enrollment doesn't break a certain percentage of the class - 20%, if I recall. As the centers of education and educated people in Arkansas, the districts containing Fayetteville and Little Rock are always the most competitive. The others are...uh...not as competitive.

does anyone know if its helpful to sign up for the rural prog. that UAMS has?
I definitely would not do that. To me, the only way the Rural Practice Program is of any use to you is if you (think you) are dead-set on primary care of some kind AND are on the waitlist. They move the Rural Practice people to the head of the list, so you're basically guaranteed to get accepted. The scholarship/loan forgiveness sounds enticing, but if you're going to practice primary care, you'll have hospitals tripping over themselves to pay your loans in exchange for service, especially if you really do want to practice in rural Arkansas. Basically, the benefit the program offers is available to you anyway, and you can easily get it without the risk that you'll fall in love with dermatology and/or want to get the hell out of the state. Most people change their minds on specialties several times, so don't feel like your opinions now are going to hold throughout school. They might, but they probably won't.

I definitely would not do that. To me, the only way the Rural Practice Program is of any use to you is if you (think you) are dead-set on primary care of some kind AND are on the waitlist. They move the Rural Practice people to the head of the list, so you're basically guaranteed to get accepted. The scholarship/loan forgiveness sounds enticing, but if you're going to practice primary care, you'll have hospitals tripping over themselves to pay your loans in exchange for service, especially if you really do want to practice in rural Arkansas. Basically, the benefit the program offers is available to you anyway, and you can easily get it without the risk that you'll fall in love with dermatology and/or want to get the hell out of the state. Most people change their minds on specialties several times, so don't feel like your opinions now are going to hold throughout school. They might, but they probably won't.

Yea my stats are horrible, and if I get an interview and onto the waitlist- by miracle, I dont want to have signed up for the program. I am not in a position to be picky about what i'll have to do for the 3 years after graduation, i'll be happy enough to spend time in the backwoods of AR. ALso I am more inclined towards rural practice in teh first place, less traffic, you get to meet more people in the community, and low living costs. so it works out good for me.
Also I am not really doing it for the loan forgiveness thing, I can manage instate tuition, but doing so primarily because of the higher chance at getting accepted.

Thanks for the info though! really appreciate it. Do you know when UAMS starts sending out its primaries.

Arkansas resident, currently in New Orleans starting my MSPH (it's a one year)... I'll be applying for 2013. Best of luck to everyone! :thumbup:

I'm an Arkansas resident applying this cycle as well!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ALso I am more inclined towards rural practice in teh first place, less traffic, you get to meet more people in the community, and low living costs. so it works out good for me.
I don't think that you really get to meet more people in the community when doing rural practice, just a larger percentage. In fact, you'd probably have considerably more patients working in a city. I do understand the appeal of being a known figure in the town you live in, however. I'm just a city slicker and couldn't stand living anywhere that small.

How generous would yall say UAMS is with merit scholarships, and how competitive must one be to receive a merit scholarship? I'm currently sitting on a 3.9 and 35Q.
I'd say you're in good shape to get one, but UAMS, like most schools, isn't really all that generous. There just aren't as many people with stats as high as yours applying to go to school in Arkansas. Keep in mind, though, that it's going to be tough to keep/renew that scholarship. Lots of people do decently or well but don't crush the MCAT and go on to obliterate med school. I think you'll find there's very little correlation between undergrad performance and med school performance, both in class and on Step exams. Consequently, there are a lot of sleepers vying for that scholarship money.

I don't think that you really get to meet more people in the community when doing rural practice, just a larger percentage. In fact, you'd probably have considerably more patients working in a city. I do understand the appeal of being a known figure in the town you live in, however. I'm just a city slicker and couldn't stand living anywhere that small.

I dont know, Rural practice just attracts me more. Its not like I want to spend the rest of my life in some midwestern village, but I do want to spend some time in rural practice.

And someone that posted the letter... thanks for posting it... quite informative.

90%? I could've sworn I saw somewhere that they accepted more OOS.
I am from Texas, reapplicant, good GPA volunteering etc. but probably won't have an outlandishly high MCAT.
Anyone know what they look for in OOS? or my chances?

Regarding OOS:

A good friend of mine is from Texarkana - Texas side. He is engaged to a girl who was still in school here in AR. He got a 30 on the MCAT and had a decent GPA I think. He was put on the wait-list and then got accepted in May. I know that's kind of a single situation to judge things by, but maybe it helps.

They definitely look for strong ties for sure. Or so I've heard. And I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have 30+ on the MCAT.

submitted amcas yesterday. Its good that they interview all in states, meaning I can explain my poor undergrad performance, and hopefully wow them in the interview. UAMS is just 3 of the MD schools that I am applying to this year, and is obviously the top preference for me.

The school is really nice, the lib is almost always quiet, and I have now realized that people in Little Rock are nice. Not as nice and friendly as people in New Orleans, but way friendlier than from Texas.
Also I saw some of the new classes for med schools during my late night strolls across campus, and they are quite modern and really nicely built.

Keeping fingers crossed for this year, though I believe I dont have more than 10% chance to get in.. But will start a new bachelors to increase cGPA and sGPA in fall and apply earlier next year like (jun 1st)haha for a better chance.

submitted amcas yesterday. Its good that they interview all in states, meaning I can explain my poor undergrad performance, and hopefully wow them in the interview. UAMS is just 3 of the MD schools that I am applying to this year, and is obviously the top preference for me.

The school is really nice, the lib is almost always quiet, and I have now realized that people in Little Rock are nice. Not as nice and friendly as people in New Orleans, but way friendlier than from Texas.
Also I saw some of the new classes for med schools during my late night strolls across campus, and they are quite modern and really nicely built.

Keeping fingers crossed for this year, though I believe I dont have more than 10% chance to get in.. But will start a new bachelors to increase cGPA and sGPA in fall and apply earlier next year like (jun 1st)haha for a better chance.

People in New Orleans are for sure friendly. I'm finding that out. I lived in Little Rock last summer though, and I loved it though. It doesn't bother me to come back at all if I happen to get in.

I'm not sure if applying earlier next year really affects you a whole lot for UAMS though. I've been told by admissions that they don't look at everyone's applications until like December - and that's everyone. It gets you an earlier interview, but it was always my impression that was the only thing it really affected.

yes you're right. The adcom sits end of nov. i think, if my info is correct, to decide on the instate students.

with the data provided in a letter from by someone, i should have a decent chance... but you never know unless you get in!!! :D

I have a question for anyone already at UAMS... I was waiting around for physics senior year for the MCAT. Then I just got timid about taking it early summer with all of the graduate school, moving, etc. etc. [Graduated in May. Took three weeks off. Then started my MSPH here at Tulane. It's been a bit crazy.] So here I am sitting on an August MCAT date. I know that's not considered good. The rest of my app is, I feel, fairly decent though. Committee letter should be good, and the chair of pediatrics is writing my second. 3.82 GPA. Interned with ACHRI. My congressional district also might play to my favor - I'm hoping. And by August 2013, I should have my MSPH. Granted that I don't bomb the MCAT, is this enough to dig me out of my late MCAT date?

This is from 2011-2012. It's a letter to the Arkansas state legislature from the dean. It breaks down the average MCAT and GPA by congressional district. I thought this might be useful to post.

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assem...ollege of Medicine Additional Information.pdf

According to this link there was a little less than 400 applicants to UAMS last year, but according to http://www.uams.edu/com/comcat/2011-2012_Cat_Sects/2012_com_catalog_For-Applicant.pdf

174 of 2163 applicants have been accepted as of February 15, 2011.
• The undergraduate grade point average for accepted applicants was 3.66 based on a 4.0 scale.
• Average scores on the MCAT were 9.6, 9.6 and 10.0 respectively, in Verbal Reasoning, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences

There is over 2000 so who is right? trying to realistically see if I'm competitive being an AR resident from the 4th district, pm me for stats.

Both are right. There are <400 in-state applicants. The rest of the applicants are from out of state.

From District 4 last year, 62 people applied and 27 were accepted. This comprises a 43.5% acceptance rate for that district. The cumulative GPA for applicants is a 3.5 while the MCAT is a 23.6.

Basically, if you're above a 25 and a 3.5, you stand a pretty decent chance being from district 4.

Here is a chart that I made using data from the link.

Table.png

Map of congressional districts in Arkansas

arkansas-congr-dists.gif

And they actually accept an equal number from each district first - comprising 70% of the first 150 enrollment spots. Then the remaining 30% is a sort of "free-for-all" for all districts and up to 15% of that can be out of state. Or that's how I interpreted it (http://www.uams.edu/com/comcat/2011-2012_Cat_Sects/2012_com_catalog_For-Applicant.pdf)

This thread needs more lovin'

This thread needs more lovin'

Looks like it might just be you and me. :laugh:

Have you (or anyone else) received a secondary application for UAMS yet? I know they send them out in the mail, and it sounds like on their website that they send as soon as they know you're applying and don't want until verification and what not.

We are getting closer... I would love to go here Ahh...
I thought the website said you had to be verified and submitted?

Wow that map kinda makes me wish I was from district 4 instead of district 3... How much is MCAT weighted at UAMS, does good a GPA, travel, research, and extracurricular make up for a poorer MCAT? Still waiting on my MCAT scores but I’m optimistic on everything else!

What other medical schools are you all applying for?

We are getting closer... I would love to go here Ahh...
I thought the website said you had to be verified and submitted?

Wow that map kinda makes me wish I was from district 4 instead of district 3... How much is MCAT weighted at UAMS, does good a GPA, travel, research, and extracurricular make up for a poorer MCAT? Still waiting on my MCAT scores but I’m optimistic on everything else!

What other medical schools are you all applying for?

I'm quoting from here:
http://www.uams.edu/com/comcat/2011-2012_Cat_Sects/2012_com_catalog_For-Applicant.pdf

"Upon notification from AMCAS that you have applied, we will send you a UAMS College of Medicine Supplemental Application that provides an itemized list of other steps you must follow to complete your medical school application."

LSU-New Orleans had sent my secondary after simply receiving notification I was applying there, so based on wording, I assumed UAMS might be the same.

My AAMC was verified in early June. I hope Arkansas sends out the secondary soon. Snail mail??
LSU NO reapplicant here. Only school I applied to last round and last minute. Interviewed, rejected mid-May, spoke with the dean and he said I'm a great applicant....no reccommendations (OOS). Frustrating

Last edited:
My AAMC was verified in early June. I hope Arkansas sends out the secondary soon. Snail mail??
LSU NO reapplicant here. Only school I applied to last round and last minute. Interviewed, rejected mid-May, spoke with the dean and he said I'm a great applicant....no reccommendations (OOS). Frustrating

Yeah UAMS does snail mail. I got an email from Mrs. Linda DuPuy (admissions) today and she said they would be going out very soon. I'm guessing some of the rest of you guys got this email as well...?

Last edited:
I received the same email today around 4.

Scheduled my interview today. 3 months!

Sorry for the late entry to the thread, but welcome to all the future applicants out there! I'm a current M3 here and should be at all your interview days, so I look forward to meeting you all. I'll do my best to answer questions as I see them, but keep in mind that the current 2nd years and new 1st years are going to be the only ones that know anything from experience about the new curriculum (not yet of course), so they'll be the ones to grill about that.

Good luck to you all!

-Matt

Mailed in my secondary application about an hour ago. Now we play the waiting game. :scared:

what address do we use to send supplemental?

what address do we use to send supplemental?

Should be included with the supplemental paperwork, but it just goes back to the Admissions office I believe. Their address is:

Admissions Office
UAMS College of Medicine
4301 W. Markham St., #551
Little Rock, AR 72205

(in-state student) So I'm hoping I'm not drastically late but I'm taking the MCAT this Friday and hoping to submit my AMCAS by the following week. It's my understanding I can submit it for verification before I get my scores back and before all my LOR are in correct? Also once I submit it can I call UAMS for the secondary and interview date or what's the procedure there?

Thanks for your time and help!

(in-state student) So I'm hoping I'm not drastically late but I'm taking the MCAT this Friday and hoping to submit my AMCAS by the following week. It's my understanding I can submit it for verification before I get my scores back and before all my LOR are in correct? Also once I submit it can I call UAMS for the secondary and interview date or what's the procedure there?

Thanks for your time and help!

Yep, you can submit it for verification anytime, but I don't think schools actually look at your primary until the MCAT and LOR are in. After you've submitted the AMCAS, you can call UAMS to schedule your interview. Your application doesn't have to be verified in order to schedule. Within 1-2 weeks of submitting, you should receive a supplementary application.

Best of luck!

Well I just finished up the MCAT on Friday and I'm hoping to have my application submitted early this comming week. Any word on how full the interview dates are? Is the first one still open?

I look at this thread... and all I can think is Hunger Games! LoL!

I look at this thread... and all I can think is Hunger Games! LoL!

That is exactly what I was thinking!

Can't decide if I want to apply here or not. I submitted my primary last cycle, but never submitted the secondary. If I recall, it was because they they wanted 3 additional "personal" letters.

That is exactly what I was thinking!

Can't decide if I want to apply here or not. I submitted my primary last cycle, but never submitted the secondary. If I recall, it was because they they wanted 3 additional "personal" letters.

I don't recall anything like that being part of the UAMS secondary, but I suppose it may have changed recently. I haven't heard anything to indicate it has, though. They want the letters of rec through AMCAS letters like everyone else, and there are some questions and such on the secondary, but no extra "personal" letters that I know of.

The three personal letters are not required, but they are allowed.. and you submit them via AMCAS. It has nothing to do with the supplemental application.

That being said, who wouldn't want 3 more people singing their praises? ;)

The three additional letters are not mandatory. That part of the secondary is just a way for you to let them know if they should be expecting additional LORs.

The three personal letters are not required, but they are allowed.. and you submit them via AMCAS. It has nothing to do with the supplemental application.

That being said, who wouldn't want 3 more people singing their praises? ;)

For some reason I thought they were "highly recommended" or something. Anyways, I'm not sure I could find 3 additional people who could write a really good letter!

I had three excellent choices for personal LoRs, but I also had a bit of a career (including an unrelated degree and teacher's license) before turning to pre-med. An old boss, coworker, preacher/priest/rabbi/whatever, fraternity/sorority authority, family friend with a Little Rock city job, etc. would all be pretty decent choices if you're still looking.. especially here in the south. Hell, the UAMS mission explicitly mentions healthcare in the state before the region or nation. From what I understand, the adcom is very gung-ho about Arkansas since UAMS is the only option for Arkansans not willing to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.