2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try... Just a weird coincidence you joined sdn today?

Yeah i got a call from them today, at around 1:30 asking me for an interview the weird thing was they said it would be this coming tuesday, I was so in shock I started to freak out if it was a real interview, and no one else posted about it so I was double shocked, but if other people are getting interviews i'm feeling better about it since they didn't send me an email confirmation with details or update my status yet....

Members don't see this ad.

No i'm serious, i actually only joined to reply to this, because i was freaking out. That would be too cruel of a trick to do that. I'm seriously freaking out, because why would they give me such short notice. Should I call them about it or should i wait til I get the email confirmation?

Actually, I can confirm bruin123's post since they also called me at about that same time and offered me a Tuesday interview but haven't sent me an email yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beginning to think this is true... Just checked the Charles Drew/UCLA thread and someone on there mentioned receiving an II this week via phone call.

Brace yourselves...it's starting! :scared:

Beginning to think this is true... Just checked the Charles Drew/UCLA thread and someone on there mentioned receiving an II this week via phone call.

Brace yourselves...it's starting! :scared:

Oh snap... My bad. If so, definite apologies to you two and congrats!

Did you guys see an update on your applicant status page?

Its honestly ok, i'm still not sure yet especially with my average stats... if i get the email i'll update for sure.
Yeah, I got the phone call today at about 1:15pm today, too, about the interview invite and had scheduled it this coming Thursday (9/20).

No email yet and on-line status page has not been updated either.

Complete 8/6, IS, >3.9, >35

Just received the email and the status page is updated.

So for those getting interviews today, do you guys live close to UCLA? I wonder if today's batch is for people living close by because they can't expect us to buy a ticket and get to UCLA at such short notice.

So for those getting interviews today, do you guys live close to UCLA? I wonder if today's batch is for people living close by because they can't expect us to buy a ticket and get to UCLA at such short notice.

Yup, I live in Los Angeles.

Members don't see this ad :)
No i'm serious, i actually only joined to reply to this, because i was freaking out. That would be too cruel of a trick to do that. I'm seriously freaking out, because why would they give me such short notice. Should I call them about it or should i wait til I get the email confirmation?

I feel that UCLA tends to give short notice in interviews, Im assuming its for those who live locally. When I applied (2 cycles ago), my interview invite was around 4-5 days before my interview-- though it was via email and not phone call.

Just call them about it if it concerns you-- theyre friendly people and theres no use sitting around and freaking out when in the end its an interview invite

so be stoked!

I feel that UCLA tends to give short notice in interviews, Im assuming its for those who live locally. When I applied (2 cycles ago), my interview invite was around 4-5 days before my interview-- though it was via email and not phone call.

Just call them about it if it concerns you-- theyre friendly people and theres no use sitting around and freaking out when in the end its an interview invite

so be stoked!

thanks man! I finally got the email/status update so gl to everyone else too, and for those of you waiting, don't stress too much about your stats, i have very modest stats so they definitely must look at ECs and everything.

angelino, yes, and they're super nice on the phone...
where do we go?

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Box 957035
12-105 Center for the Health Sciences
Los Angeles, California 90095-7035

where is that? across from the rose garden and to the west a couple hundred feet?

i just want to go to the right place.

ideas?
be nice

angelino, yes, and they're super nice on the phone...
where do we go?

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Box 957035
12-105 Center for the Health Sciences
Los Angeles, California 90095-7035

where is that? across from the rose garden and to the west a couple hundred feet?

i just want to go to the right place.

ideas?
be nice

Its across the street from the botanical gardens (idk if thats what you mean by "rose garden")-- its slightly south of the tiverton/charles e young dr south intersection.

Hi I just finished the UCLA secondary does anyone remembered after the end of the essay questions there are some questions you have to click I wonder is there one for crime history ro something like that?

Hi I just finished the UCLA secondary does anyone remembered after the end of the essay questions there are some questions you have to click I wonder is there one for crime history ro something like that?

You got something to hide buddy, eh? :cool:

lol not really but i just want to make sure i did not click on the wrong button

Just got interview invite today. Amazingly thankful and excited! Especially since I got a string of rejections before this one and this is my very number one top choice! Completed mid august if anyone is wondering

Just got interview invite today. Amazingly thankful and excited! Especially since I got a string of rejections before this one and this is my very number one top choice! Completed mid august if anyone is wondering

Just wondering, are you from the LA area?

Yes, why? Is there a pattern of them inviting dependent on geographic location?

Yes, why? Is there a pattern of them inviting dependent on geographic location?

Looks like it, at least to some degree.

Speaking of patterns, I have a question for the interview invitees (Congrats, btw!). How quickly did you guys turn around your secondary and submit it?

Last edited:
Looks like it, at least to some degree.

Speaking of patterns, I have a question for the interview invitees (Congrats, btw!). How quickly did you guys turn around your secondary and submit it?

a little less than a 2 week turn around.

Received secondary middle of July and waited a month to turn it in

Last edited:
Hey UCLA thread!

So I got their email informing me that they've received my amcas app on 8/6. I logged into the application status page and the only row filled out is the "received letters of rec."

I'm guessing based on previous entries in this thread that they could take a while to send you a secondary... but it's been 6 weeks! I'm a little worried/very sad. haha

Did anybody call the admissions office inquiring about the secondary invite.. or, is this a bad idea?

Thanks so much! =) And congrats to those who have interviews-- needless to say, this school is to die for.

(Idk if stats matter but I'm IS, 3.7+ gpa, 35+ mcat)

Derevko what's your mcat subscore? Maybe one section is screened out

So I just logged into the application status link for maybe the first time since filling it out (have been complete for quite some time now) -- and my application is not found?! Has anyone had this problem? Is it just temporary?

So I just logged into the application status link for maybe the first time since filling it out (have been complete for quite some time now) -- and my application is not found?! Has anyone had this problem? Is it just temporary?

Yes,

I'm in the same scenario. I tried to email (although I think I might've responded to the non-monitored address), and I left a voicemail yesterday to ask if there's a problem with my account. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Paranoid question: does UCLA not send out a "received secondary application"/"secondary is complete" e-mail?

Yes,

I'm in the same scenario. I tried to email (although I think I might've responded to the non-monitored address), and I left a voicemail yesterday to ask if there's a problem with my account. Will let you know if I hear anything.

OK, I just got off the phone with the lady. I am Canadian and she said that I should leave the SS# field blank. That worked for me - I don't know whether you are international or not, but worth trying regardless!

Hey UCLA thread!

So I got their email informing me that they've received my amcas app on 8/6. I logged into the application status page and the only row filled out is the "received letters of rec."

I'm guessing based on previous entries in this thread that they could take a while to send you a secondary... but it's been 6 weeks! I'm a little worried/very sad. haha

Did anybody call the admissions office inquiring about the secondary invite.. or, is this a bad idea?

Thanks so much! =) And congrats to those who have interviews-- needless to say, this school is to die for.

(Idk if stats matter but I'm IS, 3.7+ gpa, 35+ mcat)

Ditto this concern. I am in the same timeline situation as you are (though I can't boast the same stellar stats as you). It appears that UCLA is sending out secondaries in batches. They did send some out in later August, and so maybe they will send out another batch in late September. Here is to hoping!

EDIT: I am going to wait another month or so and then I will be itching to call and inquire about a secondary invite..

Paranoid question: does UCLA not send out a "received secondary application"/"secondary is complete" e-mail?

I never received one. My status page just showed my supplemental and letters as received.

OK, I just got off the phone with the lady. I am Canadian and she said that I should leave the SS# field blank. That worked for me - I don't know whether you are international or not, but worth trying regardless!

It actually just magically fixed itself!

They also don't leave a number in the presecondary email so I think that's a hint to not call them yet..

Last edited:
Ditto this concern. I am in the same timeline situation as you are (though I can't boast the same stellar stats as you). It appears that UCLA is sending out secondaries in batches. They did send some out in later August, and so maybe they will send out another batch in late September. Here is to hoping!

EDIT: I am going to wait another month or so and then I will be itching to call and inquire about a secondary invite..
Okay... if they send out another batch at the end of this month and I don't get one, maybe I'll call..

I just don't know if it's a good idea to bug them since I'm at the pre-secondary stage and they've specified that they have until January to send them out (according to http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/admiss/Regular_MD_Timeline.htm).

But thanks for the reply. It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one even though this boat we're in isn't too desirable. haha

Does anybody know if UCLA is receptive to "in the area" requests?

Another paranoid question... On the status page it says "Your online forms are due on ____". Is that supposed to go away when you turn in your secondary and they receive LORs or does it just stay? Mine is still there, making me paranoid that I didn't do something... Thanks, peeps.

Another paranoid question... On the status page it says "Your online forms are due on ____". Is that supposed to go away when you turn in your secondary and they receive LORs or does it just stay? Mine is still there, making me paranoid that I didn't do something... Thanks, peeps.

It doesn't go away. My status page still shows that, too.

Did anyone interview here yesterday? Could anyone share general impressions about MMI? I know you can't share specifics, but did you guys like the MMI?

Mine went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.